Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #31
F.Delacroix
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I imagine what the old Billy would have done with a line like "the world's on fire".
he would have let it go

Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
eyeboogers
Demi-God

There are things about this track that i like, mainly in the songwriting, the production is a bit too Coldplay for me. It is a great shame that the backing vox are by Corgan and not Fiorentino.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
Ram27
dumb

For some reason it reminds me of Snail, but with all the bad tropes of post 2000 SP.

But it just has no groove to it. Listen to Snail or Cherub Rock or Ava Adore or Tulips or Farewell and Goodnight. BB is just noise.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #34
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Delacroix View Post
he would have let it go
For you

Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #35
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Sounds like Zwan II with a less good/interesting drummer.

I honestly expected it to be way worse than it actually is. But with that said, the drumming just sounds like the kid, so maybe this is just how Corgan wants his drums to sound in this decade.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #36
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
This place is the internet equivalent of ebola. I need to self-quarantine.
Sounds like you're already infected.

I'd like to discuss more about what's bothering you. How's your day going today?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #37
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Don't worry, I won't be here long. Keep cutting and pasting your comments into the RS article.
Why do you care so much, that someone with far too much time on their hands copy and pasted comments from here on there? I dont know how old you are but you need to relax. Just because others don't like the song doesn't mean you have to take it personally. You're free to like the song as much as you like.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #38
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

since 2009 how many of billy's songs have used the word "Lover"?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #39
amayain
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
That used to be James' thing

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #40
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't really know what to make of it. I'm a little annoyed by the vocals in the acoustic parts but those guitars and his vocals there in this chorus are pretty damn great. Maybe I'm crazy but this could be a successful radio single. Interesting how it sounds very different than anything so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
meh
I'm a little confused by how Corg kept talking about the album being really heavy when this song is pretty chill. I do love that second chorus.

Quote:
instant vocal cringe
Yeah, the vox are simultaneously good in the chorus but terrible in the acoustic verses. He hid his vocals in the mix in the chorus. That's a good sign. I like it, I just wish the Pumpkins had some more balls behind their music. It's just a little slow. I was really hoping this album would actually have some buzzsaw guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stereo View Post
The vocals are too loud again. And embarrassing vocal harmonies again.

Tommy Lee sounds good - much improved over Mike Byrne. Otherwise this is pretty terrible.
They're mixed pretty well in the louder parts of the song. Not so much in the quiet part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Production reminds me of Zwan. Songwriting reminds me of Oceania.

Tommy sounds good under there somewhere.
This, in a nutshell. It's pretty much a mix of every post-Machina thing he's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
It's the poppier side of Zwan. Vocals are mixed better. MCIS acoustic progression. It's a nice soft rock single.

This is probably the best way to present Corgan vocals now-a-day. It was what I was most worried about and it seems to be done the best way it could be all things considering.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Anyway - it's better than anything on Oceania. But it's such a throwaway track and not a single. Looking forward to the H E A V Y tracks with G U I T A R S.
Nah, I think it'll perform decently on the charts. It doesn't have that circus piano that killed The Celestials on the charts. I'm listening to Pisces now, and just wish Corgan would bring that buzzsaw guitar...think Frail...so nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Dear god the vocals. It's worse than before.

ha ok.

Vocals are not good, but they are the best post-reunion.

Not gonna lie, listening to Pisces after listening to Being Beige made me slightly sad. That being said, it's still about a 3/5 like most everything post-reunion. I just take it as a different band and then it's good.

As long as it's as good as Oceania I'll be happy. But Oceania is really good and that's kind of a well-regarded opinion in music circles outside of here.

Y'all are chumps. I love that you couldn't even change your comments from here to RS. I came back 4 years later to find y'all are still losers. LOL. It's an average single.

Quote:
Welcome back.
Don't worry, I won't be here long. Keep cutting and pasting your comments into the RS article.

Quote:
Hate to see you go.
This place is the internet equivalent of ebola. I need to self-quarantine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Being completely serious here--it's probably equivalent to Netphoria's unique page views last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
I think it's just the pervasiveness of the negativity. It's one thing to not like the song - but to make a concentrated effort to knock it down is kind of bizarre.
It's how these pathetic failures who peaked in 1996 feel better about themselves.

Last edited by pavementtune : 10-20-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #41
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayain View Post
That used to be James' thing
james was a big "dear" man

to you, dear
for you, dear
...dear!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #42
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

this isn't that bad a song
mastering is at its absolute worst in a way that doesn't benefit anything
but yeah i don't know i guess i'm just sort of in a place where i can be at least somewhat soothed by this sorta sound
the truncation of not having the obligatory "full band" throughout is pretty nice, probably my favorite part of it all

but... as alright as it is there's something about it that's already giving me those "hey, that last album wasn't so bad" feelins as for whatever reason i'm actually thinking of Inkless right now

Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #43
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I think it's just the pervasiveness of the negativity. It's one thing to not like the song - but to make a concentrated effort to knock it down is kind of bizarre.
You're all nuts. For all we know it could have been someone who doesn't even post here. I doubt these random comments are going to knock the song down. You'll get a better sense of people's opinion once other blogs pick it up and random people start commenting. Nobody even gives a shit about RS anymore.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #44
F.Delacroix
Demi-God

A hot rocker that Howard professed love for. "Ok," I said from beneath thick grandma wraparounds. "We'll try it." And like all those riff songs, they go around and around till the thrill is gone and then someone suggests (might have been me), "shouldn't there be, like, a chorus?" Eventually I'd tack one on, and it was good. Let there be light.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #45
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
You're all nuts. For all we know it could have been someone who doesn't even post here. I doubt these random comments are going to knock the song down. You'll get a better sense of people's opinion once other blogs pick it up and random people start commenting. Nobody even gives a shit about RS anymore.
It's literally word for word.

What the hell is wrong with this forum? Like, the formatting?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #46
GLOWer
Demi-God

why is it so repetitive?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #47
Elphenor
Braindead

Unlistanable vocals

Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #48
panda show
Ownz

listened to it.

didn't make me feel anything, just like all of oceania, TBK, zeitgeist & MSOTS..

the vocals during the acoustic verses, especially right at the beginning are cringy. the chorus is somewhat clustered with guitars so the vocals are not that bad.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #49
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Hey guys, why is Thirty-Three so repetitive?
cos it was too good to change

Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #50
GLOWer
Demi-God

Quote:
Hey guys, why is Thirty-Three so repetitive?

Hey guys, why is 1979 so repetitive?

Hey guys, why is Being Beige so repetitive?
lol oh you're that guy.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #51
panda show
Ownz

and the lyrics. I mean what the hell dude

Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #52
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

It's got the "inspirational car commercial" beat.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #53
lavrentis
Oblivious Virgin

The artwork is the best thing about this song.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #54
bye june
Ownz

I've only heard the intro so far, it won't load completely for me.

I didn't really like the intro.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #55
Ram27
dumb

So here's everything Billy said about BB on THE PANOPTICON:

April 1, 2014
Have you ever tried working on a rock song with a splitting headache? Song was BEING BEIGE, a hot rocker that Howard professed love for. “Ok,” I said from beneath thick grandma wraparounds. “We’ll try it.” And like all those riff songs, they go around and around till the thrill is gone and then someone suggests (might have been me), “shouldn’t there be, like, a chorus?” Eventually I’d tack one on, and it was good. Let there be light.

April 16, 2014
Additional locks for album (?): DORIAN, DRUM AND FIFE, BEING BEIGE (WORLD’S ON FIRE)

April 20, 2014
BEING BEIGE received a pass, the demo deemed good enough ‘for now.’

April 28, 2014
Ended on DRUM AND FIRE; I do recall that. And that is a rocking now with ambrosia-foiled tom-toms (In a big country…)

So only 2 more need-serious of the strong-arm tactics: BEING BEIGE and TIBERIUS. Which sets into motion SP-A (secret plan A!).

May 18, 2014
Two wing operation: Jeff working on choruses for DORIAN via guitars-synths-glockenspiels, yours truly unspooling the lyrical themes of BEING BEIGE. So not much that’s snazzy to report.

Or how about this: there are few words that rhyme with beige. Page? Wage? Outrage? Rage against the gauge? But no, beige a’int in the song. Just a lot of you did this, and I didn’t do that’s. And be-ing.

June 2, 2014
I duly report we have two songs to go: ONE AND ALL, and BEING BEIGE; Sir Lee having kicked out 3 songs over the weekend.

June 19, 2014
Rest of session was Shredder working on space-age BEING BEIGE elements (he’d report scant progress)

June 22, 2014
Anyway, finished acoustic (60’s J-200) and electric (BC Strat into 2nd Marshall plexi; a softer tone ironically) for BEING BEIGE

July 7, 2014
That, boys and girls means just 2 are left: ONE AND ALL and BEING BEIGE; homilies as such for the gloried of heart!

July 10, 2014
One to go, BEING BEIGE having been sung, with Shredder’s guitar part to go for basics; and that in the morning before I tackle ONE AND ALL, and the de facto end-of-the-road.

On BEING BEIGE there are two choruses, and if given his druthers Howard would have me quintuple tracked on them all. “Like Kyley Papyrus,” he says. Verses are single takes, and I started today just focused on those; probably 8-9 takes each to get the best focus without overdoing it. Chorus 1 we (unsuccessfully) went for doubles (which means two vocals, the same, that lock), and for Chorus 2, triples! That went well actually, and having heard the final result I left Howard with the note that he should ditch the doubles on Chorus 1, figuring we can fill out the parts later with harmonies or other background singing (takes, anyone?)

July 19, 2014
Again, allegedly, BEING BEIGE is finished. But that’s what Herr Producer claimed on RUN TO ME the night before, and that was a flat out…fib? No, no, Howard’s not a liar, he’s just a tinkerer where I am a restless soul. And as has been shown one too many times in my music CAREER (there, I’ve used that shameful word), I don’t do so well once I’m ready to bust a move to the next song-band-location-partner-vocation, etc.

So today was lots of warbling around on harmonies, while having a gab fest about whether EVERY song chorus needs to sound like it’s headed for a kid’s channel.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #56
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye june View Post
I've only heard the intro so far, it won't load completely for me.
http://www.soundcloud.com/smashingpu...-beige/s-x5p8q

Old 10-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #57
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

I like FOL better than this

Old 10-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #58
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy wins again:

Dude with beard likes the new song

http://i.imgur.com/0LB1qYE.png

Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #59
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
instant vocal cringe
pretty much.

this at least sounds to me more like hmm machina era pumpkins or something. I jsut can't really give a shit about that kinda sound anymore. this smells like Bolly trying hard for a single again though. I could see this generating some interest outside of pumpkin fans

Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #60
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

Nothing super special about it but I like it all the same. Fits with the current season. But then, I relate all of the Pumpkins releases to the seasons in which they were released. I remember hearing SD for the first time in the middle of a blazing summer and determining "THIS is music I can associate myself with" and instantly defining my teenage years. I remember buying Mellon Collie on a cold, fall night and riding around listening to it with my friends and geeking out. And I remember buying Adore and listening to it out side on a hot summer night while getting smashed on cheap vodka after breaking up with my long term high school girl friend.

Also, in regards to this being labeled as a continuation of Teargarden: of course it is. Anything that is released until the magic number 44 is going to be called a Teargarden release so Billy can say "see? I did do this thing that I said I would do". Also, it will give him a chance to re-release everything since the first Teargarden EP, repackage it, and sell it to the fans all over again. I mean, the dude's pretty blatant in his attempts to squeeze as much money out of the fans as possible. He'd probably be the first to say so.