Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #31
sweet17
Ownz

I might be the only pre-2000 person here so far? This username is dated 2000, but I was here on another username before that. Perhaps 97-98? I seem to remember when Netphoria changed it's theme to the Adore one pictured at the top of this page, and it being a big deal. It was a Tonight, Tonight theme before that, IIRC.

No, it wasn't always this negative. I mean, people had different opinions, and disagreements all the time, but generally, it was good natured ribbing, goatse'ing (which was a much more NSFW version of Rick-Rolling, but was generally a game that no one was offended by), discussions and sharing.

Does anyone remember the Smashing Pumpkins webserver... It was run by a dude with a name spelled something like Jeoron? It literally had SHN / WAV downloads of all KINDS of bootlegs, demos, and l33t recordings. This was well before the Hub -- and most of what ended up on the hub was sourced here. A couple of times a year, something would leak and he'd post it online, but you'd have to solve a series of riddles and/or fiddle with the URL given to find the actual link... and it was amazing when you actually got there. Reel Time Sessions, Mashed Potatoes single-disc comp, Adore and MCIS demos, and a bunch of other really great, interesting recordings came through this server.

I also remember trading bootlegs on here before online trading was generally feasible. People were great with b+p (blanks and postage) to help newbies get into the scene...and when great new recordings came out, they were shared via tape trees. It was tons of fun.

I remember some of the weirder sides of Netphoria creeping in a bit later. There was a prominent poster who posted a nude of herself, but blanked out the private parts...however, took it in the kitchen and neglected to blank out the reflection in the oven window. She deleted it after it was brought to her attention, but it was shared and re-shared continuously after that. I don't think she hung around here too much after that. It would have went viral for all the wrong reasons in this day and age.

I remember everyone being PUMPED about the Arising! tour. Those recordings were shared and talked about for months. When Machina hit, people were confused why so many songs were changed so dramatically (for the worse) or altogether left off the disc (ie. Speed Kills), while inferior songs like HMM and TCTOM were left on. This is also when the clipping and massive compression business started to get the audiophiles riled up...and it seemed there were a lot of audiophiles on the board back then. They're show screenshot after screen shot of how audio spectographs should be, versus how they were on Machina. This worsened dramatically for MSOTS. There would be pages of people complaining about how the loudness war was ruining recorded music. I found it very compelling.

I remember the solo album being really divisive, and the poetry book most people rolling their eyes at. I remember the optimism would rise and fall again, for things like Chicago Kid. I remember when a couple of fans broke into the band's practice space and leaked photos of ZG's artwork a week or two before the record dropped, and Billy losing his shit and hunting them down and prosecuting them to "the full extent of the law."

I sort of attribute that as the point where things took a huge southern turn.

Before then, Billy was always working with the fans. He leaked out hundreds of hours of demos, live recordings, etc. himself -- not to mention Machina II, which was unheard of at the time. While not condoning the thieves actions, I feel like a lot of people felt like Billy turned on the fans when he witch-hunted those (admitted) thieves. Zeitgeist being a generally disliked album when it was released weeks later didn't help.

But yeah, there were great times here. We'd meet up at concerts -- and even hang out outside of Smashing Pumpkins events on occasion. I remember seeing Dead in line at a local Zwan show and being happy that I got to briefly meet one of the board's original trolls (who was more often than not, hilarious).

I remember pale_princess and xtina (who was Imploding Poptart, and something else before that, IIRC) and Smiley33 and Monte and Dead, and...well, the list went on. But they were good people. We had good conversations. We shared great music. And yes, we weren't always positive about everything, but the majority of the negativity that we see today definitely ramped up between Zwan and Zeitgeist, and never really settled back down.

Fuck, I've been here long enough that I even remember why the board had to ban the world 1nc1ude. This thread makes me feel old.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet17 View Post

Fuck, I've been here long enough that I even remember why the board had to ban the world 1nc1ude. This thread makes me feel old.
you may be the last person living who remembers this ancient tale. want to share?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #33
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I think that, secretly, everybody who claims to hate modern SP output actually really like it. If you're here, you love MtaE as much as I do, you're just afraid to admit it. If you really don't like a band, you leave them behind. I don't follow Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, AIC, I didn't care what Soundgarden was doing before Chris Cornell's misadventure, Weezer, Radiohead, NIN, Green Day and so many other 90's bands out there that are still chugging out product to pay the rent, we can't possible follow all of them, yet here I am and here you are, because what SP does to this day is still holding you attention, despite claims to the contrary. IMO, Billy is the only artists of those I mentioned who still possesses genuine artistic purpose.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #34
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i was obsessed with billy since i was 11 years old, like only a child can be, especially a lonely one from an abusive background. now SP and he are just part of my psyche that i remember as being comforting and it's hard to let that go.

MTAE really does suck btw

Old 10-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #35
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I think that, secretly, everybody who claims to hate modern SP output actually really like it. If you're here, you love MtaE as much as I do, you're just afraid to admit it. If you really don't like a band, you leave them behind. I don't follow Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, AIC, I didn't care what Soundgarden was doing before Chris Cornell's misadventure, Weezer, Radiohead, NIN, Green Day and so many other 90's bands out there that are still chugging out product to pay the rent, we can't possible follow all of them, yet here I am and here you are, because what SP does to this day is still holding you attention, despite claims to the contrary. IMO, Billy is the only artists of those I mentioned who still possesses genuine artistic purpose.
this is incredibly wrong in so many ways.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #36
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post

haven't listened to it and i'll take your word for it

Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #37
redbreegull

monuments fucking sucks and that is why I could never even listen to the whole thing in one sitting and have clocked in about 2 total listens ever. Since 2015 I bet I have listened to Adore a few dozen times all the way through.

It's my love of the old music and the legacy that keeps me interested and engaged enough to come back. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I am still slightly hopeful that Bruce might put out another good LP one day, but I think mostly it's just an interminable curiosity. SP was a big part of my earlier life and I find the classic songs still stick with me in a way few other artists ever have.

But it's not because I secretly love their awful music. BC had one of the most precipitous drops in output quality of any artist I can think of.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #38
redbreegull

Netphoria as a community is also kind of an independent thing now which recharges interest in the band from time to time. Most people here have the shared identity of being alienated from their favorite band which is kind of a weird thing.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #39
FoolofaTook

yeah i wonder if there is any other artist out there as hated by his fans as b0llzeboob

Old 10-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #40
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
monuments fucking sucks and that is why I could never even listen to the whole thing in one sitting and have clocked in about 2 total listens ever. Since 2015 I bet I have listened to Adore a few dozen times all the way through.

It's my love of the old music and the legacy that keeps me interested and engaged enough to come back. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I am still slightly hopeful that Bruce might put out another good LP one day, but I think mostly it's just an interminable curiosity. SP was a big part of my earlier life and I find the classic songs still stick with me in a way few other artists ever have.

But it's not because I secretly love their awful music. BC had one of the most precipitous drops in output quality of any artist I can think of.
The way you really go out of your way to say it "fucking sucks" and is "awful music" it reminds me of Billy talking about how much he definitely doesn't care about what D'arcy's doing. He cares.

I don't see a reason to discuss music that happened twenty years ago. If there is a thread about a deluxe remaster re-release, sure, but otherwise I'd think it would make more sense to join the forum of a band that is actively making music you enjoy.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #41
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i was obsessed with billy since i was 11 years old, like only a child can be, especially a lonely one from an abusive background. now SP and he are just part of my psyche that i remember as being comforting and it's hard to let that go.

See I think that's completely backwards, Billy is such a routinely negative person that I would not want to actually be invested in him the person. If not for the music he makes, he couldn't fuck off fast enough. Which is why it's so surprising that Billy is making so many uplifting tunes lately, including the balance of MtaE. I lots a family member a month after MtaE came out, Drum + Fife was a great song to have on my play list at that time.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #42
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I don't know about the attitude toward the band's output, but in terms of being a positive space, I'm a new member, but when I look at the archives, the place seemed like it was a lot more hostile and toxic back in the day. More trolling, misogyny, racism, and homophobia than the board would accept today.
You say misogyny like that’s not just a normal every day part of modern life. Like it’s something that is generally frowned upon like racism.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #43
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Misogyny is normal and accepted behavior on some levels. It is very ingrained into society. Can’t say the same about racism at all. Don’t put the two on the same level.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #44
FoolofaTook

https://img-aws.ehowcdn.com/877x500p...32616b0bec2306

Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #45
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I remember seeing the home page when I looked for news, in 1999. But I never joined the community. Even in 99 I would have been coming here to complain about Adore.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #46
slayed23
Ownz

What is this, the first website on the history of the internet? Damn.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #47
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Misogyny is normal and accepted behavior on some levels. It is very ingrained into society. Can’t say the same about racism at all. Don’t put the two on the same level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS78MX8Zmdk

Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #48
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
See I think that's completely backwards, Billy is such a routinely negative person that I would not want to actually be invested in him the person. If not for the music he makes, he couldn't fuck off fast enough. Which is why it's so surprising that Billy is making so many uplifting tunes lately, including the balance of MtaE. I lots a family member a month after MtaE came out, Drum + Fife was a great song to have on my play list at that time.
Yes but when I first got into SP and for many years after I was a very depressed and angsty preteen/teen and none of us knew how abrasive of a person billy really is/was back then. I think if you didn't get into SP at the height of your own malleability/influence-ability it's hard to really understand just how deep the seeds of such an experience can be buried. I had no one except - I thought - SP. It also helped that SP was at the height of their popularity at the time, but I don't think that is as necessary as the first one. Would a "normal" person have reacted the way I did and the way I have by continuing to care long after disliking most of an artists' output? Probably not, but there are factors at play that influence some people to go this way. I also think if netphoria didn't exist I probably wouldn't keep up with him anymore, but I'm not sure. I don't go to netphoria for BC (much more for the general chat peoples), but it's an entertaining part of it sometimes.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #49
fuzzyroes
Banned

MonumentsRocks has a good point.

Green Day were my idols growing up and I couldn't get enough them of them for like 10 years... But after awhile my tastes changed and I can't really care less for their new music. I'll still see a show if they come to town or whatever, but I'm certainly not sitting around on their message boards every day.

As for SP, I actually quite liked Monuments and Zeitgeist and some of the other newer stuff sprinkled along.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #50
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i didnt even go to the show

i have tried to like monuments but it's terrible

i've been on SP forums/mailing lists/listservs for more than 20 years except for when i was imprisoned for lack of a better word. it's just ingrained in me at this point.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #51
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Does anyone remember the Smashing Pumpkins webserver... It was run by a dude with a name spelled something like Jeoron? It literally had SHN / WAV downloads of all KINDS of bootlegs, demos, and l33t recordings. This was well before the Hub -- and most of what ended up on the hub was sourced here. A couple of times a year, something would leak and he'd post it online, but you'd have to solve a series of riddles and/or fiddle with the URL given to find the actual link... and it was amazing when you actually got there. Reel Time Sessions, Mashed Potatoes single-disc comp, Adore and MCIS demos, and a bunch of other really great, interesting recordings came through this server.
It was Jeroen.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #52
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember coming here when the Arising! boots were posted, and then everyone freaking out at Machina being so different.

Then I remember coming here when Zwan boots were posted, and then everyone freaking out when MSOTS sounded so different.

I THINK THERE'S A PATTERN.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #53
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

hey sonic

where's your stages of grief copypasta?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #54
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I remember downloading the radio leak of Ava Adore here back in 1998. RealAudio rip lol.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #55
ilikeplanets
Braindead

really want to hear the story of why i n c l u d e is banned. it has always seemed so random

Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #56
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I remember downloading the radio leak of Ava Adore here back in 1998. RealAudio rip lol.
not sure where it was from but i remember the TEITBITE leak on RA. it was so different

Old 10-17-2018, 12:40 AM   #57
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Talking

Quote:
A whole lotta yikes here!
First of all, I have never listened to anything post-2007 SP, save for a few songs. To me, it's not SP without key members, and it was a branding decision that tarnished the band/Billy's legacy. IDK a single song from MTaE.

Next, downplaying Chris Cornell's death by suicide as a "misadventure" is gross.

What have SP/BC done to hold my attention in the past few years? Well, Bill doing funny things like the wholesome cat mag cover and his wrestling stuff. Also, Bill being a terrible person, whether he's threatening and misgendering a transwoman or comparing BLM to the KKK. Just when you think he's said the worst thing ever, he'll top it. I can't help but not look away because he makes it hard to. The whole D'arcy debacle showed that a lot of his colors were true.

I only went to the most recent tour because 1. James was back in the band 2. They were only playing pre-2000 songs 3. I got tickets for less than face.

Plenty of artists have genuine artistic purpose. There's something you ought to know - there are bands beyond the ones who were big in the 90s. I suggest you look into some newer generation bands because you sound like a dinosaur clinging onto relics like Green Day and Foo Fighters.

You know why we come here? And by "we" I mean the "negative" (read: critical and have non-sycophantic opinions) fans... Netphoria is basically like a support group for recovering SP addicts. This band was everything to me at a certain point in my life, a very influential point. And 20-some years later, I have all these people I've formed friendships with, have fucked or would still love to meet because of this damn band. And with any support group, it's more about the community you've formed than the substance that sent you there.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #58
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I might be the only pre-2000 person here so far? This username is dated 2000, but I was here on another username before that. Perhaps 97-98?
I'm right there with ya - this was my second username, and it's dated early 2000 too. But there was one before this one.

I really think the site just followed the arc of WPC's output level. When I found it around Adore/Arising era, the dude could do no wrong, so it was natural that we'd all be right there tripping over him.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:56 AM   #59
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
this is called projection. other people can have reasons to come here that are different from yours

Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #60
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
First of all, I have never listened to anything post-2007 SP, save for a few songs. To me, it's not SP without key members, and it was a branding decision that tarnished the band/Billy's legacy. IDK a single song from MTaE.

You know why we come here? And by "we" I mean the "negative" (read: critical and have non-sycophantic opinions) fans... Netphoria is basically like a support group for recovering SP addicts. This band was everything to me at a certain point in my life, a very influential point. And 20-some years later, I have all these people I've formed friendships with, have fucked or would still love to meet because of this damn band. And with any support group, it's more about the community you've formed than the substance that sent you there.
Very well said... from another old schooler. When did you first stumble into this place?

I'm impressed that you have held that firm a line from 2007 to now. That takes some major resolve. For me, it just runs deep to the point where I'll buy anything (well, except for Siddartha - didn't cave on that one) the dude puts out until he dies. Somehow by buying it, I get that rush of the good ol' days.