Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #1111
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i fyo ur not a realfa nthan why are you. even hear?!?

Old 09-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #1112
Cool As Ice Cream

james iha's family has been kidnapped he has no choice he has to do what they ask him

Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #1113
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
james iha's family has been kidnapped he has no choice he has to do what they ask him
Come into the studio once in a while, nod your head, maybe play some guitar or whatever or don't whatever it's cool... OR ELSE!

Old 09-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #1114
Cool As Ice Cream

exactly
it'd be cool if people weren't making assumptions left and right without knowing what is actually going on!
IVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS
SP CAMP IS PISED OF

Old 09-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #1115
Cool As Ice Cream

ALBUM IS CANCLED
SORRY NOT SORRY in a can

Old 09-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #1116
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Come into the studio once in a while, nod your head, maybe play some guitar or whatever or don't whatever it's cool... OR ELSE!
Like the good old days

Old 09-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #1117
Green Eyes
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Sry took a heavy pull from the bong before
Your English is bad enough without drugs man.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #1118
Cool As Ice Cream

who is this drugs man your talking about?

Old 09-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #1119
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

The one pulling

Old 09-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #1120
pinetree
Ownz

wpc on ig advertising chloe's "faux fur" coat... something like 800 dollars. idk i got a nice coat at burlington for 50 bucks. wonder how many cats could be saved with 750 bucks

Old 09-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #1121
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

People tell me it was a tremendous archive release, the best. But now it just sits in a can on the shelf.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #1122
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Not sure where to post this

Screenshot-20200929-001554

Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #1123
Ram27
dumb

had that shit ready 6 fucking years ago...

Old 09-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #1124
tweedyburd
Ownz

Welp, guess the reissue won't be one of the countdown marks. Gah... how many "in progress" updates does this have to get before it's actually pressed.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #1125
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Why is no one mentioning HMM German Dub Mix?
Or In My Body with vocals up?

Old 09-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #1126
Ram27
dumb

cause they're kinda shitty songs we've already heard multiple versions of anyway

Old 09-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #1127
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

What's a baked tape?

Old 09-29-2020, 12:12 AM   #1128
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Woah woah hold up there Ram, In My Body is top tier SP.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:53 AM   #1129
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I might have to cut you for that one

Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 AM   #1130
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

You might ask what baking a tape is all about. First off, good question. To explain baking, we must first uncover a bit of dark history in the recording industry. Magnetic tape used in recording media, be it video or audio, analogue or digital, is made of three basic components. There’s the base which is usually polyester which is an artificia lplastic but sometimes it can also be cellulose triacetate which is the same organic plastic used in photographic film or even paper. There is also some kind of magnetic material such as ferricoxide (normal rust), chromium dioxide, fersoferric oxide(magnetite) and many others. This magnetic material has to be held onto the base with some kind of binder or glue. There is also usually some kind of lubricant on the tape to help things move along but more on that later. In the late 70’s, it was determined that using polyurethane would yield better sonic results than the traditional binder being used until that time.

Polyurethane binder was in theory a good idea. However, there are many different types of complex urethane molecule chains. Longer chains produce a very thick, heavy gum that is essentially useless for making recording media. Short urethane chains were too thin and had a tendency to absorb moisture from the air. Medium chains seem to be the best. The problem is that back then, the only way to figure out the length of the urethane molecule chains was to measure the viscocity, that is, how runny the binder was. Therefore, an even mixture of long chains with short chains will appear to be pure medium chains. Now, until the mid 80’s when the “high pressure gas chromatograph” was invented, they were finally able to determine the true content of the urethane binders being used. Therefore, there was about a decade’s worth of tape that developed what they called “hydrolysis”, AKA "sticky shed syndrome". Most tapes during this period can live about ten years but some went south in a matter of a few days if the binder had purely short urethane chains mixed with long chains and no medium chains.

One can determine what “sticky shed syndrome” means. What actually happens is the short binder chains which had absorbed the moisture separates from the rest of the tape and comes to the surface of the magnetic coating. Even though this newly formed film is only a few molecules thick, the tape gets sticky and it sheds the magnetic material quite easily. Tapes with this condition create quite a mess and there is no cure. Minor hydrolysis will cause the tape transport to be somewhat sluggish and the tape guides and heads will get dirty very quickly. Severe cases will bring the transport to what is literally a screaming halt. The tape can shed the magnetic coating so severely that the audio or video disappears into a wad of brown oblivion. In most cases, transport is difficult and clarity is moderately reduced. Again,there is no cure for tapes with this problem but there is a temporary fix that will allow someone enough time to remix or remaster to a new medium. This fix is called baking.

Baking is, in a sentence, raising the temperature of the medium to a level where the water can evaporate out of the tape composition. Now, since the short molecule chains are still at the surface of the tape, hydrolysis returns very quickly. However, the tape will at least be usable for a short time. The process of baking tape is a very precise and delicate procedure. The tape must be heated to the point where the moisture can evaporate but without damaging the tape. If the tape is overheated, it can warp, the lubricants can break down and in the worse case scenario, the magnetic field of the tape itself can deteriorate or print through to other parts of the tape. There is a very narrow margin in which proper baking can occur. Therefore it is imperative to follow the procedure exactly, otherwise a very valuable piece of history or even a sentimental recording could be lost forever.

The temperature must be maintained between 130 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Any lower and the process will do nothing. Higher than that, and print through (among other things) becomes eminent. It is also very important to ensure that the tape is packed as close to properly as possible to prevent warping (that is, played to the end, tail out). This is not always possible as playing an affected tape will cause further damage. Therefore, a compromise must be made. The temperature must be maintained precisely to ensure the tape will survive the treatment. Conventional ovens can spike 50 degrees or more in a matter of a few seconds so they cannot be used. The tape must be heated in an environment that is relatively free from alternating electromagnetic fields. Using a lightbulb in an insulated box will not be acceptable either as the required proximity to the tape puts the magnetic medium in direct line of fire with the pulsating magnetic radiation of the coiled tungsten filaments. Large convection ovens are a much better alternative but even they are not always reliable enough and the thermometers are still lacking. The temperature must be monitored carefully to prevent spiking. Normal cylindrical food dehydrators are a step in the right direction but they need a bit of modification to work properly.

The time involved in baking tape is much less critical. It still makes a difference and the time varies by the size of the tape itself of course. A Ľ” tape will take between one and four hours to bake depending on how bad it is. ˝” tape should be baked two to five hours. 1” tape will need between three and six hours while 2” should get four to eight hours. The general rule of thumb is to start with the Ľ” time standards and add ˝ an hour for every Ľ” you add to the width. It is recommended to lean toward longer times as shorter times may not be sufficient. Baking for periods longer than the specified increments have negligible negative effect. Tapes should be flipped about every hour of baking until the time has expired. Allow several hours for the tape to return to normal room temperature before restoring them to operation. You may notice some minor crackling sounds when the tape is played. This is usually a minor issue with the urethane at the surface causing the tape to stick slightly to the adjacent surface. It can be hazardous, however when winding at high speed so it is recommended to simply play the tape all the way through once before attempting higher shuttle speeds.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:13 AM   #1131
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

tl;dr they put the tapes under heat for a while because it prevents them from getting permanently fucked up during the transferring process

Old 09-29-2020, 02:52 AM   #1132
Cool As Ice Cream

from rat bastard quinto (march 2009):

Quote:
Hello again,

Welcome to the second Archive Newsletter. I am now entering the third week on the job, and I just want to say that I’m really excited about the project. I want to get into the more technical details about the archive. One of the biggest problems with storing media that is over 20 years old is tape deterioration. One example of this is the Ignoffo Demos. Mark Ignoffo was a studio engineer that worked with the band in 1988-89. The band would record demos at Reel Time Studios and then sell them at shows. The Moon Demo was a demo tape that was sold at shows in 1989 for $5. The songs from this period would include Stars Fall In, Daughter, and Bye June. These songs have been widely bootlegged out, but the quality has been questionable because many of these were sourced from old cassette tapes. The band has the original reels from those recording sessions in the archive. Throughout the years, these tapes have started to deteriorate and flake. Recently, the band has started to rescue these recordings. A technique to rescue tapes that are starting to flake is through baking. The tapes would be placed in an oven, and baked for a specific period of time. This restores the tape so that it can be transferred. In these cases, we often have one chance to transfer the tape before the tape is lost for good. The Ignoffo Demos were baked for 72 hours! Then they ran them through Pro Tools at 24-bit/96kHz, and the outcome was amazing. They sound so much better than the bootlegged versions that fans have. This would definitely be an upgrade if you already have these songs.

The next step is to rescue other tapes and reels that have started to deteriorate. All of the material in the archive is stored in a climate controlled environment in order to preserve them, and slow down the effects of time. Tapes and reels aren’t the only material that we have to carefully monitor. Paper is another concern for us. I’m currently going through and cataloging the band’s posters. I have found some early posters from the Gish era, and there are a few that have started to show their age. A way to combat this is to store them in acid-free polyester Mylar sleeves. The Library of Congress also uses the same types of sleeves for archival storage. I’m creating a system that will catalog and preserve all of the posters and artwork from the band. Eventually this system will include all of the promotional material that I’ve talked about in my recent blog post. I hope this sheds some light on what we’ve been doing. I’ll talk to you all next week!

Frank

Old 09-29-2020, 02:57 AM   #1133
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
In My Body sounds like it belongs on Cyr Disc 1 definitely not top tier

Old 09-29-2020, 03:37 AM   #1134
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Yeah I might have to cut you for that one
oh yeah it's pretty nice. if the new stuff had this level of synth-y stuff but also this amount of real guitar and drum stuff we'd be pretty pleased

got it confused with whyte spieder since i never listen to the back half of m2

Old 09-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #1135
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
In My Body sounds like it belongs on Cyr Disc 1 definitely not top tier
Best machina 2 song along with White Spyder

Old 09-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #1136
Cool As Ice Cream

machina 2 was entirely written by d'arcy. she hasn't received a penny in royalties.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #1137
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

thanks loo as ice cream.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #1138
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
tl;dr they put the tapes under heat for a while because it prevents them from getting permanently fucked up during the transferring process
you mean it's not a euphemism for the roy thomas baker magic touch?

Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #1139
dustrocck
Demi-God

Sorry if stupid question: if they were baked and transferred in 2014, why are they baked and transferred again?

Couldn't he just use the transferred tapes from 2014?

Old 09-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #1140
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
you mean it's not a euphemism for the roy thomas baker magic touch?
I'm not sure if that's baking the tapes so much as burning the lies off of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
Sorry if stupid question: if they were baked and transferred in 2014, why are they baked and transferred again?

Couldn't he just use the transferred tapes from 2014?

I'd like to know this too