Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-07-2020, 02:25 AM   #91
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

True.

Billy: “my favorite soup is the split pea soup. No one ordered it? Then we will no longer have ANY soups on the menu”. Or, “I’m announcing an announcement! next month we are going to serve rotisserie chicken.” Then Next month comes and no rotisserie chicken. Or, “every one keeps asking about the grilled cheese sandwich. Why can’t they ever ask me about the tuna melt? Zombies!” Or, “James had nothing to do with the grilled cheese sandwiches why does everyone keep asking -it was all me”.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:21 AM   #92
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
True.

Billy: “my favorite soup is the split pea soup. No one ordered it? Then we will no longer have ANY soups on the menu”. Or, “I’m announcing an announcement! next month we are going to serve rotisserie chicken.” Then Next month comes and no rotisserie chicken. Or, “every one keeps asking about the grilled cheese sandwich. Why can’t they ever ask me about the tuna melt? Zombies!” Or, “James had nothing to do with the grilled cheese sandwiches why does everyone keep asking -it was all me”.
"I made the best grilled cheese sandwich ever, everyone who tasted it said so, and it's just sitting there".

Old 09-07-2020, 03:27 AM   #93
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Exactly. To run out of food and then closing it is the best promotion.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #94
phang
Ownz

Brian, can you grab me another dog?

Old 09-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #95
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Nobody thinks I made a three star vegan grilled cheese, nobody

Old 09-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #96
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

“Hi I was here last week and the grilled cheese was delicious so I’d like another one please.”
“I just made a tuna salad sandwich and people tell me it’s great, the best they’ve ever had “.
Hands me a tuna salad sandwich.
“I wanted grilled chee....”
“Fuck you, if you want something you’ve had before you’re in the wrong tea shop. Everyone wants grilled cheese part 2, but tuna salad is what the kids eat now. So eat it and stop complaining!”
I take a bite. There’s no mayonnaise.
“That’s the way everyone makes tuna salad now. Personally I don’t think it’s the be all and end all but my friend Rick Rubin says all the hit sandwich’s are made without mayo.”
“But I like mayonnaise....”
Plays Run2Me

The end.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #97
Ram27
dumb

must spread rep +++++++++

Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 AM   #98
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I preferred Zuzu's 1.0. In Zuzu's 2.0, the vegan mayo wobbles too much... and it is too high in the salad mix...

Plus that girl who used to work there is gone - she wasn't a great chef but she looked cool and customers liked her. There's just some English guy working in her place now.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #99
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

living in the pass

Old 09-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #100
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I preferred Zuzu's 1.0. In Zuzu's 2.0, the vegan mayo wobbles too much... and it is too high in the salad mix...

Plus that girl who used to work there is gone - she wasn't a great chef but she looked cool and customers liked her. There's just some English guy working in her place now.
that one waiter i miss from zuzu's 1.0 is back now - he was so witty and added such a cool vibe to the place. but billy fired him saying he was worthless. brought him back now, i suppose cause so many of us miss him - but he's barely getting any shifts

Old 09-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #101
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

The day after the 2016 show where James joined for SD songs a friend wanted to go to 1.0 and I said ok. Didn't really feel like leaving the city but they had a car. It was cool seeing a vinyl box set of The Aeroplane Flies High (don't remember how much it going for, around 150 dead presidents) and the pizza place down the street was pretty good.

Edit: pretty sure it was this place https://pieropizza.pdqonlineordering.com/Titlepage.aspx

Last edited by MplsTaper : 09-09-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:38 AM   #102
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

Madame ZuZu's online shop revived -without the 200 left vinyl boxes of Siddhartha:

But we get a heart of a vase and Major Tom...

Old 09-12-2020, 02:17 AM   #103
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

The guy in the Zuzus t shirt looks edgy with all his tattoos. Had he not had tattoos I would have thought less of the shirt, but now, it lends a certain air of coolness, nay, suaveness, to it.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:22 AM   #104
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

The lady in the apron however looks like a gold digger, someone who, while younger, goes after crotchety old rich white men who have an ego issue, a narcissistic personality perhaps, depressed and melancholic, who relentlessly does the opposite of what people want just to scorn them, and who routinely fails to complete tasks that were promised, yet keeps making announcements of announcements.

Just my take if I was to psychoanalize the imaging presented in their marketing. It’s all about the image the stylist and marketing department wants to portray, but it’s fun to anthropomorphise the generic stock photo images, I’m sure.

The silver mug is cool though.

And the cat lamp looks possessed.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #105
slunken
Virgo

AIRPLANE MODE MEANS NOTHING TO ME

Old 09-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #106
phang
Ownz

You think you can make tea better than Jack Bates?

Old 09-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #107
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #108
s0ss
Demi-God

how long until Billy is Me Too'd?

Old 09-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #109
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oof

Last edited by houseofglass11 : 01-07-2024 at 05:09 AM.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #110
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

History repeating itself:

https://chicago.eater.com/2012/9/7/6...-zuzus-sept-13

CHICAGO RESTAURANT OPENINGS
Billy Corgan Opening Madame ZuZu's Sept. 13
by*Ari Bendersky**Sep 7, 2012

While*he had hoped to open*his suburban tea house in the spring and then again in early summer, even*Billy Corgan*couldn't avoid construction issues. But now that it's moving into fall, the*Smashing Pumpkins' rocker is finally ready to open the doors to*Madame ZuZu's*next Thursday, Sept. 13.
Corgan told Eater that he's "relieved" the 1930s-style 30-seat Chinese tea house, set inside the former U.S. Post Office station in the Ravinia neighborhood, is finally opening. Back in December, Corgan told Eater that he wanted to create a cool space for 30- and 40-somethings to gather and exchange ideas. But now, he said, they're getting incredible response from the neighborhood. "It's so much better than I could have hoped for," Corgan said. "It's people of all ages, even seven year olds are telling me they want to come to the tea shop."
The space was completely renovated and now features a long dark wood bar, black-and-white flooring, metal plating on the ceiling, red walls, deco lighting and a piano. He previously mentioned they'll open up the space for people to display art, host talks, do live performances and more, but they're focusing on getting the tea side of the business up and running first.
"We didn't want to try and do too much too fast," he said. "We want to focus on the quality of the experience instead of having a three-ring circus all at once. Once we open [things] up, we won't have any shortage of people who will want to play or show their art."
On the menu, Madame ZuZu's will have a rotating roster of about 12 different types of loose leaf tea from all over the world, including Morocco, Japan, China and India. They'll likely always have three types each of green, white and black and some other flavors, according to*Sharon Mackin-Norberg, Corgan's partner in the tea shop who also owns*Ravinia Wine Shop*across the street.
Mackin-Norberg added they'll have pour-over coffee from*Intelligentsia*and a rotating selection of vegan desserts, like pies, tortes and cookies, from Highwood's*Bent Fork Bakery. They won't serve alcohol (you'll have to pop across the street for wine), but they will have Wi-Fi. Madame Zuzu's will be open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and until 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. They're still setting Sunday's hours, but likely from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
As a special opening day treat next Thursday, Corgan will do some acoustic sets. The performances will be very casual and he isn't scheduling any set times—so if you're a diehard Corgan or Pumpkins fan, you may have to camp out and drink a lot of tea. Isn't that what the space is for anyway?

Madame ZuZu's
582 Roger Williams Ave., Highland Park, IL

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/9/11/...hicago-suburbs

CHICAGO RESTAURANT OPENINGS
The Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan and Partner Chloe Mendel Revive Their Vegan Tea Shop
Madame ZuZu’s is back in suburban Chicago with a vegan menu

by*Ashok Selvam@Shokdiesel**Sep 11, 2020

Madame ZuZu’s, the tea shop from*suburban Chicago’s very own Billy Corgan, is back after a two-year slumber. The Smashing Pumpkins frontman, along with partner and fashion designer Chloe Mendel, have revived the tea shop at a new North Shore location. The new Madame ZuZu’s is open at 1876 First Street in Highland Park.
The shop will brew drinks from Rare Tea Cellar, the Ravenswood gourmet vendor that supplies teas to some of Chicago’s best restaurants. The teas compliment a largely gluten-free vegan menu with salads, bowls, and “over-the-top” grilled “cheese” sandwiches. ZuZu’s is using its own vegan cheese made with coconut oil, which Mendel says is superior because it lacks the synthetic taste that plagues other vegan cheese substitutes. Pastries and breads are made on premises, as are condiments like vegan mayonnaise and pickled veggies.
“Our goal is to bring good, quality food to Highland Park,” says Mendel. “We want to be involved in the community.”

Corgan and Mendel closed the original iteration of*Madame ZuZu’s in 2018*after a six-year run. At the time Corgan said business was strong, but they wanted a change. Mendel says the original tea shop was tiny. Even though they had room for live events, like comedy nights — Corgan even*played concerts on occasion*— the new space is larger. These events aren’t permitted during the pandemic, but Mendel is hopeful the teahouse could host them in the future.
As far as the timing of the opening, Mendel says she feels healthy food is important during the pandemic. Stay at home left people susceptible to poor habits. Now more than ever, Mendel wants to give Highland Park healthy choices, something residents can be happy about despite the chaos left by this public health crisis.
The teas rotate seasonally, and on occasion they’ll pour a special selection from Rare Tea Cellar’s vault. Some of those teas of a certain vintage or barrel-aged selections, are pricey. They’re rarely sold at shops. For example a quarter pound of 2012 Emperor’s Aged Keemun aged in oak barrels costs $60 online. Those types of teas will be the most expensive item sold at Madame Zuzu’s. Rare Tea Cellar is the company from Highland Park native Roderick Markus, a respected figure in Chicago’s culinary world. Markus is known for tracking down gourmet ingredients for chefs such as rare truffles and oils or vinegars.

But beyond those unique teas, Mendel says she wants to keep prices affordable. She adds that says she wants the new Madame ZuZu’s to be a place where non-vegan customers come to enjoy vegan food, with dishes like a meatball sub made with Impossible ground “meat.”

The cafe opened over Labor Day weekend for carryout and outdoor dining, Mendel says. Corgan and Mendel also hope to add retail space with items like tea ware, records, and hand-dipped incense.

Madame ZuZu’s, 1876 First Street in Highland Park, Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.

Billy Corgan and Chloe Mandel at their new tea shop. Madame Zuzu’s [Official Photo]

Old 09-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #111
s0ss
Demi-God

what a weird life rich people live. it's like they want to be normal people who work minimum wage jobs instead of being born into wealth and living life on easy mode.

fucking weird man.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #112
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oof

Last edited by houseofglass11 : 01-07-2024 at 05:09 AM.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #113
Ram27
dumb

holy shit you're right

i know for SD he talked about feeling really fucked up about having a $1 million advance and felt super pressured, cause now he had something to lose

but now he has so much it's meaningless. he can put out all the shitty records he wants and he'll still get Bullet royalties

Old 09-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #114
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Too young to die, too rich to care.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #115
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy looking really happy to be there

Old 09-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #116
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy is like 55 years older than her right?

Last edited by enthusaroo : 09-14-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #117
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

what is billy even going for taking a photo like that

it's aura of "you better get my daughter home on time"

Old 09-14-2020, 12:34 AM   #118
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
what is billy even going for taking a photo like that

it's aura of "you better get my daughter home on time"
It looks like the set and cast of a Jordan Peele thriller

Old 09-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #119
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
"you better get my great-granddaughter home on time"
fixed

Old 09-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #120
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Billy is like 55 years older than her right?
anyone want to take bets on when Billy will be metoo'd?