Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #31
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
But suggesting that the airing of a mini-series is a Machiavellian political plot?
Have you seen the show in question? Or maybe even some clips from it?

The entire show is absurd.... it has incredible conservative leanings, and as loosely based on the truth as possible. I've only seen a few clips from it, but if the rest of it is like that, I would say that, while he was probably over-exaggerating his point, he's not far off.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #32
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
So according to Olbermann, it's Bush's responsibility to create something at ground zero, but he wants private industry to create something at ground zero

It's not the President's direct responsibility, but he should have been asking long ago "What's going on here?"

Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #33
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki
The entire show is absurd......... I've only seen a few clips from it
uh huh

Old 09-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #34
wally
cibohplaicos

The President is not responsible for building anything there. But, the president who claims to own 9/11 and all it's emotion and has used it as the justification for every policy in the last 5 years has some sort of responsibility to help the country heal that open would in the ground and use his bully pulpit to get something built.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #35
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpFission
uh huh
CLIN-TON

Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #36
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki
Have you seen the show in question? Or maybe even some clips from it?

The entire show is absurd.... it has incredible conservative leanings, and as loosely based on the truth as possible. I've only seen a few clips from it, but if the rest of it is like that, I would say that, while he was probably over-exaggerating his point, he's not far off.
I've only seen a minute or so of it while I was flipping channels the other night, so I can't really comment on the accuracy of the show or anything like that. Maybe its completely dramatized, and maybe its not. I don't know. But even if it is completely dramatized, I still think its a bit of a stretch to say that its a result of Machiavellian political machinations done to rewrite history. If the Republicans really have evil geniuses cooking up Machiavellian plots to smear the Clinton administration and make themselves look good, I'd hope they'd come up with something a little better than a network miniseries.

I think its much more likely to think that if liberties were taken, they were taken for the purpose of making "exciting" television. I still think Olbermann was barking up the crazy tree on that one.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #37
Orenthal James
Minion of Satan

ok, one question, if everyone in this thread pretty much agrees that building a memorial at ground zero should be a private endeavour, why is everyone else getting their panties in a bunch about it. i don't think i could possibly give any less of a shit about a memorial.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #38
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenthal James
ok, one question, if everyone in this thread pretty much agrees that building a memorial at ground zero should be a private endeavour, why is everyone else getting their panties in a bunch about it. i don't think i could possibly give any less of a shit about a memorial.
Nobody in this thread has really been vehement about the creation of a memorial... I don't personally care, but I'm sure to the people whose family members or friends were killed, it means a lot to them.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #39
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenthal James
I think the problem most people have is not that they haven't built a memorial, but rather that they haven't done anything at all with the site and apparently still don't even have much of a plan to do anything with it either. There's all sorts of different people with a stake in what happens, and so far they've been more concerned about making everyone happy than getting anything done. All the while there's still a big hole in the ground in lower Manhattan. I don't really care about a memorial all that much either, but I do think its bad that it's been five years and the evidence of 9/11's impact is still almost as apparent now as it was the day it happened.

Here's a link to the Penn and Teller: Bullshit! episode on the whole situation for those interested. I think it gives a pretty decent overview of a lot of the ins and outs of it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...40479797790215

Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #40
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
Here's a link to the Penn and Teller: Bullshit! episode on the whole situation for those interested. I think it gives a pretty decent overview of a lot of the ins and outs of it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...40479797790215
I just finished watching this; it's good.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #41
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i enjoyed that too.

a point no one's addressed that i'm curious about is the demand for office space. so there were so many offices there that don't exist anymore. the vast majority of those companies have obviously made other arrangements since then. let's say they build some enormous office buildings again. n the near term, is there even going to be any demand for them? will the space get used? where's the financial incentive for coroprations to relocate existing operations?

i understand in the long term there likely will be demand, you know, should the american empire not collapse, and all that. but it just seems entirely possible they build osme shitty huge buildings, that takes many years, and once they're built, it's another 5 years before they're any significant amount of use

Old 09-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #42
The Omega Concern
Banned

i give Olberman a break most times...he's on MSNBC.

Quote:
originally posted by homechicago:

on cnn they went up to new yorkers and asked them about that "docu drama" and they said it was shameful to ignore factual information and fictionalize this tragedy.
CNN are the kings of Docu-drama "news" as they routinely ignore facts and fictionalize tragedy.

when is a prominent T.V. reporter gonna dig about Bin-Laden being hired out by the insurance company of the Twin Towers?

answer: not gonna happen on T.V. ergo: The revolution will not be Televised.

I barely watch any of the t.v. news anymore, the reporting has been corrupted for so long by their big business tycoons it's laughable.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #43
Stinky Pinky
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
i enjoyed that too.

a point no one's addressed that i'm curious about is the demand for office space. so there were so many offices there that don't exist anymore. the vast majority of those companies have obviously made other arrangements since then. let's say they build some enormous office buildings again. n the near term, is there even going to be any demand for them? will the space get used? where's the financial incentive for coroprations to relocate existing operations?

i understand in the long term there likely will be demand, you know, should the american empire not collapse, and all that. but it just seems entirely possible they build osme shitty huge buildings, that takes many years, and once they're built, it's another 5 years before they're any significant amount of use

Dude, this is new york where property goes for ridiculous amounts of money. They would be filled instantly.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #44
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally
The President is not responsible for building anything there. But, the president who claims to own 9/11 and all it's emotion and has used it as the justification for every policy in the last 5 years has some sort of responsibility to help the country heal that open would in the ground and use his bully pulpit to get something built.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Wasn't Olbermann on Sportscenter? Quick, someone ask Scott Van Pelt what he thinks about 9/11 five years later.