Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #61
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
as for this tour being more lucrative with D'arcy - they do not have to pay Jack Bates nearly as much as an original member.
Plus if they could get away with paying D'arcy an appearance fee, they'd have the best of all worlds.

D'arcy expecting a 25/25/25/25 split is what Billy couldn't accept.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #62
T&T
Socialphobic

it'll be 55/15/15/15. jack gets peanuts.

curious how they're ALL J's?
Jimmy, james, jeff & jack "white"

Old 05-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #63
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Not gonna lie I totally subscribed to Apple Music to hear the interview tonight! lol

Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #64
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Honest question:

If D'Arcy was physically and mentally able to play the bass and tour, do think Billy would pick someone else for this reunion? Taking in consideration it would probably be more lucrative with her.
Fucked up people tour in rock bands all of the time. It's not rocket science. I think they could have made it work, and if she was a disaster, well then they're at where they are now. (Of course we're assuming the worst about D'arcy. They could have had some stipulations put in place if they were concerned)

People don't expect perfection when it comes to rock bands. If she fucks up a bit live, people would understand.

Ace Frehly was a total mess when he reunited with Kiss for the massive reunion tour in the mid 90's. Obviously Gene and the guys could have easily got a fill in who was much more competent, but the selling point was having the original lineup back together.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #65
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
it'll be 55/15/15/15. jack gets peanuts.

curious how they're ALL J's?
Jimmy, james, jeff & jack "white"
Don't talk disrespectful of Jack Bates, him to get peanuts!
This guy is known for having a nut allergy...

Old 05-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #66
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Don't talk disrespectful of Jack Bates, him to get peanuts!
This guy is known for having a nut allergy...
And for having almost zero bass skills... Amirite

Old 05-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #67
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

at least that makes him the perfect darcy replacement

Old 05-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #68
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobtheliar View Post
And for having almost zero bass skills... Amirite
And the way, he played "Ruby" he should be better than D'arcy?

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 05-15-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #69
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Another clip appeared:

Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #70
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

While the full interview is not up on Youtube, Rolling Stone quotes some extra stuff:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...abbath-w520208

About D'Arcy

Quote:
The songwriter described Wretzky – who is not participating in the band's reunion recordings or their highly anticipated Shiny and Oh So Bright tour, after months of headline-worthy drama – as having a "very dismissive, very punk rock" attitude toward Smashing Pumpkins' more commercial material. "To her, if something didn't have an internal integrity, it was worthless," he said.

"She saw music as more of a lifestyle thing – I play when I want to play; I show up when I have to," Corgan continued. "Where I ate, left, died music 24 hours a day, took drugs to listen to music ... because I wanted to learn more. You'd see her [when] we'd come off a tour, and you could tell she hadn't picked up a bass in two weeks. It was just different lanes of commitment in my mind, but I'm more appreciative as time has gone by that everybody approaches music completely differently."
Jimmy is writing music and brought (+/-) 8 ideas:
Quote:
He probably played me eight ideas ... Not surprisingly because he's so incredibly gifted, but he can write. It's weird because he's 53, and he just started writing. And one of the eight songs that Rick picked is a song that started with Jimmy."

Old 05-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #71
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I am curious to see if Jimmy will get any writing credits in upcoming music. I knew that was a huge sore spot when he left in 2009. Maybe one of his conditions to coming back for new music was that he'd get songwriting credits, or that Billy would at least try out some of his ideas. This gives me a shimmer of hope for the new music. At least it will be something different.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #72
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

a glimmer of hope

Old 05-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #73
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the amount of adult rock n' roll douchebaggery between these two is staggering

Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #74
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

"She saw music as more of a lifestyle thing – I play when I want to play; I show up when I have to," Corgan continued. "Where I ate, left, died music 24 hours a day, took drugs to listen to music ... because I wanted to learn more. You'd see her [when] we'd come off a tour, and you could tell she hadn't picked up a bass in two weeks."

Yeah, that's because some people actually have lives and don't need to live and breathe music 24/7 to fill some massive void and overcompensate for some lingering childhood insecurity.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #75
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Still wonder, why Linda Strawdingle is busy pretending to learn bass...

Old 05-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #76
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

https://youtu.be/_saCkQSLyUk

"rick [rubin] only works with people he thinks are great"

BC is so goddamn insecure

Last edited by Oklahoma Sexual : 05-14-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #77
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Full interview:

Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #78
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
https://youtu.be/_saCkQSLyUk

"rick [rubin] only works with people he thinks are great"

BC is so goddamn insecure
Rick Rubin produced the bulk of Chef Aid: A South Park Album. Which featured a collaboration between System Of A Down and Puff Daddy. As well as Perry Farrell performing the Chef song Hot Lava.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #79
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

this interview was amazing. perhaps because billy respects lars and feels comfortable around him. some insights here were absolutely staggering for me. when he got into the nitty gritty and talked about the working process of the band, or about jimmy's "stunning" ability to recall arrangements, or each member's contribution to the mix. or how the different members would go about making their suggestions. so cool. this is so my jam, and i devoured that info like sweet fruit.

also, did anybody notice that quick passing moment where he drew parallels between a producer and a father figure? that was a particularly heartbreaking moment. i think he didn't realize what he was saying on record, and it just slipped under the radar, but it makes so much sense if you're the least bit clued into his history and personality.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #80
fuzzyroes
Banned

Cool interview. I've always got a big kick out of Lars and he does a great job in this interview. I didn't even know he had a podcast. I'm looking forward to watching more of his interviews.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #81
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Part two was aired Sunday on apple radio. It liteally made me sick how everything that came out of his mouth very subtly either built him up into a god or completely disrespected someone else. Seriously fuck this dude. Textbook narcissist.

He talked about Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (producers for the classic 90s videos) and even though he was trying to say nice professional words of graciousness, he still stumbled into saying that basically the “cool edginess” of those videos was all him and that JD/VF basically made everything dumb and cute for the masses.

In an apparent attempt to address the most recent wave of “fuck you’s” from the public due to his arrogant and shitty personality, he basically equated the dysfunction in the band in the 90s (caused by him using James and Darcy as good-looking stage puppets) to Kurt Cobain being a disciplined craftsman as a writer and singer. lol.

He also went into one of his classic, “im not an egomaniac....I’m just so much smarter than everyone that I’m playacting and convincing you I’m an egomaniac....for your own good” rants.

He referred to Mike Potential who gave SP a huge break )by putting out their music when no one else would) as a “weird sex creep.” Very gracious.

He described Butch’s role in making Gish as “keeping Jimmy in a good frame of mind” because of his addiction issues. Fair enough but really if your friend said that about you on the radio wouldn’t you wanna slap him? Especially when Butch clearly would have had to spend at least as much time dealing with Billy’s issues.

When asked to talk about how he got involved in wrestling he quickly went into this whole bit about “well to be honest due to my status as one of the biggest rock stars of my time, I naturally was able to become friends with people in the highest levels of the wrestling world” which somehow then turned into him humble bragging about having Tony Iommi’s phone number and being a millionaire.

I could go on. lol

I dunno. You can tell he’s trying to “be a nice guy” and “give other people credit” and “come across as a humble guy” but literally everything that came out of his mouth had this douchey arrogance and callousness lurking just underneath the surface. I almost gaggged like eight times while listening to it.

As time goes on, it becomes more and more clear to me why Kim Deal trashed him as an egotist in 1994. Much like everyone else did.

Billy = the Donald Trump of alternative rock

Last edited by johncg : 05-15-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #82
fuzzyroes
Banned

lol that's funny you mention the Trump comparison. I've thought that before too. They're definitely the same kind of people. Trumps actually more gracious though. Billy always kind of always downgrades his peers while Trump will just give praise. It's different now with political opponents, but that's the case with any politician.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #83
majesty
Pledge

My, my doesn’t someone just love the smell of their own turds

He is so tone deaf like dear god. With #MeToo going on, he goes and gaslights his female bandmate, denies her equal time, pay, contribution and spotlight and shit talks her to other crusty narcisistic white dudes.

Well I’m off to start building a time machine to reclaim my time as an SP fan, it’s been real

Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #84
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar Littlejeans View Post
Rick Rubin produced the bulk of Chef Aid: A South Park Album. Which featured a collaboration between System Of A Down and Puff Daddy. As well as Perry Farrell performing the Chef song Hot Lava.
lol Rubins actually done a ton of stinkers.

He produced Sporty Spices solo album

Old 05-15-2018, 02:04 AM   #85
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Fuzzy, YOU ARE a stinker!

I hate the Spice Girls too, but Melanie C's "Northern Star" is an all time classic:

Old 05-15-2018, 02:13 AM   #86
inkless
Ownz

northern star
am i frightened
where can i go to rest
i can't sleep
and i'm still fighting
wait, don't breathe

Old 05-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #87
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
this interview was amazing. perhaps because billy respects lars and feels comfortable around him. some insights here were absolutely staggering for me. when he got into the nitty gritty and talked about the working process of the band, or about jimmy's "stunning" ability to recall arrangements, or each member's contribution to the mix. or how the different members would go about making their suggestions. so cool. this is so my jam, and i devoured that info like sweet fruit.

also, did anybody notice that quick passing moment where he drew parallels between a producer and a father figure? that was a particularly heartbreaking moment. i think he didn't realize what he was saying on record, and it just slipped under the radar, but it makes so much sense if you're the least bit clued into his history and personality.

Heartbreaking ???? You fuckin drip.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #88
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd be more excited about Melanie C doing a Northern Star anniversary tour than whatever billys doing. Mel C owns

Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #89
TuralyonW3
Immortal

There's some great stuff in the full interview about the creative dynamic with the other bandmates

Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #90
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Sounds like one of the new songs is based on a Jimmy idea musically. Cool.