do you know someone who is out of work?

Old 04-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Yes, but just one person.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

i know 7. 5 are my parent's friends, but 2 are friends of mine who have been laid off, one for almost a year and one for 5 months. some of them are falling to temp work to pay bills and mortgages, and one is losing their home of 27 years. it's pretty sad.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:52 AM   #4
Nimrod
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Location: the cross i'm bearing home 'aint indicative of my place

Quote:
Originally posted by homechicago
i know 7. 5 are my parent's friends, but 2 are friends of mine who have been laid off, one for almost a year and one for 5 months. some of them are falling to temp work to pay bills and mortgages, and one is losing their home of 27 years. it's pretty sad.
Out of work for a year? WTF? Was this person fired for theft or something? A year seems like way too long of a time not to be able to find a job.
Perhaps your friend has unrealistic expectations of what kind of job he or she deserves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:57 AM   #5
BlueStar
Newly independent

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod
Out of work for a year? WTF? Was this person fired for theft or something? A year seems like way too long of a time not to be able to find a job.
Perhaps your friend has unrealistic expectations of what kind of job he or she deserves.
Actually, that is not unusual at all. It it typically said that it takes 6 months to 1 year to find a job (particularly after recently graduating)...and that's when the economy is good.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
Nimrod
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Location: the cross i'm bearing home 'aint indicative of my place

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueStar

Actually, that is not unusual at all. It it typically said that it takes 6 months to 1 year to find a job (particularly after recently graduating)...and that's when the economy is good.
Perhaps for idiots.

There are enough job openings that someone can find a job withing A YEAR. If the stat is that high it's because people are lazy or stupid.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #7
tweedyburd
Ownz

I think in realistic terms the economy will be a non-issue for Kerry come November. Nearly every economist is predicting a full-fledged job recovery coming into the home stretch. I spoke with a Wachovia economist a few weeks ago for a story we were doing and she said her company was one of the few that predicted March's high employment numbers. Now just about everyone is jumping on that train, for real reasons. Hah, even Bill Maher said it appears the president has played his cards in such a way for the national economy to be booming this fall.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 04-29-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

if you own a home and have school loans, home loans, and such, you have to get a job that matches your previous salary. i'm talking about people who aren't living above their means either. no dumb suv, plasma screen losers, real people who could take a lower-paying available job but that won't cut it.

yes, some people are lazy, but the ones i know have been down-sized, or their company has merged, or moved operations to india.

you're lucky to have a position that lets you think anyone looking for a job is dumb and lazy for not finding a suitable replacement job when laid-off.