if you will it, it is no dream

once i get over [name redacted] i'll probably drink less. probably

Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #4622
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
ilp, you don't have to explain things to us or anyone when it comes to how you feel. you have every right to feel proud of yourself for every small step you make towards any goal you have.
this x 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
When I dream about getting high I really feel it. It's very fucking alarming to wake up and tell myself it didn't really happen. Maybe there's still chemicals floating around in my body or something. Or I just have the sensation memorized too well from all the years of drug abuse. It's not a pleasant experience because I only dream about getting high when I know I shouldn't be getting high.
I still get this way when I dream of smoking weed. When it's pills I never actually get to the ingestion, or if I do I don't feel anything. But when I smoke weed in dreams, one hit and I'm like high as fuck... and then I go into work the 'next day' and get drug tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
that's awesome reprise
Quote:
And damn reprise, you're gonna be such an awesome professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Yeah. Forensic psychology right? That's awesome.
thanks guys. i am just about done applying at two grad schools so hopefully i'll get an interview at one or both on Tuesday I had an especially productive day writing about self-deception, i pretty much did the entire section in one day at about 1200 words and 5 sources. which is a lot. usually i only write about 300-500 words a day cuz most of the work is reading and going on source hunts, like one source leads to another etc, or they are using a method to do some experiment so now i need to explain why that method is valid so i find the original study that tested that method... and so on. and then some guy thinks the first guy is full of shit so in order to balance it out i need to write his opinion as well. thats basically what happened with self deception, most of it is about one dude's hypotheses and the other one is like

https://i.warosu.org/data/cgl/img/00...6333783791.jpg

Last edited by reprise85 : 11-17-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #4623
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

hell yeah my second reference just put in his letter of recommendation for university of miami for me. they have everything except my third letter now. which is in process

Old 11-17-2017, 01:50 AM   #4624
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

not that anyone cares but the basic evolutionary explanations for self deception are
1. people who lie give off clues so if they lie but don't know they are lying this avoids this
2. we have a need to see ourselves as benevolent and helpful to others, so if we lie while ignorant of our lies and then get caught but can truthfully say it wasn't on purpose we will feel less bad about it and probably avoid as bad of a punishment
3. having a positive orientation to one's self and the future is advantageous, see placebo effect, self-fulfilling prophecy, etc

but this other dude thinks 1 is bullshit and that self deception is not a selected-for trait (as far as evolutionary fitness is concerned) but a byproduct of having advanced cognition

considering dude #1 is like a pioneer of evo psych dude #2 is taking on a lot but i sort of agree with him. most times we self deceive no one ever knows it, so how could it be for other people. not that my opinion matters, i'm just reporting what current research thinks but this kind of stuff is almost completely theoretical because you can't design good experiments to catch self deception. the only one i found was this:

Quote:
In a separate study, 75 women and 86 men read an article alleging that caffeine was a danger to women in particular and was associated with breast cancer, and that it should be avoided completely. Subjects then reported how much they believed the article. Unsurprisingly, women who drank more caffeine were more skeptical about the article, while those who drank little caffeine were more likely to be believers (Mele, 1997). The men who were exposed to the article did not differ as much on their belief based on how much caffeine they consumed. Presumably, since the (fake) data did not pertain to them, they were less likely to be biased based on their caffeine consumption (Mele, 1997).
but like who's to say women coffee drinkers are not just more scientifically inclined or skeptical in general, no one fucking knows

Last edited by reprise85 : 11-17-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #4625
run2pee
Minion of Satan

i deeply care about the topic of self-deception, more pls

Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #4626
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Yeah that was hella interesting reprise. And I will be in florida in just over four months from today!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #4627
Cool As Ice Cream

self-deception

Old 11-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #4628
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Florida summers are pretty rough, if you haven't experienced one before.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #4629
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
i deeply care about the topic of self-deception, more pls
you asked for it

Quote:
Self-deception is somewhat of a philosophical and psychological puzzle. How can one simultaneously deceive and be deceived? Does this ability necessitate that humans have split minds, with some parts of the mind knowing things that other parts do not know? Further, how could deceiving oneself as to the truth be evolutionarily beneficial (Hippel & Trivers (2011); Trivers, 2000; Van Leeuwen 2007)?
Trivers (2000) and von Hippel & Trivers (2011) argue that there are indeed parts of the mind that are conscious to differing degrees, such as explicit and implicit memory systems, explicit and implicit attitudes, and automatic vs. controlled processes. They offer several possible evolutionarily based explanations for the existence of self-deception, the primary one being that an unknowing liar cannot betray that he or she is lying to someone else because he or she will not exhibit common tells to deception such as sweaty palms and changes in voice quality. Additionally, an unknowing liar would not have any negative emotionality about lying, such as might come up if one were doing so intentionally. That is, self-deception exists so that we can deceive others more easily and engage in acts we would normally feel bad about without experiencing cognitive dissonance (the uncomfortable feeling evoked when one holds two conflicting feelings or beliefs) (von Hippel & Trivers, 2011; Trivers, 2000).
Second, Trivers (2000) asserts that we, as social and moral beings, have a need to see ourselves as benevolent servants to others, and create narratives of our lives that help us believe this to be true. He adopts Freudian defense mechanisms such as denial and projection to explain how we engage in self-deception. In this regard, self-deception allows us to specifically deny the intention of doing something wrong when accused of or otherwise faced with the fact that we have gone against these narratives, such as when caught lying, stealing, or otherwise defecting against somebody else. If a person can truthfully claim ignorance of intent to harm somebody else despite the objective truth that his or her behavior has done so, he or she may lessen both the cognitive dissonance felt and the punishment incurred when confronted with this fact, largely preserving the façade of intentional benevolence to themselves and others (Trivers, 2000).
Finally, von Hippel & Trivers (2011) assert that it may be evolutionarily adaptive to have an overly positive view of the self and the future. Indeed, people do tend to have an overly positive view of themselves (Trivers, 2000). Gilovich (1991) reported that, from a survey of one million high school seniors, 70% thought they had above average leadership ability, with 25% endorsing that they were in the top 1%. In a second survey, 94% of college professors endorsed the belief that they were better at their jobs than average (Gilovich, 1991; Mele, 1997). In a separate study, 75 women and 86 men read an article alleging that caffeine was a danger to women in particular and was associated with breast cancer, and that it should be avoided completely. Subjects then reported how much they believed the article. Unsurprisingly, women who drank more caffeine were more skeptical about the article, while those who drank little caffeine were more likely to be believers (Mele, 1997). The men who were exposed to the article did not differ as much on their belief based on how much caffeine they consumed. Presumably, since the (fake) data did not pertain to them, they were less likely to be biased based on their caffeine consumption (Mele, 1997).
Trivers (2000) also acknowledges that overly positive views of the self and external conditions can also be maladaptive, but considers these situations uncommon. For example, disasters such as plane crashes, spacecraft failures, and poor choices during wars are often facilitated by self-deception. In plane crashes like the crash of Air Florida Flight 90 in 1982, the co-pilot noticed contradictory readings on equipment, but the pilot offered rationalizations for these readings, and the doomed flight took off and subsequently crashed (Trivers, 2000). In another example, NASA knew the Challenger shuttle had defects in essential structures called O-rings and that conditions on launch day were colder than ideal, but the launch went forward despite many members of the ground team (including all 12 O-rings engineers) voting against it. Trivers considered these disasters to be “two-party” and “organizational” self-deception (Trivers, 2000).
Not everyone agrees with the assertion that self-deception is adaptive because it helps us better deceive others. Van Leeuwen (2007) argues that self-deception is not a selected-for adaptation but a byproduct of many other cognitive adaptations, each with their own manifestations of self-deception. First, he believes the manifestations of self-deception are too numerous to be the result of one adaptive module. Second, he points to the obvious fact that self-deception can occur without lying and that lying often occurs without self-deception. Third, he asserts that lying while retaining the truth is more adaptive than self-deception. For example, a person from a nomadic tribe lying about finding food benefits more from lying about it while retaining the truth than deceiving themselves and others that there is no food, even if lying might come with tell-tale signs of deceit, because otherwise they themselves would not be able to go back to the food. Finally, Van Leeuwen contends that it is most often the case that self-deceivers are the only ones that believe in their self-deceptions. For example, a driver who has a high appraisal of themselves but is really a poor driver is not going to fool someone who is their passenger and can readily assess the driver’s abilities themselves.
As to Trivers’ other hypotheses about the adaptive value of self-deception, Van Leeuwen questions how Trivers can account for multiple explanations of why self-deception is adaptive without asserting different evolved mechanisms for each hypothesis. That is, self-deception as a means to better other-deception and self-deception as a means of enhanced positive future orientation would require two different evolved behavioral modules, and cannot be accounted for by one overarching theory (Van Leeuwen, 2007).
Van Leeuwen (2007) asserts that self-deception often arises from general tendencies of wishful thinking, avoiding discomfort, the tendency not to questioning one’s current beliefs, and the awareness that beliefs can become self-fulfilling (and thus a refusal to accept negative beliefs, lest they become true). This is not an exhaustive list and does not necessarily clash with what Trivers asserts as secondary functions of self-deception. Regardless, while Van Leeuwen makes excellent points, Trivers’ hypotheses are currently favored by most psychologists doing research in the field of self-deception (Smith, 2004).

Old 11-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #4630
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Yeah that was hella interesting reprise. And I will be in florida in just over four months from today!
where in fl? i need to meet the esteemed foolofatook!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #4631
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Yeah you better kick it with me before you go though

Old 11-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #4632
Ram27
dumb

come to indiana took. i wanna meet you too

Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #4633
Ram27
dumb

So I thought I got hired back to my old job. Last Friday I went in and filled out tax forms and stuff and thought I got on cool with the manager. Been a week, absolutely no word from them

fuck me

Old 11-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #4634
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Florida summers are pretty rough, if you haven't experienced one before.
I grew up in the Philippines, studied in Socal and spent a Ramadan in Riyadh. I think I will manage.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #4635
FoolofaTook

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
if you will it, it is no dream

once i get over [fulltoked] i'll probably drink less. probably

Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #4636
FoolofaTook

Reprise: Orlando. I wanted to say we should have coffee but I was afraid you didn't want to meet my wildness.

ILP: Fear not! Four months is a long time and Walla Walla is not that far from Wenatchee.

Rambosis: Too bad we didn't connect earlier. I spent 2010-2015 in Berrien County, just north of South Bend. Of course I was mainly in jail and a homeless shelter (plus I had no front teeth and rarely bathed amnd had scabies and was perma blazed) so you probably wouldn't have wanted to meet me then.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #4637
FoolofaTook

(Now I bathe daily and my epidermis is pristine btw).

Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #4638
myosis
Minion of Satan

how's your teeth?

Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #4639
FoolofaTook

Awesome. My parents got me a bridge this summer.

With a perfect smile and shampoo ad model hair I am simply scintillating!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #4640
Elphenor
Braindead

guy in air force uniform jumped my car for me in middle of busy street and offered to follow me to make sure I would make it

Im never sitting down during the national anthem again

Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #4641
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It was probably a recruiter trying to manipulate you into thinking that people in the armed forces aren't 90% psycho.

No offense to your entire family.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #4642
Elphenor
Braindead

I changed the alternator already but now I think it's my voltage regulator man idk it's being whack

it drove fine then I woke up one day battery light is on car stalls when I get off work

then I get it jumped and I go to a parts store get the battery tested it passes 99% charged meaning the alternator is indeed working and the battery itself is fine

I didn't leave any lights on so wtf is killing my battery

Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #4643
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Reprise: Orlando. I wanted to say we should have coffee but I was afraid you didn't want to meet my wildness.

ILP: Fear not! Four months is a long time and Walla Walla is not that far from Wenatchee.

Rambosis: Too bad we didn't connect earlier. I spent 2010-2015 in Berrien County, just north of South Bend. Of course I was mainly in jail and a homeless shelter (plus I had no front teeth and rarely bathed amnd had scabies and was perma blazed) so you probably wouldn't have wanted to meet me then.
that's like 3 hours from me. any way we could meet halfway?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #4644
FoolofaTook

Of course! I will see when I get there, maybe I will come all the way to wherever you are. Are there buses? or trains? My parents won't trust me with their car; I am the world's worst driver heh.
Don't worry I am super tame and polite and subservient in real life.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #4645
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It was probably a recruiter trying to manipulate you into thinking that people in the armed forces aren't 90% psycho.

No offense to your entire family.
That's not too bad. In fact it's 9.9% better than the Seventh-Day Adventist church.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #4646
FoolofaTook

Speaking of the Air Force who is yor guyses favorite Dr. Strangelove character. Mine is General Turgidson. Some of his facial expressions are priceless.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #4647
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Watch out for the Tampa serial killer.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #4648
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Of course! I will see when I get there, maybe I will come all the way to wherever you are. Are there buses? or trains? My parents won't trust me with their car; I am the world's worst driver heh.
Don't worry I am super tame and polite and subservient in real life.
Amtrak (train) goes from Orlando station to my town in 4 1/2 hours and about $85 round-trip. you can prob get by on bus for like $20 one way but it will take forever. with a hotel room we could hang for two days for like $150 travel costs. not that there is a lot to do but i'm sure we could find something. on the other hand i could come to orlando and we could go to the magic kingdom or something

Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #4649
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Speaking of the Air Force who is yor guyses favorite Dr. Strangelove character. Mine is General Turgidson. Some of his facial expressions are priceless.
Mandrake

Old 11-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #4650
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

wtf some sketchy essay writing site published my honors seminar paper (which i've turned into an honors thesis) without consent or attribution!!! what the fuck i'm so mad. i sent copyright notices to them, their ISP, and google. and told my professor of course. i am going to see if he says to send it to the dean. wtf. it looks like i'm plagiarizing. i'm sure my professor will believe me and the date they published it is a year after i submitted it to him. so i'm not worried, he knows it is my work. but what the hell how can anyone think that's okay!!!