Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #721
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

I use a nano big muff because i like to minimize my love for the 90s.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #722
The Omega Concern
Banned

lol. same here. Great pedal, just saw one used at a GC for $44. Almost wished I hadn't gotten one new for like 30 bucks more. I like the user friendliness of it compared to the FF.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #723
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

I've had mine for a few years and have only jiggled the settings a couple of times. I feel like most fuzz pedals in the years to come have only tried to build upon the original muff (but adding little features).

Old 12-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #724
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yeah, so many boutique fuzz builders just make Big Muffs with some extra knobs or less scooped midrange or something. For me, my Tone Wicker Muff is enough for the Muff sound, so I tend to go for fuzzes that are really different from the Muff instead of "Devi Ever's Muff variation #26102."

Old 01-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #725
The Omega Concern
Banned

Interesting simple designs by Devi. I don't think I've heard a demo of any of those pedals as yet. The Brown/LP one looks interesting.

http://fuzzmonster.dk/en/product-cat.../devi-ever-en/

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #726
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I hear Dwarfcraft sold Devi Ever's brand back to her. There was a while where she was essentially making the exact same pedals under the name "Fuzz Goddess," anyway.

Yeah, there are a few Devi pedals I am interested in. The Brown LP is one of them. Also, the Bit: Legend of Fuzz pedal. The Rocket and Truly Beautiful Disaster also look cool.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #727
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
ignorance. that guitar is nothing like a les paul. PRS is a whole different animal
while i agree some PRS's are definitely high end guitars, don't be quick to knock epiphone. i have a es-335 by them (i think it's called Sheraton II) and it really is a fucking great sounding instrument. it definitely isn't built to perfection like high end guitars (frets aren't perfect, general construction and materials aren't as high end), but if you play to get around those limitations, the sound is just as good as any gibson.

i posted a jazzy instrumental guitar track i made with it in my few miserable months in israel. if anybody cares i can reup the link.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #728
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm no guitar expert, but my understanding is that stuff like Epiphone and Mexican Fenders are perfectly fine instruments, and while Gibsons and American Fenders may be better, they probably aren't better enough to justify the thousands of dollars, and it's just rich dads who buy them.

But I don't even have the money for that stuff. Other than the PRS, my only electric guitars were a Fender Squier and a Jay Turser. I've had no problems with either of these, other than the high-e string sometimes getting caught under the fret on the Squier (probably needed to be sanded down or something).

Old 01-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #729
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Near as I can tell, the Turser I have is a complete imitation of a Strat, probably a Squier Strat. But I've never had both at the same time so that I could do a side-by-side comparison. Looks like Jay Turser is a budget-guitar company that mostly makes copies of popular Fender and Gibson/Epiphone guitars (I guess you can't patent or trademark the designs?)

Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #730
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I'm no guitar expert, but my understanding is that stuff like Epiphone and Mexican Fenders are perfectly fine instruments, and while Gibsons and American Fenders may be better, they probably aren't better enough to justify the thousands of dollars, and it's just rich dads who buy them.

But I don't even have the money for that stuff. Other than the PRS, my only electric guitars were a Fender Squier and a Jay Turser. I've had no problems with either of these, other than the high-e string sometimes getting caught under the fret on the Squier (probably needed to be sanded down or something).

George Lynch's main guitar is one he paid $20 for the body of it.

Geddy Lee's #1 bass is a Fender Jazz he got at a pawn shop for $200.

Dave Shramm (yo la tengo) studio and gig stick is a $300 Japanese Tele.

So yah. Tone is in the fingers and there are many overpriced guitars a budget model can get close to with a $14.00 set of Sprague Orange Drop tone capacitors. That fix will get a 3 figure Les Paul Studio much closer to the $5000 reissue of the model.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #731
The Omega Concern
Banned

Well, I really like this guitar and may be getting one later and mod it up a bit, but it's more of a want than a need at this time.

So I doubled down and followed through on what was needed and swapped it out for this:

I'd been researching pedal looper/switchers for a couple months now and was driving myself crazy not pulling the trigger on one of several that were interesting. A lot of nice loopers are built by a company where one main guy was the maker of it and then leaves that co. to start his own, but doesn't have a web-site and you have no idea how to buy his product.

Anyway, I took the plunge on the holy-grail of loopers because Boss's rep for quality builds; they ain't going anywhere as a company and there's a solid warranty attached.

This thing can do anything and turn on/off your kitchen sink faucet if it has midi.

Last edited by The Omega Concern : 01-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #732
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Does anybody know of the smallest, cheapest thing that sends OUT a midi signal that could be hooked into a pedal that accepts midi

Old 01-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #733
The Omega Concern
Banned

This one is in the $120 range

Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #734
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Sorry I was not perfectly clear - i meant something that also generates a midi signal. what are my options? A cheap drum machine?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #735
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

i use a delay that lets you dial BPM and i use it with another pedal (a tremolo effect) that accepts midi but you have to tap tempo it. would be nice to have a little box that let's me digitally dial that pedal in as well.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #736
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

i have some shit keyboards but none do midi.

would rather have something with a super small footprint.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #737
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
i use a delay that lets you dial BPM and i use it with another pedal (a tremolo effect) that accepts midi but you have to tap tempo it. would be nice to have a little box that let's me digitally dial that pedal in as well.

I think this might work for ya...$60'ish range

Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #738
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
I think this might work for ya...$60'ish range

i see what you're getting at but that doesn't let me dial in an exact tempo. the pedal i want to control already has a tap feature. it just gets tricky sometimes using it in conjunction with a digital delay that lets you dial in the exact BPM/ms.

i'm mujst not be explaining myself well.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #739
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

Quote:
Slightly embarrassing that it turns out that Tremonti is the guy from Creed, but whatever. It's just a name they slapped on there. So long as I don't play Creed covers, I'll be fine. But I guess it's just another reason to not dig the headstock.

I've always been interested in the Fuzz Factory. Though now that I have the Wolf Computer, even though it's different from a Fuzz Factory (seems to be more based on the zippy Fuzz Face circuit, rather than the woolly Fuzz Factory one), I feel like I don't need a Fuzz Factory any longer. I dunno, I'm a fuzz freak, so I have enough that most of my bases are covered and there are only one or two more that I'm looking at.

That Diamond compressor... it seems like almost every band I see one opts for this brand of compressor, especially the bassists. I've always wondered why, because it's expensive as hell, IMO. Is it significantly different from other cheaper compressors? Why does it seem like this one is the standard one?
I'm now using the Fuzz Factory as my main dirt pedal in my band. Really love it.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #740
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
i see what you're getting at but that doesn't let me dial in an exact tempo. the pedal i want to control already has a tap feature. it just gets tricky sometimes using it in conjunction with a digital delay that lets you dial in the exact BPM/ms.

i'm must not be explaining myself well.

ahhh...i get it now. not sure if anyone makes a small footprint standalone type though. I presume it would need some type of interface to control and see the exact bpm's?

midi is tricky but worth it if you can get it going.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #741
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

for sure. always looking for something that might do it.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #742
The Omega Concern
Banned

Here ya go, but not exactly cheap.

$209

$220

Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #743
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

yea for that kind of money i could buy a real thing

Old 01-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #744
The Omega Concern
Banned

zactly...that's where I was at the last two months with the loopers.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #745
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Recently received my Fuzzhugger(fx) Sonic Shroom. A pretty cool fuzz. Self-oscillates, but is still really playable because the oscillations fade when there's a signal. The controls are kinda unorthodox, they are really interactive with each other instead of being independent, and they don't have quite the same functions as a typical fuzz pedal's knob.

Between that and all my other fuzzes, I think my fuzz craving is finally satiated. There is some chance that I may check out some Devi Ever pedals somewhere down the line, but they aren't "must-gets." I'm pretty stoked with the palette I've got already.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #746
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Aw shit, I can't wait to see what the Sonic Shroom and Wolf Computer sound like together. I contemplated ordering a custom pedal from Fuzzhugger that would combine the Velcrobot (another zippy, fuzz-facey fuzz) and Sonic Shroom (all the ilovefuzz.com folks were really urging me to do it, too), but then I thought, eh, the Velcrobot is cool and all, but what I think I wanted the Wolf Computer more.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #747
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Recently received my Fuzzhugger(fx) Sonic Shroom. A pretty cool fuzz. Self-oscillates, but is still really playable because the oscillations fade when there's a signal. The controls are kinda unorthodox, they are really interactive with each other instead of being independent, and they don't have quite the same functions as a typical fuzz pedal's knob.

Between that and all my other fuzzes, I think my fuzz craving is finally satiated. There is some chance that I may check out some Devi Ever pedals somewhere down the line, but they aren't "must-gets." I'm pretty stoked with the palette I've got already.

Fades when there's a signal? interesting, sort of like a dynamic delay that kicks in when you stop playing. I'd like to combine those two.

Don't know if this stuff would be redundant for you, or you may already know of JPTR fx, but they are also very interesting. If I didn't already have enough delay's, I'd be all over the dual one this guy makes. The Super Weirdo Fuzz may be down your alley?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #748
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Just picked up one of these!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #749
The Omega Concern
Banned

ohhhh man...i'm jealous, you're stoked.

friend of mine kinda talked me out of one because for recordings we have a Roland XV-88 at our disposal, so it's not really needed. But I still want a Mel-9 on the pedalboard regardless.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #750
he/she/it
Ownz

I've just bought myself this Digitech Valve FX guitar preamp.

I paid a little on the high side for it, along with a foot controller, but this is apparently a very good condition one, with, hopefully, the latest firmware, and an LCD screen upgrade that Digitech offered - which is a big plus, because with some of these, the original blue LCD becomes faded over time, and harder to read.

I'm going to make a 2nd, smaller rig with this, that I'm thinking I'll use for playing live (which I want to actually start doing).

As I think can be heard in this demo vid, this preamp is at the centre of some of Machina's heavy guitar sounds (eg. Imploding Voice).

The Valve FX was also a part of BC's Machina tour rig. There are a whopping 5 of them in this setup:

Aside from the LCD screen fading with age, another issue these preamps seem to have is specific to the European versions, and it again affects the LCD screen, though it is apparently caused by voltage routing, for the sake of adapting the USA model to European voltage level:

http://www2.digitech.com/soundcomm/g..._id=1022050967

Quote:
When the unit powers up - voltage runs through the front LCD display and onto the main CPU, hitting the eeprom along the way. This screws the memory after a while hence a factory reset would be the only way to get back to base with the unit. I asked Digitech (US) if they had a solution to this along time before talking to Arbiter - the US had not come across this problem - the main reason for this is because the power up design would not affect the US user since they only run on 110v. They just inserted a voltage switch when the unit was shipped to Europe - I don't know where you guys are based but this could also be your problem.

Anyway, a great guy at Arbiter replaced the front LCD blue boot display for another green display and it now works fine. Looks a little like a GSP 21 Legend from a distance but who cares!

As for the RPedit program - I have the last revision if you can't get hold of it. Let me know, I check these pages every couple of weeks.
BTW, while looking for a used unit to purchase, I also found this one that's going for cheap ($90 USD) on Craigslist, though its screen is reportedly largely faded - but the device is otherwise functional. If it's possible to source a replacement LCD, then it'd be a sweet deal for someone: https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/6001596016.html

Last edited by he/she/it : 02-16-2017 at 02:49 AM.