Old 02-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #91
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #92
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
How did I forget about Bill Steer?! Seeing Carcass live I was absolutely floored by his playing. What a rad cunt.

oh shit, I just started listening to this band again

Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #93
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Embedding disabled by request

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjUYmUYcb8s

Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 AM   #94
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjYAVk-DCs

Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #95
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Can't believe that I didn't mention Bert Jansch, my absolute favourite.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #96
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

http://i.imgur.com/6M7fcKA.jpg

Steve Howe.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #97
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

I've just taken a look at my last.fm profile, and the only remarkable guitar players I found were B0lly, Johnny Greenwood and St. Vincent.

I actually really like Sweeney's work with Zwan and Superwolf. Tasteful, emotional stuff. But I wouldn't necessarily include him in a Best Guitar Players list.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #98
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
hahaha best scene of the movie

"what the fuck are those things?"

Old 03-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #99
Elphenor
Braindead

BTW motherfucking ANDY GILLS

He has the best approach to the instrument as well as being a creative genius. He doesn't play into that "guitar hero" thing that makes Rock boring.

"What I always find uninspiring is when guitarists treat the rest of the band as a background over which they show off, so the guitar playing isn’t part of the intrinsic sound that the bass and drums and other instruments are making. The sort of image I had in mind was that everything was side by side – the drums had to work around the guitar riff, which had to work around the bass riff, which had to work around this semi-chanted lyrical thing, which worked around the drums – each element had to work with the other parts of the band.”

Old 03-07-2015, 03:54 AM   #100
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
"What I always find uninspiring is when guitarists treat the rest of the band as a background over which they show off,”
all those athletes guitar players work this way. The music is inconsequential, it's just about how many "cool" solos they can put on the background music

Old 03-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #101
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
hahaha best scene of the movie

"what the fuck are those things?"
a bit of a non sequitur I guess

that clip is kind of like Netphoria: The Movie

Last edited by dreams of glass : 03-07-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:56 AM   #102
Elphenor
Braindead

I'm confused on what's supposed to be symbolized there

Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #103
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

this solo is the shit

Old 03-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #104
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
ah yes, mood for a day

Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #105
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
all those athletes guitar players work this way. The music is inconsequential, it's just about how many "cool" solos they can put on the background music
not necessarily, especially if it's a band created around a lead guitarist. you can't really dismiss it as a wankfest if the guitar is the featured instrument of the group.

first thing to pop into mind would be jazz guitarist george benson. he's a jazz guitarist. what should his albums consist of if not featured guitar playing?

that would be like listening to "foot village" and complaining there is too much drumming. i just think that within the right context it's perfectly okay to watch/listen someone showcase their skills on an instrument. most of the type i would rather listen to that than somebody crying into a microphone.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #106
Elphenor
Braindead

Pretty much I just want the crying into a microphone

Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #107
slunken
Virgo

i don't know what happened but somewhere along the way i started hating lead singers or traditional frontman-centric bands and started looking at singing from a completely different perspective. can't really explain it very well. maybe it's because i myself am not really interested in singing.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that once i learned that the lead singer-guitar(s)-bass-drums format was not the end-to-be-all of music (in fact it is rather primitive) i pretty much left that format behind.

which sounds like BS because i'm staring at a handful of 80s sha na na (the style not the band although the style is named after the band) records but then again those are like 13 piece funk/soul bands only it's a bunch of white guys in their 30s and 40s not exactly the gin blossoms.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #108
slunken
Virgo

i'm just thinking about this out loud but it seems very demanding of a frontman or a frontman and flashy guitarist to attempt to captivate and hypnotize an audience for an hour more (length of a common album or so) it almost seems like more of a spectacle or a linear plot like watching a movie. i think there are very very few performers that can actually achieve this shamanistic effect, as opposed to song structure after song structure after song structure. i am usually wiped out after listening to an album like that and need to hit the reset button on my brain.

i am reminded of the term "horror vaculi" the fear of white space, and so much popular music just isn't afforded any room to breathe and in fact a lot of it is at a speed twice the rate of the human heart. it's too fast and too crowded and too loud and i honestly don't think that it's healthy to receive repeated exposure to such music.

i am much more interested in bands or groups that are interested in carving out spaces in time for the listener, 120BPM and less, and giving both the audience and the music a space to exist.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #109
Elphenor
Braindead

I understand what you're saying but I think of popular music as a whole separate animal than traditional music like a 12 piece and they're enjoyable for totally different reasons

Old 03-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #110
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but I think of popular music as a whole separate animal than traditional music like a 12 piece and they're enjoyable for totally different reasons
you're right its not i just find it to be more hyper focused towards things i generally don't have much respect for

Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #111
slunken
Virgo

not that i care - my original point i was trying to make but maybe forgot to mention was that it's pretty dang easy to ignore things that you don't or wouldn't care about it's not like these things are forcing themselves into anyone's life (unless maybe you watch a lot of tv?)

like i'm not at the grocery all mad because my favorite music isn't playing. i mean even the people that are bitching about, for example idk kesha, are still living in a world where kesha matters. it doesn't make sense to me.

it would be like going to papau new guinea and trying to have a britney spears/madonna/legacy argument with the members of the tribe. it just completely loses all significance and meaning.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #112
slunken
Virgo

http://static.moddeals.com/moddeals/...s-1%287%29.jpg

Old 03-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #113
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I'm confused on what's supposed to be symbolized there
You'd be the lame lip-stick wearing goth kids, Trotsky and Johnny would be the hipster kids, Catherine Wheel and Monte would be the Nerds and I'd be James Francos cool younger brother.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #114
Elphenor
Braindead

No you and Glass are those two guys looking at the cliques you can choose who gets to be Jonah Hill

Old 03-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #115
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
you're right its not i just find it to be more hyper focused towards things i generally don't have much respect for
I find myself enjoying "music just as music" when said music is more experimental with a larger focus on the rhythm section.

Like I'll listen to Can and krautrock type stuff all day and the lyrics are totally inconsequential

Old 03-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #116
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I tend to listen for the use of vocal sounds and melody more than I do lyrics.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #117
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
You'd be the lame lip-stick wearing goth kids, Trotsky and Johnny would be the hipster kids, Catherine Wheel and Monte would be the Nerds and I'd be James Francos cool younger brother.
its sad youre an adult and are still super concerned with this

Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #118
Elphenor
Braindead

I like when you can really hear a vocalists personality through their voice which I kind of get more through the speak-sing chant type of vocals rather than the actual belting it out on key singing

Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #119
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I like when you can really hear a vocalists personality through their voice
i love this too. i wanted to clarify that i'm not trying to shit on singing or champion instrumental music. singing is amazing, i think i just prefer when its not the focus of the music 100% of the time. i think that vocalists that can actually achieve this are very few and far between.

i just think that vocals should be treated like any other instrument, instead of worshipping lead singers. it would be just like if instead of listening to music with a lead singer you only listened to music with a lead violin. eventually you would be like ok i really only like few players the rest of it i can give a toss about. and do you really even like violins to begin with

Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #120
Elphenor
Braindead

Absolutely, every part should be tastefully incorporated into the whole

But when I do get really into vocalists it has to do with what they're saying which I think adds a whole other dimension to music