Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-27-2017, 04:21 AM   #5281
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Do people eat a lot of hotpot in Shanghai? That's another eat till you burst meal. I need to have my food on my plate and then just eat that and be finished, I'm not cut out for this just keep eating for two hours and drink beer the whole time, style eating
it's kind of a thing, yeah. in chinese it's called "huo-guo".
they have restaurants specializing solely in it, which means the tables have big holes at the center with boiling hot soup of two separate kinds: one is colored red and makes your nose runny, an the other is a more clear kind of soup, tinted somewhat green.

a hotpot restaurant on a busy night is like walking into a sauna that smells like aggressive chinese soup. your glasses might get foggy upon entering cause there is so much steam going on. i don't really go anymore cause the smell sticks to your clothes and most of what you can order is meat anyway.

but, i do occasionally go for the poor man's version of a hotpot - malatang. which is basically a small stand in the street where you pick a bunch of veggies and/or meats, give them to the grouchy guy standing over an angrily bubbling pot, and he cooks it in the soup for you and serves it scalding hot it's not even funny. essentially the same thing, only much cheaper and without the other annoyances.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:42 AM   #5282
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
At my worst, I did a dozen in one sitting. This, as it turns out, was fucked up and I was subsequently shamed for it at gatherings. A pretty normal dose for dinner would be three or four had with nothing else (though I think I'll stick with six), but they're just as often had in ones and twos with pizza or as a starter before gorging on coal-fired meat.

The hypothetical half-dozen order that's making my soul cry:
2x knife-cut beef (as opposed to mince)
1x spicy beef
1x spinach and béchamel
1x creamed corn (trust me)
1x random choice like mozzarella, tomato and basil / mozzarella, bacon and prune / mozzarella and onion
12, jebus. Good grief.

I slow cooked a bunch of beef today because a new grocery order arrived and it no longer fitted in the freezer. Maybe I'll try making these mystical knife cut beef empanadas...do you have a dough recipe?

Old 12-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #5283
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's kind of a thing, yeah. in chinese it's called "huo-guo".
they have restaurants specializing solely in it, which means the tables have big holes at the center with boiling hot soup of two separate kinds: one is colored red and makes your nose runny, an the other is a more clear kind of soup, tinted somewhat green.

a hotpot restaurant on a busy night is like walking into a sauna that smells like aggressive chinese soup. your glasses might get foggy upon entering cause there is so much steam going on. i don't really go anymore cause the smell sticks to your clothes and most of what you can order is meat anyway.

but, i do occasionally go for the poor man's version of a hotpot - malatang. which is basically a small stand in the street where you pick a bunch of veggies and/or meats, give them to the grouchy guy standing over an angrily bubbling pot, and he cooks it in the soup for you and serves it scalding hot it's not even funny. essentially the same thing, only much cheaper and without the other annoyances.

There's a chain here called MALA HOT POT that does those single bowls, so I wonder if it's related to malatang. my older son really likes it, I think it's ok. I want it to be more than a sum of its parts and it just isn't, somehow.

We went to a hot pot place like the one you described and by the end of the meal I never wanted to eat ever again. It was delicious but man there was so much food. I can imagine how the smell must seep into your clothes. I couldn't smell it over the cigarette smoke that ours were laced with after staying in planet Earth's last smoking hotel rooms. It's been a while since I've been in a hotel with ashtrays in the lobby and the rooms. I kinda thought that with the smog outside I mean why wouldn't you smoke inside, might as well.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #5284
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Going to my favorite all you can eat sushi place today.
I shall come rolling back.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #5285
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
never heard of 'em.

cheese enchiladas eh. Never had them either
I wasn't aware this was possible. We got 'em for school lunch ffs. Not that those are the version I'd recommend.

And all the Korean side dishes are called banchan and yes you get them at basically every meal. Want some!! They put weird toppings on their pizza though, from what I hear. I'm so picky.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #5286
vixnix
Socialphobic

Meat pies, sausage rolls and lamingtons were on the menu at my school

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/file...cheese-pie.jpg

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Content...roll-large.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6217/...ca4c3a374f.jpg

that fancy ethnic food was nowhere to be seen, in the 1990s in NZ. No wonder I went vegan, eh. bleuch

Old 12-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #5287
vixnix
Socialphobic

I made empanadas tonight

well, I should say. I tried to make empanadas. The filling was kinda crap, it was just slow cooked beef and potato and cheese, which was a combination of different web recipes. The feedback was smaller bits of potato and more potato, and less dry. But the dough was actually ok.

I did an egg wash and sprinkled salt on the top before baking because I was worried they would be too bland - I under seasoned the filling. But when I took them out I was worried they would be too dry, so I spread a generous amount of butter over them.

I guess the key here is that adding butter and salt makes anything good. yes. that is correct.

I will probably try again. The pastry was pretty good.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #5288
LaBelle
Socialphobic

In my school there was no lunch (brazilian classes are usuall 7 am to noon) but during our break i'd run to the bar to get a coxinha de frango (chicken's thigh roughly translated):

http://s.glbimg.com/po/rc/media/2015...ha_650x350.jpg

It's ground chicken meat with cream cheese, and to me as a kid it was the best. Unfortunately the bar had only like, 4 every day for sale so me and my friends would compete to see who would get there first to get them.

Many many years later this delicious crap food has become basically the symbol that represents our local far right people. We call them coxinhas.

I hate that, denigrating a good piece of food on crap people.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #5289
vixnix
Socialphobic

yeah that is definitely a shame. those look delicious

Old 12-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #5290
ilikeplanets
Braindead

they do look delicious and so do those lamingtons, but I have no idea what they are. Neither does my spellcheck. NZ has the cutest product names, though. Please don't tell me they are made of lamb, cuz it looks like cake and I like cake. We weren't allowed cake in American school lunches. Cookies and ice cream were fine, though. And pizza and french fries. ??????

Old 12-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #5291
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Huskies are awesome. They look like canine lords.

Fuzzy, on the other hand, sucks scrotal sacks.
https://i.imgur.com/OCatAIf.gif

Old 12-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #5292
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/05/pumped_kid.gif

Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #5293
ilikeplanets
Braindead

he's just writing it so daintily

Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #5294
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Maybe I'll try making these mystical knife cut beef empanadas...do you have a dough recipe?
I disagreed with how this was done, but there's no turning back the clock now.

https://i.imgur.com/XSTUia6.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/q69AJdo.jpg?1

Trouble is, I have no idea what any of the best places were actually putting in the fillings of their beef range. Aside from the whole olive, that is, which nobody thought to warn me about as I went to bite my first.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #5295
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Buzzard Sleeeeep canceled their NZ tour because someone involved in it turned out to be a Baphomet cocksucker (Al is cool like that).

So I guess you won't be missing out.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #5296
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Hadn't heard about that one at all. Life Is Noise seemed to be becoming more and more responsible for decent shows coming our way, too.

Thanks, Australia. We can always rely on you to be awful / ruin everything.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #5297
FoolofaTook

US outfit Sleep have today axed their 2018 tour of Australia following sexual misconduct allegations against promoter, Dave Cutbush. The band took to Facebook to confirm the cancellation of the run, originally slated to commence next month.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #5298
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Hopefully they can organize another way of visiting that doesn't involve sexual impropriety or playing at Galatos.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #5299
FoolofaTook

Still haven't found out from Safeway if they will hire me. Called twice today and the manager ignored my calls. Tomorrow it will be four weeks since the interview. This shit is driving me mad.

Reprise is this normal? Wtf is going on? I wish I could get a yes or no, instead endless waiting.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #5300
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It happening this time of the year there's a possibility they only actually get around to it in the new year, so I wouldn't know for sure.

However, in my personal experience not hearing anything from a work interview after a couple weeks means they are not calling back.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #5301
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I hope they do call you, fwiw

Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #5302
FoolofaTook

This is what happened:

I went in on a Monday had the interview. She calls me in on Thursday drug tests me and I pass. Tells me the background check program isn't working and that it will be back on in 36 hours. .Six days later she calls me back. I tell her I am leaving for Salt Lake City in an hour. She says call when you get back. I do and she says she will call the next day to schedule the back ground test. Three days later she calls and tells me to come in 45 minutes. She knows I live three miles away. I get there in 42 minutes she makes some comment about how its her lunch break. Does the check says she will get the results in three days. I call on Sunday (I have her cell) no answer. I call Tuesday she says she will check. I call Wednesday (today) no answer.

Almost wish she doesn't hire me at this point.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #5303
Ram27
dumb

I don't get why you had to come in just so they could do the check

If they don't want to hire you because of your record, they should at least have the courtesy to say, right? I hope?

Good luck though

Old 12-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #5304
FoolofaTook

They way they do it is I type all my convictions into a text box on the browser. Then she ran it. I guess they want to see if I am honest?

Very confused and frustrated and weedless.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #5305
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

the whole thing sounds really weird, honestly

Old 12-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #5306
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Old 12-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #5307
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
the whole thing sounds really weird, honestly
When I did the drug test someone called and she scheduled an interview. So I think she lied and had me leave and interviewed the other person. they didn't work out so she called me back. or maybe they got hired but they might not stay so I am some sort of back up?

This shit is giving me a headache. At least it has helped me not smoke, if nothing else.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:41 AM   #5308
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

im sure they had more interviewees. it would be weird to lead you on as a backup like that. it just sounds like they are disorganized and/or the higher ups don't want to commit for whatever reason and keep telling her contradictory things

Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #5309
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

took i don't know shit about procedures like that in the US, but that still strikes me as super fucking weird and dishonest.

i'd suggest running away and trying to find something else. you don't have to settle for anynthing just because you're an ex-convict. if this is only the interview stage it's going to get a hell lot worse, man.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 AM   #5310
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
i wish i had this penmanship