Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
tweedyburd
Ownz

Red face 2003 had the lowest number of international terrorist attacks since '69

http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/pgtrpt/2003/31569.htm
_ __
Patterns of Global Terrorism__ -2003
Released by the Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism
April 29, 2004
The Year in Review

There were 190 acts of international terrorism in 2003, a slight decrease from the 198 attacks that occurred in 2002, and a drop of 45 percent from the level in 2001 of 346 attacks. The figure in 2003 represents the lowest annual total of international terrorist attacks since 1969.

A total of 307 persons were killed in the attacks of 2003, far fewer than the 725 killed during 2002. A total of 1,593 persons were wounded in the attacks that occurred in 2003, down from 2,013 persons wounded the year before.

In 2003, the highest number of attacks (70) and the highest casualty count (159 persons dead and 951 wounded) occurred in Asia.

There were 82 anti-US attacks in 2003, which is up slightly from the 77 attacks the previous year, and represents a 62-percent decrease from the 219 attacks recorded in 2001.

Thirty-five American citizens died in 15 international terrorist attacks in 2003:

* Michael Rene Pouliot was killed on 21 January in Kuwait when a gunman fired at his vehicle that had halted at a stoplight.

* Thomas Janis was murdered by Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia terrorists on 13 February in Colombia. Mr. Janis was the pilot of a plane owned by Southern Command that crashed in the jungle. He and a Colombian army officer were wounded in the crash and shot when the terrorists discovered them. Three American passengers on the plane -- Keith Stansell, Marc D. Gonsalves, and Thomas R. Howes -- were kidnapped and are still being held hostage.

* William Hyde was killed on 4 March in Davao, Philippines, when a bomb hidden in a backpack exploded in a crowded airline terminal. Twenty other persons died, and 146 were wounded.

* The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) denies any connection to the suspected bomber who claimed he was an MILF member.

* Abigail Elizabeth Litle was killed on 5 March when a suicide bomber boarded a bus in Haifa, Israel, and detonated an explosive device.

* Rabbi Elnatan Eli Horowitz and his wife Debra Ruth Horowitz were killed on 7 March when a Palestinian gunman opened fire on them as they were eating dinner in the settlement of Kiryat Arba.

* The deadliest anti-US attack occurred in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on 12 May when suicide bombers in boobytrapped cars filled with explosives drove into the Vinnell Jadewel and Al-Hamra housing compounds, killing nine US citizens. Killed at the Vinnell compound were: Obaidah Yusuf Abdullah, Todd Michael Blair, Jason Eric Bentley, James Lee Carpenter II, Herman Diaz, Alex Jackson, Quincy Lee Knox, and Clifford J. Lawson. Mohammed Atef Al Kayyaly was killed at the Al-Hamra compound.
Alan Beer and Bertin Joseph Tita were killed on 11 June in a bus bombing near Klal Center on Jaffa Road near Jerusalem.

* Howard Craig Goldstein was killed in a shooting attack near the West Bank settlement of Ofra on 20 June.

* Fred Bryant, a civilian contractor, was killed on 5 August in Tikrit, Iraq, when his car ran over an improvised explosive device.

* Three Americans were among the victims of a deadly truck bombing of the UN headquarters in Baghdad’s Canal Hotel on 19 August. They were Arthur Helton, Richard Hooper, and Martha Teas. UN Special Representative Sergio Vieira de Mello was also among the 23 fatalities.

* Five Americans were killed in Jerusalem on 19 August when a suicide bomber riding on a bus detonated explosives attached to his body. They were Goldy Zarkowsky, Eli Zarkowsky, Mordechai Reinitz, Yessucher Dov Reinitz, and Tehilla Nathansen. Fifteen other persons were killed and 140 wounded in the attack.

* Dr. David Applebaum and his daughter Naava Applebaum were killed on 9 September in a bombing at the Cafe Hillel in Jerusalem.

* Three Americans were killed on 15 October in Gaza Strip as their US Embassy Tel Aviv motorcade was struck by an apparent roadside blast. They were John Branchizio, Mark T. Parson, and John Martin Linde, Jr. All three were security contractors.

* Lt. Col. Charles H. Buehring was killed on 26 October in Baghdad during a rocket-propelled grenade attack on the Al-Rasheed Hotel. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul D. Wolfowitz was staying at the hotel at the time of the attack.

* Two Americans, William Carlson and Christopher Glenn Mueller, were killed in an ambush by armed militants in Shkin, Afghanistan, on 27 October. Both were US Government contract workers.

Note

Most of the attacks that have occurred during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom do not meet the longstanding US definition of international terrorism because they were directed at combatants, that is, US and Coalition forces on duty. Attacks against noncombatants, that is, civilians and military personnel who at the time of the incident were unarmed and/or not on duty, are judged as terrorist attacks.

_

Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Interesting. I don't really know what to take away, you know? Whether it means much to the bigger picture or whether the numbers are so minimally lower that they don't represent a real drop. At any rate I guess it's good news.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Default Re: 2003 had the lowest number of international terrorist attacks since '69

Quote:
Originally posted by tweedyburd
* Lt. Col. Charles H. Buehring was killed on 26 October in Baghdad during a rocket-propelled grenade attack on the Al-Rasheed Hotel. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul D. Wolfowitz was staying at the hotel at the time of the attack.

Note

Most of the attacks that have occurred during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom do not meet the longstanding US definition of international terrorism because they were directed at combatants, that is, US and Coalition forces on duty. Attacks against noncombatants, that is, civilians and military personnel who at the time of the incident were unarmed and/or not on duty, are judged as terrorist attacks.
Ok, so were the attacks on Saddam's palaces terrorist acts then? It's pretty much the same thing as firing rockets into the hotel where some military commanders are staying. And I'm pretty sure combatants in Iraq have been described as 'terrorists'. The problem with these things is they're often skewed to a particular perspective. I mean, the highest number of deaths from terrorist attacks occurred in 2001, largely down to 9-11. But it you want to talk about the number of actual attacks, there were less in 2001 than in 2000. So there has been a decline in the number of attacks for some time, and 9-11 didn't change that trend.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
jczeroman

I'm sure more people than that died in Israel alone.

I lost any credence I had for statistics long ago.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
Mayfuck
Banned

Hey mods change tweedyburd's custom title to 'netphorian white house spokesman'

Old 04-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Nimrod
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Location: the cross i'm bearing home 'aint indicative of my place
Default Re: Re: 2003 had the lowest number of international terrorist attacks since '69

Quote:
Originally posted by DeviousJ

Ok, so were the attacks on Saddam's palaces terrorist acts then? It's pretty much the same thing as firing rockets into the hotel where some military commanders are staying. And I'm pretty sure combatants in Iraq have been described as 'terrorists'. The problem with these things is they're often skewed to a particular perspective. I mean, the highest number of deaths from terrorist attacks occurred in 2001, largely down to 9-11. But it you want to talk about the number of actual attacks, there were less in 2001 than in 2000. So there has been a decline in the number of attacks for some time, and 9-11 didn't change that trend.
So then, since I agree with you, there were even less terrorist attacks in 2003.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Default Re: Re: Re: 2003 had the lowest number of international terrorist attacks since '69

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod
So then, since I agree with you, there were even less terrorist attacks in 2003.
Absolutely. But if the implication is that this decrease is down to the 'War on Terror', I'm disputing it since the trend was already unbroken.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
Irrelevant
Minion of Satan

Default Re: 2003 had the lowest number of international terrorist attacks since '69

Quote:

There were 82 anti-US attacks in 2003, which is up slightly from the 77 attacks the previous year
look at all the progress we made.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:02 PM   #9
Mr. Rhinoceros

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck

Old 04-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
tweedyburd
Ownz

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck
I laughed.

If you payed the slightest bit of attention you would've noticed that I post more unflattering news about the administration than I do positive.

Anyhow, I just posted this for a bit of perspective. I never implied it meaned anything other than what it does and I knew people would interpret it in their own way. Yeah, the trend was downward prior to 9/11, but with all the talk we constantly hear about how our actions in Iraq are undoubtedly spawning more and more terrorist attacks around the globe it just seemed relevant that that's not the case at all in actual numbers, at least not now.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #11
kiwi
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking Re: 2003 had the lowest number of international terrorist attacks since '69

Quote:
* The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) denies any connection to the suspected bomber who claimed he was an MILF member.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #12
Mr. Rhinoceros

OH NO NOT THE MILF!