Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 AM   #31
Shallowed
Braindead

I used to think that that AHHHHHHH Bolly chorus intro to Bleeding the Orchid was the worst moment but actually the LALALALALA Bolly chorus intro to P+C is a lot worse.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:02 AM   #32
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

he's sha'd and la'd so much from futureembrace (i guess?) onward i'm pretty much impervious to em
i mean, solstice bare's probably my favorite thing from zeitgeist onward and who knows how many shas and las are on that thing

Old 10-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #33
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I used to think that that AHHHHHHH Bolly chorus intro to Bleeding the Orchid was the worst moment but actually the LALALALALA Bolly chorus intro to P+C is a lot worse.
I think BTO is worse. Pomps meant to be a meditative song, so the vocal choices make more sense.

Pomp is really one of the vastly underrated songs of that era in my opinion. It's a calming, meditative track that you just have to tune into. And once you do it's incredibly enjoyable.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #34
fuzzyroes
Banned

In the summer, I'd lie on my back patio with the sun scorching down on me while I practiced breathing exercises while I listened to Pomp and it would help me transcend my normal state of mind. It's some of Corgans best post-reunion work.

It sucks that everyone hated on this track, cause if people liked it we probably wouldn't have got the cookie cutter shit that we did with Oceania.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #35
Elphenor
Braindead

Pomp is an atrocity

Old 10-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #36
Shallowed
Braindead

It has one of the better (best, even?) guitar solos of post-reunion SP but the song itself is ruined by the ch0ir, like pretty much every Zeitgeist song. Otherwise it could have been up there with Stellar, which was well loved at the time.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #37
werideatdusk
Ownz

I just listened to Zeitgeist for the first time in a few years... it's not such a bad album, it was just an underwhelming comeback disc.

The drums are awesome but I think the only thing that really rocks on the level of the old SP's rocking side is "United States". The other songs can bash all they want but there's an edge missing.

I actually was taken aback with how strong the album is from "Bleeding the Orchid" through "Come On Let's Go" (say what you want but I can't help but feel that this is one of the most propulsive post-Machina songs). "7 Shades" has its moments but just feels false, and coming off of Doomsday, which I have to say is one of the low points of SP albums, certainly as far as track 1's go, it's just a limp start to the album.

I've always thought that the Zeitgeist era really culminated in the 2008 twentieth anniversary tour... the expansive, trippy side of "Gossamer", "March Hare", "SuperChrist", "Set the Controls"... it really felt vibrant and authentic and a real marrying of BC and JC's mentalities. It would have been great to hear them make a real experimental proggy album. Instead Billy wanted to make pop, so there you go. "Widow Wake My Mind" and everything else.

I have a hunch that Monuments to an Elegy is gonna bring back a lot of the old fans. WHatever you think about Oceania, the songwriting was much more developed and strong, than ZG and TBK. And expectations are now so low, that if he does pull off a biting, aggressive, hook-filled album with a bit of soul to it, it could almost make this bizarre and trying 7 year experiment worthwhile.

End rant.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #38
Shallowed
Braindead

When I was into making alternate Zeitgeist tracklists, I always had Tarantula first and That's the Way second. I'm a firm believer that the first track has to grab your attention and set the tone for the album, while the second track can either build on that momentum or take it in a different direction so as to introduce you to different emotional or tonal elements, diversifying the palette as soon as possible. Or in the case of building on track 1's momentum, it can thematically underpin that part of the album, either continuing in that trend or branching out from there into the middle part of the album.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #39
Shallowed
Braindead

Though what typically ended up happening with my alternate album track lists is that the first song would be a rocker and every song after then would be all lovey dovey songs about love.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #40
F.Delacroix
Demi-God

i recall hearing a live version before the release of the album (i think, anyway), and mishearing the chorus as "(there's) only one shade of black"

thought that was, you know, not bad, pretty cool, slick, etc

turns out it was "cause i want you bad" meh mine was better

Old 10-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #41
Shallowed
Braindead

Yeah it was. Kind of funny how sometimes misheard lines end up being better than what it actually was.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #42
werideatdusk
Ownz

I remember hearing "Starz" from the first Paris show and thinking it was really awesome. The produced version is just.... hmph.

Obviously fans are well aware of recorded versions just destroying a good song. The lala's in "The Rose March" and especially "OWATA" demonstrate this. God, I can't even listen to the recorded Owata, and I really liked that song on tour.