Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #61
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

chickpeas are a wonderful legume

Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #62
buzzard
Minion of Satan

They charge an arm and a leg for tahini, 'round these here parts. It saddens me to make hummus without it.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #63
noyen
Immortal

fart lovers

Old 10-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #64
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
They charge an arm and a leg for tahini, 'round these here parts. It saddens me to make hummus without it.
whaaat? are you back in Argentina?

Old 10-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #65
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I'm talking about Aotearoa! Last time we did hummus, we just bought the sesame seeds and made the tahini ourselves.

Not that it was ever particularly cheap over there, either.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #66
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I guess I am exaggerating quite a bit, but $8.50NZD for 300g still isn't that reasonable.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:26 AM   #67
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Yeah, it's definitely not cheap...but it usually lasts through a few batches because you only use like 2 tbsp per batch? Unless you're going super Persian styles or something...

Old 10-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #68
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I am generous in all things.

Such as in dicing up an entire head of garlic and simmering it in the olive oil that's to be added.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:02 AM   #69
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

wasteful, generous, tomaito, tomato

Old 10-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #70
vixnix
Socialphobic

I used to add 1/4 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander to the oil with the garlic, and then 1 cup fresh coriander leaves & stalks and blitz with lemon juice from 1 lemon, 1 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp tahini.

I used to just roast the garlic head whole though because it was way easier just to squeeze the roasted cloves out. nom nom

Old 10-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #71
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I am a little more wasteful in my own approach, though I'm yet to try incorporating coriander. Lucky for me that the unreasonable quantities of these valuable resources that I squander so carelessly have the bizarre effect of making my hummus taste exactly how I like it, leading to my household consuming the entire batch in short order.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:24 AM   #72
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Last time we did this, my maldita sudaca insisted that all the chickpeas be individually freed of their shells or whatever those things are called. Their cicada husk equivalent, you know.

It took a while, but the resulting texture was more than worth the effort and I don't know if I could accept any less, now.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #73
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

a lot of them slip right off if you allow the peas to soak overnight. and during the boiling phase they float to the surface.

i read the soaking (and changing of the water at least once) helps with farting, too.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #74
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It's a seed coat. It protects the endosperm (tasty insides we like to eat) & other insides of the seed.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #75
yo soy el mejor

oh really? i did not know that.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #76
yo soy el mejor

ah man. goat cheese is great. i never had it growing up but i made up for that since.

my best friend and i would buy goat cheese, chives, bacon, and phyllo dough when we'd hang out. we'd use the ingredients to bake goat cheese balls (even tying up the dough with strands of chives). i still crave those.

the other day i made a meal with goat cheese and the rest i creamed with chopped spinach and green olives and cracker pepper to make a spread for a toasted baguette with olive oil, but i never got around to buying any bread so i used triscuits.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #77
noyen
Immortal

WAS IT FETA OR CHÈVRE??? (before someone else tries to get in some asinine argument)

Old 10-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #78
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
WAS IT FETA OR CHÈVRE??? (before someone else tries to get in some asinine argument)
chèvre is french for goat and i thought feta was a mix of goat cheese and something else.

i do like feta, though. and goat cheese (no crumbly). :s

Old 10-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #79
noyen
Immortal

chèvre is also whats known as goats cheese (no homo crumble.) there's a bunch of different kinds SO THANKS FOR NO HELP, RACIST.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #80
vixnix
Socialphobic

The first time I ate chèvre I had to work very hard not to vomit it onto the floor. I hate goat's milk and goat's milk cheese. I actually stomach sheep's milk cheeses better than goat's milk cheeses. I think it's because I grew up in New Zealand and ate a lot of sheep meat as a child, so the taste is familiar to me, whereas goat is completely foreign so my body just rejects it as non-food.

I've been working on forcing myself to accept it for years. For about the last 15 years. Sometimes when I eat soft cheeses I still taste chèvre now and it makes me want to barf all over again

Goat's milk feta is easier to eat but that's because it's always mashed up with herbs and garlic when I eat it.

Euuggh. FUcking goats and their goaty taste.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #81
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
oh really? i did not know that.
Ya. Rats don't like it... So my boys shell beans, peas, chickpeas etc. before they eat them.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #82
yo soy el mejor

actually, bonnie. i think we all knew what a seed coat is, but thank you. and they also function as shells, which is what other people sometimes call them.

you're starting to sound like jonathan lipnicky in jerry mcguire.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #83
vixnix
Socialphobic

I skin my chickpeas if I can be bothered. The first time I did it, I shelled so many that I blistered my thumb and forefinger so I'm kinda wary of it. It's definitely a smoother result...but some people like it coarse. I don't mind either way.