Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-28-2015, 12:40 AM   #421
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

He wrote and recorded monuments all in 2014 right? Why would D4N be any different?

That said I doubt machina is out this year, if ever

Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 AM   #422
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
I doubt machina is out this year, if ever
why on earth would he bail on machina after making it to adore, which was a 6-disc reissue at that

Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #423
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

first of all, the reissues were announced in 2011. he's been pretty good about getting them out on time. keep in mind they can't just come out whenever and take hours and hours to make. there hasn't been a gap between reissues longer than a year and a half. what in the world could make you think machina i & ii won't happen? that's the end of it all. imo all the reissues have been pretty well put together and generous. recognize that our complaints (we've heard these demos / i didn't want this show) are minor compared to billco's other moves. of course there will be more "work product" released in the future. who knows about post sp1 though.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #424
lionheart0
Demi-God

I need the Zwan music though. The closer we get....the further it seems away. I'm better off not thinking about it.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 AM   #425
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I can believe he'll get DFN and the Machina reissue out before the end of the year, assuming he puts the same week-long amount of effort into DFN as he did with MTAE.

Only partially sarcastic.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:07 AM   #426
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
first of all, the reissues were announced in 2011. he's been pretty good about getting them out on time.
no, he hasn't.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20110426
Quote:
The second wave of releases, which is scheduled for 2012, will include the Pumpkins' 1995 double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, the five-disc rarities set The Aeroplane Flies High, and the 1998 goth-electronica record Adore. In 2013, the band will merge Machina/The Machines of God and Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music into one package. This will be the first time Machina II will be released commercially in its entirety – the four-disc set was originally made available for free online. A new hits disc is also planned for sometime in 2013.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #427
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
dude, considering that MCIS and TAFH were both double albums i understand the six month lag in between. dude was touring and recording while adore was being put together. he's 2 years off schedule, big deal

Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #428
Cool As Ice Cream

i'm not saying it's a big deal, but i wouldn't call it "being pretty good about getting them out on time".

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #429
Kahlo

Grox probably works in public transport.

FUCK YOU GROX.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #430
Cool As Ice Cream

yes, fuck you, grox
fuck you!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #431
The Melty Man
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I can believe he'll get DFN and the Machina reissue out before the end of the year, assuming he puts the same week-long amount of effort into DFN as he did with MTAE.

Only partially sarcastic.
He seems to be completely re-writing DFN because of lukewarm response to MTAE. That might push the Machina reissue back even further. And I wonder if we'll ever see the "best-of compilation will also be released in 2013" that was promised by EMI, and if it is released, will it be loaded with Reprise-era tracks because EMI no longer own Virgin...?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #432
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man View Post
He seems to be completely re-writing DFN because of lukewarm response to MTAE.
The lukewarm response to MTAE might be the best thing that could have happened to D4N. It just might be the push that Corgan needed for him to make D4N a really quality album! Lets hope so! I mean Burnt Orange Black alone (if it is still included on the album after the rewrite) packs more of an emotional punch than anything off of Monuments aside from maybe Drum+Fife.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #433
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

honestly i feel like this one's gonna lie more in the production than anything

because burnt orange is a good song, i've only heard it about 2 times but i can still recall it, so the thing that would actually bring me back to it on a studio version would be the recording/production actually having some mystique

versus it being produced like a zeit track or whatev with his vocals way upfront and no real ethereality to anything

that's not really but zeitgeist was like but well you know fuck it

Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #434
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
if there is ever a consolidated "re-issue" of all of Teargarden, I'd like for a number of songs to be re-written or properly developed or just alternate versions that are more complex.
Teargarden: Polishing turds

Who would buy that?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #435
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Lukewarm reception has never compromised Billy's thinking going into a follow-up. Never

Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 AM   #436
vajohna
Ownz

Still hoping for an entire disc made up entirely of alternate "Sacred + Profane" versions.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:53 AM   #437
Elphenor
Braindead

You know he must have like 12 of those fuckers

Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #438
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
yes, fuck you, grox
fuck you!
yeah, fuck him

FUCK YOU PUBLIC TRANSPORT WORKER!!!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #439
MisterLove
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i'm usually not a big fan of official live releases but the mixing on dark globe is phenomenal (much better than any other recording sbd or no) and of course all of the double door (rehearsal/live) material is incredible too.
The entire TAFH reissue is worth it for that live CD alone.

There's some other great bonus materials on the last three re-issues especially, but the "Inside the Dark Globe" compilation is possibly the greatest single CD of Pumpkins in existence IMO. Double Door is great too, but I wish they went with some different track selections there. The demos and such were sort of hit and miss for me, a few great ones, but also some redundancies.

Hopefully these reissues sold well enough Billy might be interested in doing a modest "bootleg" program like some other bands have done over the years - and Double Door would be a perfect candidate for that. Maybe make them "limited edition" runs of 1000 pressings - and market them as such to get them to sell through more quickly. It's amazing that even with 13 discs worth of MCIS, I still want more. Looking back, it's also too bad Gish and SD were just 3 discs, instead of 5 or 6 disc "super-deluxe" editions.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #440
Ram27
dumb

Dark Globe was fucking amazing

Just needed Ruby and Muzzle

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #441
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Dark Globe is awesome for sure. I wonder if it was something that was actually mixed at the time (96') for live release and then was shelved? They should have definitely released a double live album in 96' from the shows before Jimmy was fired. It would have sold well and would be regarded as one of the greatest live albums ever now.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #442
Ram27
dumb

That entire Brixton show would've made a splendid live album. Gorgeous mellow unplugged opening set -> MCIS -> WBFTT. Jellybelly, Bodies, Ruby, Cherub Rock, Fuck You.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #443
MisterLove
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Dark Globe is awesome for sure. I wonder if it was something that was actually mixed at the time (96') for live release and then was shelved? They should have definitely released a double live album in 96' from the shows before Jimmy was fired. It would have sold well and would be regarded as one of the greatest live albums ever now.
Supposedly they did top of the line multi-track ADAT soundboard recordings for *EVERY* show on the MCIS tour and presumably thereafter (at least I"m pretty sure did for Adore, Arising, Machina). To me it doesn't sound like Double Door shows on the reissue had the same quality recordings (albeit still plenty good for "official bootleg" purposes). They might not have done that upgrade until later in '95 or when the Infinite Sadness tour started in full effect in 1996. It also implies that before this time of "recording every show", they would only have that type of super-high quality recording for a few shows at best. Who knows what they have stored away overall?

I was hoping they would drop some complete shows as part of the reissues. Obviously MCIS and TAFH were loaded with content as they are, including some nice live DVD's. But it was disappointing that the only live stuff on Siamese Dream reissue was probably the most bootlegged show in their history (8/14/93). Obviously a huge upgrade from unofficial SBD, but it would have been nice if they had also had a CD of SBD audio from some other random show from 93 or 94.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #444
MisterLove
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
That entire Brixton show would've made a splendid live album. Gorgeous mellow unplugged opening set -> MCIS -> WBFTT. Jellybelly, Bodies, Ruby, Cherub Rock, Fuck You.
Yep, it's too bad that wasn't the FULL show. But I presume that's all that was video-taped (or all they could locate a suitable video master of almost 20 years later).

A complete early 1996 show with those acoustic sets would be among my most wanted "official" releases, if we are talking audio only. Especially one with that rarely performed version of Soma.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #445
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLove View Post
Obviously a huge upgrade from unofficial SBD, but it would have been nice if they had also had a CD of SBD audio from some other random show from 93 or 94.
Agree with everything you said, but there are few killer SBD Siamese Dream shows out there. The Manchester Academy show is amazing and is perfect sound quality since it was a BBC recording:
https://archive.org/details/tsp1993-09-15.shn

Unfortunately the awesome version of 'Bury Me' from that show is not included there. It can be found on the 'Spaceboy' bootleg though which is also worth having.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #446
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLove View Post
Supposedly they did top of the line multi-track ADAT soundboard recordings for *EVERY* show on the MCIS tour and presumably thereafter (at least I"m pretty sure did for Adore, Arising, Machina). To me it doesn't sound like Double Door shows on the reissue had the same quality recordings (albeit still plenty good for "official bootleg" purposes). They might not have done that upgrade until later in '95 or when the Infinite Sadness tour started in full effect in 1996. It also implies that before this time of "recording every show", they would only have that type of super-high quality recording for a few shows at best. Who knows what they have stored away overall?

I was hoping they would drop some complete shows as part of the reissues. Obviously MCIS and TAFH were loaded with content as they are, including some nice live DVD's. But it was disappointing that the only live stuff on Siamese Dream reissue was probably the most bootlegged show in their history (8/14/93). Obviously a huge upgrade from unofficial SBD, but it would have been nice if they had also had a CD of SBD audio from some other random show from 93 or 94.
I wonder if they kept doing that for Zwan

I wish they included a full 05/23/1994. It's a big contrast from how SD songs were performed earlier in the tour, and it's energetic as fuck. But the AUD recordings sound bad and the proshot stuff on youtube sounds horrible

Old 02-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #447
Ram27
dumb

And this shit makes me mad every time I think about it

https://archive.org/details/tsp1996-04-24.flac16

I can kind of understand talking between every song, but don't talk over the fucking ends of the song, including the kickass two minute Ruby outro. I actually downloaded this and tried to edit it out, but I was getting so pissed off I couldn't

Old 02-10-2015, 03:55 AM   #448
werideatdusk
Ownz

Looks like all but two of the Dark Globe tracks were mixed by Howard Willing, most likely in 2013. Who new old Howard was good for something? Maybe Corgan should switch out him and David Bottrill!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 AM   #449
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Who new?

Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #450
Modern90's
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Lukewarm reception has never compromised Billy's thinking going into a follow-up. Never
When Every studio album you put out in the past decade is "Luke warm" then maybe he is starting to consider it