Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #61
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's not working for me either. copied this from elsewhere:
Quote:
I was surprised when someone mentioned to me that today was the 10th anniversary of the Adore album...my first thought was surprise that it had been that long since, and how quickly time passes...it seems like a long time ago and yet, in some strange ways, not that far back either...

recently, when we went in to record 'Superchrist', it was the first time I had been back to Sunset Sound studios since the completion of the Adore album...some of the same people still work there, and spoke very kindly to me of the time spent making that album...we were working in another room for 'superchrist', but I did ask to go to peek inside the other room where many of the songs were cut, and it's funny how time can play tricks with your mind as far as the proportion of things...the tracking room was full of amps and guitars back then, and so empty it looked quite large...i could see in my mind's eye the three of us sitting in a small circle recording 'shame', a song I had just written that morning...and playing take after take after take of 'for Martha', the band in the main room and me at the piano in the isolation booth, trying to reach them thru glass...

the reaction at the time of the album's release, if memory serves me correctly, was overwhelming negative...it was a very naďve thing to try to do, to make an album that sounded little like the one before, and which spoke very openly about mourning and loss...D'arcy in particular was very critical at the time of the decision to even call it a Pumpkins album, saying that it really should have been my first solo album...then I didn't know what to think, because the hopes I placed on the album, mistaken as they were (that the band could be seen in a more open light that had more to do with artistry), were dashed in all the talk of what it didn't sound like and how it was a failure thru and thru...and secretly yearned that the embrace of it would heal some of the wounds of my mothers death and probably honestly the death of the band as well...but none of that worked, none of it came true, and it has been a circuitous journey ever since...it does seem to be the demarcation point of what was, and what became, and what might be...the fact that after 10 years the album has found it's warmer place here and there shows that it's birth and death and re-birth are very much in line with the themes of the album...which is one of hope, and taking a chance that the moment lived properly is ultimately more important than in what gets written down later...

i lived that album quite deeply, and maybe that's why I still can't listen to it...and I can no longer blame anyone if they don't either...it's one of 'those', an 'other', something apart...and the pun of the title, crude as it is, serves quite simply:

Q: "when is a door not a door?"
A: "when it is a jar"

...see, bad joke...

Q: "when is an album not an album?
A: "when it is a-dore..."

Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #62
Kahlo

Thanks for that Bram. I preffer it when he is being open and talking straight, and that was a good insight into his thoughts. I wonder how things would have panned out if Adore was a solo album...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #63
Cool As Ice Cream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
is it a self of steam issue?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #64
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i've always had a lot of self of steam issues myself.

http://indiana-transit-museum.visit-...engine-587.jpg

Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #65
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
skipgo 11
mickyshambles 7
paranoid 4
MonteLDS 4
Cool As Ice Cream 3
ravenguy2000 2
somaziro 2
Rickpat12 2
Kahlo 2
??? 2
JRiordan 2
ScrotumSprite 2
Eulogy 2
ChaosEffect 2
good to see skipgo is still neglecting her kids.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #66
Kahlo

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
How DARE you agree with anything Monte says

adds coolasicecream to ignore

Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #67
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

I think we never react the way Billy wants us to when he releases an album. Shame on us. Adore is really great, though I don't think I felt that way when I bought it. Definitely great stuff through and through.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #68
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyshambles View Post
thats fucking great!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #70
Cool As Ice Cream

Talking

"King of Beffen!!"

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #71
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
alskjfnvadjnadcjanodfivapdshfb paiuhfdrvjmpi dufhb[aoifhva;osdivasdp'v
you did what i was gonna do.

adore is great despite its faults because it's a really expressive record, which i think is something most people look for either consciously or subconsciously. billy was in the process of being humbled by rockstardom. a dead and estranged band members, an 18 month tour, a dead momma, a recently finalized divorce. and it's all on that record. it's great.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #72
SquashinPumpkin
Oblivious Virgin

All of this Adore talk reminds me of Confessions where he wrote about a lot of experiences during the Adore era...I really wish he would continue those posts, they were quite interesting.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #73
slappyspank33
Pledge

I love Adore. Especially the mono vinyl version. I was 17 when it came out. I remember they played the whole album on CFNY a week before its release date. I taped it from the radio and listened to the tape over and over until I got the CD. It sounded like nothing else. The melodies and production were unique to anything else mainstream at the time. When I heard ava adore I was flabbergasted Then after adore came out it felt as though other bands jumped on the 'electronic-rock' band wagon. Adore was exactly the type of album the pumpkins needed to make after MCIS and was exactly what I hoped they'd create. It felt more mature, like they were growing as a band and I like that you could tell what they had been through (the MCIS explosion) had reflected apon adore. It is the last great sp album, Machina and Zeitgiest seemed like a giant leap backwards.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #74
redbreegull

I would agree that Adore was the last record to have the emotional impact that so characterized the Pumpkins early on. Although individual songs by Corgan since have achieved a sense of emotional sincerity, overall the songs have become much more about "global" or "universal" things... things other than personal emotion. Most of Corgan's inward-looking songwriting has dissipated. Adore was also the last record to be produced well. Everything since then has leaned pretty heavily on making everything "loud" and all the space in the mixes has disappeared. The only record since Adore that has even come vaguely close to re-achieving the things the old Pumpkins were so good at is TFE, which featured more personal songwriting and experimentation, being totally off color with Machina, Zwan, and Zeitgeist.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #75
The New
Apocalyptic Poster

so bill deleted his post?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #76
T&T
Socialphobic

10 year anniversary of the album
at the 20th anniversary of the band
its a sine

it's time we get over the first half, and focus on the direction billy has chosen
that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 06-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #77
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManXC View Post
I always liked the Adore era live shows better than the album itself.
Agreed. Some of the songs really took off on stage. Funnily enough I think the album to stage transition is the best of all their albums, in diversity and the epic drive the live performance gave many of the songs. Much of it was completely complemented live, Garsons input could be a bit too much at times though.

Good album, not one I go back to often though. Interesting to see Billys thoughts in retrospect.

Also, Behold! the Night Mare. . .
You just don't get songs like that very often, perfect and one of Billys greatest.

Last edited by Deadeyes : 06-03-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #78
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

While it is unfortunate that the album has that "supposed to be futuristic but now it's retro" feel due to the electronica infusion in the pumpkins rawk (remember that late-90s period where everybody went techno? Yeah, I try to forget that too), it still is a solid album. the only clunkers on it are Appels + Oranjes, The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete, Annie-Dog & Shame. (but that's the middle patch of the album, which almost every record sags in the middle -- and Shame was pulled off much better live on every tour anyway)

Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #79
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

The only thing that would make Adore better is more Jimmy Foot.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #80
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSquishyHalo View Post
Look at this shit, you had a hard on about zeitgeist when it first came out.
I'm pretty sure everyone had a hard on about Zeitgeist that posts here...before they actually heard the damn thing.

Now, I know that they just aren't very good anymore so I'm not even really excited about this new single and I find it a little sad that so many people are.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #81
Submerged
Amish Rake Fighter

Yeah despite all the fantastic things he has done no good can ever come from the man again. Only fools would hold to even a slither of hope. Probably just won't listen to a new single because it is factually impossible for it to be any good.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #82
Diamond Dream
Ownz

Bought the album on release week.

Extremely disapointed by no - Let Me Give the World to You
- Blissed and Gone

Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #83
paranoid
Minion of Satan

the whole irony about him complaining about the reception/sales of the record is that fact that if he had included let me give the world on the record, and perhaps as a single, the record would have sold a helluva lot more.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #84
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

everyone always says that here but, IDK I don't think Let Me Give The World To You would've been THAT great of a single, certainly not to the point where it would've sold that many more records.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #85
ChaosEffect
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
everyone always says that here but, IDK I don't think Let Me Give The World To You would've been THAT great of a single, certainly not to the point where it would've sold that many more records.
lies.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #86
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
Yeah, I try to forget that too), it still is a solid album. the only clunkers on it are Appels + Oranjes, The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete, Annie-Dog & Shame.
funny, those are some of my favorite songs on the album.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #87
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
Yeah despite all the fantastic things he has done no good can ever come from the man again.
Gossamer

Stellar

Those two songs alone are keeping me going

Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #88
unlachs
Ownz

i actually like adore less and less as time goes on....

behold! just gets better with age tho

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #89
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
the whole irony about him complaining about the reception/sales of the record is that fact that if he had included let me give the world on the record, and perhaps as a single, the record would have sold a helluva lot more.
We had a thread a few months ago on this and it was like 80 pages long or some shit. I have to agree with Gossamer though, nothing would have saved this record commercially. I kind of believe that even if SP had cranked out Mellon Collie 2 the sales would have been pretty dismal just because the music scene was changing so much. Bubble gum pop was coming back en vogue, most of the big alternative groups were defunct.

I am glad to see Billy talk for once though not about record sales only. As long as he knows that we, the true fans, understand Adore to be a master work of bottomless beauty, it's all good.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #90
Kahlo

"the true fans"

lol