Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Default How many counselors have you been to?

Which was your favorite? How long were you there?

Old 10-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

http://teaching.monster.com/nfs/teac...jpg?1245871947

Old 10-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've only had the one. I get ten free hour-long sessions from my school, and the counselor I had was doing an internship. She's gone now, and even though I have two more sessions left, it feels like it'd be pointless to do another intake session and get acquainted with another counselor whom I'd only see twice.

I dunno, other than having a chance to unload things, I don't feel like I got a whole lot out of it. Doesn't feel like I really worked on anything, because each session was just me bringing up another issue from my grab bag of insecurities to complain about.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i've been to a LOT of professional psychiatrists (with whom, unfortunately, i have no personal relationship at all )

Old 10-17-2016, 02:11 AM   #5
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

wow haha i just had a flashback to a highschool incident, where during a neverending, particularly excruciating math class, i made a little drawing of a little noose on the table\wall where i was sitting, and fittingly added "I WANNA DIE".

well, some teacher saw it, failed to see the humor in it, and booked me and the guy who sat next to me (who was my friend at the time) a meeting with the school counselor (who, btw, was Pink Floyd - The Wall bad).

Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I attended a psychologist as a kid because i'd have trouble fitting in at school, was constantly picked on and had no idea how to deal with it.

I threw a blackboard eraser in a kid's mouth in 2nd grade (missed the kid I really wanted to hit), and threw a school chair at some kids who kept bullying me in third grade.

I did hate the psychologist tho, my impression is that she pretended to be interested in what I liked, and I just said whatever I thought was the better choice back then. It lasted for a couple years, and I never understood why they made me go there.
Eventually I started making friends at school and said peace to the psychologist.

I met her randomly on the street a few years back and she's a lovely old lady who even remembered me, I hugged her tight and told her she helped me so much which was not necessarily true, but she looked genuinely happy so it was worth it.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I once cried at a grad student about how I was drinking too much at my universitys free clinic. Then a few years ago I called the assistance program through a professional organization. I really should go to a counselor. Sometimes it feels like I'm acting all the ways I used to act when I was drinking, just minus the alcohol

My main problem seems to be I wasn't raised to believe I could accept and feel and manage my own negative emotions; instead, they must be denied, buried, suppressed at all costs. Meanwhile act out obsessively in some way to deal with the negative emotion plus the snowballing interior bundle of unacknowledged negative emotions from before

Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

3. a lady named pushpa when i was 16. i saw her a total of 3 times (or fewer). then another man who used to be anorexic...he told me. i only saw him once.

now i'm with nina, whom i've been seeing for 5 years so i guess you can say things are pretty serious.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

y'all posting in a parody thread. actually i guess it's a rare parody-but-pertinent thread

I went to a counselor when I was about 11... my sister and I were having problems going to school. We both went to see her (which I now think is probably not the best therapeutic practice). However, the counselor decided my sister was really sick (which she was) and I was just a defiant asshole with a little depression. I didn't help myself too much; I denied suicidal ideation and downplayed everything else. But the asshole thing became a self-fufilling prophecy to some degree, because I was angry that everyone was treating me like a bad person my anger made me look like a bad person.

I also went to an alternative school after this which consisted of a lot of group therapy every day and some individual sessions. You stayed at the school Mon-Fri and went home on weekends. After this I went back to my original counselor. This was really the impetus I had to leave home at 15. People were treating me like I was a bad person and it was terrible. Although the alternate school did not treat me this way. They were actually good for me and I did well there. The recognized I had a high IQ (I think they tested me but I don't remember) and treated me much more like an adult in private sessions and also gave me alternate schoolwork to do. Which was also kinda bad I guess, because it separated me from the other kids. But compared to them, I had no behavior problems and didn't really 'belong' in the school.

After I moved back here at 19, I started a slow decline. I started going to a psychiatrist in 2005-ish, and then totally had a breakdown and saw a therapist in early 2008, culminating in inpatient in 2008. In the next two years I went into inpatient about 7 times. I saw a therapist who was crappy and didn't give a shit about me. She thought I was lazy and that's why I "couldn't" work. I also saw a psychiatrist who also did therapy with me. He was pretty good at the time but I still see him every 3 months for meds and I kinda think he's a pretty bad therapist now. He became way narcissistic, or I just didn't realize he was before.

So in 2011 I started seeing my therapist who is really good. She, coincidentally, saw my sister way back in the day after our original therapist referred her. I didn't know this when I contacted her. She also worked with my psychiatrist at a facility, which I also didn't know when I contacted her. She's a really great therapist and does care about me and has cried with me and laughed with me and helped me with just so much. Before I started seeing her I was still suicidal to some degree, wasn't leaving the house except for therapy, very very anxious and very deep into PTSD issues. I still have all of these problems but to a much less degree. I still have a lot to work on w/r/t my dissociative disorder but she's helped so much. We are alike in many ways but not everything.

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Went to a marriage counselor prior to my divorce from the fall of 2014 up until May of 2015 when the whole thing went tits up. The counselor did her job, but both parties have to willing to apply what they learned in their sessions to every day life in order for it to work. Which, in my opinion, my ex-wife did not.

I'd like to see a therapist on my own someday soon.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I don't remember, about 10 but literally none of them made an impression on me

Old 10-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
redbreegull

when I was in first grade this kid omar smashed my pbj sandwich into oblivion with his soda can. I had to go to the counselor to talk about it

when I was in high school my sister had a temper tantrum at my parents and my dad took her cellphone away. the next day she told the counselor my father beat both of us up and that I had said I was going to kill myself because of it. They called me to the office and locked me in a room for several hours, would not let me be dismissed at the bell, etc. They wouldn't let me go until my mother came and signed for my release

Later in high school I did something really stupid to another kid (who deserved it) and then swore up and down that I was not responsible until the administration let it go. Hard to pin shit on a white boy. I had to speak with counselors and security and the principal over that

Old 10-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
redbreegull

I saw an academic counselor when I started community college who gave me very bad advice that resulted in me taking several classes I straight up did not need. So just a huge waste of my time which made it difficult for me to graduate with my class down the line when I transferred, prevented me from getting my second major, and just caused me a lot of stress. Plus one of the unnecessary classes kept me up many nights trying to pass. Fuck you very much!

Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Later in high school I did something really stupid to another kid (who deserved it)
Don't be coy.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #15
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I could always tell when my high school would send the counselor into a classroom to take notes on me. She had a terrible poker face and I could stare her down easily. I would hate to be a teacher and have a student like how I was. My only saving grace is I am not and never have been violent. Just mean, stubborn, lazy, and defiant. And sneaky as fuck. Fucking hate high schools.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #16
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

1. (14) school guidance counsellor
2. (15) on-call psychiatric assessment team
3. (16) as above
4. (17) as above
5. (17) as above
6. (17) private counsellor
7. (17) family counsellor (with my family - but for the benefit of my brother)
8. (19) workplace counselling (to help me avoid so many absences from work)
9. (19) as above - different workplace
10. (20) on-call psychiatric assessment team
11. (20) as above
12. (20) as above
13. (20) consultant psychiatrist, hospital staff
13. (20) consultant psychiatrist, hospital staff
14. (20) clinical psychologist, hospital staff
15. (20) psychiatric nurse, hospital staff
16. (20) clinical psychologist, outpatient service
17. (21) psychiatrist, outpatient service
18. (21) clinical psychologist, outpatient service, group therapy
19. (22) psychiatrist, outpatient service - different city
20. (22) clinical psychologist, outpatient service - different city
21. (23) psychiatrist, student health service
22. (23) private counsellor
23. (26) psychologist, private practice
24. (30) psychologist, private practice
25. (31) clinical psychologist, private practice
26. (33) psychiatrist, private practice
27. (34) psychiatrist, private practice

So. About 27, give or take.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #17
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

My favourites were the nurse in hospital and my first clinical psychologist. But it could be a sort of nostalgic, romantic thing. I dunno.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Don't be coy.
I'll preface by saying it's not really a very good or funny story so read at your own risk of "why am I reading this"

I was in a digital art class in 10th grade and this fuckin asshole Anthony was always just being an obnoxious piece of shit, disrupting the class, hampering my fuckin education and shit (he destroyed more than one CPU by jamming pencils and paper clips into the disc drives and shit, that was his style), so one day when we came into class I wrote "ANTHONY IS A BIG OL' PENIS" in a word document and sent it to one of the printers. I thought it was pretty innocuous, but around midway through class one of his friends found it in the printer tray and was like OH SHIT OH SHIT SON ANTHONY YOU SEE THIS SHIT?! I laughed really hard, my biggest mistake in hindsight.

So Anthony lost his fuckin shit over being anonymously being called a dick and he started running around sticking the paper in people's faces demanding to know who did it. The teach was all like hey settle down now we'll get the bottom of this. She quieted everyone and was like I need to know who did this. Obviously I didn't say shit, just blank-faced her. Fragile Anthony could not handle a world without retribution though, and he wouldn't drop it. So the teacher called security cause she didn't know what else to do and security came in and talked some shit, threatened us and then said there was still a chance the perp could get off easy, basic police tactics. But at this point there was literally no way I was going to confess.

Finally they let us go but the next day the security chief guy came back with the head IT person and they threatened the class a bunch more. The IT guy was going on and on about how he was capable of tracing all print jobs and he would eventually figure out what computer the message came from so the guilty party should just 'fess up. now the only reason the paper was even discovered on that day was that it happened to be one of the last days of the semester and people were madly printing shit to get into their portfolios. So I called the guy's bluff essentially, figuring that even if he could trace any individual print job back to a computer, there was no way he could recover the actual information of each print job (probably not a good assumption but it wound up being true), and since there was no way to know when the offensive message was written, there was also no way to tell which of the many print jobs that day were legit and which was the penis paper. Still no one flinched (my boys all knew it was me but they had my back, bless em), and our irritated interrogators whispered among themselves and then started threatening the class with sexual harassment charges. Still, I was unfazed. Finally the security chief told us that tomorrow he was going to send in MR. GREEN, who was the security guy who just sat in the security office all day and watched the cameras, because the military had trained him to identify people who are lying by their tone of voice and mannerisms (yeah they actually told us this).

Next day, Mr. Green came to our class and pulled every student out one by one. And one by one, he sat us down in a chair down the hallway, stood over us, and questioned us. He went down the rows of how we were seated, so one by one I watched my boys get led into the hallway, and one by one I saw them return with a surreptitious nod to me and an expression of subtle steely triumph. They were unbroken. Finally Mr. Green called me out and sat me down in the chair. He showed me the printed paper as evidence and searched my eyes for traces of guilt. I offered him nothing. He asked me if I had seen the paper and I said yeah when everyone was laughing at it. He said well your classmate Anthony told me you were laughing pretty hard, you sure you hadn’t seen it before cause he seems to suspect you. I said no, if I had seen it before I wouldn’t have laughed so hard because a joke is never funnier the second time. Mr. Green didn’t appreciate my smartass remarks and made it known.

This is where things took an unexpected turn. He pursed his lips, narrowed his eyes, and asked SO YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THIS BEFORE EITHER THEN? and under my nose he stuck a copycat offensive note which I was honestly unaware of. It said “ANTHONY IS A BIG OL’ PENIS” but this one was complete of a fairly good digital illustration of Anthony’s face except he had a huge flaccid dick for a nose. I was biting my tongue so hard I think I drew blood. It has never been harder for me to keep a straight face. But I got sent back into the class and Mr. Green moved to the next student. Later, a number of us were sent to counseling for a follow-up (I guess they had narrowed the suspects down?) I spoke with two counselors, two administrators, and just kept my story the same the whole time. I kept repeating in my most adult voice, “In hindsight, it was an obvious mistake to laugh jovially at this incident of sexual harassment.”

I’m pretty sure everyone knew it was me but hey no hard evidence and I was just being a little fuck. So they gave up.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
redbreegull

on the way to bus I said to my bud Ryan, "Did he show you the second one? With the dick on his face?"

And Ryan laughed and said, "Yeah, brings a whole new meaning to the phrase blow one's nose."

Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #20
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

that's a great story

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

my only rule breakin' story is in kindergarten after school there was this kid... don't remember his name... who was bullying my friend Scott. I was a tough little 5 year old I guess and was telling him off and I dunno what happened but I swung at him and he ducked and I punched my friend right in his nose, which promptly started bleeding everywhere
My friend was like "she didn't mean it she didn't mean it" and I told them what happened and I didn't get in any trouble. Like, seriously I was trying to hit a kid, even though I hit my friend by mistake I probably should have gotten in some kinda trouble? anyway it was legend in our families for a long time. my friend died a few years ago

only other thing i remember is my friend Aaron Tucker (of course I used to call him Aaron Fucker) and I who lived across the street combining chemicals in plastic bottles and putting lit matches in them. very stupid, in hindsight. i got caught because i had taken my mom's box of matches (like one of those big ass boxes, not a book) and my mom and my friend scott's mom were in the driveway and called me to come in and i had them in my pocket or something and they fell out. that's the only time i remember getting grounded

Aaron used to print out these centerfold like porn pictures in black and white on his AOL connection and show all of the kids on the block (well i mean it was probably like 3 other kids). i told him once, something like 'real men don't need porno' and he was like 'real women don't either!' referring to the fact that I guess I was watching it with him? I mean I guess we were. it wasn't sexual to me, i was too young i guess, but he was only a year or two older than me. it wasn't so much him 'showing it to me' i don't think, just he was looking at it and we were hanging out and if i wanted to hang out that's what he'd be doing. sounds kinda creepy now when i think about it

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #22
vixnix
Socialphobic

I have a lot of stories about rule breaking.

But when I was 14 my English teacher was explaining A Kestrel for a Knave to our class, saying people often have a special relationship with an animal. I knew she loved cats, so I said: "I heard about a guy who used to fuck cats". That was actually the first time I saw the guidance counsellor at school, come to think of it. I think they wanted to know if I was being sexually abused, having made a comment like that, in class.

I was kind of an out in the open rule breaker. When you have your ego and body constantly pummelled at home every day by your own parents, it's hard to imagine there'll be a punishment at high school that will be anything short of a picnic.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #23
redbreegull

working with kids, it was always really hard to keep a straight face and be impartial when someone would say something like, "I heard about a guy who used to fuck cats," cause honestly that's bold and irreverently hilarious and deserves a homework pass or something.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #24
redbreegull

fuck cats oh man haha

Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #25
vixnix
Socialphobic

in the elevator on the way up to the principal's office she even tried to reach out to me, saying "You know I think very highly of your work." but I was 14 and a bitch, so I was like "Whatever."

Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #26
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
working with kids, it was always really hard to keep a straight face and be impartial when someone would say something like, "I heard about a guy who used to fuck cats," cause honestly that's bold and irreverently hilarious and deserves a homework pass or something.
Well that's good to know...perhaps she meant something other than my school work when she said she thought highly of my work haha

Old 10-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #27
redbreegull

I think a lot of adults truly become disconnected from, or just straight up forget what being a kid is actually like. I think we talked about this before but I always felt I had a pretty superior sense of empathy towards students than a lot of my coworkers.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #28
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The teacher tasked with telling me off for making a joke about Prince Charles' reproductive organ being purple because he dipped it in dye/Di ended up admitting to finding it funny and abruptly abandoned the talking-to.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #29
redbreegull

haha

Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #30
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I was asked to leave the room during my sixth grade sex ed class because of the jokes I made. The thing is that none of them were even sexual jokes. I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make my class laugh without resorting to obvious dick jokes. None of the jokes were funny in retrospect, but I'm still surprised they made my teacher so mad.

He asked for one of the changes that males go through during puberty, and I said "increasing muscle mass, so that they start looking less like Richard Simmons and start looking more like Tony Little." That was the final straw.