Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default sports bros

margin

Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Bread Regal
Banned

can someone explain to me why the ncaa football scheduling isn't done exactly identically to say, march madness?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Eulogy
huh

Because playing that many football games would be pretty ridiculous. An 8-team playoff would be perfect.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Eulogy
huh

It's moving to a four team playoff next year.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Bread Regal
Banned

i did hear that, a four team playoff seems stupid and the whole thing with selection by committee seems even more stupid.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

college football should be outlawed

Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i did hear that, a four team playoff seems stupid and the whole thing with selection by committee seems even more stupid.
that's how march madness works too

what would your solution be? honest question. mine would be an 8 team playoff. if you can't get in the top 8 under any metric you fucked up somewhere along the way and probably don't deserve a shot.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
Bread Regal
Banned

I'd probably do something similar to how the world cup is done.

Restructure the Division 1 conferences. There are currently 128 division 1 teams. Which is nice because that evenly divides into 16 groups of 8. Single round robin in the regular season and top two finishers in each conference go to a round of 32. That's 5 rounds, which is 13 games max per season. I don't think that's too grueling, and can easily be padded with 1 or 2 interconference matchups in the regular season.

I understand that restructuring the conferences would probably be a very complicated process but when all is said and done, you'd actually know who the real champion is without everyone bitching that the noles has an easy season or something.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Bread Regal
Banned

actually reading more about it, i restructuring the conference would be pretty much impossible, but you know, if i were king, that's what i'd do.

also i'd make sure that the players got paid through some sort of revenue sharing program.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah fuckin promotion/relegation would get me back into CFB

and a once monthly cup match

but see america wants to know the definitive #1 by way of arbitrary one and done playoff systems

by the way texas hiring a black man was finally a piece of good news

Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:

also i'd make sure that the players got paid through some sort of revenue sharing program.
you fucking communist

i figure they should just let them sign shoe deals

i mean i'd like to outlaw the association between athletic clubs and universities but it's "tradition" or whatever the fuck

Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Bread Regal
Banned

That is sort of maddening. Every time someone talks about college football, I feel like steven fry in this clip

I mean, I will defend the fact that universities have marching bands, as ridiculous as they are, because you can actually get a degree in musical performance and people won't necessarily laugh at you. You can't get a degree in football.

I probably shouldn't actually bring up that notion in a debate, or else it might gain some steam and alabama will start offering it in 5 years.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
I'd probably do something similar to how the world cup is done.

Restructure the Division 1 conferences. There are currently 128 division 1 teams. Which is nice because that evenly divides into 16 groups of 8. Single round robin in the regular season and top two finishers in each conference go to a round of 32. That's 5 rounds, which is 13 games max per season. I don't think that's too grueling, and can easily be padded with 1 or 2 interconference matchups in the regular season.

I understand that restructuring the conferences would probably be a very complicated process but when all is said and done, you'd actually know who the real champion is without everyone bitching that the noles has an easy season or something.
i don't think anyone is complaining about the 'noles, aside from the fact they were led by a likely rapist

and if you get rid of pre-season polls and move the playoff to 8 teams, i really doubt there would be problems.

college sports are inherently disparate. can't really treat it like a unified pro league or whatever.

and players should absolutely be able to get sponsorship deals. revenue sharing is good in theory but difficult in practice... who gets how much money? what about non-revenue sports?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #14
Trotskilicious
Banned

nothing more than a local derby!!!!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
Eulogy
huh

Quote:

I mean, I will defend the fact that universities have marching bands, as ridiculous as they are, because you can actually get a degree in musical performance and people won't necessarily laugh at you. You can't get a degree in football.
just as an intellectual exercise, why is musical performance inherently more valuable?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #16
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
i don't think anyone is complaining about the 'noles, aside from the fact they were led by a likely rapist

and if you get rid of pre-season polls and move the playoff to 8 teams, i really doubt there would be problems.

college sports are inherently disparate. can't really treat it like a unified pro league or whatever.

and players should absolutely be able to get sponsorship deals. revenue sharing is good in theory but difficult in practice... who gets how much money? what about non-revenue sports?
as i understand it, revenue from football programs often support the other sports like lacrosse or whatever, so that complicates it too. but these people are making hand over fist. UCF's football coach pulls in a cool mil per year and he gets to avoid things like concussions and spinal injuries.

that's fucked up.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #17
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
just as an intellectual exercise, why is musical performance inherently more valuable?
i'm not saying one is more valuable than the other. and i don't want to be reductive and say that football is just jocks brutalizing eachother. but if a university wants to at least pretend that it's interested in the preservation of culture and knowledge, the fine arts are certainly more relevant to that pursuit than athletics.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
Eulogy
huh

why?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
Eulogy
huh

(and there is the matter of what pays for the marching bands.... and scholarships and research facilities blahblah)

i'm (mostly) an unapologetic fan of college athletics, especially football. so i may not be the right person to have this conversation with

Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #20
Bread Regal
Banned

Because a musical performance isn't a contest.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #21
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Because a musical performance isn't a contest.
why is a contest inherently inferior?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #22
Bread Regal
Banned

And I'm alright with having this conversation with you and I have no hard feelings, but if college athletics were to be banned tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a single tear and I'd honestly be a little happy with it.

Same with non-academic greek organizations.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #23
Eulogy
huh

Quote:

Same with non-academic greek organizations.
well we're in agreement here

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #24
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
why is a contest inherently inferior?
not saying it's inferior. i'm saying it's incongruous with what an educational institution should aspire to be.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #25
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
not saying it's inferior. i'm saying it's incongruous with what an educational institution should aspire to be.
well this leads me again to ask... why? i could make an argument that football (and pretty much every sport) has the opportunity to be an educational endeavor. the line between musical performance and sports seems fairly arbitrary to me.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #26
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
That is sort of maddening. Every time someone talks about college football, I feel like steven fry in this clip

I probably shouldn't actually bring up that notion in a debate, or else it might gain some steam and alabama will start offering it in 5 years.

It's a fraternity of sorts and if a guy loves the sport that much and wants to coach, staying in the frat keeps you in the loop for jobs. Stronger than a degree in many aspects, just depends on your contacts.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #27
Bread Regal
Banned

It's not that arbitrary. It's not exactly outlandish to say that legitimate educational institutions since the beginning of time have one singular interest in common: the proliferation and preservation of knowledge and culture.

it's hard to wedge "besting a cross state rival in athletic contests" into that definition.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #28
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
It's a fraternity of sorts and if a guy loves the sport that much and wants to coach, staying in the frat keeps you in the loop for jobs. Stronger than a degree in many aspects, just depends on your contacts.
i see that the new world order has successfully used their voice to skull technology to take your mind off of being a slave.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #29
Bread Regal
Banned

fuckin sheeple

Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #30
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
It's not that arbitrary. It's not exactly outlandish to say that legitimate educational institutions since the beginning of time have one singular interest in common: the proliferation and preservation of knowledge and culture.

it's hard to wedge "besting a cross state rival in athletic contests" into that definition.
athletic contests have nothing to do with knowledge or culture? i'd like an argument other than "one has been around longer." not that that's invalid. just not very convincing.