Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2002, 03:16 AM   #1
supersonic

Post Act 4 - 5 July 2002 - Ketamine

Hi there
Ketamine from South Africa will headline Act IV this year. Here are some links to Ketamine demos that were submitted to Act IV and Joe Shanahan of Metro:
Both songs were recorded live in the studio - no production...
"AVA ADORE"
http://www.ketamine.co.za/avaadore.mp3
"REFLECT IN YOU" (Written by Ketamine)
http://www.ketamine.co.za/reflectinyou.mp3
And, the 'Ghost Children' CD version of "Disarm"
http://www.ketamine.co.za/Ketamine_disarm.mp3
or you could visit our website at:
http://www.ketamine.co.za
Comments are always welcome...

Old 06-24-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
symbiosis

Question

oh. is this the band from last year with the vocalist that sounded like he was straining himself to try and sound like billy?

------------------

Old 06-24-2002, 02:38 PM   #3
pale_princess

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by symbiosis:
is this the band from last year with the vocalist that sounded like he was straining himself to try and sound like billy?

aren't they all like that?

Old 06-24-2002, 04:03 PM   #4
supersonic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by symbiosis:
oh. is this the band from last year with the vocalist that sounded like he was straining himself to try and sound like billy?

maybe if you put a little effort in and listened to the MP3s or looked at their website, you'd realise Ketamine have a female vocalist - so don't jump to conclusion http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif

Old 06-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #5
symbiosis

Quote:
Originally posted by supersonic:
maybe if you put a little effort in and listened to the MP3s or looked at their website, you'd realise Ketamine have a female vocalist - so don't jump to conclusion http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif
oh. THAT band. i remember them now.

Old 06-25-2002, 12:46 AM   #6
lily1only

I was expecting tribal music last year- and I was VERY disappointed. also..I really dislike the fact that the (female) vocalist of ketamine changed the lyrics of disarm to "I used to be a little girl.." that was lame and cliche.

Old 06-25-2002, 02:04 AM   #7
Jesse Miller

Thumbs down

Kinda poopy.

------------------
http://nintendoatlantis.homestead.co...SMB2_Awart.gif

Old 06-25-2002, 02:14 AM   #8
Smashing Corgan

Ketamine was the worst band last year by far. I could have gotten on stage at Metro with people I have never playeded with before and we would have cranked out better covers than that. That and Linsey Kuper were the only disappointments. The rest of the show was awesome. This tribute show will never be as good as the last one. The pumpkins vibe has also faded considerably since. The last one was only like 7 months after they called it quits, and people were still trying to get over it so it was nice at it worked. This will be a dissapointment, and will probably lead to no future Act 6 or whatever.

Old 06-25-2002, 05:06 AM   #9
supersonic

Quote:
Originally posted by lily1only:
I was expecting tribal music last year- and I was VERY disappointed. also..I really dislike the fact that the (female) vocalist of ketamine changed the lyrics of disarm to "I used to be a little girl.." that was lame and cliche.
well, maybe you shouldn't have such conditioned ideas and expectations - it's like us Africans expecting American bands to sound like American indian tribal music - hello? - is their anyboday there? - and getting uptight about lyrics calls for valium suppositories - the majority of people said that 'disarm' on the Ghost Children CD was the best track - so - you should download 'ava' and 'reflect in you' before you make comments - everything changes every day - maybe it's a good idea to explore more - for instance if you listened to U2's demos you'd think these guys would never make it and have a good chuckle about them - that was Ketamine's 2nd gig - Joe Shanahan (owner of Metro) chose the final line-up!!! - he also gave TSP their break...

Old 06-25-2002, 05:23 AM   #10
supersonic

Quote:
Originally posted by Smashing Corgan:
Ketamine was the worst band last year by far. I could have gotten on stage at Metro with people I have never playeded with before and we would have cranked out better covers than that. That and Linsey Kuper were the only disappointments. The rest of the show was awesome. This tribute show will never be as good as the last one. The pumpkins vibe has also faded considerably since. The last one was only like 7 months after they called it quits, and people were still trying to get over it so it was nice at it worked. This will be a dissapointment, and will probably lead to no future Act 6 or whatever.
Well, some hated them, some liked them - it's just odd that at the end of the day people are missing the point - it's a charity event that supports a cause to help sick children to have a little more - and at the same time it's an opportunity for TSP fans to not only to pay tribute to the greatest band ever, but get together and have some fun - it's only $12?

If people went to the act iv website and listened to the demos of the artists performing they'd be pleasantly surprised...

Old 06-25-2002, 05:43 AM   #11
DoctaSoma

Quote:
the majority of people said that 'disarm' on the Ghost Children CD was the best track
Moleasskiss was the best track by far on Ghost Children. I enjoy it more than the original. I thought disarm was ok, but I didn't like it as much as many of the other tracks. I think it is only right that she should sing the songs with the lyrics changed to a feminine perspective. On the ghost children disc when she sings 'I used to be a little boy' it just seems unnatural.

-Ben

Old 06-25-2002, 06:51 AM   #12
whiteSPider

Quote:
I could have gotten on stage at Metro with people I have never played with before
ha. exactly what i did and still opened up the show last year.

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
hella.

›‹{`;´}›‹

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

Old 06-25-2002, 10:18 AM   #13
sweet17

Thumbs down

Quote:
also..I really dislike the fact that ... ketamine changed the lyrics of disarm to "I used to be a little girl.." that was lame...
Errr. Actually, Billy sang it like that a handful of times.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:03 PM   #14
nelifex

Wink

Quote:
the majority of people said that 'disarm' on the Ghost Children CD was the best track
wrong! that'd be If There Is A God http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif

Old 06-28-2002, 12:03 AM   #15
Pmack

There's a lot of people in this thread that should be keeping the piehole closed.

Ketamine is an excellent band. And Disarm was far and away the best track in the Ghost Children CD. Nothing else was even in the same ballpark.

Supersonic -- do not let these pissants get you down. Yr. band moves mountains, and some of us can hear that.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:59 AM   #16
lily1only

Thumbs up

no, seriously though...last year was all about kill hannah. their cherub rock cover was amazing.

Old 06-28-2002, 05:47 AM   #17
supersonic

Quote:
Originally posted by nelifex:
wrong! that'd be If There Is A God http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif

Old 06-28-2002, 03:31 PM   #18
Smashing Corgan

Hey Pmack I'm entitled to own fucking opinion. They sucked as a live band, you dont have to agree. Darcy, Christophe, and Kill Hannah were a lot better

Old 06-28-2002, 05:26 PM   #19
Abandon

Thumbs up

I will attend.

Old 06-28-2002, 07:02 PM   #20
supersonic

Quote:
Hey Pmack I'm entitled to own fucking opinion. They sucked as a live band, you dont have to agree. Darcy, Christophe, and Kill Hannah were a lot better
So, are you going then?

Old 06-28-2002, 09:13 PM   #21
Pmack

Quote:
Hey Pmack I'm entitled to own fucking opinion.
You are also entitled to your opinion that the moon is made of green cheese. It doesn't make you any less of an idiot for having that opinion in the first place.

They may have sucked as a live band, but until you have the balls to form a band, play a single show and then fly to another country to play your second show, you should keep your mouth shut.

Maybe they still need to find their live legs, but the 'live demos' they posted are great-- the band has talent and skill.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:12 AM   #22
Smashing Corgan

Hmmm.... its funny you should say talent and skill because we are talking about covers here.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:19 AM   #23
Reyngel

I listened to the Ketamine Disarm cover. I like the piano part, but other than that, it's nothing really special. The one thing I don't like about it is the way she sings. There are times when she's annoying, like at the beginning with "and cut you like..," she says the word "cut" gay, like she's trying to sound cool or something. Bleah. It happens in other parts of the cover too. The sound quality of the recording is good, the drums are good, the piano is good, the guitars are alright, but her voice is kinda gay.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:23 AM   #24
darcy_is_sexy

i'll be there.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:28 AM   #25
Smashing Corgan

I've never seen someone get so defensive about a band that quite honestly is not worth the trouble of defending. If you like them, fine. And quit acting like your opinion is the common one. Everyone around me was yawning when they were playing last year. I just wasn't as impressed as with the other bands, its not that big of a deal. And as for your moon being made of green cheese analogy, well I won't even go there, I wont stoop to that level.

Old 06-30-2002, 10:02 AM   #26
supersonic

Quote:
Originally posted by Reyngel:
I listened to the Ketamine Disarm cover. I like the piano part, but other than that, it's nothing really special. The one thing I don't like about it is the way she sings. There are times when she's annoying, like at the beginning with "and cut you like..," she says the word "cut" gay, like she's trying to sound cool or something. Bleah. It happens in other parts of the cover too. The sound quality of the recording is good, the drums are good, the piano is good, the guitars are alright, but her voice is kinda gay.
well, what about 'ava', and 'reflect in you' (the original)? no excuses, 'disarm' was recorded after the band was together for 3 weeks with a session drummer and bassist...listen to the rest - lets keep talking...

Old 06-30-2002, 10:07 AM   #27
supersonic

Quote:
I've never seen someone get so defensive about a band that quite honestly is not worth the trouble of defending. If you like them, fine. And quit acting like your opinion is the common one. Everyone around me was yawning when they were playing last year. I just wasn't as impressed as with the other bands, its not that big of a deal. And as for your moon being made of green cheese analogy, well I won't even go there, I wont stoop to that level.
Well obviously bjørn thorsrud wasn't yawning eh? check out their website - news - it'll take you to 2002 - there you'll find a link to 2001 - BT interview...you never answered whether were going or not?

Old 06-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #28
Eulogy

Quote:
no, seriously though...last year was all about kill hannah. their cherub rock cover was amazing.
Oh yeah.

And D'arcy. Lost Logic and Ketamine were meh.

Robyn of course had the best of the acoustic sets. That other guy with the whiny voice was pretty good too...whatever his name was.

What was this thread about again?

Old 06-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #29
Reyngel

Quote:
well, what about 'ava', and 'reflect in you' (the original)? no excuses, 'disarm' was recorded after the band was together for 3 weeks with a session drummer and bassist...listen to the rest - lets keep talking...
Uh, I listened to Ava Adore, too, and the girl still sounds annoying, especially when she sings "lovely boy." It's not that I don't like the lyric change, it's that she sounds like she's trying to hard to sing well, and it sounds gay. The guitars aren't all that great in it, either... just kinda so-so. At least the Disarm sounds more creative.

Old 06-30-2002, 04:03 PM   #30
supersonic

Quote:
Originally posted by Reyngel:
Uh, I listened to Ava Adore, too, and the girl still sounds annoying, especially when she sings "lovely boy." It's not that I don't like the lyric change, it's that she sounds like she's trying to hard to sing well, and it sounds gay. The guitars aren't all that great in it, either... just kinda so-so. At least the Disarm sounds more creative.

Well, the last chance, for now, would be 'reflect in you' - you listened to that yet?