Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Default The correct way to listen to music

I keep all my music on shuffle all the time. I'm too ADD to stick to one band or one album anymore.

But my brother has informed me that that is a musical crime. (It certainly ruins concept albums)

We've also had a lot of discussion between speakers vs. headphones vs. car. I have no idea what my sound settings are on my car, but there are certain instruments or song elements that I hear in my car that I don't hear other places and vice versa.

And I can't even talk to him about Pandora vs. Spotify vs. Amazon music. For him, Amazon is the only one worth mentioning because you can listen to an entire album.

So tell me:

1. What device/program do you play most of your music through?

2. shuffle or whole album?

3. speakers, headphones, or car? (preferred or usual).

4. What internet radio or music site do you like and why?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

1. iPod

2. 50/50. I shuffle songs when I don't know what I want or just want songs thrown at me (usually if I'm having a drink or two) but I can't imagine life as a music lover without the full-album experience. Ironically, it was my first iPod that trained me to be a better "album listener." Hearing so many nuggets pop up on my shuffle made me wonder what I was missing by skipping around on my CDs.

I rarely, if ever, stick to playlists.

3. Speakers. Used to be a headphones guy but it's too constrictive for my tastes these days.

4. N/A. I have a shelf of physical albums I am forever adding to, as well as a hard drive the size of Took's dad's cock.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Why do you say headphones are constrictive?

I've found platforms like Pandora to be useful for finding new music, and I hate to say it, but buying digital is getting way too convenient. I don't have to rip CDs onto my computer anymore as long as I buy digital.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't listen to music much anymore because it's just harder for me to get into it and enjoy it as much as I used to.

Probably just a symptom of being engulfed by the void.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I don't listen to music much anymore because it's just harder for me to get into it and enjoy it as much as I used to.

Probably just a symptom of being engulfed by the void.
What do you listen to in the car? Nothingness? Podcasts? Books on... wait... what do we call that now?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust and Ashes View Post
Why do you say headphones are constrictive?
Having my ears covered, not being aware of external noise. Just feels a little too isolated/vulnerable for my life right now. I like to stay as aware as possible. Headphones were nice when I would listen to music into the wee hours of the night while my ex-wife slept. Those days are gone.

Quote:
I've found platforms like Pandora to be useful for finding new music, and I hate to say it, but buying digital is getting way too convenient. I don't have to rip CDs onto my computer anymore as long as I buy digital.
I find I still discover more than enough music year to year. And I don't mind slavishly buying and ripping stuff. It gives me a tangible relation to the music I consume, silly as that might sound. If I "work" for it, I'm more likely to give it a fair chance than if it's something I streamed on a whim out of convenience.

I'm a luddite, what can I say?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

2. shuffle or whole album?
the fantastic middle road that are playlists.

as for sites: was pointed to these labels recently and I cannot stop getting stuff (mp3 in my case), they are both fantastic.

https://www.coleminerecords.com/

http://www.numerogroup.com/

longtime favorite sites:
https://www.gillespetersonworldwide....on-soundcloud/

https://audiotree.tv/live/

Last edited by pavementtune : 02-07-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
It gives me a tangible relation to the music I consume, silly as that might sound. If I "work" for it, I'm more likely to give it a fair chance than if it's something I streamed on a whim out of convenience.

I'm a luddite, what can I say?
There are some bands I still insist on buying hard copies from. Like mewithoutYou.

I wonder a lot about how the packaging might have changed thanks to digitial everything. I used to really like looking through the cover booklet on a CD case and always felt jipped when the band didn't go all out on it. ...or give lyrics...

Have you found a big difference in quality or quantity of the work put into that sort of thing now that everything is digital?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
the fantastic middle road that are playlists.
Playlists seem like a lot of work for me. And it requires me to predict what music I will want to listen to in the future. I can't even decide what I want to listen to while I'm listening to it.

The only time I make playlists is when I'm making my biannual music gift for my friend. I give her a flashdrive of music every year for her birthday and Christmas (used to be mixed CDs, but she doesn't have a CD player anymore...)

Old 02-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #10
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

yea true, I make them each month (for work and running mostly) one day and then go with the 20 playlists I made.

I hate shuffle, I end up with albums and simply skip tracks in that case.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
...the size of Took's dad's cock.
Isn't it good?
(Bosnian wood)

Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

1. Boombox
2. Mixtapes
3. Boombox speakrrs
4. Pirate Bay

Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
1. Boombox
2. Mixtapes
3. Boombox speakrrs
4. Pirate Bay
How often does the tape get stuck in the player and all crumpled up? Do you stick it right back in again after rewinding it with your finger and hope that it'll play just slightly warped instead of forever getting caught on the same spot?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #14
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.exploratorium.edu/sites/...SC_2559_H2.jpg

Old 02-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #15
Shallowed
Braindead

Real men listen to music through their butthole

Old 02-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #16
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Do you stick it right back in again after rewinding it with your finger?
Must.

Resist.

Last edited by FoolofaTook : 02-07-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Real men listen to music through their butthole
Fart joke?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #18
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Must.

Resist.
Did you ever use to put scotch tape over those square holes on the side so you can record over the contents of the tape? ...And then forget to remove it and constantly press the "record" and "play" buttons down together with your fat fingers because who puts the record button right next to the play button like that?! And suddenly all your preciously recorded stuff became nothing but bits of song and dead space and your sister yells at you for stealing her tapes and recording over them because you never had an allowance big enough to buy your own tapes...

Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Fart joke?
Audiophilia is no joke.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 02-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #21
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

Jeez. That's horrible. Sounds like someone's fast forwarding through a cheap 80s movie on a warped VCR.

I have to say, I never got into records. The only ones I ever heard were my mom's old 1960s records of Brazilian singers and they were all scratchy and static-y in sound. My mom always said records were a bane to deal with.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #22
Elphenor
Braindead

whole album start to finish for the first few listens then my favorite tracks revisited whenever i get the urge to hear them

rarely ever shuffle or bother with playlists

Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #23
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

I don't even buy whole albums anymore unless it's a band I'm confident in.

I just don't have the money to keep buying $10+ albums when I only like to listen to a few of the songs.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #24
FoolofaTook

Calvin and Hobbes is good stuff. Especially when Calvin daydreams he's a space fighter pilot taking on t rexes and shit.

Also when Hobbes ambushes him.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #25
Dust and Ashes
Oblivious Virgin

My favorite was always Tracer Bullet, the PI. But apparently, doing his panels were hard because of the negative coloring, so Bill Watterson only did like 2 or 3 of his episodes.

Beyond that, I really liked Stupendous Man.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #26
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

$2 million stereo system, but can't be bothered to pick up a $3 CD rack from Goodwill.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #27
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I stream on my phone with headphones mostly, but also at home (i'm more likely to listen to Podcasts at home than when i'm in transit).

I like to listen to whole albums but I don't always feel inclined to. My process is usually that i'll scope something online, listen to at least half the album if there's a stream up before i decide wether to add it to the library or not. Then I make a point of listening to the whole thing in one go at least once no matter what it is, unless it's really not doing it for me. After that if i go back to a record a lot i usually find that i'll work out what my fav songs are and kinda mentally compile a playlist of what to skip to and then i just tailor it based on how much time i have for listening. If i'm doing something for a couple hours i'll just cue up a handful of albums, try and set a mood, and just let them run on shuffle.

I use Apple music, partly cause it's unmetered streaming on my phone plan and also cause i actually prefer it to Spotify; there's no cap on library size, it already has my old music collection indexed (mostly), and the recommendations playlist is really diverse and i've found a whole lot of good stuff from it. I know apple are fucked but yeah. I also try to spend $20-$50 a month (where i can) buying stuff off Bandcamp, even if i've got it in my streaming library, cause it's like, i know that $5-10/album will almost all go to the artist and add up to way more than all my streams combined.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #28
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
holy FUCK whyyyy

Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #29
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I hate listening to music on headphones.

My preferred listening is on my home system (onkya receiver, AT turntable, TEAC CD/casstte deck, sony speakers, polk subwoofer)

I'll also spin CDs in car, and will play downloaded stuff on my PC with smaller "gaming" speakers and subwoofer

Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #30
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
the worst part of this is that it's billy joel