Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #211
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

TODAY IS THE DAY!

Ten of you have still not sent me links to your mix! Please try to get it in on time. AGAIN: If you are starting to think yours might be late, please PM me so I can let your partner know. I would rather know it is late but coming rather than wondering if you have fallen off the face of the earth.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #212
The New
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian zombie vampires View Post
also can the deuce upload your mix? almost every track on that id like to hear. i didnt know liam lynch had an album besides fake songs.
here is his mix: hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/r4dwuc

Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #213
noyen
Immortal

Default my mix

I just got my link this morning and i'm listening to it now after a bike ride in from work in the freezing ass cold.

track 1 - nice start. just what i was in the mood for, for some reason. i love the intro. when the drum kicks in it swoops me away to a desert. i think i've heard this before, or i think i know it, but i'm not quite sure yet. the song changes so much. i know this song, but it's not connecting in my brain freeze. fantastic song.
track 2 - whee here we go, i love the drum beat and tempo of the song from the get go. if i had a bottle of whiskey in my hands during this i would down the whole thing and go into a frenzy. never heard this before. love the song, but i'm not sure how i feel about the vocal(ists) can't tell if its just one guy overdubbed or if its two guys. i really like it though. massive whiskey drinking frea kout though. i really dig this. the change up in the middle is a bit weird though. fucking love this.
track 3 - i can tell we're going for a alt-country feel, but this is weird, almost baroque. it borders, and i mean that loosely, on dresden dollnessish. but i like this, so it can't be that twat. this just gets better and better. the chick reminds me of martine from tricky's band back in the day. thumbs upple. love and truth, aw yeah. preach on.
track 4 - okay, it's time to start drinking. i love this song. i know it well, but damn. this is a drinking mixtape. bring that sweet lovin on home to me. yeah.
track 5 - i can tell from the first 3 seconds what band it is. i haven't heard this song, but i'm down with the opiates. hah hah. i love this song though. nice switch to a groove, driving at night. the lyrics kick ass and i can picture myself driving at night with sunglasses on, shooting heroin as i drive through the strip.
track 6 - change up in groove again, this one is a good track but never really gets grooving for me. i think it's the drum beat. can tell it's hand drums or something. the lyrics are fantastic, and i love the back up vocals, but its something taking my drug, whiskey, blues and desert kick off the track a little for some reason.
track 7 - something avant now, more performance artsy. it gets interesting, really interesting around the last minute or two of the song. the rest doesnt quite work for me. and the outro gets kind of too orchestra-ey. hmm.
track 8 - from the same as above? except this kicks ass. nice drum journey. good scratch workout
track 9 - give me some more of that deep bass. i know this immediately. love this track. reminds me of so many "eras". and nostalgia kicks in pretty hard too. i think of bands from my youth. this is ahead of it's time. fucking awesome track.
track 10 - slows down nicely here. makes me want to cry. good stuff.
track 11 - this is a nice little love song. aww love.
track 12 - weird production. love this immediately. give me a dark room and a disco ball, and a bunch of glow in the dark paint. i want to make love to this song. on a train. this is so good. what is it? i never want this song to end. it might very well keep me alive another 30 years. thank you for this one, really. i like it a lot lot.
track 13 - praise the lord, give me a hand clap. i like this comedown. it's a bit weird on the vocals. but it's something to play while i'm recovering in the gutter
track 14 - okay, it's time to go to work. i like the instrumentation on this track, it's weird, and repetitive and trance like, and is never really a song. cool fucking beats.
track 15 - a weird twist around back to the country. chillin in my trailer park trailer. having a smoke. waiting to die. great depressing stuff.
track 16 - an excited chill, slow groove. laying me back down to sleep. i know this one as soon as the vocal kicks in, and i think of so many things.... there is something about his voice, and when he's singing about love or heartache (which is alot, eh?) it's just so familiar and safe. and the lyrics are perfect. especially with my situation now, its just perfect. if you find something good hold onto it... burn all the shit away. ahhh.... heroin produced a lot of good music.

thank you to whoever made my mix, i find it fantastic and will enjoy listening to more of it repeatedly.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #214
Mo
Immortal

Thumbs up

My review

#01 - A nice intro choice. Simple, instrumental, friendly. Sounds like someone deconstructed Johann Sebastian Bach though, and the drum loop is a bit dull. Kinda dawn-y.

#02 - Abba? C'mon now... http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon10.gif
I laughed, though I can't take this seriously.

#03 - I enjoy Joe Jackson quite a bit.

#04 - The Kinks!

#05 - Generic, but I like it; a solid rock song.

#06 - This is a very good Crash Test Dummies cover. I like it better than the original (which I only know from some live bootleg, but this doesn't sound like them at atll).

#07 - The first female voice, and I like it a lot. Who's that? I have the feeling that I should know this song...

#08 - More relaxed, but okay. I like the shakers and claps, they add a friendly touch. And again there's this feeling that I've heard this before.

#09 - Ahahaha. Perfect. At first I thought this was a girls voice, until I recognized the song.

#10 - Again, this is a track my dad would love (or maybe he already does). The fuck, why can't I remember song names?

#11 - I just burned "Dog In The Sand" for my girlfriend yesterday. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon14.gif

#12 - Hell yeah, awesome guitar intro. Definitely an Irish band. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon12.gif
What a nice instrumental, perfect interlude.

#13 - Could be from any year between 1969 and 2008. No idea, sounds like a 'classic' and, again, slightly familiar (especially the voice). Hm.
Great solo there at the end.

#14 - Zimmerman ftw.

#15 - Wow. Sounds like HIM vs John Mayer. Still, the first song I'd call "heavy".

#16 - I know that this song is on some compilation I once downloaded, but other than that... It's alright, something I'd listen to at 2 am.
I especially love the trumpets.

#17 - ABBA, again? Neat cover though, who's the lovely lady? Very chill.

#18 - Another instrumental? This could be the band from track one, with real instruments. I love how this song picks up momentum. Oh wait, there's the voice.
Wow, crunchy. What band is this?

#19 - This is called "She's Got You", right? Yeah, we sung this in our school choir once, I think. Alright version, maybe a bit too slow and reduced.

#20 - You really love the old stuff, huh? The voice sounds black (or wait, is it "urban" now?). Lovely, but not my cup of tea.

#21 - A live recording. Shit, I've heard this before. Some 80s track, I suppose? Sweet bass, annoying synthesizer melody work.

#22 - Uh, hair rock, get out your cocks. Sounds like a million albums my father listens to.

All in all this was very nice, it's playing for the third time in a row now and still not boring - and it's already our new toilet music.
You could very well be female and/or over 37. And I can't wait to check out some of the bands I didn't recognize.

Thank you very, very much.

/antipop (reviewed)

Last edited by Mo : 09-15-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #215
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
I just got my link this morning and i'm listening to it now after a bike ride in from work in the freezing ass cold.

track 1 - nice start. just what i was in the mood for, for some reason. i love the intro. when the drum kicks in it swoops me away to a desert. i think i've heard this before, or i think i know it, but i'm not quite sure yet. the song changes so much. i know this song, but it's not connecting in my brain freeze. fantastic song.
track 2 - whee here we go, i love the drum beat and tempo of the song from the get go. if i had a bottle of whiskey in my hands during this i would down the whole thing and go into a frenzy. never heard this before. love the song, but i'm not sure how i feel about the vocal(ists) can't tell if its just one guy overdubbed or if its two guys. i really like it though. massive whiskey drinking frea kout though. i really dig this. the change up in the middle is a bit weird though. fucking love this.
track 3 - i can tell we're going for a alt-country feel, but this is weird, almost baroque. it borders, and i mean that loosely, on dresden dollnessish. but i like this, so it can't be that twat. this just gets better and better. the chick reminds me of martine from tricky's band back in the day. thumbs upple. love and truth, aw yeah. preach on.
track 4 - okay, it's time to start drinking. i love this song. i know it well, but damn. this is a drinking mixtape. bring that sweet lovin on home to me. yeah.
track 5 - i can tell from the first 3 seconds what band it is. i haven't heard this song, but i'm down with the opiates. hah hah. i love this song though. nice switch to a groove, driving at night. the lyrics kick ass and i can picture myself driving at night with sunglasses on, shooting heroin as i drive through the strip.
track 6 - change up in groove again, this one is a good track but never really gets grooving for me. i think it's the drum beat. can tell it's hand drums or something. the lyrics are fantastic, and i love the back up vocals, but its something taking my drug, whiskey, blues and desert kick off the track a little for some reason.
track 7 - something avant now, more performance artsy. it gets interesting, really interesting around the last minute or two of the song. the rest doesnt quite work for me. and the outro gets kind of too orchestra-ey. hmm.
track 8 - from the same as above? except this kicks ass. nice drum journey. good scratch workout
track 9 - give me some more of that deep bass. i know this immediately. love this track. reminds me of so many "eras". and nostalgia kicks in pretty hard too. i think of bands from my youth. this is ahead of it's time. fucking awesome track.
track 10 - slows down nicely here. makes me want to cry. good stuff.
track 11 - this is a nice little love song. aww love.
track 12 - weird production. love this immediately. give me a dark room and a disco ball, and a bunch of glow in the dark paint. i want to make love to this song. on a train. this is so good. what is it? i never want this song to end. it might very well keep me alive another 30 years. thank you for this one, really. i like it a lot lot.
track 13 - praise the lord, give me a hand clap. i like this comedown. it's a bit weird on the vocals. but it's something to play while i'm recovering in the gutter
track 14 - okay, it's time to go to work. i like the instrumentation on this track, it's weird, and repetitive and trance like, and is never really a song. cool fucking beats.
track 15 - a weird twist around back to the country. chillin in my trailer park trailer. having a smoke. waiting to die. great depressing stuff.
track 16 - an excited chill, slow groove. laying me back down to sleep. i know this one as soon as the vocal kicks in, and i think of so many things.... there is something about his voice, and when he's singing about love or heartache (which is alot, eh?) it's just so familiar and safe. and the lyrics are perfect. especially with my situation now, its just perfect. if you find something good hold onto it... burn all the shit away. ahhh.... heroin produced a lot of good music.

thank you to whoever made my mix, i find it fantastic and will enjoy listening to more of it repeatedly.
hey man that was mine i know making a mix for you would be challenging and end up being one of those schizophrenic journey mixes. its like trying to be dark or droning vibes + songs i like so much i have to make them fit somehow + whatever i have that i think you might not have heard + trying to fit an inside joke which i gave up on. i can upload an album from some of these too.
here is the tracklist:
1 working for a nuclear free city - rocket
2 ted leo - parallel or together?
3 mother mother - love & truth
4 sam cooke - bring it on home to me
5 morphine - a good woman is hard to find
6 pink mountaintops - i fuck mountains
7 buck 65 - the floor
8 diplo - big lost
9 grinderman - electric alice (did you think this was old?)
10 beck - brother
11 cody chesnutt - daddys baby
12 broken social scene - frightening lives
13 why? - the vowels pt 2
14 cex - hamilton
15 six organs of admittance - strangled road
16 blur - black book
http://www.mediafire.com/?jtmjeuaabjn

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #216
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
hey man that was mine i know making a mix for you would be challenging and end up being one of those schizophrenic journey mixes. its like trying to be dark or droning vibes + songs i like so much i have to make them fit somehow + whatever i have that i think you might not have heard + trying to fit an inside joke which i gave up on. i can upload an album from some of these too.
here is the tracklist:
1 working for a nuclear free city - rocket
2 ted leo - parallel or together?
3 mother mother - love & truth
4 sam cooke - bring it on home to me
5 morphine - a good woman is hard to find
6 pink mountaintops - i fuck mountains
7 buck 65 - the floor
8 diplo - big lost
9 grinderman - electric alice (did you think this was old?)
10 beck - brother
11 cody chesnutt - daddys baby
12 broken social scene - frightening lives
13 why? - the vowels pt 2
14 cex - hamilton
15 six organs of admittance - strangled road
16 blur - black book
http://www.mediafire.com/?jtmjeuaabjn
yess! i kinda thought it was you. i loved it. on grinderman, it felt old, but i knew it was new. such a good song! definitely want to hear more of him. your mix kicked ass, it's a perfect mix for me . what inside joke were you going to try to work in! either way, it felt like someone KNEW what i feel about some things, because they definitely clicked with whats goin on in that real life of mine

Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #217
Apocalyptic Poster

mihaela gave me links to some local bands you like, we were thinking that might blow your mind or something. or perhaps a song about tacos or like the sealy roll rap.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #218
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
My review

#01 - A nice intro choice. Simple, instrumental, friendly. Sounds like someone deconstructed Johann Sebastian Bach though, and the drum loop is a bit dull. Kinda dawn-y.

#02 - Abba? C'mon now... http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon10.gif
I laughed, though I can't take this seriously.

#03 - I enjoy Joe Jackson quite a bit.

#04 - The Kinks!

#05 - Generic, but I like it; a solid rock song.

#06 - This is a very good Crash Test Dummies cover. I like it better than the original (which I only know from some live bootleg, but this doesn't sound like them at atll).

#07 - The first female voice, and I like it a lot. Who's that? I have the feeling that I should know this song...

#08 - More relaxed, but okay. I like the shakers and claps, they add a friendly touch. And again there's this feeling that I've heard this before.

#09 - Ahahaha. Perfect. At first I thought this was a girls voice, until I recognized the song.

#10 - Again, this is a track my dad would love (or maybe he already does). The fuck, why can't I remember song names?

#11 - I just burned "Dog In The Sand" for my girlfriend yesterday. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon14.gif

#12 - Hell yeah, awesome guitar intro. Definitely an Irish band. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon12.gif
What a nice instrumental, perfect interlude.

#13 - Could be from any year between 1969 and 2008. No idea, sounds like a 'classic' and, again, slightly familiar (especially the voice). Hm.
Great solo there at the end.

#14 - Zimmerman ftw.

#15 - Wow. Sounds like HIM vs John Mayer. Still, the first song I'd call "heavy".

#16 - I know that this song is on some compilation I once downloaded, but other than that... It's alright, something I'd listen to at 2 am.
I especially love the trumpets.

#17 - ABBA, again? Neat cover though, who's the lovely lady? Very chill.

#18 - Another instrumental? This could be the band from track one, with real instruments. I love how this song picks up momentum. Oh wait, there's the voice.
Wow, crunchy. What band is this?

#19 - This is called "She's Got You", right? Yeah, we sung this in our school choir once, I think. Alright version, maybe a bit too slow and reduced.

#20 - You really love the old stuff, huh? The voice sounds black (or wait, is it "urban" now?). Lovely, but not my cup of tea.

#21 - A live recording. Shit, I've heard this before. Some 80s track, I suppose? Sweet bass, annoying synthesizer melody work.

#22 - Uh, hair rock, get out your cocks. Sounds like a million albums my father listens to.

All in all this was very nice, it's playing for the third time in a row now and still not boring - and it's already our new toilet music.
You could very well be female and/or over 37. And I can't wait to check out some of the bands I didn't recognize.

Thank you very, very much.
Yeah, I made this mix.

Tracklist:
01. Air - Mike Mills
I have always liked this song and wanted to start it with something low key.

02. ABBA - Take a Chance On Me
I actually did not put this in there as a joke and really like ABBA. Not enough to go see Mama Mia, but enough. I have always liked how it starts.

03. Joe Jackson - One More Time
He is so underrated!

04. The Kinks - Skin and Bone
I am just starting to get into them but have grown attached to this album quite quickly.

05. Pearl Jam - Smile
This is on No Code (the first Pearl Jam album I bought) and while it's not my favorite, I really like this song.

06. The Replacements - Anadrogynous
Crash Test Dummies? Huh.

07. Mary Gauthier - Before You Leave
I have never met anybody else who likes her. Most of her songs she is sort of doing that talking-singing thing but this one really shows how nice her voice is. I pimped this a bit in the YSI thread a while ago but never heard anybody mention liking it.

08. French Kicks - Said So What
Good song from a good album.

09. Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
I put this song in a lot of mixes because I think it is impossible to dislike. Also, it seemed to fit alright so I thought what the hell.

10. The Black Angels - Bloodhounds on My Trail
They do sound older than they are, don't they? I didn't know if you would like it so I didn't put one of their longer ones on there.

11. Frank Black - The Swimmer

12. Shugo Takumaru - The Mop
Somebody stuck this on a mix for me a while back and I ended up listening to it three or four times in a row before continuing. Just a nice, sweet sounding little song.

13. The Pretty Things - Summer Time
This is from 1970, I think. Great album by a band that way more people should know about.

14. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova - You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
I knew you liked The Frames a lot and hoped you would not have heard this yet.

15. Ours - Sometimes
I can't speak for their other albums, but the one this song is from is pretty good.

16. The Zombies - This Will Be Our Year
I have a soft spot for this band. Another band I think got shorted when it comes to being recognized.

17. Camera Obscura - Super Trouper
Yeah, it is an ABBA cover but I like how it is much different from the original and does not sound that far off from this band's usual stuff. Blends right in. I think this is a b-side.

18. Do Make Say Think - In Mind
I like how the tension grows, too. It came up on shuffle and I needed something else to put on here that wasn't my usual.

19. Cat Power - She's Got You
I do not care much for this album but I like this version of the song and I needed another sad-ish sounding song.

20. Sam Cooke - That's Where It's At
The lyrics in this song kill me. "Just stay one minute more..."

21. Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
I stick this on a lot of mixes also because it's fucking awesome.

22. Spinal Tap - Sex Farm
Every line in this song is a sexual euphemism and I love how corny it is. I was going to leave it off but I always seem to end mixes with sad songs so I thought this would be a nice change.

The last song I put in as a joke. I was trying to think of a funny way to end it. Like most of their songs, I think the lyrics are hilarious. Glad that worked out so well. I'm only 27! I do love a lot of older music though, obviously. I'm happy you seemed to like most of it.

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/p5dwwo

Last edited by pale blue eyes : 09-21-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #219
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
mihaela gave me links to some local bands you like, we were thinking that might blow your mind or something. or perhaps a song about tacos or like the sealy roll rap.
hahaha! sneaky. that would've blown my mind to see some tolchock trio or something on there. a taco mixtape is in order, just in general. it could be epic. i know of one song about beans and rice, but not any about tacos.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #220
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja5qOR-eyFo
this actually made me cry laughing a little while ago.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #221
D.
Consume my pants.

whoever has me, hurry up. i'm eager.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #222
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

yeah where's my goddamn mix

Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #223
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

If memory serves me, you should definitely get one by the end of the day.

To those people who still owe me mixes: If you send today or after, please include in the PM who the mix is for so I can get it to them ASAP and do not have to wait until after I go home to check who your recipient is.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #224
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster

re: deadbeats
laaame

Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #225
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Well, they're not deadbeats yet. I said ON or before September 15th and the day isn't over yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #226
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Rest assured though, tomorrow I will commence sending of bitchy PMs.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #227
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
this is how i felt the first time i heard this song too

Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #228
The New
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
i have the albums for all the tracks i put on your mix (except for The Kingston Trio song), and sometimes more, so if you want anything, i'd be more than happy to upload them.
thanks for the offer, but i have an insane amount of buffer on what.cd and i just looked and all the stuff i liked is on there

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #229
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Review:

1. Playful piano piece, something quite sinister about it. I could imagine this being off a soundtrack to a film or something. Works as an intro. Infact Im sure I have seen whatever this is off but can't place it.

2. Bluesy Jazz, not really my kind of thing at all. I can appreciate the relaxed mood, but its more background music for some dark smoky hall than something I would sit and concentrate on listening to.

3. Another instrumental. Nice bluesy/jazzy jam, got some good variety in this from all instruments. I like this though again not what I would generally listen to.

4. Back to a more laid back jazz song. Saxophone is quite poignant on this for most of it, nice and smooth with that piano and whispering snare\symbol. Quite a long one this, 14 minutes infact, without the infusion of something more dramatic or experimental it does begin to try my patience.

5. Interesting song, vocals are pretty crazy. Like some folk/punk song or something. Yeah this is cool, quite diverse.

6. Pretty simple folk/rock song. Alright, the vocalist reminds me of someone but I can't seem to remember who.

7. Lou Reed. This is ok, I got one of this guys albums and its pretty good, should listen to more of his stuff really.

8. Ah Love, I got this album. I've only listened to it a few times but I really like it. Nice song, quite pleasant hippie rock with a darker edge. I really gotta get into these guys more.

9. Quite odd this. Story over swingy instrumental. Not bad, quite eccentric, I like stream of conciousness lyrics, interesting.

10. Mercury Rev. You know, I haven't listened to this album in a while and this song is really quite good. The strange fairytale start that bursts into that grandiose rock with strange background sounds, then melts down again to slowly burn out, love that little piano part and wailing at the end. Great atmosphere track.

11. So on the tag it still had Jarvis Cocker as part of the ensemble of artists and I was pretty much dreading it. But hmm, this was immediately quite dark, maybe it's just the music but the lyrics seemed kind of sinister. Not bad, Cockers voice is pretty good here to.

12. This is nice and dark. The vocals sound straight out of the 60s, but I couldn't really say when this came out, sounds more 70-80s. This is good, would be interested to hear more of this guy.

All in all, a good listen. Most of it wasn't really my thing but that doesn't really matter, I like getting a slice of someone elses taste, different perspectives and all that. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #230
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
also can the deuce upload your mix? almost every track on that id like to hear. i didnt know liam lynch had an album besides fake songs.
he actually has quite a few.

Eel, We're All-Nighters, and How To Be A Satellite are his three completely serious albums (except for the last one, which has a couple borderline songs). I highly recommend all 3. they're hard to find though.

History Of America? and Camp Sunny Side Up are two comedy/music albums he did with Matt Crocco, who Liam also worked on the Sifl And Olly Show. i didn't really care for these two.

i haven't heard his latest three (Songs From Lynchland, More Songs From Lynchland, and Get Up On The Raft). i think that at least the first two are half serious, half funny (more or less) and are culled from songs he's played on his Lynchland podcast (liamlynch.net). i assume the third one would be the same, but i'd be much happier to hear that it's actually the real follow-up to How To Be A Satellite.

sorry if i rambled a bit, but i feel that Liam Lynch is one of the most under-rated, over-looked artists making music these days. i couldn't even get a bite in the upload thread for Eel or any of his newer albums and all kind of "underground"/"hard to find" shit pops up in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New View Post
thanks for the offer, but i have an insane amount of buffer on what.cd and i just looked and all the stuff i liked is on there
which ones did you get?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #231
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I have PMed deadbeats and recipients of people who have already send a PM to let me know their mix will be late.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #232
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

i got my mix last night, i will finish listening to it today.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #233
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I'll review my mix Wednesday night, probably.

Wish the person who got mine would post.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #234
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I was sent two more links today and one other member contacted me about intending to finish soon. There are still four people who have no sent me either but I am holding out hope that they will soon. I'll give it until the end of the month and then will post who the assfaces are.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #235
D.
Consume my pants.

del

Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #236
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Should have my review up tonight.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #237
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

waiting patiently

Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #238
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

my review. well first off, a bit a the tracks weren't untagged, just as a side note.

track - guitar seemed kinda sloppy. a bit droning. the vocals were good.

track 1 - catchy guitar, reserved vocals, kinda reminds me of puddle of mudd for some reason. i like this one.

track 2 - fast song with a crunchy riff. vocals were decent enough. the drumming was a bit bland. another good one.

track 3 - an early favorite in the mix. a tight little song, reminds me a bit of tegan and sara (which is a good thing ) i'd like to hear more from this band.

track 4 - painfully obvious a jack white song. its a pretty little song, nice layering with some faint piano in the background. acoustic guitars are like my kryptonite.

track 5 - another fast paced song, the beeping or what not was bit distracting but it seemed to work. felt like the song could have been a bit more dynamic. not a bad one overall.

track 6 - ah, eagles of death metal. nice gritty guitar, silly lyrics, josh homme on the drums. you just can't go wrong.

track 7 - mmm acoustic guitar + plus eccentric vocals = sex. another fav from the mix. id def look more into this artist.

track 8 - some stoner rock. the kind of song you can put on in the dark and just drift away. nice guitar work, vocals are a good fit. another winner.

track 9 - vocals remind me frank black. goofy little song, not much to it though once the novelty wears off. interested to hear what their other stuff sounds like.

track 10 - quick song about hating someones guts. just long enough to get your attention and just as you get tired of it it is over. pretty generic feel to the song, i feel like i heard it before (even though i haven't).

track 11 - a nice live version of an irish oldie. i have a bit of a bias since i am irish, but i like this song a lot. there's a brief moment at the end where the banjo kinda rocks out which was cool

track 12 - probably my fav on the entire mix. reminds me of mellowgold beck with a little eels mixed in. droning beats, weird stuff going on in the background, vocals going on about god knows what. everything is there

track 13 - got an actual oldie. sounds like maybe dylan? im not sure. interesting twist after the song before it. i like the harmonies in the vocals.

track 14 - reminds me of zwan's cover of number of the beast. could have used a little variation. after about a minute or so i got kinda bored. the trumpet seemed kind of unnecessary.

track 16 - seems like we skipped 15 somehow. i like this one. fast paced vocals (almost scatting), the guitar is all over the place - just when you think he's gunna make a mistake he just bends it and makes it sound awesome.

track 17 - very 80's. i can almost imagine it in a john hughes movie. when it got the chorus i recognized it from a live version XYU by SP. nice to hear what he was talking. a bit on the long side. i agree with the chorus.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #239
rottenbroccoli
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp View Post
my review. well first off, a bit a the tracks weren't untagged, just as a side note.

track - guitar seemed kinda sloppy. a bit droning. the vocals were good.

track 1 - catchy guitar, reserved vocals, kinda reminds me of puddle of mudd for some reason. i like this one.

track 2 - fast song with a crunchy riff. vocals were decent enough. the drumming was a bit bland. another good one.

track 3 - an early favorite in the mix. a tight little song, reminds me a bit of tegan and sara (which is a good thing ) i'd like to hear more from this band.

track 4 - painfully obvious a jack white song. its a pretty little song, nice layering with some faint piano in the background. acoustic guitars are like my kryptonite.

track 5 - another fast paced song, the beeping or what not was bit distracting but it seemed to work. felt like the song could have been a bit more dynamic. not a bad one overall.

track 6 - ah, eagles of death metal. nice gritty guitar, silly lyrics, josh homme on the drums. you just can't go wrong.

track 7 - mmm acoustic guitar + plus eccentric vocals = sex. another fav from the mix. id def look more into this artist.

track 8 - some stoner rock. the kind of song you can put on in the dark and just drift away. nice guitar work, vocals are a good fit. another winner.

track 9 - vocals remind me frank black. goofy little song, not much to it though once the novelty wears off. interested to hear what their other stuff sounds like.

track 10 - quick song about hating someones guts. just long enough to get your attention and just as you get tired of it it is over. pretty generic feel to the song, i feel like i heard it before (even though i haven't).

track 11 - a nice live version of an irish oldie. i have a bit of a bias since i am irish, but i like this song a lot. there's a brief moment at the end where the banjo kinda rocks out which was cool

track 12 - probably my fav on the entire mix. reminds me of mellowgold beck with a little eels mixed in. droning beats, weird stuff going on in the background, vocals going on about god knows what. everything is there

track 13 - got an actual oldie. sounds like maybe dylan? im not sure. interesting twist after the song before it. i like the harmonies in the vocals.

track 14 - reminds me of zwan's cover of number of the beast. could have used a little variation. after about a minute or so i got kinda bored. the trumpet seemed kind of unnecessary.

track 16 - seems like we skipped 15 somehow. i like this one. fast paced vocals (almost scatting), the guitar is all over the place - just when you think he's gunna make a mistake he just bends it and makes it sound awesome.

track 17 - very 80's. i can almost imagine it in a john hughes movie. when it got the chorus i recognized it from a live version XYU by SP. nice to hear what he was talking. a bit on the long side. i agree with the chorus.
I'm so sorry the tracks weren't all untagged. I uploaded my mix, sent the link, and then realized that I had messed up. I hope it didn't ruin much for you. Even if it did, thanks for giving it all a listen.

SO:
00: The Husbands, feat. Dan Sartain, "Much Too Late"
I LOVE DAN SARTAIN. I think he's a total badass.
01: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, "666 Conducer"
02: Death From Above 1979, "Romantic Rights"
03: The Comas, "Come My Sunshine"
04: The Raconteurs, "Carolina Drama"
I like the new Raconteurs album, and I included this one because I lived in South Carolina at one point. Total bias.
05: Bang! Bang!, "Prefab Nation"
06: Eagles of Death Metal, "Keep Your Head Up"
This band is such a guilty pleasure of mine. Love 'em.
07: Oh No! Oh My!, "Farewell to All My Friends"
One of my new favorite bands, along with Illinois.
08: The Greenhornes, "Stay Away Girl"
09: Murder City Devils, "Boom Swagger Boom"
It's catchy.
10: The Queers, "I Hate Your Fucking Guts"
11: The Dubliners, "Whiskey In The Jar [live]"
Same as #9, it's catchy.
12: Illinois, "Nosebleed"
I've only heard six or seven songs by them, but I love what I've heard.
13: The Velvet Underground, "Beginning to See The Light"
14: Dan Sartain, "Got That Feeling"
Again, I love Dan Sartain.
15: Blind Willie McTell, "Your Southern Can Is Mine"
(there was no skipping of 15, just a mess up with the numbering)
Great song.
16: Romeo Void, "Never Say Never"

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #240
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeyes View Post
Review:

1. Playful piano piece, something quite sinister about it. I could imagine this being off a soundtrack to a film or something. Works as an intro. Infact Im sure I have seen whatever this is off but can't place it.

2. Bluesy Jazz, not really my kind of thing at all. I can appreciate the relaxed mood, but its more background music for some dark smoky hall than something I would sit and concentrate on listening to.

3. Another instrumental. Nice bluesy/jazzy jam, got some good variety in this from all instruments. I like this though again not what I would generally listen to.

4. Back to a more laid back jazz song. Saxophone is quite poignant on this for most of it, nice and smooth with that piano and whispering snare\symbol. Quite a long one this, 14 minutes infact, without the infusion of something more dramatic or experimental it does begin to try my patience.

5. Interesting song, vocals are pretty crazy. Like some folk/punk song or something. Yeah this is cool, quite diverse.

6. Pretty simple folk/rock song. Alright, the vocalist reminds me of someone but I can't seem to remember who.

7. Lou Reed. This is ok, I got one of this guys albums and its pretty good, should listen to more of his stuff really.

8. Ah Love, I got this album. I've only listened to it a few times but I really like it. Nice song, quite pleasant hippie rock with a darker edge. I really gotta get into these guys more.

9. Quite odd this. Story over swingy instrumental. Not bad, quite eccentric, I like stream of conciousness lyrics, interesting.

10. Mercury Rev. You know, I haven't listened to this album in a while and this song is really quite good. The strange fairytale start that bursts into that grandiose rock with strange background sounds, then melts down again to slowly burn out, love that little piano part and wailing at the end. Great atmosphere track.

11. So on the tag it still had Jarvis Cocker as part of the ensemble of artists and I was pretty much dreading it. But hmm, this was immediately quite dark, maybe it's just the music but the lyrics seemed kind of sinister. Not bad, Cockers voice is pretty good here to.

12. This is nice and dark. The vocals sound straight out of the 60s, but I couldn't really say when this came out, sounds more 70-80s. This is good, would be interested to hear more of this guy.

All in all, a good listen. Most of it wasn't really my thing but that doesn't really matter, I like getting a slice of someone elses taste, different perspectives and all that. Thanks a lot.
Oestrogen Shaped Audio

1. David Shire – Theme from the conversation
2. Charles Mingus – Goodbye Porkpie Hat
3. Bill Frissell Trio – Masters of War
4. John Coltrane – Lush Life
5. Dirty Projectors – Police Story
6. The Felice Brothers – Ballad of Lou the welterweight
7. Lou Reed – Men of good fortune
8. Love – And more again
9. Steven Jesse Bernstein – Nono man
10. Mercury Rev – Lincoln’s eyes
11. Pulp – This is hardcore
12. Scott Walker – Cossacks Are

Thanks for taking the time to review. Glad you enjoyed some of 'em, Here's a tagged upload if anyone's interested. http://www.mediafire.com/?2ueebeyftcu

If you liked the Steven Jesse Bernstein track you should really get his album prison. Let me know if you want an upload. Same with the Scott Walker album the drift.