Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 AM   #31
Mo
Immortal

Oh, and try to find a therapist who doesn't give out medication like candy. I was on antideps for a pretty long time and felt even more depressed than before.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I went to a psychotherapist first (which I think is like a psychoanalyst?) and talked to her for awhile, but no matter what I said for some reason all she seemed to hear was, "My parents ruined my life", when I really don't think my parents are the root of my problems at all. She then referred me to a psychiatrist in the same building who just prescribed me shit and and told me horror stories about prozac causing kids to fling themselves from tall buildings.

So what kind of financial proposition am I looking at?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #33
Mo
Immortal

Psychoanalyst != psychotherapist != psychiatrist, AFAIK.

I think psychotherapists don't have a real doctor's degree, and psychoanalysts primarily create psychological profiles, based on which psychiatrists/psychotherapists may treat you.

But that's prolly bullshit.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 AM   #34
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor. Prescribing medication is what they do. Don't expect to see a psychiatrist for talk therapy.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #35
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsaw
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor. Prescribing medication is what they do. Don't expect to see a psychiatrist for talk therapy.
yeah I know.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #36
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i go to a psychiatrist for depression and panic disorder. i get prescribed klonopin for panic attacks, trazodone for sleep and lexapro for depression. I took myself off the lexapro months ago, because of the 'depersonalized' feeling it gives you... I'd rather be depressed than feel nothing. HOWEVER, if it is getting to the point where you can't get up in the morning, don't take showers, etc, then antidepressants are worth it imo. Just stay on it a short time (say 6 months or so) until you feel more leveled, aren't thinking about suicide, etc. I should take my own advice.

As far as therapy, when I was about 13-14 my parents made me go, and it did not help because I wasn't honest with the therapist. It wasn't the therapist's fault, I was just a wreck of a child who kept everything inside. Anyway, good luck.

There are a lot of medications and a lot of other ways to treat depression. Don't give up because of a couple failed attempts to get help

Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #37
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Last edited by GlasgowKiss : 12-21-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #38
twice
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85
i go to a psychiatrist for depression and panic disorder. i get prescribed klonopin for panic attacks, trazodone for sleep and lexapro for depression. I took myself off the lexapro months ago, because of the 'depersonalized' feeling it gives you... I'd rather be depressed than feel nothing. HOWEVER, if it is getting to the point where you can't get up in the morning, don't take showers, etc, then antidepressants are worth it imo. Just stay on it a short time (say 6 months or so) until you feel more leveled, aren't thinking about suicide, etc. I should take my own advice.

As far as therapy, when I was about 13-14 my parents made me go, and it did not help because I wasn't honest with the therapist. It wasn't the therapist's fault, I was just a wreck of a child who kept everything inside. Anyway, good luck.

There are a lot of medications and a lot of other ways to treat depression. Don't give up because of a couple failed attempts to get help
i was supposed to take lexapro but my insides became so sensitive that i didn't even last the first week of the bottle. mostly i was deathly afraid of feeling nothing, though. despite this my psychiatrist kept trying to push for me to take them- insisting that if anything, i would lose only the negative and the positive would be enabled and even increased. oversimplified, obviously, but you know. guess what i'm getting at is..could you go through a bit more of what you experience and why you finally decided to stop taking that? how does this affect you now? oh and can you send me some trazodone please? i miss deep sleep.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #39
twice
Socialphobic

redbreed?
if i may suggest- it's dandy you're asking around for outside information concerning your own health- really it's great- but don't let any of this determine your own course of action. the best advice i've been given has been to figure shit out through trial and error. at the very least you'll know something about yourself you previously had no way of comprehending. in any case, you need to get yourself into an office and ask these questions to professionals.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #40
Mayfuck
Banned

for crying out loud

Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #41
twice
Socialphobic

care to elaborate, mayfuck

Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #42
Olivier
Apocalyptic Poster

I just got out of a 'behavioral health facility.'

i legally couldn't leave, and now i'm going to a therapist regularly.

i HATE it.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #43
redchandelier
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull
I had a bad experience, all they wanted me to do was take medication, and the therapist tried to convince me all my problems could be traced back to my parents, which I disagree with.

Unfortunately there are many therapists out there that are too suggestive,etc. If you honestly feel that your problems do not begin with your parents, well then I'm happy you didn't let your therapist convince you of that, many would have. When it comes to therapy, you really do kind of have to shop around and find one that works for you. Since you say you are constantly thinking about suicide, most psychiatrists, all I'm sure, would prescribe some type of medication for you, which would suck because it will either make help or make it a hell of a lot worse. Regardless of what type of therapist you choose (and they probably won't inform you of this) it'll get worse before it gets better, so I hope you don't get discouraged. Maybe try talking to a friend about what the problem really is, sometimes that's enough, and can help a lot.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #44
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twice
care to elaborate, mayfuck

rb comes in here, says 'wah wah wah i'm depressed', gets the benefit of the doubt from people who try to give him some pointers, and he bats them out of the air with 'wah wah that won't work i hate ____. and i hate ____. wah wah i'm depressed." which is maybe par for the course for the woe is me attention-getting phase of young male depression, but if so this thread doesn't have much to do with him having an actual deep-down willingness to get help. frustrating to see. hopefully i'm wrong and he'll at least listen to the people who are talking about their therapy experiences.

at some point what he might really need is for someone he highly respects and looks up to on a personal level to start calling him on his bullshit. if he can find a therapist that fits the bill, great, but what can sometimes be far more inspiring is a friend's slightly brutal honesty. one of the best ways to say 'you're worth something and i really care about you' is to actively refuse to participate in someone's pity party.

eh but that's probably not what mayfuck was talking about at all

Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #45
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm depressed a lot but that's because I think about things too much and it can drive me crazy. The thing I think about the most is the meaningless nature of life itself and why we're even here. In my seminar class we read a lot of philosophical texts that have opened my eyes, but other than that I would recommending finding God, redbreegull...seriously.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #46
AnnMarie727
Apocalyptic Poster

Redbreegull,

Hang in there. Depression doesn't have to rule your life. And life is so beautiful and wonderful. I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle and the pain that you are experiencing but you can get better!
I have experineced depression. And really terrible depression the kind that you are having now when i was your age and then some. Someone once described depression as being a sort of "cancer of the soul". It's terrible but it is so fightable. People experience it for all different reasons but it doens't have to rule your life and consume your being. You are in charge! Not the depression.
Therapy will only work if you find a therapist that YOU connect with. That you feel comfortable talking to and trust on personal level. Look for one, and keep looking until you find the right person. I am very spiritual and when I encounter problems I pray to God to ask what I should do. If you need I would recommend praying first and foremost. God is always there and wants to hear from you.
Medication can be helpful if you are clinically depressed or experiencing other things that could be helped by meds. But I believe that once you are strong enough you can move on from meds. This was my experience. Meds are a tool. Just one tool of many many that can help you get better! And of course you have to find one that is best for you. You should also look for a QUALITY Psychiatrist. There are actual good ones out there. that will take the time to really figure out what is going on. and if it's a good one they will encourage you to get a therapist and also support YOU in your getting Better. people dont have to be on meds forever. though some people do.
Listen to yourself. Listen to your inner voice because that is what is screaming out to be heard. Love who you are and take care of yourself. You deserve everything beautiful and wonderful in life because God made you for a reason and so loves you and wants you to be happy. Dont let anyone or anything (depression) take that away from you! Fight for yourself! it gets easier as you get stronger. and i so believe that you can beat this. It's very defeatable and once you beat it there will be nothing that you can't do. So here's to You. (Makes a toast to Life)

With God all things are possible.

God loves you and waits to hear from you!

Much Love,
Mayday

Old 12-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #47
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

haha I referred him to God before you

Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #48
twice
Socialphobic

holy shit, i think i need a minute

Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #49
AnnMarie727
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
haha I referred him to God before you

good the more people sharing the news about God the better!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #50
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
but other than that I would recommending finding God, redbreegull...seriously.

actually this is a good first step.

redbreegull think back, where was the last place you had him?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #51
Debaser
ghost

Is AnnMarie a troll?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #52
twice
Socialphobic

i'm hiding him in my pocket. swear to god.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #53
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

lol @ Mariner

Old 12-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #54
redbreegull

I think AnnMarie is a troll, not sure. Anyway I don't need or want God. I need to find a purpose, or at least something in my everyday life to make me happy, because right now all my days are long and lonely. And to Mariner, obviously I wouldn't have started a thread asking for advice on therapists if I wasn't going to look into it.

For those of you who do go to therapy, how much does it cost you?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #55
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

Quote:
i'm hiding him in my pocket. swear to god.

in many third world countries it is considered bad luck to swear to things currently on your person

Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #56
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Last edited by GlasgowKiss : 12-21-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: mariner said what i deleted earlier in a way more conducive to an actual solution and will say what i want to say in a way more conducive to an actual solution

Old 12-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #57
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

i am the mouth of glasgowkiss

behold my towering goth-deco iron helmet

Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #58
redbull
Immortal

I have had no good experiences with therapy. don't go.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #59
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
i was supposed to take lexapro but my insides became so sensitive that i didn't even last the first week of the bottle. mostly i was deathly afraid of feeling nothing, though. despite this my psychiatrist kept trying to push for me to take them- insisting that if anything, i would lose only the negative and the positive would be enabled and even increased. oversimplified, obviously, but you know. guess what i'm getting at is..could you go through a bit more of what you experience and why you finally decided to stop taking that? how does this affect you now? oh and can you send me some trazodone please? i miss deep sleep.
I've been clinically depressed for as long as I can remember. My parents brought me to doctors and therapists, but I really hated the whole thing. I was also diagnosed with OCD, but I don't think I really have it. I refused to take medicine for a very long time. Then, one day I started having panic attacks... that were so bad I couldn't work, I couldn't talk, I couldn't do anything. At that point I felt like I HAD to take something to stop them... I can live with depression, but I couldn't live with the panic attacks. I was on lexapro for about a year I would say, it made me very sick for months, and I already had stomach problems. But it was necessary, I felt, for that time.
Then one day I decided I had enough, I was really starting to feel depersonalized and I didn't care about anything, I would automatically do things without feeling any emotion, or even thinking about what I was doing. Suicide seemed funny, a lot of things just seemed funny, in a not appropriate kind of way... like 'I can't feel emotion, haha'... it was weird, sorry I can't explain it better. And I couldn't be creative in any way.

I have been off of it for about 8 months and while I have become more depressed and started getting panic attacks again, the panic attacks are manageable, and I just deal with everything else.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #60
Mayfuck
Banned