Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Question Will Corgan ever write good music again?

He has nothing to write about anymore. From 1988-1998 he wrote music because of repressed feelings, angst, love, loss of family, hatred and so on.
But what is Oceania even about? It doesn't make any statements, and if it does, they are as vague as his last remaining hair strands.

Do you see Billy Corgan ever writing what the general Pumpkins fans would consider to be 'good music' again? And if so, in which element would he do so?

By good music, I mean music that is as vivid and emotional as the one found on any album they released between 1991-1998.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

Yes. Of course.
don't give up the hope/

Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
Yes. Of course.
don't give up the hope/
Can't tell if irony because this is Netphoria. Do you believe that?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...29236010_n.jpg

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 01-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
rehabtranny
Amish Rake Fighter

sure, I just doubt he'll write any more good albums. but a song here and there, yes

Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Corgan has written a lot of great music, even now. Oceania was a good album. It is more about his life as a single 40+ rock star dating a 20 year old popstar that is why it is hard to connect to. I now really like oceania a lot.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Corgan has written a lot of great music, even now. Oceania was a good album. It is more about his life as a single 40+ rock star dating a 20 year old popstar that is why it is hard to connect to. I now really like oceania a lot.
Yeah but there are no songs on there that I could imagine anyone feel emotionally connected to in the same way that people feel connected to songs like 'Hummer', 'To Forgive' or 'Tonight Tonight'.

Also, he could find something to write about. Just because he's rich now, he still faces a lot of issues. He could write about how many festivals shun his band as being a nostalgia act for example.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
Yeah but there are no songs on there that I could imagine anyone feel emotionally connected to in the same way that people feel connected to songs like 'Hummer', 'To Forgive' or 'Tonight Tonight'.

Also, he could find something to write about. Just because he's rich now, he still faces a lot of issues. He could write about how many festivals shun his band as being a nostalgia act for example.
maybe it's because you're not 15 anymore. has there been any albums in the last few years that you've felt connected to? it'd be foolish for you to keep being a fresh canvas to be impressioned like you were when you were younger, and it's not easy to write emotionally important music for adults.

I think pink floyd was one of the few bands that managed to write adult contemporary that was great, and even they had growing pains. I'm still curious to see Radiohead and NIN make real changes. it doesn't hurt them that I don't follow them as extensively.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I haven't connected to Hummer and To forgive since high school. I like both songs, especially Hummer. But I think Violet Rays is something a lot of people can connect to.

Tonight, tonight is a once in a life time song that not many could write.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
maybe it's because you're not 15 anymore. has there been any albums in the last few years that you've felt connected to? it'd be foolish for you to keep being a fresh canvas to be impressioned like you were when you were younger, and it's not easy to write emotionally important music for adults.

I think pink floyd was one of the few bands that managed to write adult contemporary that was great, and even they had growing pains. I'm still curious to see Radiohead and NIN make real changes. it doesn't hurt them that I don't follow them as extensively.
Well, Radiohead is a perfect example of a band that had an even smaller fan base than the Pumpkins 15 years ago, but who are now recognized as geniuses with every album they drop. So obviously they're doing something right that Corgan isn't. Because the last thing I refuse to believe is that Corgan has forgot how to structure good songs.

As for albums that have impressed me lately, I'd have to mention Yucks album 'Yuck', Foster The Peoples album 'Torches', and Arctic Monkeys 'AM'. Even if I don't usually care for new music, I can still recognize strong albums when I hear them, no matter which genre.

It's like Corgans ability to write meaningful songs and reach out to anyone under 25 has disappeared completely, which is the complete opposite of what he used to be.
Being old and/or having money isn't an excuse for not writing a stomach-punch of a song once in a while. Especially when you take in consideration this man made a double album with at least 25/28 amazing tracks.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
autumn_amnesiac
Pledge

corgan has to be paired with a competent producer.
flood did everything from MCIS to Machina 2. Butch Vig with the first albums.
I dunno, i just come from the mentality that while an artist has the creative output and decisions.
Producers are there to kinda keep in check or bring the breaks to the album writing sessions.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn_amnesiac View Post
corgan has to be paired with a competent producer.
flood did everything from MCIS to Machina 2. Butch Vig with the first albums.
I dunno, i just come from the mentality that while an artist has the creative output and decisions.
Producers are there to kinda keep in check or bring the breaks to the album writing sessions.
You might be right. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Corgan who said the only good song they had for the next album when getting formally signed to Virgin was 'Rocket'? Which means that 'Quiet and other songs' had to be made some time after they met and spent time with Butch. He just might have inspired Corgan or something alike.

I doubt Butch would want to work with Corgan again though. It just seems bizarre for the two of them to pair up once more for an album that has a big likelihood to crash and burn.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Well, Radiohead is a perfect example of a band that had an even smaller fan base than the Pumpkins 15 years ago, but who are now recognized as geniuses with every album they drop. So obviously they're doing something right that Corgan isn't. Because the last thing I refuse to believe is that Corgan has forgot how to structure good songs.

As for albums that have impressed me lately, I'd have to mention Yucks album 'Yuck', Foster The Peoples album 'Torches', and Arctic Monkeys 'AM'. Even if I don't usually care for new music, I can still recognize strong albums when I hear them, no matter which genre.

It's like Corgans ability to write meaningful songs and reach out to anyone under 25 has disappeared completely, which is the complete opposite of what he used to be.
Being old and/or having money isn't an excuse for not writing a stomach-punch of a song once in a while. Especially when you take in consideration this man made a double album with at least 25/28 amazing tracks.
Kid, no one gives a fuck if corgan – an almost 50 year old man – can reach out to the under 25.

MCIS is really juvenile and I don't listen to that shit anymore. He also wrote that when he was under 30. Also, he has written a lot better songs than many on MCIS, even now. MCIS, has a lot of hype because of the commercial success of the album. It is a good album but anyone who rocks out to jelly belly when over 30 needs therapy.

Also, 15 years ago radiohead was very famous and highly regarded.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You might be right. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Corgan who said the only good song they had for the next album when getting formally signed to Virgin was 'Rocket'? Which means that 'Quiet and other songs' had to be made some time after they met and spent time with Butch. He just might have inspired Corgan or something alike.

I doubt Butch would want to work with Corgan again though. It just seems bizarre for the two of them to pair up once more for an album that has a big likelihood to crash and burn.
Wrong and wrong. Corgan has always been very involved in the production of the albums. In fact, d'arcy once said that Billy produced the producers and they produced the albums.

Could Billy benefit from the help of butch vig? Who wouldn't? also I believe butch said he would work with Billy again.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Kid, no one gives a fuck if corgan – an almost 50 year old man – can reach out to the under 25.

MCIS is really juvenile and I don't listen to that shit anymore. He also wrote that when he was under 30. Also, he has written a lot better songs than many on MCIS, even now. MCIS, has a lot of hype because of the commercial success of the album. It is a good album but anyone who rocks out to jelly belly when over 30 needs therapy.

Also, 15 years ago radiohead was very famous and highly regarded.
I'm 28. Also, I never cared for any reviews or sale figures of any album ever. There are probably albums that have never been released that surpass multiple Beatles albums in a lot of ways. Mellon Collie has a lot of great songs for a double record, thats about it. Obviously no one in 2014 is going to mosh to Jellybelly or Zero, but that doesn't mean they don't have fierce power as songs.
I'd say the Pumpkins were more reputed in, lets say 1993-1997, than Radiohead were.

But then Kid A came out.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Wrong and wrong. Corgan has always been very involved in the production of the albums. In fact, d'arcy once said that Billy produced the producers and they produced the albums.

Could Billy benefit from the help of butch vig? Who wouldn't? also I believe butch said he would work with Billy again.
I never said he wasn't involved in producing his albums? Also, I agreed with the fact that Butch would help out Billy a lot as he has before. The fact that Butch said he wanted to work with him again - now that doesn't mean jack shit.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
So obviously they're doing something right that Corgan isn't.
Radiohead didn't break up over a decade ago.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Ok Computer was huge when it came out in 1997. I also was a huge fan of the bends and listened to that constantly before I became a pumpkins nutso fan. 1998, the pumpkins were still a hugely famous band, adore just confused people. 2000 they were still headliners. I think Machina was the beginning of Billy making albums that didn't necessarily have his best songs on it. I think zeitgeist era has some real gems though the album is pretty crappy.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I never said he wasn't involved in producing his albums? Also, I agreed with the fact that Butch would help out Billy a lot as he has before. The fact that Butch said he wanted to work with him again - now that doesn't mean jack shit.
Billy said he doesn't want to work with a producer. It isn't that they wouldn't work with him.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Yup.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #21
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
So, SP would have a much much bigger fanbase had they not broken up? They would have faded away even more, probably with two more albums released along the way. Corgan could never turn the dime on Machina II, lets face that fact for a second. At least not from the commercial aspect, even if I don't care about that. Radioheads albums have always performed well and been well executed creatively. Because Radiohead didn't have a 'Machina' to fuck things up.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #22
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Ok Computer was huge when it came out in 1997. I also was a huge fan of the bends and listened to that constantly before I became a pumpkins nutso fan. 1998, the pumpkins were still a hugely famous band, adore just confused people. 2000 they were still headliners. I think Machina was the beginning of Billy making albums that didn't necessarily have his best songs on it. I think zeitgeist era has some real gems though the album is pretty crappy.
The question people need to ask themselves is: What would Corgan even release after Machina II, if he had not broken up the Pumpkins?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
I haven't connected to Hummer and To forgive since high school. I like both songs, especially Hummer. But I think Violet Rays is something a lot of people can connect to.

Tonight, tonight is a once in a life time song that not many could write.
The thing with 'To Forgive' and 'Hummer' though, is that he could still write songs like that. People don't change that much in 20 years, and Corgans feelings for his childhood, lovers, feuds with the music business, probably haven't changed that much.

Violet Rays is a good song, but it didn't do anything for me on a deeper level.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
People don't change that much in 20 years
You must know Corgan very well.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #25
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
The thing with 'To Forgive' and 'Hummer' though, is that he could still write songs like that. People don't change that much in 20 years, and Corgans feelings for his childhood, lovers, feuds with the music business, probably haven't changed that much.

Violet Rays is a good song, but it didn't do anything for me on a deeper level.
Many of Oceania's songs are inspired by his love affair with with his then GF, his perspective is just not what many of us would experience. Billy is almost 50, he has forgiven a lot of the abuses he endured from living with his father, he also is in more control with the people he dates because they are so much younger than him. He isn't in his 20s anymore.

Billy has a tea house and wrestling whatever. He watches history movies and hangs with his cats and dogs.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You must know Corgan very well.
Lol, so true! Also, I know myself pretty well and I think it 20 years I changed a fuck ton. Don't know why anyone else would stay the same.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Many of Oceania's songs are inspired by his love affair with with his then GF, his perspective is just not what many of us would experience. Billy is almost 50, he has forgiven a lot of the abuses he endured from living with his father, he also is in more control with the people he dates because they are so much younger than him. He isn't in his 20s anymore.

Billy has a tea house and wrestling whatever. He watches history movies and hangs with his cats and dogs.
I still think he could do better than Oceania. Just better.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #28
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I think that if Jimmy was on oceania many here would put their penis in it.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #29
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Yes. Of course.
don't give up the hope/
I thought you gave up hope when Billy died?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

Corgan writes good music all the time but chooses to shelve it because it's so good it would be easy to release