Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #211
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
That's not what I'm saying man. Lord knows there was a ton of shit in the 90's as well... For every exciting act there was 20 Dishwalla's. But from an underground aspect there was tons of pivitol indie acts and records in the 90's. If you liked passionate, aggressive guitar based music the 90's was a goldmine.

Nowadays it's like this shitty ELO like dance rock, poser folk-rock etc... It's all so pretentious and based on status rather than the pure emotion and energy that the artists are trying to achieve. And the reason that music is so "big" is due to how shitty blogs pump it up constantly. These blogs are very influential and they're breaking mostly shit to the masses. It's a shame.
Your assertion that because you don't enjoy something there's no emotion put into it is dumb. Your assertion that people aren't making passionate guitar music is wrong. Again, if you can't find this music, it's your own dumb fucking fault. Why does it bother you so much if people who like EDM listen to EDM and people who like "poser folk-rock" as you call it listen to that?

AND WHY do you continue to talk like an authority on the subject? We've established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #212
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
You are literally the thing you claim to be railing against. The only bands you ever push play verse-chorus-verse college radio alt-rock that only just falls inside the category of "alternative". You love almost exclusively music that is the definition of tepid and mediocre.
This has been one of the best front-to back modern albums in the same kind of energy as the Japandroids but none of the big blogs would touch it... and that's the problem. They're definitely pushing a very narrow minded narrative... and if it isn't hip or trendy in superficial ways pitchfork won't touch it

Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #213
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

DUDE WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT PITCHFORK, IF YOU LIKE THE BAND GO SEE THEM WHO GIVES A FUCK WHY DOES IT MATTER TO YOU IF A BAND YOU LIKE DOESNT SELL OUT ARENAS BECAUSE APPARENTLY BLOGS WON'T TOUCH THEM.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #214
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Your assertion that because you don't enjoy something there's no emotion put into it is dumb. Your assertion that people aren't making passionate guitar music is wrong. Again, if you can't find this music, it's your own dumb fucking fault. Why does it bother you so much if people who like EDM listen to EDM and people who like "poser folk-rock" as you call it listen to that?

AND WHY do you continue to talk like an authority on the subject? We've established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
whatever man, you can go listen to Mumford and Sons and the 20 other current bands doing the same schtick that pitchfork raves about and if you like it that's all that matters. After all, everyones entitled to their own opinion.

I just don't like the trendy, elitist way that those blogs operate.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #215
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Just don't fucking act like some hipster illuminati blogged guitar music out of existence because they hate fun and love posing

Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #216
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
whatever man, you can go listen to Mumford and Sons and the 20 other current bands that pitchfork raves about and if you like that's all that matters. After all, everyones entitled to their own opinion.

I just don't like the trendy, elitist way that those blogs operate.
Dude, it's literally the same thing as Rolling Stone was, just the decade has changed. It's the same as any fucking music publication throughout history, just you're alive to see it happen.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #217
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Here's a theory: you don't like the music pitchfork likes, so you shouldn't read it.

Notice how this theory doesn't involve everybody who doesn't like the same things as you being part of an elaborate competition to see who can pretend to enjoy the most unenjoyable music? Notice how this theory, it doesn't treat everyone who disagrees with you as though their tastes are invalid? Notice how it doesn't construct a massive cultural conspiracy that conveniently elevates you to the status of Last Guardian Of Real Rock Music?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #218
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
DUDE WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT PITCHFORK, IF YOU LIKE THE BAND GO SEE THEM WHO GIVES A FUCK WHY DOES IT MATTER TO YOU IF A BAND YOU LIKE DOESNT SELL OUT ARENAS BECAUSE APPARENTLY BLOGS WON'T TOUCH THEM.
Because it and blogs like it are the go to places for legions of music fans to try and find music worth hearing world wide and they follow it like sheep cause it's in style and none of the new acts they break ever have any lasting-power.

It's much too often style over substance... I consider these big "indie-rock" bands to be of the equivalency to the peak of hair-metal.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #219
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

so what you're trying to tell me is that all these people just like whatever music they are told to like by blogs rather than the music they enjoy because...?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #220
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

How do you not see how that narrative is infantile and arrogant? Music has for the most part changed since you were in high school, and you're upset about that, so you have to accuse people who enjoy music now of suffering through things they don't like in order to look cool rather than accept that maybe they legitimately enjoy the music they listen to.

That is so. Fucking. Childish.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #221
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Dude, it's literally the same thing as Rolling Stone was, just the decade has changed. It's the same as any fucking music publication throughout history, just you're alive to see it happen.
Isn't that the problem? Aren't these "blogs" supposed to operate outside of all that corporate bullshit? That's at least what most hipsters will tell you... That pitchforks organic and simply people sharing the music that THEY like the most.

If they ditched that whole charade I'd be more cool with them... But its all posturing and trendy bullshit. I feel bad that you rely on them as a source to provide you with music worth hearing.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #222
Shallowed
Braindead

Why does it matter so fucking much to you if other people listen to or like something, before you decide if you like it or not yourself?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #223
slunken
Virgo

i'm kind of an old fuddy-duddy. i don't have the time or desire to read music blogs or news sites and sample a bunch of bands. the only new stuff i hear is because it's released on a label i already follow, or an artist i already know mentions it. there has to be some connection to something that i already enjoy. for better or for worse, i just let music fall into my lap these days.

i too had to make a conscious decision to get back into "guitar-based" music because after a while i realized i practically didn't own many new records like that. i just let it happen and don't try to control it. i'm old and lazy and i just don't care. but i don't go looking for someone or something to blame.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #224
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
so what you're trying to tell me is that all these people just like whatever music they are told to like by blogs rather than the music they enjoy because...?
Sadly, that's generally how a lot of music fans act. Feels good for them to be in on the big hot thing

I don't get it, and this is a discussion for a whole other topic... but I meet people and talk music and I mention that my fave band is SP and they chuckle and say " yeah I had all of their CD's like 20 years ago" and I go oh, so you're a fan? And it's all "No I haven't listened to them probably in nearly 20 years"... So all of these SP fans at the time seemingly have no interest in the music later on in life... I don't think it's cause they "evolved" I think it's because they're not cool anymore.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #225
slunken
Virgo

my only point of contention with reading blogs and keeping up to date with new music stuff is that, for me, the end game is just spending more money. i'm basically browsing advertisements and i just don't like to do that.

i shudder to think of the hours i've spent in the past downloading albums and manicuring an ipod.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #226
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
If they ditched that whole charade I'd be more cool with them... But its all posturing and trendy bullshit. I feel bad that you rely on them as a source to provide you with music worth hearing.
What makes you think that that's the case? I follow 10-15 different blogs (incl but not limited to - P4k, The Quietus, Brooklyn Vegan, Metalsucks, Resident Advisor, STYLSS, Decibel, Acid Stags, Do Androids Dance) plus somewhere in the vicinity of 200-300 different record labels, artists and critics on Twitter, plus a number of facebook discussion groups where likeminded people share obscure stuff they enjoy.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #227
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Sadly, that's generally how a lot of music fans act. Feels good for them to be in on the big hot thing

If you sincerely believe the reason that we don't live in a world where NOFX and bands like NOFX aren't selling out arenas twenty years after they started is because everybody but you would rather feel cool than listen to music they genuinely like, I am done with this argument because that is phenomenally stupid even by your standards.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #228
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
What makes you think that that's the case? I follow 10-15 different blogs (incl but not limited to - P4k, The Quietus, Brooklyn Vegan, Metalsucks, Resident Advisor, STYLSS, Decibel, Acid Stags, Do Androids Dance) plus somewhere in the vicinity of 200-300 different record labels, artists and critics on Twitter, plus a number of facebook discussion groups where likeminded people share obscure stuff they enjoy.
i follow the quietus on twitter and even i think they tweet too much. self-titled mag is good too.

but seriously, doesn't this fill your feed with non-stop advertisements? i mean - i read some great articles from those two but sometimes i'm just like "please stop with the constancy"

200-300 record labels? christ almighty...

Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #229
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Why does it matter so fucking much to you if other people listen to or like something, before you decide if you like it or not yourself?
What can I say, I'm a passionate purest

Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #230
slunken
Virgo

for the record, i'm not trying to defend one stance or the other, i would just like to be a 3rd party (devil's advocate) to this 2-person argument that's going on.

the truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle

its kind of funny how smashing pumpkins fans try to convince each other that they DONT listen to shitty music. i see a lot of energy going into that. it's just music. billy did not teach us well. as if we have to believe our music is morally superior to other kinds of music.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #231
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i follow the quietus on twitter and even i think they tweet too much. self-titled mag is good too.

but seriously, doesn't this fill your feed with non-stop advertisements? i mean - i read some great articles from those two but sometimes i'm just like "please stop with the constancy"

200-300 record labels? christ almighty...
I don't follow most blogs on twitter, because usually they're reposting articles I see on their homepage anyway. that 200-300 number accounts for labels, artists (this makes up a big chunk), individual journalists in the field (Kim Kelly etc), and other miscellaneous music-related twitter accounts that post recommendations, new bands etc. Probably 40 or 50 are labels - i'll follow any local or Australian indie label I see and I do overseas ones if they've put out even one band i dig.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #232
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
If you sincerely believe the reason that we don't live in a world where NOFX and bands like NOFX aren't selling out arenas twenty years after they started is because everybody but you would rather feel cool than listen to music they genuinely like, I am done with this argument because that is phenomenally stupid even by your standards.
nah not saying that all man... I just think the bloggers and social media are what make bands now a days. It's a new age man. And it's shitty that these fools have such an influence. It is what it is I guess.

Think of this: Would Mumford and Sons be the most popular current band if it wasn't for the internet masturbation fest around them? The internet whack-job surrounding them is definitely what broke them. Do you think that their music is just so great that the public would come around regardless because it's just that exceptional?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #233
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
What can I say, I'm a passionate purest
purist*

and that's not an answer to the question. If you're a purist, why does that make you care about other people's behaviours?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #234
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Do you seriously believe that Mumford and Songs is the most popular band in the world right now?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #235
slunken
Virgo

i've been wanting to get a ukulele for around the house but i don't want to get lumped into the bad news that people have created for the instrument

isn't that kind of fucked up

Old 09-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #236
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I'm not disputing that music press can push a band into success. What i'm disputing is the idea that people are listening to music they don't actually enjoy in order to be cool.

Clearly a lot of people DO love Mumford and Sons. I don't. You don't. But you know what? That doesn't invalidate those people enjoying that music. That you're so immature that you have do demote someone else's enjoyment of a thing to validate yourself is just really fucking sad man.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #237
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
i've been wanting to get a ukulele for around the house but i don't want to get lumped into the bad news that people have created for the instrument

isn't that kind of fucked up
man do it, it's good for your guitar technique if nothing else. Plus you can get em for like 40 bucks. I hardly play mine anymore but I like it.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #238
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
the only new stuff i hear is because it's released on a label i already follow, or an artist i already know mentions it. there has to be some connection to something that i already enjoy. for better or for worse, i just let music fall into my lap these days.
I'm pretty much the same way. That or seeing an opening act on tour.

It's just a shame though because even if you do come across a band putting out great shit they're likely not making close to enough to live off of because they're getting no publicity at all and it's like a sorority to get into.

That American Steel album I posted in this thread earlier is my favorite album I've heard in a long time and I only listened to it cause Fat Mike was going on about how great it was and how it only sold a few dozen on his label. and it's like, yeah if you dont like it don't read it... But theres tons of bands that really NEED the publicity.. that's what sort of pisses me off.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #239
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that Mumford and Songs is the most popular band in the world right now?
"current" is the key word. What other new band is bigger?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #240
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Clearly a lot of people DO love Mumford and Sons. I don't. You don't. But you know what? That doesn't invalidate those people enjoying that music. That you're so immature that you have do demote someone else's enjoyment of a thing to validate yourself is just really fucking sad man.
Yeah and A lot of people loved Air Supply... I think of those people as the "music fans who don't actually like music"... They just buy the cd to pop into their SUV's on their travels and that sorta thing.