Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #241
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
- apparently not even getting the news from BC himself.
sounds like an assumption...

Old 02-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #242
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
WTF is this?
wow. that's at the end of his last instagram story. amazing. what a nutcase.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #243
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
WTF is this?
Posted in Sad Machines...though it was funny, but not sure who made it. Still a dick tho.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #244
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

His statements from Rolling Stone in 2010 about James and Jimmy

"By the late nineties, the Pumpkins had been reduced to Corgan plus 'two drug addicts and one guy who hated me, and I hated him.' The non-drug addict was guitarist James Iha - the only Pumpkin other than Corgan to get songwriting credits on the band's albums. As Corgan tells it, Iha got deep under his skin by acting hostile and then insisting nothing was wrong. Bassist Wretzky - who seemed to be around more for her cool vibe and good taste than any particular musical talent - had already left the band by the time Corgan broke it up. He now wishes he'd handled the whole thing differently. 'Rather than break up the band, what I should have done is chuck James out, Corgan says. 'I should have just said to Jimmy [Chamberlin], 'You go to rehab and we'll continue and James, get the fuck out of here.' Instead, I fell on my sword for James, for what I thought was a friend.'"

"Afterward, Corgan fired Chamberlin - though the drummer halfheartedly suggests he might have quit. Until he had his first child seven years ago, Chamberlin was a heroin addict - Corgan first fired him in 1996 after touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin died while partying with him on tour one night. Chamberlin is sober now, but Corgan is convinced that his character hasn't changed, that he is fundamentally 'unhealthy.' 'Jimmy is a destructive human being, and people who are destructive break things,' Corgan says. 'I don't see me reaching the highest levels of my creativity if I'm unhealthy and I have unhealthy people around me. Every time Jimmy didn't show up for a week in the studio, I made it about me. Any time James Iha was off in a corner somehwere not paying any fucking attention, I made it about me.' After Corgan told Chamberlin he was out, the drummer 'unloaded' on Corgan, unleashing 20 years worth of pent-up insults. 'So I was like, 'Fuck you,' Corgan recalls.' 'Go ride around in a white van for the rest of your life.'"

"Chamberlin becomes apoplectic when he hears Corgan's account. 'In the middle of the last tour, Billy said it was the agent's fault, and then it was the band's fault, and then it was the fans fault,' the drummer says."

HAPPY REUNION!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #245
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2579/...bffcf4a1_o.jpg

Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #246
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He's actually...worse than Trump.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #247
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
sounds like an assumption...
It is. There's been nothing to specifically back that up. I think that's being assumed since the prior BlastEcho interview a while back she said she'd been "contacted by SP's management" a few times over the years to play bass, so the running theory is the same people would have contacted her to let her know she wasn't in. It's also being assumed that since she backpedaled and claimed her account was hacked and then nuked her facebook, she might have gotten into legal shit for disclosing her status about the reunion at all to BlastEcho - probably breaking a non-disclosure agreement, if she signed one.

It's pretty shitty that Bill's downplaying what she did on Machina, ostensibly to remind everyone she's not important to the songwriting or recording process - which is debatable, since he once said he looked at her more than anyone else during recording because she could never hide what she liked or disliked. His own words.

But conversely, it's been known for long enough now that James did most of the bass on the album. It's not really news, and I don't think "Flaxen Saxxon" is meant to be any kind of insult. Just BC using flowery language to describe everything.

It's the "#becarefulwhatyouwishfor" tag that he added to that which intrigues me. That's him either telling us they're messing with us and she's involved (..."because you just might get it") or it's an actual warning that she's not equipped to contribute what she used to.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #248
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

it definitely sounded like an insult to d'arcy in the context of his post considering it was directly followed by his decrying her musical contributions.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #249
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

"well, I haven't seen him pick up a bass since Machina (which he played a fair share on, despite reports claiming a certain 'flaxen Saxxon' did; and as you know with much that is written is patently f-a-l-s-e)."

In English:

"I haven't seen him pick up a bass since Machina (which he did most of the work on, despite the belief that D'Arcy did the whole thing, but as you know that's not the truth.)"

If I remember right even the M1 booklet just says she plays bass, but doesn't specify what. I wasn't familiar with the band's inner workings at the time so I was surprised to find out James did most of the work years later.

There's nothing inherently insulting in the phrase "Flaxen Saxon" that I can read. Just him describing the color of her hair and heritage to make things rhyme for no reason and describing facts as he sees them. It's like him saying "James St. James".

He'd solve a lot of his own problems if he just talked like a normal fucking person.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #250
Crepe
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
It's also being assumed that since she backpedaled and claimed her account was hacked and then nuked her facebook, she might have gotten into legal shit for disclosing her status about the reunion at all to BlastEcho - probably breaking a non-disclosure agreement, if she signed one.
I think most people here are getting way too deep into that theory. For all we know, the blastecho article was just bullshit and thats it.

Billy's obviously teasing/trying to do a wrestling russo swerve.

Seems nobody from the leak is playing bass.

I agree that it would be a nice change for him to speak properly.

Would Billy be deconnected enough to never mention who's playing bass and just introduce that person during the first show? Seems like a move he'd do...

Old 02-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #251
myosis
Minion of Satan

there are no specific credits in the Machina booklet, it just says The Smashing Pumpkins are Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'arcy, Jimmy Chamberlin.

but we all knew that it was symbolic to mention her because she had quit before the album was recorded proper.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #252
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
MCIS was the peak of Jimmy's playing.
No. Gish is where Jimmy displayed his chops. SD and MCIS were mostly just rehashed fills/beats he used from that album. Sure they each had their own new beats and fills (Geek USA/Tonight, Tonight, Jellybelly, etc.), but nothing so profoundly different than what you will find on Gish.

Of course I'm not saying Jimmy got worse after Gish or something like that. But I think Jimmy held his own after MCIS as well. Just look at Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea. That has some insane fills that only Jimmy could rightfully pull off.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #253
Elphenor
Braindead

my reasoning is that without Jimmy you still can have Adore

without Darcy still Machina

without James almost nothing decent is recorded

Old 02-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #254
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I always thought Darcy played bass on Machina I.

Untroo fan alert.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #255
FoolofaTook

The drums on Snail. That was Jimbo's peak.

Goddamn!

Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #256
in stereo
Demi-God

Billy, why does everything always need to be so fucked? Why cryptically insult D'arcy? All you had to do was say nothing. People can get over the lack of D'arcy. But why be a dick about it?

And Jeff fucking SUCKS. There's absolutely NO NEED for 3 guitars in SP.

Last edited by in stereo : 02-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #257
FoolofaTook

There's nothing inherently insulting in the phrase "Flaxen Saxon" that I can read.

The vibe of that whole post was dickish. He didn't use her real name because, like mostbullies, he is a coward.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #258
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I always thought Darcy played bass on Machina I.

Untroo fan alert.
pretty good commentary about her playing

Old 02-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #259
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Billy is acting like a baby and so are some of the fans.

but, you know, fish rots from the head down.

also machina I and II were some of Jimmy's best drumming as far as taste, playing to the song, etc etc is concerned

Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #260
Ram27
dumb

agreed

I don't really care if he repeats fills or whatever. 95% of the time he's playing to the song

Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #261
FoolofaTook

Of course Jimmy slays on every album he plays on. But Gish was where he DOMINATED.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #262
paranoid
Minion of Satan

the argument doesn't really hold, tbh.. was he showcasing his chops on songs like thats the way, never lost, for god and country, bleeding the orchid, cmon lets go? etc etc etc?? yeah there's some show boat stuff on zeitgeist but it's not all over the whole record. if anything, he's mellowed out quite a bit since the 90's.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #263
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

wouldn't it be much cooler if he wasn't playing to the song? like if the band played whatever song live and he just played another song?

Old 02-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #264
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
wouldn't it be much cooler if he wasn't playing to the song? like if the band played whatever song live and he just played another song?
Or if he wasn't even there? An SP reunion without Corgan.

The possibilities are endless.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #265
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
agreed

I don't really care if he repeats fills or whatever. 95% of the time he's playing to the song
I agree with this, in fact reusing unique fills and patterns helps to make a drummer’s sound stand out.

My point is that nothing on MCIS really stands out as being a creative peak per say for Jimmy. I think that this thought came from the fact that MCIS was Billy’s creative peak for song writing, creating the illusion that it was also Jimmy’s peak.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #266
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Its got drive Bilbo mad that he has to work around james’ more in demand band’s schedule.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #267
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Or if he wasn't even there? An SP reunion without Corgan.

The possibilities are endless.
Now, THIS I'd give my money to.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #268
FoolofaTook

Jimmy James Darcy and... Jeff!!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #269
FoolofaTook

"The Schroeder Pumpkins"

Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #270
ilikeplanets
Braindead

who would sing? i like james but he's basically inaudible. d'arcy has a nice voice but i've never really heard her have a lot of range or dynamism. can jimmy even sing while playing drums? can jeff sing at all?