Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2002, 09:41 PM   #1
TimRoss
Pledge

Default Beatles Dr. Ebbets Catalog Remastered Bootlegs

I feel late joining the party, but holy crap, I've just discovered the Dr. Ebbets bootleg remasters of the Beatles catalog. For anyone who is a Beatles fan, I HIGHLY suggest that you track these cd's down. The sound BLOWS away the official cd releases.

If anyone here already know of this, please point me in the direction of a FAQ regarding these remasters. I'd love to know more...(I'm looking in your direction, Mr. Miller.)

Old 11-11-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
Finsta

Where are these available? How much?

Old 11-11-2002, 11:12 PM   #3
TimRoss
Pledge

I've found them on some of the DC shn hubs, with the Beatles/Beach Boys Hub being the most plentiful. Of course, they're free on the hub. I don't have any complete albums, so I can't trade them out yet. (Still awaiting your input, Mr. Jesse Miller.)

Old 11-12-2002, 03:16 PM   #4
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Default Re: Beatles Dr. Ebbets Catalog Remastered Bootlegs

Quote:
Originally posted by TimRoss
I feel late joining the party, but holy crap, I've just discovered the Dr. Ebbets bootleg remasters of the Beatles catalog. For anyone who is a Beatles fan, I HIGHLY suggest that you track these cd's down. The sound BLOWS away the official cd releases.

If anyone here already know of this, please point me in the direction of a FAQ regarding these remasters. I'd love to know more...(I'm looking in your direction, Mr. Miller.)
Jesse's probably at lunch or something.

Anyhow, there's at least 3 different sources for good remasters of the Beatles catalogue. There's the Dr. Ebbets, the Millenium Remasters and the Mirrrspock reissues. There's very little difference between the Ebbets and the Millenium editions; they're both sources from the highest quality vinyl available. The Milennium is supposed to give you the widest sound available, comparable to the original vinyl editions. This is especially good when comparing the Millenium discs to the offical issues of the first 4 records; you'll hear a lot of digital artifacts in the official CDs that you might never have noticed until you hear the Millenium.

I don't know much about the Ebbets, except that I don't hear much of a difference between them and the Millenium discs. The Mirrorspock I mentioned are "remixes" done for fun to accentute different parts of the recording (for example, removing a guitar for a song or splitting "The Ballad of John and Yoko" into quad.) They're not that important, but they do sound cool. I'm not entirely sure that he's gone and done a whole album yet. There's extensive discussion about this kind of thing on the Beatlegs group on Yahoo!

Old 11-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #5
Mason R Butler
walks among us

IN CELEBRATION OF THE BEATLES 40TH ANNIVERSARY SIGNING TO EMI, MILLENNIUM REMASTERS IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE RELEASE OF THE BEATLES COLLECTION

MILLENNIUM REMASTERS is an ongoing project dedicated to transferring rare audiophile mono & stereo LP1s to the CD format. All recordings are 24-bit analog to digital transfers mastered in full 24-bit. Most sources are audiophile-quality unplayed LP1s to insure the cleanest possible end result.
Each recording is hand declicked (if and where necessary) as opposed to any overall sound processing which generally leaves tell-tale signs in the recording.

THE BEATLES COLLECTION is an audiophile, archival quality set of transfers of The Beatles UK mono & stereo albums. The titles are as follows:

PLEASE PLEASE ME mono / stereo
WITH THE BEATLES mono / stereo
A HARD DAY1S NIGHT mono / stereo
BEATLES FOR SALE mono / stereo
HELP! mono / stereo
RUBBER SOUL mono / stereo
REVOLVER mono / stereo
SGT. PEPPER mono / stereo (UHQR)
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR mono / stereo
THE BEATLES 4 CD mono / stereo
YELLOW SUBMARINE 2 CD mono / stereo
ABBEY ROAD stereo
LET IT BE stereo

The mono source is the early 801s UK MONO LP BOX SET (superior to the Japanese Red Vinyl version) . The stereo source is the early 801s MOBILE FIDELITY BOX SET (except for SGT PEPPER which was transferred from a sealed MFSL UHQR). All LP's were sealed providing a minimum of clean-up. The turntable used was a LINN SONDEK LP 12 with a MICRO BENZ cartridge and a LINN LK 1 phono preamp. This information is provided as it truly makes a difference in the fidelity and soundstage achieved. Each CD has the original UK mono cover with the MFSL cover on the fold. Each back has the original LP artwork with the CD having the proper Parlophone / Apple label.

The reason we did this set is two-fold. There has been a proliferation of MFSL Beatles titles issued on CD in the last year. The best ones go back to a set which was transferred about 6 years ago. Even the ones that have been cleaned-up or "24-bit mastered" are from these old transfers. No matter how
enhanced these new versions may be, they cannot compensate for the short comings of these old transfers.
The new transfers have greater headroom with a fuller soundstage. There is more definition in the instruments and greater clarity in the vocals. In general, the recordings are cleaner and more open sounding.

Our hope is this set will satisfy both the die-hard Beatles collector and the audiophile. We have produced an archival set of mono / stereo UK original mixes in their best sound to date.

This set is a limited run of 100

All CD1s are professional Taiyo Yuden CDR's. For those disappointed that these are not pressed "silver discs", please understand that most CD1s along this vein are produced who knows where, and have extremely high blur (error)
rates. Even commercially produced CD's have blur rates much higher than professional CDR's. We have created this archival set which will be playable for years to come.

Old 11-12-2002, 03:24 PM   #6
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Red face Re: Re: Beatles Dr. Ebbets Catalog Remastered Bootlegs

Quote:
Originally posted by TimRoss
(I'm looking in your direction, Mr. Miller.)
Quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Music
Jesse's probably at lunch or something.
I was busy eating pho.

I know nothing about this... I was actually re-editing my mono Sgt. Pepper last night since my other disc is scratched all to hell. Then I went to sleep.

What bootlegs are we talking here? Barrett stuff, vinyl masters, what?

Old 11-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Default Re: Re: Re: Beatles Dr. Ebbets Catalog Remastered Bootlegs

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Miller

I was busy eating pho.

I know nothing about this... I was actually re-editing my mono Sgt. Pepper last night since my other disc is scratched all to hell. Then I went to sleep.

What bootlegs are we talking here? Barrett stuff, vinyl masters, what?
Research, Mr. Miller. You've gotta stay on top of the game.

Old 11-12-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Thumbs down Re: Re: Re: Re: Beatles Dr. Ebbets Catalog Remastered Bootlegs

Quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Music

Research, Mr. Miller. You've gotta stay on top of the game.
I lost the game long ago.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #9
MUZZLER
Amish Rake Fighter

http://www.bootlegzone.com type Ebbett in a search box somewhere on that page. Also theres some info in their message board.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:55 PM   #10
TimRoss
Pledge

I've been listening to the first disk of the White Album, and if you are any sort of Beatles fan, you'll want these discs.

If you are like Jesse, your head will probably explode. This stuff is so far superior to the Capitol releases, it just defies proper description.

Anyone else have a chance to listen to them?

Old 11-14-2002, 12:57 AM   #11
MUZZLER
Amish Rake Fighter

May I ask how you got your copies? and are they from Ebbitt himself or are they a cdr of them. I may have to come out of retirement and make a few trades to get some of these discs.

Old 11-14-2002, 01:08 PM   #12
Mason R Butler
walks among us

You can trade for them, or find them on DC as SHNs. I'm sure they're buyable too, but nobody wants that.
Ventolinn signed off at 11:21:50 PM.