Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
The Omega Concern
Banned

Default Antoine Dufour - 1979 (Smashing Pumpkins) - Acoustic Guitar

Bravo!!!

Last edited by The Omega Concern : 06-30-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i didn't even know slap harmonics were a thing. sounds awesome

Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 AM   #3
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Very fucking cool. Verse melody sorta resembles the 2000 tour version.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
T&T
Socialphobic

gf in the other room - "are you streaming to the starbucks channel on spotify?"

Old 07-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

OT but this cover of IOTM is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-q3V8DNHk

Old 07-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
The Omega Concern
Banned

She's got potential, but needs a little of the "o.k. but next time with feeling" performer pep-talk.

I was on one of those crazy You-tube music rolls that I think started with John Waite to a "10 bands you won't believe exist" mish-mash to the Alan Parsons Project to SP's 1979...and I see a comment where someone needed to check out the tune his favorite guitarist covered, this Antoine guy. So I checked out this cover and didn't expect I'd see one of those guys that makes you want to quit guitar.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

I think it's pretty cool. Went to his website and downloaded it.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
The Omega Concern
Banned

It's a nice way to be reminded the guitar can be a percussive instrument as well.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #9
slunken
Virgo

this video is pretty fucking lame

you know how hipsters complain about eddie van halen and stuff? put this up there with that.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

I'm not seeing anything other than some simple latin/blues techniques happening, which is pretty easy to do if white people would stop down-strumming all the time

Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Mesmerized by the grody fingernails

Given the choice between being able to play this well and having non-cocaine-snorting-ass gnarly fingernails, I've gotta go with the hygienic option every time

How do you live with yourself, dude

Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Dude replies to Topleybird only god can judge me bro

Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
redbreegull

slunken are you experiencing really bad constipation lately or are you just feeling inadequate about your own music skills?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #14
The Omega Concern
Banned

Slunken,

are you not seeing/hearing the Jimmy like tap pattern he's doing while slapp papping around all those harmonics I've never heard quite like that before? Standard fingering but it sounds like some type of alt tuning. Anyway, I think its pretty cool and part of that is you can tell he really understands the song in a way I don't hear much in pumpkin covers.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #15
FoolofaTook

I'm waiting for Boris to cover Mayo.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #16
sjpaterra
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Mesmerized by the grody fingernails

Given the choice between being able to play this well and having non-cocaine-snorting-ass gnarly fingernails, I've gotta go with the hygienic option every time

How do you live with yourself, dude
lol... you are very misinformed.

True concert guitarists always play with a combination of flesh and nail. Typically we are fastidious about our nails and we file, shape, smooth, and buff our nails every day as part of our "warm-up" (a good 2-3 minutes of nail care every day is all it takes). So, to be honest, the nails on a concert/classical guitarist's right hand are almost ALWAYS beautifully manicured, deliberately and intentionally shaped, beveled, smooth as glass, clean, and very hygienic.

Why?

Because the tone is incomparable and the volume produced is FAR greater when compared to playing without the nails. The nails also help you to exploit the guitar's dynamic range of timbres and effects so that playing tasto and ponticello actually sound different. We use our polex, index, medius, and annularis. We don't use the pinky so we usually treat that one as though it were on the left hand (so to speak) and tend to not grow the right hand pinky.

Playing without the nails results in a dull, quiet, lackluster tone. There are no professional working world class guitarists who play concert repertoire without nails. It's a tradition that's literally hundreds of years old.

Flamenco guitarists also use their nails but that tradition evolved later and was heavily influenced by classical guitar music anyway.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
slunken are you experiencing really bad constipation lately or are you just feeling inadequate about your own music skills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
Slunken,

are you not seeing/hearing the Jimmy like tap pattern he's doing while slapp papping around all those harmonics I've never heard quite like that before? Standard fingering but it sounds like some type of alt tuning. Anyway, I think its pretty cool and part of that is you can tell he really understands the song in a way I don't hear much in pumpkin covers.
1) If you guys can't tell that's an edited performance (at least from the multiple camera angles) than I don't know what to tell you. Some of the audio clearly doesn't sync up with the visual performance. Do you really think he has 4 cameras pointing on him?

Or do you think he's that amazing of an editor to make it seem like one seamless performance?

2) Yes it's an interesting technique (for a smashing pumpkins cover) but it's really nothing that wild.

You guys need to research your country blues if your pants are blown off by that dude. I mean at least listen to the first 12 bars of each of these performances and tell me which one do you acclaim.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #19
The Omega Concern
Banned

those are cool vids.

Slunken, you'd probably know of this guy but I can't think of his name. I'm pretty sure his first name is Steve or Stevie...black guy who plays tap guitar on his lap plucking it with both hands almost like it was a piano. Was prominent in the 80's I believe.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
FoolofaTook

That would be Stevie Nicks.

There is a pussycat at the Walla Walla Shelter who is named Stevie, after the prominent singer of the 80s.

She is old and obese but she sneaks into my lap for pleasurable petting (which she does with no-one else, thank you very much).

Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #21
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post

2) Yes it's an interesting technique (for a smashing pumpkins cover) but it's really nothing that wild.

You guys need to research your country blues if your pants are blown off by that dude. I mean at least listen to the first 12 bars of each of these performances and tell me which one do you acclaim.

Speaking of technique. That playa's name popped into my head the other day -- Stanley Jordan.

Go ahead and jump to the 1:30 minute mark or so...In addition to his pure tone and dexterity, I'm rather admiring the musician's around him who understand how to accent a lead properly.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #22
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

If he's really making that rim sound by clacking his hand on the top of the guitar body, that would hurt like hell.

Ow.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #23
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
OT but this cover of IOTM is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-q3V8DNHk
I love this girl. I started a thread about her here, recently. She used to have a bunch of SP covers on youtube, but took them down. I don't know what happened to her, but a few people here knew her name.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #24
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post

True concert guitarists always play with a combination of flesh and nail. Typically we are fastidious about our nails and we file, shape, smooth, and buff our nails every day as part of our "warm-up" (a good 2-3 minutes of nail care every day is all it takes). So, to be honest, the nails on a concert/classical guitarist's right hand are almost ALWAYS beautifully manicured, deliberately and intentionally shaped, beveled, smooth as glass, clean, and very hygienic.

Why?

Because the tone is incomparable and the volume produced is FAR greater when compared to playing without the nails. The nails also help you to exploit the guitar's dynamic range of timbres and effects so that playing tasto and ponticello actually sound different. We use our polex, index, medius, and annularis. We don't use the pinky so we usually treat that one as though it were on the left hand (so to speak) and tend to not grow the right hand pinky.

Playing without the nails results in a dull, quiet, lackluster tone. There are no professional working world class guitarists who play concert repertoire without nails. It's a tradition that's literally hundreds of years old.

Flamenco guitarists also use their nails but that tradition evolved later and was heavily influenced by classical guitar music anyway.

What a lovely post. Reminds of the old days 'round here. Any tips on strengthening fingernails? From diet to a type of nail polish, whaddya got?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #25
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Very fucking cool. Verse melody sorta resembles the 2000 tour version.
Can you recommend one of the better performances of that version?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #26
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

very cool, wonder how long it took to work out all the parts and timing

Old 08-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #27
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post

[A lot of jibber-jabber trying to justify grody-ass fingernails]
LOL, those are some grody-ass fingernails