Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #61
D.
Consume my pants.

Fwiw my best friend went to the Aragon show and is in STL tonight for that show and she is loving it.

Makes me excited to check it out.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #62
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Everyone here who attended a show on this tour absolutely loved it. I haven't seen this much extended excitement surrounding SP since 2007.

The initial reviews of the new album here have been more positive than any album since perhaps Zeitgeist... After the fact more folks who hated it started speaking out, but initially, the response from fans and media reviews were very positive.
ok, I was at the show last night and wasn't blown away by any means, since this was show number 45 of Bully and Co outlets for me in 20 years, and this show went into the bottom half.
just as I heard the new album and didn't love it. I simply don't have a reason to shit on either while there are indeed people who enjoy it, for what, I can say it once, I don't have to do it 50 times like, for example, you.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:30 AM   #63
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
ok, I was at the show last night and wasn't blown away by any means, since this was show number 45 of Bully and Co outlets for me in 20 years, and this show went into the bottom half.
just as I heard the new album and didn't love it. I simply don't have a reason to shit on either while there are indeed people who enjoy it, for what, I can say it once, I don't have to do it 50 times like, for example, you.

Shit, well I'm being honest and genuine when I say that I think you're the first person here who's went to a show on this tour and wasn't impressed.

If there was any other bad reviews, I don't remember them... Sure, there was some criticisms, but I don't think anyone was disappointed.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #64
fuzzyroes
Banned

You weren't even stoked to see Iha back on stage?

I've watched some bootlegs and broadcasts and stuff and while they certainly sound better than years past, they still seem to be lacking energy, but I know it's a complete different experience in person.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #65
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

could very well be the case, yes.
overall I wouldn't call it disappointed, I knew this wouldn't be for me and went anyway, wasn't really my decision to attend.

I think people "like me" who aren't all hyped about the boys being back, don't go to see this tour to begin with, so there won't be disappointed reviews, they do the right thing by staying home in the first place. Idiot that I am, I did not, that's on me.

no I wasn't, I saw Iha back then when and then we he first joined Bully on stage like what, 2, 3 years back? it makes not much difference to me at this point, if I would go to a show "out of my own free will", it's not to see Iha, it would be the setlist choice, venue, what have you, I never cared all that much for Iha as a musician. as part of Sp, sure, only since I saw enough gigs, that band indeed ended for me in 2000, I get no nostalgia or whatever for seeing another boy back.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:39 AM   #66
fuzzyroes
Banned

That's quite interesting. I didn't make it out to a show as they didn't come to town and I didn't feel it was worth it to trek out to a province over or in Seattle, but I've read a lot of these ecstatic reviews from some of the most bitter and jaded fans. I definitely wasn't expecting the fan response to be so positive.

I watched that whole Seattle show and the set honestly sorta seemed a little bloated, I realize you can't judge unless you're actually there though.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #67
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
could very well be the case, yes.
overall I wouldn't call it disappointed, I knew this wouldn't be for me and went anyway, wasn't really my decision to attend.

I think people "like me" who aren't all hyped about the boys being back, don't go to see this tour to begin with, so there won't be disappointed reviews, they do the right thing by staying home in the first place. Idiot that I am, I did not, that's on me.

no I wasn't, I saw Iha back then when and then we he first joined Bully on stage like what, 2, 3 years back? it makes not much difference to me at this point, if I would go to a show "out of my own free will", it's not to see Iha, it would be the setlist choice, venue, what have you, I never cared all that much for Iha as a musician. as part of Sp, sure, only since I saw enough gigs, that band indeed ended for me in 2000, I get no nostalgia or whatever for seeing another boy back.
would you feel differently if it were the original four?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #68
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
That's quite interesting. I didn't make it out to a show as they didn't come to town and I didn't feel it was worth it to trek out to a province over or in Seattle, but I've read a lot of these ecstatic reviews from some of the most bitter and jaded fans. I definitely wasn't expecting the fan response to be so positive.

I watched that whole Seattle show and the set honestly sorta seemed a little bloated, I realize you can't judge unless you're actually there though.
yea, not that different to me, didn't see the shiny tour, it looked like something I don't need to be bummed out for missing, I saw most of the Seattle video. Arena theatrics with costumes and the greatest hits aren't my thing with this music.

but had I not read so much "woa, this show was so good" from people who did go to Shiny, I might have put my foot down and hadn't gone to Shiny II yesterday, either.
part of me thought I might get into it when actually there, alas, I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
would you feel differently if it were the original four?
differently for sure, if I would have loved it just because, I don't know. i would have been excited, yes, simply because D'arcy was to me a bit like what Iha seems to be to some, an integral part that made SP so important to me. but that is like, alternate reality, I am not in the camp of "no D'arcy, no dice", but how it all went down most def. has a lot to do with why I don't get any nostalgic flashbacks over what we have now.

Last edited by pavementtune : 12-02-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #69
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Have to agree with pave. I saw the Shiny tour and it was just OK. I’ve seen them many other times and it wouldn’t rank anywhere near the top.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:56 AM   #70
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I saw the Shiny tour and it was just OK. I’ve seen them many other times and it wouldn’t rank anywhere near the top.
why, for you?

I mean last night didn't go into my trash drawer of attended gigs, either, I actually left an SP gig in the past because I couldn't take it. yesterday was miles better than that, they sounded tight, no doubt about it. It was just... I don't know. It was fine, yes, not a bad gig by any means, just...I stood there thinking "ok, that's that", like a wet sack.

and now I'm showing myself out, since I am close to having repeated it 50 times now that I don't enjoy current SP all that much, and that in the "just wow" thread, sorry, euls!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #71
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
yea, not that different to me, didn't see the shiny tour, it looked like something I don't need to be bummed out for missing, I saw most of the Seattle video. Arena theatrics with costumes and the greatest hits aren't my thing with this music.

but had I not read so much "woa, this show was so good" from people who did go to Shiny, I might have put my foot down and hadn't gone to Shiny II yesterday, either.
part of me thought I might get into it when actually there, alas, I did not.

differently for sure, if I would have loved it just because, I don't know. i would have been excited, yes, simply because D'arcy was to me a bit like what Iha seems to be to some, an integral part that made SP so important to me. but that is like, alternate reality, I am not in the camp of "no D'arcy, no dice", but how it all went down most def. has a lot to do with why I don't get any nostalgic flashbacks over what we have now.
Wow Pave, I really feel you here. Reading that whole Alt-Nation text exchange really took out a lot of the mystique of the comeback for me. Knowing how they rushed it all together because of some lost wrestling revenue. Though with Smashing Pumpkins, I guess you can never expect a romantic route to their happenings.

With that said, there's no doubt that they sound a lot better from the past several tours. I think all and all, I prefer the show I saw in 2007. Different set-lists each night, long shows full of surprises. The show in Vancouver was the first time on the comeback tour that they played Rocket and Ava Adore and they ended with Starla. I like not knowing exactly what to expect when I attend a show.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:09 AM   #72
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Was at the show.

JAMES MOTHERFUCKING IHA.

that's about it.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:40 AM   #73
paranoid
Minion of Satan

People if you ignore fuzzy he will go away.

Get rid of Jeff and this current band will be better. I do like 3 guitars but I don’t like a third guitar noodling stock dad licks over the otherwise beautiful melodies billy and James play.

Dross as a good example, he just doubles billy’s riff and makes it sound bigger. That’s all he needs to do.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 AM   #74
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Someone show me a pic of fuzzy it’ll help me make more sense about it all.

And fuzzy fuck you for hijacking another thread.
I think I'm the only one on here whose picture is out there. Shit, my pictures were on here when I was like 14!

The hell do all you guys look like?

Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #75
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

We have this general board, you know, with pic posts and all.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #76
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
That’s ridiculous and they need to get over themselves.
Thanks for your massively uninformed opinion.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:48 AM   #77
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Ok, prick.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #78
redbreegull

house of ass

Old 12-02-2018, 05:17 AM   #79
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Indeed.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #80
Brisk
Ownz

hahah that borat video is brilliant, i love the internet.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #81
Eulogy
huh

Great thread guys. Thanks.

What a fucking cesspool.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #82
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post

The hell do all you guys look like?
average height, bronzed, muscular, reverse mohawk, hella tatts, nose ring.

i usually wear designer suits.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #83
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
11th time I think. And maybe the best. For real.

He seems self aware. And he is having fun. And James fucking crushed it.
He made some comment about "the old me". I think he said he was starting to hate the balloons and said "this is where the old me would have lost it".

Then James was like "and then he cursed the audience, and said 'fuck the balloons', tomorrow's click bait". Pretty funny shit,

Porcelina was unbelievable... even better than the arena shows. Obviously the covers were special. The interplay between Billy/James/Jeff is extremely compelling. I'd listen to an hour long jam between them. I wish the show were longer, though.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #84
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
He made some comment about "the old me". I think he said he was starting to hate the balloons and said "this is where the old me would have lost it".

Then James was like "and then he cursed the audience, and said 'fuck the balloons', tomorrow's click bait". Pretty funny shit,

https://j.gifs.com/qYG3Oy.gif

Old 12-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #85
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

No comments on the opening bands? One sounded like a cheaper kings of leon, the other was a guy doing rap/rock about cleaning up the hood and staying off drugs. Thought both were pretty good. The 45 minutes between the grandfather guy and SP was BRUTAL.

Show ran from 2140 - 2330.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #86
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Having only seen the Oceania, End Times and Plainsong tours, I can safely say the Shiny tour blew them all out of the water. I might feel different if I had seen the band in their prime, but there was definitely an energy and enthusiasm that wasn't really present for those others.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #87
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Having only seen the Oceania, End Times and Plainsong tours, I can safely say the Shiny tour blew them all out of the water. I might feel different if I had seen the band in their prime, but there was definitely an energy and enthusiasm that wasn't really present for those others.
I saw the band in 1996 (w/ matt walker), on Machina tour, 2007 (which was a great setlist, WBFTT, LMGTW), 08 anniversary, '15 end times, and shiny tour. I couldn't stomach seeing them with Mike Byrne.

Shiny show was probably the best one.. Porcelina alone was phenomenal, and it truly sounds like the band.

worst was the end times, billy sounded tired, had to endure run2me.. however TTEOR and united States at that show were insane good.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #88
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Great thread guys. Thanks.

What a fucking cesspool.
Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?

Old 12-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #89
FoolofaTook

HE HAD A LOT TO SAY

Old 12-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #90
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post

Porcelina was unbelievable... even better than the arena shows. Obviously the covers were special. The interplay between Billy/James/Jeff is extremely compelling. I'd listen to an hour long jam between them. I wish the show were longer, though.
You were there?! Should’ve told me.

But yeah “the old me would have hated the balloons” line was great. I think he’s learning.