Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #121
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

My gigantic size 12 feet will only fit certain womens shoes so I have to buy whatever fits, really. I'm always the last behemoth to the stores so I just get whatever the other bigfoots leave behind.

I wear chuck taylors, thinking about trying some onitsuka or tigers though - because I can always get some in my size.

But for women's shoes, this is what I have.
I bought these on Tuesday, because I was in a rush.
http://cdn3.styletread.com.au/media/...01-20227_1.jpg

Then I went climbing through the bush to look at old gold mining shafts with a friend while I was away, so I completely trashed them. I needed black shoes for choir though, and I think they're still ok for that. I previously had a pair that were basically identical but an earlier model.

I also have a pair of these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...hTdEsI/$_1.JPG
because they have good sales and free postage sometimes, and my kids needed some waterproof slip ons to wear after swimming, so I just chucked them in as well. They are stupidly comfy and I don't think anyone can tell they're crocs. Maybe.

I have some hush puppies ankle boots:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e75d74388f.jpg
Again, the only winter shoes left in the only store that stocked my size, when I went looking.

And there are a handful of Birks that have feminine-esque styles in my size, I'm due for another pair of these:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDI3WDUzMw...VQazn/$_35.JPG

There are all sorts of high heels and knee high boots for women with big feet, but I'm on my feet for most of the day, and never go out anywhere at night anymore, so I need stuff that can go the distance.

For sport, I wear men's asics kayanos, can't go back from these fuckers, they're just so fucking comfortable. I would wear them 24/7 if I could.

It's not easy being a female bigfoot.

My 10 year old son now wears size 10 mens shoes - he has the same size feet as me. He's still a head shorter than me though. :/ Kid's gonna be ginormous. :/

Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #122
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Does anyone here have plantar fasciitis, joint pain, IR band issues, or other lower body problems?

I started having some knee and foot pain after I started running more 3 or 4 years ago. I switched to a minimal shoe with near zero drop from toe to heel, with a wide toebox, to mimic how you walk/stand barefoot. They were the Merrell Bare Access 2 shown here:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/dhkce.kzbxe...s/j42195-4.jpg

I now use them as my lifting shoes due to how flat they are to the ground. I need something with a bit more padding (but still no or minimal arch) for longer bouts of running.

With regular use of this kind of footwear, my lower body issues are nearly nonexistent, I can stand for much longer periods of time at concerts, my running position has improved, etc.

Ever since this switch, if I try to wear most regular shoes, the ridiculously exaggerated arch support grinds into my midfoot, and I get inflammation. And the narrow toe boxes pinch my toes which have splayed out over time.

I'm thinking that for certain people with wide, flat feet, like me, we've been potentially doing ourselves damage by fitting our feet into shoes that stretch our feet unnaturally.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #123
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

those are exactly the kind of shoes i recoil at when i try to find a decent pair of sneakers

Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #124
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
Does anyone here have plantar fasciitis, joint pain, IR band issues, or other lower body problems?....

I'm thinking that for certain people with wide, flat feet, like me, we've been potentially doing ourselves damage by fitting our feet into shoes that stretch our feet unnaturally.
I have very wide feet. Most of my adult life I wore size 11.5 shoes. Last year I got fitted for a pair of running shoes and discovered I should be wearing something like 9, my foot is just so wide it won't fit into any shoe like that unless it's double wide. I experience sciatica from time to time, but I have no idea if that is linked wearing the wrong size shoe. My doctor just told me to stop being so lazy and do some sit ups once in awhile to strengthen my core

my toes are all messed up though from years of squishing them into shoes that are far too narrow. My index toes (?) sort of rest naturally a bit over my big toes

Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #125
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

yeah that sounds abnormal

sorry man

Old 10-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #126
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I have plantar fasciitis, mine came from running as well. I tried some NB nimbuses with a vibram sole, and had some initial success. But after time my heel pain became unbearable. So I've gone back to kayanos and have stopped running. My PF was always in my heels much worse than anywhere else, and I just need lots of padding under there.

I do need a wide toe box though, and so do my kids. It's a pita looking for shoes with wide toe boxes, because most are made pointy, even if they don't look that way initially. My kids have developed my family curse of having a deformed little toe - their smallest toe, like mine, angles outwards and leans inwards at the same time, and kind of tucks into the next toe along.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #127
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i had a bout of plantar fasciitis with both my heels but it improved with some shots and wearing better shoes and not going barefoot AT ALL for 6 months

Old 10-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #128
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Do you even squat, Byron?

http://i.imgur.com/0cDFv3o.jpg

Old 10-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #129
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Is all the padding on the heel good for squatting? I am up to 200 pounds right now. Not much compared to the gym bros but I can still remember 80 pounds being heavy when I started for the first time in my life a couple years ago...

Old 10-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #130
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

hey guys how do i start lifting bro i am very fat and girls don't like me

Old 10-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #131
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i'm going to be forty in like 5.5 years and i am scared of not having someone who loves me by choice by then

Old 10-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #132
noyen
Immortal

Would it be acceptable to take photos of all the actual footwear I own? I kinda want to do that.

I turn 40 in 2 1/2 months ;(

Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #133
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
Is all the padding on the heel good for squatting? I am up to 200 pounds right now. Not much compared to the gym bros but I can still remember 80 pounds being heavy when I started for the first time in my life a couple years ago...
They're suited for all squatting and Olympic lifting, apparently, but I don't know enough about the technicalities of it all to explain exactly why. You could always have a go at squatting with your heels resting on small plates or something similar to see how it feels.

There's a bit of a discussion about it here.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #134
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I take issue with this quote from the article:

"Try them out and see how they feel. It all boils down to the same test. Which footwear can you lift more weight with?"

If you can lift more weight, doesn't necessarily mean you're making yourself stronger. If I can lift 195 with a different pair of shoes but 210 with weightlifting shoes, doesn't that mean I could be working a different set of muscles to be stronger? Obviously it probably depends on the exercise and such. And if you're doing competitions this sounds like a good idea.

That is to say it's a competitive advantage, but if you want to make yourself naturally stronger, the benefit may be nonexistent.

Last edited by Dogfighter28 : 10-09-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #135
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's entirely possible, sure. I couldn't really say, either way, but do find that the extra heel helps a great deal with form.

On the subject of strength-building, though, "German Volume Training" is said to do wonders.