Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #571
T&T
Socialphobic

I've listened to it before in it's entirety.
it's fair to say I forgot how bad it was, but 2 seconds of a song is all I need to remember what sucked about it.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #572
Crepe
Demi-God

With sympathy has tryx3 back vocals

Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #573
emilem
Demi-God

monuments at least sounds like an album billy actually wanted to make. and maybe even had a bit of fun making it. and i will take a shitty album billy believes in over this mundane AOR any day of the week.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #574
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
monuments at least sounds like an album billy actually wanted to make. and maybe even had a bit of fun making it. and i will take a shitty album billy believes in over this mundane AOR any day of the week.
I don't need either. other bands make good music.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #575
ifuktyourmom
Demi-God

Can I get a PM with a link to the leak?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #576
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I don't need either. other bands make good music.
yea but other bands aren't fronted by egotistical nauseatingly pretentious assholes

Old 11-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #577
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifuktyourmom View Post
Can I get a PM with a link to the leak?
download soulseek and search with that.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #578
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Spot on glass.

I think there's some nostalgic shine on a few of the new tracks and it's probably clouding ones opinion.

I'm listening to Monuments right now and it's far better... There's like 2 shitty songs and the rest is solid. I don't get the hate.
"Dorian" was a faithful song...

Old 11-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #579
dustrocck
Demi-God

Like I said, I'm ignoring the brickwalling and terrible Rubin production and I like the actual sound of much of the songs.

These are obviously mostly Monuments etc tracks that Billy probably had lying around.

He is now going to be writing a new SP with this lineup, after a successful tour of their greatest hits. Hopefully that inspires him to spend some time in the studio.

God stay away from Rubin from now on though.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #580
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

'Nobody believes I made a three-star record. Nobody!'

You just made a three star record.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 PM   #581
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
This album reminds me of Zeitgeist in the sense that the best songs are better than anything else Corgan has put out in the last decade, but it isn't a super cohesive album. Oceania I thought was pretty cohesive, but there weren't any songs on there as tight as Silvery Sometimes or With Sympathy.

I'm pleased though to have a few songs that I dig. This definitely blows away Monuments. They're in their 50's, I'm not expecting them to ever put out an incredible record again.
That's a great way to put it. I couldn't really pinpoint what it was about Oceania that threw me off, but you're right, it was super cohesive but nothing really standing out (I did really like Celestials and My Love is Winter).

Silvery Sometimes might be his best song since 2000.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #582
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Couldn’t disagree with buttcannons review more. Tiberius, One and all, Monuments, Drum + Fife and Dorian are better than anything on So Shiny Bright Oh So Bright So Oh

Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #583
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

Nvm lol

Last edited by great poster : 11-12-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #584
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Monuments is not better than shiny. It’s just as good as shiny, and monuments is shit save for a couple songs. For once corgan didn’t make an album crummier than the last.. maybe he’s hit a plain.

SP’s future is more promising if they do tours on updated stage shows based on their epic works, like MCIS or Machina. Reissues/reimagining’s and such. But if they’re going to keep writing crap like seek and destroy, they’re going nowhere.

He did say next thing will be more shoegaze. I’d be into that, but not sure I trust his word on that.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #585
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Couldn’t disagree with buttcannons review more. Tiberius, One and all, Monuments, Drum + Fife and Dorian are better than anything on So Shiny Bright Oh So Bright So Oh
I really liked Being Beige, unlike many on here. I enjoyed Tiberius as well, and Run2Me was catchy (another unpopular opinion). Drum + Fife was alright. Everything else was pretty meh to me, and I thought Billy overall just sounded kind of forced on the album. Anaise and Anti-Hero to me were cringeworthy bad, I don't think there's anything cringeworthy bad here, though there isn't anything incredible either. It sounds like what you'd expect Billy, Jimmy, and James to put out at 50 years old. For these new releases from 90's bands I now just have learned to expect nothing great, so I now am pleased when there's a few songs I dig and there's nothing embarrassingly bad. I don't think the new AIC album has anything as good as the best songs on here.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #586
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
That's a great way to put it. I couldn't really pinpoint what it was about Oceania that threw me off, but you're right, it was super cohesive but nothing really standing out (I did really like Celestials and My Love is Winter).

Silvery Sometimes might be his best song since 2000.
I've said before if you plopped Tarantula on Oceania it'd instantly be a much more memorable album, I think you could say the same about Silvery Sometimes. This whole album to me is worthwhile for that song alone. The latest AIC and STP albums don't have a song that comes close to it.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #587
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Vox on marchin soubd like old pumpkins.
He still can do it.

Travels and alienation started to annoy me after 3 listens.
Aaaaalienaaaaatiin- similar to antieaaaaatom on ogilala.

Besides travels sounds like a bas u2 song. Second half reminds me soundwise of monuments. I guess i hate the e- guitar tone in general ( the one he often uses in the past years- metallic, dry, harsh sound

Overall the album is ok

Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 AM   #588
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Also I’d take silvery and with sympathy over any song on MTAE, and possibly zeitgeist.

Kinda ticked jimmy and James weren’t around when he was writing Oceania. That’s the most solid one of the decade minus the ham fisted foo fighters drumming.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 AM   #589
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
It sounds like what you'd expect Billy, Jimmy, and James to put out at 50 years old.

Or a rockstar beyond 27...

Old 11-12-2018, 02:08 AM   #590
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
He did say next thing will be more shoegaze. I’d be into that, but not sure I trust his word on that.
I'll hang on for this promise alone

Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 AM   #591
russticles
Demi-God

Well it's better than the bore fest that was 'Eat The Elephant', that's for fucking sure. Also I agree with WeilandFan, I've listened to STP/AIC releases numerous times and nothing in particular stands out on those records, at least this record has some stand outs.

I'm a little bummed how up front and 'dry' everything sounds, especially the drums, which probably influenced JC to play more reserved/consistent to avoid cluttering up these mid-tempo songs as any nuanced playing would be at similar volume due to the compression used. I mean, look at 'Travels', just the same repeating drum pattern over and over... for 5:23. zzzzz

Some songs sounded like there could have been some potential to be really great but it just doesn't quite get there.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #592
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #593
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Actually I haven't even listened to it. I just wanted to post some turd polish.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #594
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
I mean, look at 'Travels', just the same repeating drum pattern over and over... for 5:23. zzzzz
So is 1979, their biggest hit.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 AM   #595
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

I wonder what Butch Vig is gonna think about the new album.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #596
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
Well it's better than the bore fest that was 'Eat The Elephant', that's for fucking sure. Also I agree with WeilandFan, I've listened to STP/AIC releases numerous times and nothing in particular stands out on those records, at least this record has some stand outs.

I'm a little bummed how up front and 'dry' everything sounds, especially the drums, which probably influenced JC to play more reserved/consistent to avoid cluttering up these mid-tempo songs as any nuanced playing would be at similar volume due to the compression used. I mean, look at 'Travels', just the same repeating drum pattern over and over... for 5:23. zzzzz

Some songs sounded like there could have been some potential to be really great but it just doesn't quite get there.
Jesus, why does everyone around here have such a hate-on for A Perfect Circle? I’ve only heard three songs off this new Pumpkins album so far but I’d take any track off Eat the Elephant over those vapid pieces of shit. I’d say the same about the new STP album. At least those bands seem to be putting effort into their songwriting. Billy just half-asses it from one song to the next.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:49 AM   #597
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

My body is ready. PM please.

edit: PM delivered and appreciated.

Last edited by Ol' Couch Ass : 11-12-2018 at 05:12 AM.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 AM   #598
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Marchin' On is one of the best things they've done in a decade. Production actually works on that one. Vocals are great. Strings with the guitars sound great. Would've loved three more songs like that!

With Sympathy is pretty good to, can hear James on the backing vox. The vocals aren't too loud on that one either (though a bit too high). Reminds me of Try Try Try. Good doubled vox on the chorus. I really like that one.

Seek & Destroy is a bit like Metallica funnily enough. I quite like the riff! Vocals aren't too bad either, again the dry production sort of works here. The chorus could've actually used more backing vocals.

Even after hearing these three songs my estimation of this album has gone up considerably. Pity it's not longer / has more songs on it.

The vocals on Travels are pretty nice, *almost* the soft style of yesteryear. Production is quite good on this one. It's all beginning to make sense.

Definitely getting a Machina vibe off these tracks, in terms of the playing style. With a little MCIS in there. Nothing like Gish or SD.

Alienation, well there's the synths and the 4/4. But it develops nicely, it's not Run2Me 2, thankfully. Vocals are good, his singing is quite impressive on this album. Nice James solo, very Adore-esque. Billy's (if it is him) is pretty nice too, quite restrained.

If they make part 2 in this vein, I'd be quite happy. Then if they make further albums, shoegaze style, let's hope they don't work with Rubin on them.

7/10 on initial listen.

Last edited by eviltimeban : 11-12-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #599
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

The production is dry and not other than on oceania or monuments.
Alienatioooooon suxs ( antieeeaaaaaatom- just annoying and a u2 copy).
Seek sounds crappy- like monuments most.

Still its ok.
Malteser doesnt fit on this.

If they would add more dynamic and wouldnt use such a dry and sound( vocals drums guitars) i would like it much more.

But u know it s the modern radio way(bullshit imo)

5/10.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #600
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

So far I prefer it to Monuments.

And if Part 2 is similar next year then I'll prefer the whole package to Zeitgeist. And I like a lot of Zeitgeist.

I don't think it can be compared to Oceania as it is two different bands.

It does need a 9th or 10th song though, to make it feel like an album. Right now it does feel like an extended EP or mini album. The two EPs would've made sense. But in these days of streaming and short attention spans, maybe a 30 minute album is all we needed.

And maybe another 20 minutes of the same thing would've been 20 minutes too much!