Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #181
paranoid
Minion of Satan

There is mtv footage from 1998 of waronker recording this song. There was an RS article around the same time that mentioned him. You can hear it's him too, his style is very present on this, IMO.

Also, these are real strings in the song. One of the few songs from the era (for Martha, as an example) recorded with all real instruments.

There are a lot of songs on adore that don't fit well on adore. Tear is the first thing that comes to mind. It could do without perfect as well. It's not the most cohesive record in SP's catalogue, for sure. I imagine if it had been included on adore, most would have a hard time picturing the record without it.

I guess I just love it and wish it had been there, and I've wished that ever since adore came out, so maybe I'm biased.

Last edited by paranoid : 08-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #182
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling stone 1998
ON THEIR FORTHCOMING ALBUM, "ADORE," THE SMASHING PUMPKINS GET MOODY AND LEAVE THE GUITAR NOISE BEHIND - BY DAVID FRICKE

The performance is simple and tender - just Billy Corgan crooning his pinched tenor over the solitary shimmer of his acoustic guitar. Circular in its chord patterns, straightforward, at least on the surface, in its romantic sentiment, "Let Me Give the World to You" is the last song to be recorded for the Smashing Pumpkins' forthcoming album, Adore. But for all the naked clarity of this first take, the singer and guitarist senses deeper, stranger possibilities in the tune as he listens to a playback, his white, shaved head bent deep in thought in Studio A at Sound City in Van Nuys, California - the same room, coincidentally, where Nirvana recorded Nevermind.

"I can see where this is going," Corgan says sharply as the tape ends; he turns to producer Rick Rubin: "It's a nice Pumpkins pop song. But I can see it somewhere else, breaking up into something different." Corgan illustrates his point by swinging his arms to one side, as if he's throwing pieces of the song around the control room.

"Do you have any idea what that something is?" Rubin asks. "We can do something basic, just you and a click track. Then you can add and subtract ideas." Rubin has been invited by Corgan, who produced other trakcs on Adore, to take the reins for this final number. And Rubin does so with sunny patience, gently prodding the chief Pumpkin to be more explicit about his ambitions for "Let Me Give the World to You."

Corgan, dressed in black from neck to toe, fishes for a reference point and comes up with the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever." "It's a pop song," he says, "but then all this strange stuff goes on in it, things dropping in and out. I know what we have can be a good pop song. I want to see how fucked-up it can be."

That has been the Pumpkins' modus operandi for the past year. Since their first round of demo sessions for Adore back in February of '97, Corgan, guitarist James Iha and bassist D'arcy have sorely tested their own sanity as a band and the promise and durability of Corgan's material: More than thirty new originals where whittled down to about fourteen for the album, which is set to be released at the end of May. They've used multiple drummers and scrapped weeks of inconclusive work, including sessions held last fall in Chicago with producer Brad Wood. They've cut some songs live in the studio and built others on tape, overdub by overdub. They've gone the unplugged route and jammed with drum machines. In short, the Pumpkins have made Adore, their fourth studio album, the hard way - by trial and error.

So it is with "Let Me Give the World to You." It takes three hours of going nowhere fast - including Corgan's aborted passes at the song on piano and unsuccessful experiments with tape speed and echo - to persuade Corgan, Iha and D'arcy to try the obvious: playing together in real time. As Iha threads the melody with ethereal fills on a Hammond organ and guest drummer Joey Waronker, from Beck's band, hits a tribal pulse, "Let Me Give the World to You" quickly ripens into something special. The spooky pneumatic tension of the group's attack fleshes out the melancholy and irony lacing Corgan's lyrics.

One night and fifty-eight takes later, the Pumpkins decide they've played the song to near perfection; they end up editing a composite track from the best performances. But Rubin figures the initial false starts were worth the trouble. "If you have a great song, you can make twenty records out of it," he says smiling through his long, thick beard.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #183
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
is there an effect on the vocals?
It sounds like it.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #184
slunken
Virgo

this recording gets better each day. i love it.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #185
slunken
Virgo

Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #186
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Strangely enough, Coran says a pivotal, if unlikely, inspiration for the sound and quirky immediacy of Adore was the early-1950's Sun recordings of Howlin' Wolf: "I was really blown away by the visceral energy. There's other things I was listening to: Son House, Muddy Waters. But I wasn't attracted to the song form per se. I was attracted to the spirit in the music. It seemed more rock & roll to me than any other rock & roll I could listen to." Corgan was so taken with the notion of a roots 'n' groove Pumpkins record that at one point he talked to both Daniel Lanois and T-Bone Burnett about producing Adore.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181293

Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #187
bs1933
Demi-God

Apologies if I missed or it as in another thread but has anyone been able to rip the audio from the site? My usual media downloaded isn't picking this one up for some reason

Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #188
slunken
Virgo

its just a youtube link. have you tried other browsers?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #189
bs1933
Demi-God

Derrrrr. I didn't realize that it was just on Youtube because they disabled the title bar at the top. I found the URL and I'm able to grab the file from Youtube. Weird that my plug-in was not catching it on the Zuzu site. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #190
slunken
Virgo

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/...3f91b9da_m.jpg

CASH REWARDS

Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #191
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Just click the youtube icon.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #192
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Has it been confirmed anywhere that Waronker played the drums on this?
He also mentioned it in the Confessions. I do not feel like looking it up, but I specifically remember him describing Joey as "shell shocked" as he was not used to the Smashing Pumpkins way of recording (i.e. focusing on one song for hours at a time, playing it over and over again until it was perfect). Corgan mentioned that it was a moment of insight for him as he came to realize that even on an album like Adore, where James and D'arcy were relatively uninvovled in the album making process, the two of them put in more work than most other bands just in their ability to keep up with the rigors of the studio.

I also remember he says Joey later admitted the whole thing was worth the trouble.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #193
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills
I know what we have can be a good pop song. I want to see how fucked-up it can be."
just make a good song you bloody cunt

Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #194
T&T
Socialphobic

It's weird to me that this premier is just a youtube link and not a sponsored link to some exclusive on a website of some sort.
Has billy lost his pull?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #195
starlightvideoproductions
Ownz

Great song but like many others, I just feel the drums are off. The verses sound like a click track and the chorus's fills sound out of place. Lets get the multi-tracks, strip the drums off the adore version, strip everything else off the M2 and combine!

Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #196
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
It's weird to me that this premier is just a youtube link and not a sponsored link to some exclusive on a website of some sort.
Has billy lost his pull?
he can't win. people complain when he does that stuff and when he doesn't they ask questions like this.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #197
T&T
Socialphobic

lets not pretend he didn't do it because we complained the last time he did... the man does what he wants.
sponsorship (clickbait) is a legitimate source of revenue in 2014 for musicians. sure we'll complain, but it's par for the course.

you're right, he can't win.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #198
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

i fucking love this. the vocals are fantastic. expressive, dynamic, right on.
he was right, it doesn't fit on adore, but they could've promo'd it anyway.

truly bizarre to me that he had this and identify around that era and didn't release them [and no, imbruglia doesn't count]

Last edited by aztec litany service : 08-13-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #199
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

The click track overwhelms the song...the drumming is sub_par, and sounds amateur...and the ending falls flat...and the layering of the end of the song sounds like a community college sophomore's art project. MII version was much more professionally done. Does Rick Rubin offer refunds? You do better on your own, Billy, like your sadlands demos. don't over think things. You're a baseball fan - you know what happens when you over think things. That being said, thanks for this song. You should be proud.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #200
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Did anyone notice that the edition on the vocals is clearly listenable at 1m13s?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #201
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah, you can hear the punch-in there a bit.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #202
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The live version they did on some of the early Adore shows in Europe with Kenny Aronoff was better than this. He should have drummed on Adore. I guess they didn't start working with him till after the album was complete though.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #203
iPumpkin
Ownz

This video is private.

WTF!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #204
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Please note that due to prior agreemement this link will only be active for a few days. Adore Box Sets are currently available at: www.madamezuzus.com ; Madame ZuZu's prices being cheaper

Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #205
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Absolutely groundbreaking.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #206
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPumpkin View Post
This video is private.

WTF!
>>>

http://ohitsjustawful.files.wordpres...lly-corgan.png

http://i.giflike.com/CWu0f57.gif

Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #207
Kahlo

so....mp3 rip anyone?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #208
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
so....mp3 rip anyone?
i'd love to go through the effort of posting a lemonparty link for you, but apparently that's no longer appreciated around here, and i don't want to get banned for trying to help out, so i'm very sorry, but no can do. je suis désolé.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #209
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Change it up a bit. Maybe go with a Goatse link this time.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #210
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

The entire rerelease torrent will be here soon. Don't steal music, though.