Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Glass And The Machines Of God

Glass And The Machines Of God
a.k.a. this thread is

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 07-29-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vMtbqRhpyX...1600/cover.jpg

Disc One:
1. If There Is A God
2. Cash Car Star
3. The Imploding Voice
4. Wound
5. The Sacred + Profane
6. Stand Inside Your Love
7. Real Love
8. Innosence
9. Let Me Give The World To You
10. The Crying Tree of Mercury
11. White Spyder
12. Raindrops + Sunshowers
13. Glass + The Ghost Children
14. Go

Disc Two:
1. Glass Theme
2. The Everlasting Gaze
3. Dross
4. In My Body
5. Speed Kills
6. Lucky 13
7. Heavy Metal Machine
8. Blue Skies Bring Tears
9. I of the Mourning
10. Here’s To The Atom Bomb
11. Try, Try, Try
12. Home
13. This Time
14. With Every Light

"This is a reconstruction of the proposed double-concept album originally meant to be The Smashing Pumpkins’ fifth and final proper studio album in 1999. Originally conceived as a rock opera, the concept was dropped because of band member disintegration and disinterest as well as record label pushback. The album was eventually released as the massive commercial failure MACHINA/The Machines of God in 2000, with most of the leftover tracks released posthumously by the band without their label’s consent as MACHINA II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music later than year. This reconstruction attempts to cull the best possible sources (including the Machina pre-master and the best vinyl rip of Machina II), unifying their respective volumes and organize them into a cohesive double album that follows the Machina storyline. Specific alternate versions of some tracks were utilized to give the album more of an organic “live band”-sound as opposed to the overproduced Machina album."

The full article is quite long... so I only included this snippet above.
Please visit the link below to read the full article as well as links to download soniclovenoize's reconstruction:
http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot....glass-and.html

He also includes Billy Corgan's concept/story/plot of the whole rock opera. It's actually pretty interesting and makes me see Machina in a whole new light. I wonder how close his interpretation will be to the official release. I can't wait to own the official reissue when it comes out. I think Billy is going to go all out with this one.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 07-29-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

thanks for recreating this thread: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180934

Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

GLASS AND THE MACHINES OF GOD/A Modern Fable
By Billy corgan

somewhere in the not so distant future, we may find a world of not so subtle torments...for amidst the rubble of urban decay and barren wastelands find wander a billion shattered souls...disconnected from themselves by impersonal technologies and personal cause...one such soul is the center of our story, and his name is GLASS...he is the lead singer of THE MACHINES OF GOD, and he believes that GOD itself has asked him to try to change the world...this poses two simple questions: "what is important in a place such as this?" and "is GLASS a prophet sage or just someone who has gone quite mad indeed?!... but first we must go back into the decadent swirl of the past to set the stage for what is to come...you see, GLASS used to be named zero, and the band the smashing pumpkins, at least until zero convinced the band to change the name of the group...they were the biggest band in the world, so this was a very courageous move to make...

one day zero had been alone in his house, quietly listening to the radio when a voice began to speak slowly and clearly to him...it was the voice he had heard in his head since he was a child, but now it spoke to him thru the radio...this voice, which came to be known as the I OF THE RADIO, told zero that his life was predestined, and in order to fulfill his destiny he would need to devote his life to a much higher calling, one that would look beyond the material trappings of the occluded world...

this epiphany that he was indeed important was a life changing and soul shattering experience, giving him newfound confidence and spiritual purpose...he finds sudden clarity in his spirit, but can now see the utter shallowness of his real (and particularly) public life...this sudden change causes many around him to distrust where all of this is coming from...but his band stands with him when he changes his name to GLASS and rechristens the band the now aptly titled MACHINES OF GOD... in his heart however, GLASS secretly questions why he has been chosen...he is both enamoured and flattered by the idea, but at the same time is innately resistant to the responsibilities that this will bring...in his mind, god has aligned himself with GLASS, and GLASS has aligned himself with god...a messenger he shall be, but is he just a c.o.g. within another c.o.g. within another machine?...he decides to use the instrument of his band to spread the truth of life and that love and only love can be the answer...so our story begins with GLASS AND THE MACHINES OF GOD at the height of their material powers, with the most devoted fans in the world, and having just changed the name of the band, releasing their new album, entitled MACHINA...

for years our hero has searched for his true love, the woman of his dreams, JUNE...he called her by many names hoping that there somewhere out there she waited for him too...so one night after a concert, he saw her, and right then and there he knew he had finally found her...JUNE was his perfect reflection, everything that he was not...she brings to him the universal truths of life and living, and a life he has never had... what he does not realize then is that he has fallen in love with a reflection of himself...she embodies the darkness he can only write about...she lives the life of flesh and bone, one he can only think about...so for one short period of time, our hero once zero feels complete and whole, with god and a woman by his side...

GLASS finds himself increasingly torn between his new love and his true calling as a messenger...he doesn?t realize that he really doesn?t have to make a choice between the light and her darkness...he tries to find balance between his humanity and his spiritual pursuits...unknown to GLASS, the hedonism and electric energy of GLASS? accelerated world fuel JUNE?s ever increasing secret drug problems...GLASS comes home one night to find JUNE in a drugged haze, a vinyl record hissing endlessly on the out groove...JUNE is so out of it that she doesn?t recognize GLASS at all, as he calls to her to come back to him...the truth revealed, GLASS sits next to her and, in a rare moment of candor, reveals that god has been speaking to him thru the radio, knowing full well that JUNE probably won?t remember the conversation...despite that, GLASS reveals that he has doubts about the validity of the messages and wonders if he is going insane...GLASS decides because he loves her so, he will try to save her as he is trying to save everyone else, with the power of his healing...GLASS is now on a crusade to save everyone in his life; his band, his girl, his audience, and consequently the world...the only problem is that he has forgotten to save himself...

GLASS begins to lose his balance on both ends when he becomes over righteous and indignant in his beliefs, alienating those who already believe in him and turning off potential new converts...GLASS sees himself as some sort of cosmic preacher, and if he just shouts loud enough the message will somehow get thru the din...JUNE, finding the solace and power in GLASS that she couldn?t muster on her own, begins to believe that she does not need him anymore...she has taken her fill from his light, and like so many others that have taken from GLASS, question whether they ever needed him at all...GLASS begins to bitter at the prospect that he is being toyed with and used by god and JUNE... slowly, GLASS begins to lose faith in his seemingly unshakeable beliefs...he becomes paranoid, believing that everyone is out to get him...the new album is released and is not well received by the fans or the general public...for the first time since the band began, GLASS is publicly humiliated...he begins to question the validity of the messages, thinking perhaps they are from a false god or that his filters of perception are misaligned... he begins to descend into madness, accusing JUNE of disloyalty...in one final argument, she admits she never loved him at all, and that she did hear him tell her about being spoken to by god, and that she believes he is insane...she tells him goodbye for the last time and storms off into the rainy night...she loses control of her car, and is killed when it skids off the road...

GLASS blames god for the loss of JUNE, idealizing his time with her because he can not let go of what her vision means to his faith...he blames the fans for their betrayal at not supporting and following the bands new direction...inconsolable, and without informing the MACHINES, GLASS impulsively tells an audience one night that the band is going to break up and will only play one more final, and sadly tragic show... the night before the final concert, GLASS has a prophetic dream that he is a soldier in a war...he wears a uniform, but does not know who the enemy is or even what side he is fighting for...he wanders the empty streets, gun in hand, looking for anyone at all...in a dark starewell he meets a faceless soldier who takes him by the hand into a dusky basement...the soldier does not speak, and together they sit underneath a single hanging bulb...he is just an animal, seeking shelter, warmth, food, and love...this dream, and the MACHINES final concert send GLASS into a disturbing tailspin...he feels truly and utterly alone...

after the final concert GLASS is quickly forgotten by the public, and he takes to living in an empty warehouse away from anyone at all...he has always felt alone, but now all of the things that gave him strength, focus, and identity are gone...he faces his own doubt and mortality for the first time...he begins to walk by himself at dawn thru the waking streets, and slowly finds an inner peace with his spirit...he begins to forgive and accept the things that have happened to him, and understand that his desire to find perfection above his own humanity led him to things that he did not really want or need...he begins to love and empathize with others without fear of consequence, and so in his aloneness realizes that he was never really alone at all... GOD has always been with him, and always will be...and so in this moment he fulfills his destiny, both for himself and for GOD...

Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Cool As Ice Cream

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=168351

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
thanks for recreating this thread: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180934
ah, shitballs...
my apologies

i even looked in Music Trading to make sure, but that original thread was titled "GATMOG" and didn't make the connection with just the initials.
my bad, if mods wanna delete. they should give you the option to delete your own thread in case of silly mistakes such as these.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 07-29-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
the opening of that thread looks all f'ed up with these damn margins/alignments.
not so pretty

Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Cool As Ice Cream

here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Hey folks! Wow, I haven't posted here in such a long time. I'm glad it at least has the same layout from the Adore-era....

Well, I haven't even heard Zeitgiest or whatever and frankly I don't care. But what I have been doing was trying to somehow reassemble a Glass & The Machiens of God disc since Machina 1 and 2 both annoy me. I feel I finially did it, but this is about the only place I thought of that I could even share this with. How lame is that?

Yeah, well, the idea is to take what I felt were the best songs of the Machina sessions and orginize them into the "correct" song cycle. So this is not ALL of the songs (why would I want to sit through Slow Dawn or Crying Tree of Mercury? That shit just PISSES me off!) but again, what I felt were the best of the batch (as compared to the entire SP catalog before Machina) and, well I must admit, my favorites (Dross... ). Then the idea was to sequence them to be cohesive to the "storyline" and still have the songs flow. I also "trimmed the fat" so to speak and kept each disc under 1 hour. So here you go...

DISC ONE (54:38)
1. Glass Theme (album version)
2. Cash Car Star (album version)
3. Dross
4. The Imploding Voice
5. Stand Inside Your Love
6. Real Love
7. Wound
8. Let Me Give The World To You
9. Innosence
10. Raindrops & Sunshowers
11. White Spyders
12. Glass & The Ghost Children
13. Go

DISC TWO (53:52)
1. Everlasting Gaze
2. Speed Kills (rock version, but only because my SIYL single is MIA)
3. Heavy Metal Machine
4. Age of Innosence
5. In My Body
6. I of the Morning
7. Blue Skies Bring Tears (rock version)
8. Home
9. Sacred & Profane
10. If There is A God (piano version)
11. This Time
12. With Every Light

Yeah, so what's the point of all this? No idea. I did this out of boredom and that I wanted to hear the good stuff from Machina without the bullshit (any remaining Machina songs are, in my opinion, B-side crap). I posted this so maybe you'all might enjoy it.

Adios...

-jm

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
here:
Gracias!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

/THREAD

Please continue the discussion here:
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180934

Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
i even looked in Music Trading to make sure, but that original thread was titled "GATMOG" and didn't make the connection with just the initials.
You sound like a casual fan.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywontyoulistn View Post
You sound like a casual fan.
Because I didn't connect the initials right away makes me sound like a casual fan?
Sure.

Far from casual... been listening since the "Gish" days.
Had that baby on cassette because I'm so old school and you gotta go with cassette when it comes to having the best possible sound quality.

Cheers!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
slunken
Virgo

Sonics links are dead anyway lol

Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Sonics links are dead anyway lol
Well hallelujah, something positive actually came from this thread.

Because all links are in working order through here...

Old 07-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Argh! MyKeyZ! You made a mistake! You're not supposed to make mistakes on Netphoria! You'll be eaten alive!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Argh! MyKeyZ! You made a mistake! You're not supposed to make mistakes on Netphoria! You'll be eaten alive!!!
Oh lordy lordy, please have mercy on my soul! I mades a mistake.
I'm so stupid, I'm so stupid, I'm so stupid.

I's apologize. I ruin the purity that is Netphoria and all its good souls spreading love and joy.
I must punish thyself for thy transgression.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 07-29-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Well hallelujah, something positive actually came from this thread.

Because all links are in working order through here...
i swear i tried to grab this a couple of weeks ago and it was down. sent a pm about it, so maybe he updated the links or w/e.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
slunken
Virgo

oh wait i was thinking of the machina live comp

Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 AM   #19
Cool As Ice Cream

lol