Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Maybe we are too hard on Billy

When it comes down to it at the end of the day, he's just a blue-collar guy who tapped into the right movement at the right time. He had a lot of passion and inspiration and made some awesome music for a good 5 years, now ever since he's been living in the shadow of that success.

I realize that we hold him in high regard, so we find it justifiable to share our opinions on his artistic output. But at the end of the day, he's just a small town guy, going on with his life and it's gotta be off putting to have a group of people talking negatively about you every day for 20 years.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:53 AM   #2
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

thank you, next

Old 12-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think the lack of emotion and inspiration in his music post MCIS is a result of realizing that the rock-star dream isn't what it was cracked up to be. He reached the highest peak, realized it was a shit-show, so ever since, he just didn't have the drive and passion to reach any more heights.

I mean think about it, he lost his mother, he probably played a central role in what happened with the suicide of Cobain, he had a band member die on tour. It's no wonder his artistic flame burned out... But he does his job and does his best to continue making music and he's just ripped apart when it doesn't reach the artistic standards of his past work.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 12-13-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I think the lask of emotion and inspiration in his music post MCIS is a result of realizing that the rock-star dream isn't what it's cracked up to be. He reached the highest peak, realized it was a shitshow, so ever since, he just didn't have that drive and passion to reach any more heights.

I mean think about it, he lost his mother, he probably played a central role in what happened with the suicide of Cobain, he had a band member die on tour. It's no wonder his artistic flame burned out... But he does his job and does his best to continue making music and he's just ripped apart when it doesn't reach the artistic standards of his past work.
yes, he's the victim in this scenario. next

Old 12-13-2018, 02:03 AM   #5
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
he's just a small town guy
What

Old 12-13-2018, 02:09 AM   #6
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He hasn't been a blue collar guy for about 25 years. Call it growing up, experience, or fame going to his head...but there was a huge shift in his attitude from 1991-1994 versus 1995-2000. The goofy approachable guy interviewing D'arcy at Lolla in 93' is very different from the icy jaded guy doing interviews in 98' or the "rudest man in rock" talking with Q magazine in 1999.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 AM   #7
fuzzyroes
Banned

Didn't he grow up in a little suburb an hour or so out from Chicago? He was a blue-collar kid with a tumultuous upbringing and despite all odds, made it big. Pretty cool.

It sucks that he wasn't able to sustain his quality level of artistic production, but there's a ton of musicians throughout the past 60 years who had the same story. No one remembers or holds all of the shit releases that artists like Beach Boys and Neil Young had after their glory years against them...We should just appreciate the Gish-Adore run and whatever songs that we enjoy that came after and ignore and forgive all of the crap.

To do this, we have to come to the realization that the glory days are over. If there's a couple of songs on a release that we like, we shouldn't focus on the 8 songs we hate. I think that's why I can appreciate Monuments. To me, Tiberius and One and All are good rocking tracks, so it's cool to still be able to enjoy new music like that after all of these years.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 AM   #8
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Glendale Heights I believe which is just a suburb of Chicago. Jimmy is from Joliet which is just outside of Chi-town.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

His demeanor definitely changed, I think that was all part of realizing that success wasn't what it was cracked up to be, so it correlates perfectly with his diminishing inspiration that was evident in the music.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 AM   #10
Alice
Minion of Satan

He grew up in the third largest metropolitan area in the United States. He was born in the city and then moved to a suburb that you could get to in 30 minutes or so without heavy traffic

Old 12-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #11
Alice
Minion of Satan

Why am I responding to this thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:41 AM   #12
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

because, like myself, you love pain

Old 12-13-2018, 03:23 AM   #13
Elphenor
Braindead

anyone got a counter on how many times Billy has told that story about buying a car in cash

Old 12-13-2018, 03:23 AM   #14
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
He hasn't been a blue collar guy for about 25 years. Call it growing up, experience, or fame going to his head...but there was a huge shift in his attitude from 1991-1994 versus 1995-2000. The goofy approachable guy interviewing D'arcy at Lolla in 93' is very different from the icy jaded guy doing interviews in 98' or the "rudest man in rock" talking with Q magazine in 1999.
I know someone who changed with success, he went from being humble and agreeable to not giving a shit what anyone else thinks, and generally seeing everyone else as the little people. I think in his mind he was always convinced that he was smarter and more capable than everyone, but he knew he didn't have the proof, to provide others, or even himself, that it was true. But once he became very successful, it's like he felt validated, and had proof that he was better than everyone else, and so he made no effort to hide it anymore. The epilogue to that story is that even though he has material wealth, it's a lot less clear if his friends are really his friends.

There are other plausible explanations in Billy's case, but I think this pattern is probably the more likely.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #15
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
When it comes down to it at the end of the day, he's just a blue-collar guy who tapped into the right movement at the right time. He had a lot of passion and inspiration and made some awesome music for a good 5 years, now ever since he's been living in the shadow of that success.

I realize that we hold him in high regard, so we find it justifiable to share our opinions on his artistic output. But at the end of the day, he's just a small town guy, going on with his life and it's gotta be off putting to have a group of people talking negatively about you every day for 20 years.
the fact that you're pointing out the fact that in about 30 years of being a public artist you think only 5 of them were good, that just about answers it all doesn't it

Old 12-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #16
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

plus, you know, he goes out of his way to piss off fans. of course we're gonna bitch @ the cracka

Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 AM   #17
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
the fact that you're pointing out the fact that in about 30 years of being a public artist you think only 5 of them were good, that just about answers it all doesn't it
I like some of the other material but it's clear that there's an essential era that the legacy rests on. 2000-2018 there's been a lot more not good than good. Machina and Zwan eras were okay, but was quite clearly the beginning of the end. From 2005-present I'd say there's about 10 songs I dig... Not the best ratio, but at least there's been some songs that I dig.

With that said, I'm always curious to hear what he's up to, in hopes that something might connect.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #18
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I can't really get over Billy mocking fans and telling them to fuck off directly to their faces over innocent questions.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #19
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I guess if it was just netphoria that was hard on him, and not like, every single person he's ever had any kind of relationship with

then that might be something to consider

Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #20
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Even on netphoria people aren't nearly as hard on him as he deserves.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #21
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It sucks that he wasn't able to sustain his quality level of artistic production, but there's a ton of musicians throughout the past 60 years who had the same story. No one remembers or holds all of the shit releases that artists like Beach Boys and Neil Young had after their glory years against them...
That’s cause every time billy has opened his mouth since 1992 he has humiliated, belittled, offended, and alienated everyone around him. And on those rare occasions in which he’s not verbally taking a piss on someone, he’s usually bragging about how brilliant, successful, and great he is.

Fuck billy.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

but, but... he's been on the Alex Jones Show, for Heaven's sake? Doesn't that count for something.

Give the poor man a break, sheesh.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #23
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I think the lack of emotion and inspiration in his music post MCIS is a result of realizing that the rock-star dream isn't what it was cracked up to be. He reached the highest peak, realized it was a shit-show, so ever since, he just didn't have the drive and passion to reach any more heights.

Dude youve been one of the most vocal on here trashing the new music, iirc i had to ask you to tone it down a bit, and you come in here telling all of us to stop being so hard on bill?

Are you fucken drunk?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #24
pinetree
Ownz

all this talk about hard on's is getting me hard

Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #25
FoolofaTook

pinepee stfu

run2pee were you the one who recommended breakfast of champs? cos i can't put it down. it's that good.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #26
s0ss
Demi-God

I only think we're too hard on Billy because we think he's a great musician.

He had about 8 good years in him. The breadth of his output is now more leaning on terrible than good.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #27
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
all this talk about hard on's is getting me hard
Maybe we're too hard for Billy.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #28
redbreegull

what's all this about bill having two hard ons?

Old 12-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

maybe we aren't hard enough. we all know what he's capable of in terms of quality, and what's wrong with wanting people to do their best? and guy, S&OSB: V1: NP, NF, NS ain't even close. nor was MTAE. nor was oceania. especially nor was Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. nor was zeigteist.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #30
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

nor was TFE. nor Zwan. nor Machina.

nor Mellon Collie.

nor Siamese Dream.

the best work he's ever done is just sitting on a shelf in Chicago, & it's all. our. fault.