Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #61
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

TFE was not a 'pop star wanna be' album. Indeed like redbreegull said it is harder to listen than any SP album.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #62
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

yeah he did what he wanted to do, no compromises or attempt at being popular, which is why it didn't sell, at all.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #63
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I see the 80s influences there pretty strongly, but not at all in a poppy way. Man, listen to the production on this album. It's lush, deep, resonant. All qualities which have been completely lacking in the Zeitgeist and Teargarden era stuff.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #64
Ball Sack Face
Banned

Didn't TFE only sell something like 8,000 copies the first week? Or maybe it was 20,000, but I just remember the number being embarrassingly low for a guy who five years earlier had an album sell 165K the first week.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #65
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldango View Post
what makes you think this?
watching him attempt to "act" in front of a green screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
TFE was not a 'pop star wanna be' album. Indeed like redbreegull said it is harder to listen than any SP album.
everybody keeps saying it's "harder to listen to than sp". that is arbitrary and means nothing. completely subjective, it is. i find it strange how this album is NOT compared to every other interesting-frontman-from-a-band-puts-out-solo-album. this work reeks of 80s grandiosity, which we all know billy is steeped in. there was a thread a few weeks ago and ppl are all like "i rlly don't see the new order influence etc etc" AND THEN THERE'S THE ENTIRE FUTURE EMBRACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
yeah he did what he wanted to do, no compromises or attempt at being popular, which is why it didn't sell, at all.
this does nothing at all to negate the fact that its a self-indulgent pop record. these types of records fail all the time -> see: peter murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I see the 80s influences there pretty strongly, but not at all in a poppy way. Man, listen to the production on this album. It's lush, deep, resonant. All qualities which have been completely lacking in the Zeitgeist and Teargarden era stuff.
this has nothing to do with what i'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Sack Face View Post
Didn't TFE only sell something like 8,000 copies the first week? Or maybe it was 20,000, but I just remember the number being embarrassingly low for a guy who five years earlier had an album sell 165K the first week.
see: pretty much every electronica new/dark wave record put out by a frontman from a band known for dark and/or moody music

here's another easy example: the glove

Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #66
slunken
Virgo

everyone here is familiar with the marked right? we've all seen vieuphoria, yes?

he had the money.

so why is it so difficult to accept the fact that this is his 80s jack-off record?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #67
_incoma_
Amish Rake Fighter

I really don't understand this board. It's like you guys only dig very early pumpkins and piss all over everything else related to them post 1994. I mean yeah I kind of do the same thing with Korn post 1997 but I'm not going to dedicate a chunk of my time everyday to go to the same board to bitch about it or make fun of what has happened to them since or even go as far as to make jokes about their family members. That being said, if by saying it's combating "the Brittany's of the world" because it's an honest attempt at making sincere music as opposed to the commercial fuck-fest that existed in the 2000's than yeah that's sort of possible. The only thing is he really didn't go out of his way to promote it and shove it in everyones face. It seemed like he wanted an intimate vibe throughout that whole era. Super limited tour, one video and no follow up album seems like a pretty soft assault. The whole thing came off more like a "Hey if you give a shit to check out what I've done in the last year here it is" sort of thing. Beyond the initial announcement that record was a very quiet affair. And by the way just cause someone makes pop music doesn't automatically pit them against commercial pop artists. There is a very obvious difference there. If that were the case then I guess Depeche Mode, The Cure, Ohgr, Fischerspooner, and David Bowie have just been targeting commerical pop starts all their careers. Give me a break, it's fucking artistic self expression through whatever music or medium seem to lend it self best to the accompanying message. Now piss all over this cause you're too bitter and dense for anything that isn't a slight about how non-grunge the pumpkins are since billy shaved his head.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #68
Radiofred
Apocalyptic Poster

Were Korn ever good?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #69
slunken
Virgo

bot deleted

Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #70
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by _incoma_ View Post
I really don't understand this board. It's like you guys only dig very early pumpkins and piss all over everything else related to them post 1994. I mean yeah I kind of do the same thing with Korn post 1997 but I'm not going to dedicate a chunk of my time everyday to go to the same board to bitch about it or make fun of what has happened to them since or even go as far as to make jokes about their family members. That being said, if by saying it's combating "the Brittany's of the world" because it's an honest attempt at making sincere music as opposed to the commercial fuck-fest that existed in the 2000's than yeah that's sort of possible. The only thing is he really didn't go out of his way to promote it and shove it in everyones face. It seemed like he wanted an intimate vibe throughout that whole era. Super limited tour, one video and no follow up album seems like a pretty soft assault. The whole thing came off more like a "Hey if you give a shit to check out what I've done in the last year here it is" sort of thing. Beyond the initial announcement that record was a very quiet affair. And by the way just cause someone makes pop music doesn't automatically pit them against commercial pop artists. There is a very obvious difference there. If that were the case then I guess Depeche Mode, The Cure, Ohgr, Fischerspooner, and David Bowie have just been targeting commerical pop starts all their careers. Give me a break, it's fucking artistic self expression through whatever music or medium seem to lend it self best to the accompanying message. Now piss all over this cause you're too bitter and dense for anything that isn't a slight about how non-grunge the pumpkins are since billy shaved his head.
obvious troll is obvious

Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #71
Kahlo

Quote:
http://gameinformer.com/resized-imag...ll-of-text.png

Fucking hell.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

what an interesting and unique observation.

also, it's more like after 1999

Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #73
Extremis
anti anti anti

Typical that people just thought tfe was going to be better smashing pumpkins or something

Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #74
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
everyone here is familiar with the marked right? we've all seen vieuphoria, yes?

he had the money.

so why is it so difficult to accept the fact that this is his 80s jack-off record?
I'm not denying that, he openly admitted several times he was going for an extremely specific sound. He actually really put effort into owning the 80s thing when the album came out, and he touted it repeatedly as being him visiting Low-era Bowie.

What I don't agree with is that it is a "pop" record. Even if it is b0lly does New Order or whatever, the Smashing Pumpkins were always much more of a pop band than any of the post-punk goth stuff he is referencing in TFE.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #75
_incoma_
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
what an interesting and unique observation.

also, it's more like after 1999
Being a fan from before Follow the leader, it was a way more noticeable change than that of what was after 99'. It seemed like they stuck with that formula and just tried to get heavier. Regarding how good they were isn't really the issue. It's the change I was talking about. Even though I wasn't down with their change rather than bitch it was better not to care. Back on topic though, I also felt that TFE was kind of weak at the time but have since then really got into it. I was kind of thinking it might be the heavy electronica album he said adore would be. Oh well, once it grew on me it was cool cause it was different. Plus heavy pot smoking at the time didn't hurt. All in all The Eraser, The Future Embrace, and Playing The Angle all in one year, not so bad of a year in music.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #76
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

no one gives a shit about korn

Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #77
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

who the fuck brought Korn into this

fucking hell

Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

just so you know kid, the pumpkins were never grunge

Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #79
Trotskilicious
Banned

also everyone here loves MCIS

it's just that we have differing opinions on where they/he started to suck real bad

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #80
redbreegull

that's true, but I would say over 90% of the people here think highly of Adore, and a majority of us think there are strongly positive elements to the Machina albums as well

Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #81
_incoma_
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
that's true, but I would say over 90% of the people here think highly of Adore, and a majority of us think there are strongly positive elements to the Machina albums as well
Whatever, I guess all the comments on here talking shit about everything other than Gish and Siamese Dream are just a bunch of jokes... Either way I could care less. It was just that the idea of people gathering at a message board for that seems like the sole purpose of it's existence is pissing on some dudes work that at some point in time you guys used to appreciate for his creativity. BTW, the example of korn was for reliability, considering everyone on here was listening to music in the 90's it seemed fit. Had we been talking about the 80's maybe i'd gone with U2 maybe if it were the 70's Alice Cooper. And yeah, never considered the pumpkins to be grunge either. It was a shot at what weird fucking ideas and standards you guys hold the band to. For people calling me "kid" it's kind of sad that for such mature adults you all still have pathetically closed minds. Peace!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #82
Trotskilicious
Banned

maybe some of us don't like parts of MCIS can we still be fans of this dumb band

by the way most of the board posts on the general chat, which isn't about making fun of billy corgan

so the idea that this board's sole purpose is to talk about SP is not actually true

i know you just discovered it and are already an expert so please continue lecturing us about being "closed minded"

Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #83
redbreegull

I'd like him to point me to the deluge of MCIS bashing posts

Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #84
_incoma_
Amish Rake Fighter

I've been here since 07 actually. And I'm just not all that interested in digging up stuff on a message board. Since I'm a "kid" and "just discovered it" I would probably do it wrong anyway.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #85
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

no one care

Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #86
Kahlo

Talking

Quote:
Either way I could care less.
Glad to hear that you still have some emotional investment, and have the ability to care less. Retard.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #87
Ball Sack Face
Banned

Quote:
I've been here since 07 actually. And I'm just not all that interested in digging up stuff on a message board. Since I'm a "kid" and "just discovered it" I would probably do it wrong anyway.
Yeah, you probably would.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #88
redbreegull

if so many people here hate on MCIS all time, it shouldn't be that hard to dig something up.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #89
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #90
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Whatever, I guess all the comments on here talking shit about everything other than Gish and Siamese Dream are just a bunch of jokes... Either way I could care less. It was just that the idea of people gathering at a message board for that seems like the sole purpose of it's existence is pissing on some dudes work that at some point in time you guys used to appreciate for his creativity. BTW, the example of korn was for reliability, considering everyone on here was listening to music in the 90's it seemed fit. Had we been talking about the 80's maybe i'd gone with U2 maybe if it were the 70's Alice Cooper. And yeah, never considered the pumpkins to be grunge either. It was a shot at what weird fucking ideas and standards you guys hold the band to. For people calling me "kid" it's kind of sad that for such mature adults you all still have pathetically closed minds. Peace!