Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Default $50 for a shirt?

Businesses await the Pumpkins’ arrival
by Tony Kiss, [email protected]
published June 19, 2007 12:15 am
e-mail this Print this
ASHEVILLE — Five days before reunited alt-rock darlings The Smashing Pumpkins arrive for their sold-out residency at The Orange Peel club, some downtown businesses already are looking to grab business from fans.

Limited edition Pumpkins T-shirts are hanging in the window at the Union clothing store at 15 Haywood St., and anyone buying one is entered in a drawing for a concert ticket.

Advertisement
Union is one of just two stores to carry the $50 Drifter shirts, store employee Bill Morris said. The other location is in San Francisco, where the band will play later this month.

“We’ve sold a couple of them but anticipate them going swiftly once the Pumpkins are in town,” he said.

With some fans coming from as far as West Canada, he’s expecting Asheville to have “an Olympic village feel” during the band’s nine-show engagement,

Meanwhile, Pumpkins fans who might need a spa or pedicure can find a discount at Sensibilities Natural Body Care and Day Spa at 59 Haywood St.

The spa will offer a 20 percent discount on products (after a treatment) to anyone holding a Pumpkins ticket, employee Sara Van Ormer said.

One of the biggest rock bands of the 1990s, the Smashing Pumpkins will play nine shows over 12 days at The Orange Peel, starting Saturday night. It’s their first U.S. shows since 2000 and is one of the biggest music events in Asheville in decades.

Contact Tony Kiss at 828-232-5855, via e-mail at [email protected]

from http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770618096&theme=SMASHINGPUMPKINS

Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashkin33

Meanwhile, Pumpkins fans who might need a spa or pedicure can find a discount at Sensibilities Natural Body Care and Day Spa at 59 Haywood St.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker
Now I'm just jelous I don't have a tic so I can get a sweet discount on gettin' my nails did.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
ordinary apathy
Ownz

Discount isn't even good for a pedicure; it's just for all the shit they're going to try to make you buy after you pay full price for a treatment. Asheville's gonna have to try a little harder to get me to blow even more disposable income than I already am next week.

Any one see any pics of this fancy $50 shirt? Union doesn't even have a website that I can find. Curiosity compels me to check out this luxury garb.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Martyr
m o n o c h r o m e

Quote:
With some fans coming from as far as West Canada
....and alot further than that too.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
starlaluna
Ownz

Drifter? I guess you can expect something similar to their other graphic T-shirts. I am assuming they will be decent.

link: Drifter

Old 06-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
MonteLDS
*sigh*

you got to be kidding me.. they better sell the same shirt @ the concert

Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster

Question

Quote:

The spa will offer a 20 percent discount on products (after a treatment) to anyone holding a Pumpkins ticket, employee Sara Van Ormer said.
From what I remember reading about the Orange Peel's ticket policy, you're goin' to get your tickets at the window and then give 'em to the person at the door where they will not give the ticket back to you.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
zsp77
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck=Zero
From what I remember reading about the Orange Peel's ticket policy, you're goin' to get your tickets at the window and then give 'em to the person at the door where they will not give the ticket back to you.

You won't even get a stub? That's fucking American piracy at its finest. Long live the dollar bill!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlaluna
Drifter? I guess you can expect something similar to their other graphic T-shirts. I am assuming they will be decent.

link: Drifter
I checked out the link, they shirts seem pretty cool. But not $50 cool. It's a t-shirt for crying out loud. (But they do beat the old beefy t's circa 1998!)

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
steelfaerie
Ownz

Quote:
I checked out the link, they shirts seem pretty cool. But not $50 cool. It's a t-shirt for crying out loud. (But they do beat the old beefy t's circa 1998!)
Oh smashkin, you know my hatred for the beefy-ts.

if it was something like those Drifter shirts I might even be incited to wear it instead of making something out of it.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaerie
Oh smashkin, you know my hatred for the beefy-ts.

if it was something like those Drifter shirts I might even be incited to wear it instead of making something out of it.
Yup that beefy t comment was dedicated to you!

Hey, you ownz now!

It's too bad those shirts are $50, I don't think I could justify that purchase. BUT ALAS, I won't get one anyway.

Steelfaerie, you're going right? You probably mentioned which dates before, but tell me again?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
steelfaerie
Ownz

Quote:
Steelfaerie, you're going right? You probably mentioned which dates before, but tell me again?
7/2 and 7/3. But I'm going to be in Asheville from June 29, so maybe if I go insane and decide to buy one, there'll still be some left.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Have fun on my birthday for me (7/2) Think of me just once! While you're there, I will be at this place called Bomber's Burrito Bar drinking a free gallon-sized margarita.... You'll be rocking so hard and I'll be crying from tequila!

(went a little overboard there, I know!)

Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
ordinary apathy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck=Zero
Good point. I guess they'll be able to tell who the SP fans are by their non-hippyness.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary apathy
Good point. I guess they'll be able to tell who the SP fans are by their non-hippyness.
Is Ashville a "hippy town"?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
mpp
Minion of Satan

yes

Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Is Ashville a "hippy town"?
Yuppies and Hippies. V-dubs and starving dogs as far as the eye can see.