Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #181
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Dudes did u know this guy jellie knows fuckton of about music?? Subtle effects even

Old 08-26-2017, 02:24 AM   #182
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Gonna be the milquetoast moderate and suggest it's a mix of a few factors. When I saw him on the Plainsong tour in Toronto he had moments where the old voice crept through here and there, and I remember being kind of pleasantly surprised but there were dropped consonants throughout the night. He can't and won't ever sing the way he used to again.

This is also the guy who's got a history of doing multiple vocal takes, taking preferred snippets of syllables and blending them together to create the sound he wants. I don't doubt that what we hear on LPs is what he wants us to hear.

He could sound a bit closer to what we'd define as the classic voice. But he won't, partly because that's not what he wants to sound like and partially because he can't pull it off anymore.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #183
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
This is also the guy who's got a history of doing multiple vocal takes, taking preferred snippets of syllables and blending them together to create the sound he wants. I don't doubt that what we hear on LPs is what he wants us to hear.
Either that or he realizes that you can only polish a turd so much before you realize it's a turd.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #184
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
When I saw him on the Plainsong tour in Toronto he had moments where the old voice crept through here and there, and I remember being kind of pleasantly surprised but there were dropped consonants throughout the night. He can't and won't ever sing the way he used to again.

This vocal performance was pretty nice:

[best moment: 0:36]

Flashback:

Last edited by amoergosum : 08-26-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #185
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

I think James Iha should produce the next album

Old 08-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #186
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballzero View Post
LMAO
What's funny is, if you go back and read Corgan's Confessions, he talks about Rubin getting bored with the band doing endless take of "Let Me Give the World to You" and falling asleep on the sofa.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #187
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Let's dissect Billy's vocals on Pennies. Well, just the last line.

"Pennies for sale"

The "Pen-" is forced out of him, showcasing true emotion. Billy then uses his vibrato on "sale", but his voice is coming out harder and it's not so noticeable (plus the vocals are a lot lower in the mix).

This line is repeated and please note the lack of "lover". Billy will never sing like this again.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #188
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
The 'defense' here by reprise85 (and others have tried to give) that Billy sounds bad in the studio but good live is probably the most backasswards argument ever.
BINGO. When you hear shit live it's extremely loud and it's mixed in with the other sound sensations... Even the most washed-up singers could make for an enjoyable time in a live setting... Where the real talent shows up is on a recording and Billy just croaks away with the most grating vibrato ridden whines these days.

With that said..... I also hated the first lead single off the last album. I couldn't stand Worlds On Fire but actually came to like quite a few songs off of 'Monuments' (despite the poor vocal showing)... So I'm trying to stay positive... But I'm really not expecting much.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 08-26-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #189
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
yeah but he didn't add them, showing that he likes how it sounds without it
Good grief Reprise... He doesn't "like" how it sounds.... It's simply the best that he can fucking offer at his age.... Of course Billy Corgan is gonna whine and moan in the media about how he's "trying to sound like that" and that he thinks "it sounds great"...

Billy's never gonna come forward rationally to simply admit that he's struggling vocally due to his old age... Haven't you ever paid attention to Billy Corgan?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:04 AM   #190
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

He didn't add effects to his voice that would make it sound better. So he was happy without them. I'm not saying he "thinks it sounds great" (although he might), just that he clearly prefers it to be dry like that because he clearly could have made it less dry but decided not to.

I don't know how much clearer I can explain myself

Old 08-27-2017, 02:19 AM   #191
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Good grief Reprise... He doesn't "like" how it sounds.... It's simply the best that he can fucking offer at his age.... Of course Billy Corgan is gonna whine and moan in the media about how he's "trying to sound like that" and that he thinks "it sounds great"...
Billy's been trying to "make peace" with his voice since at least Adore.

Starting @ 5:18, these are Billy's words, not mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Patrick Corgan
I think I'm trying to make peace with a lot of things, you know, one of which is my voice. I don't sing as well as I would like to...

The sad thing is, despite how bad Billy's voice sounded in the 90s it sounded golden then compared to how it sounds now. :/

Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #192
Ram27
dumb

It didn't sound bad in the 90s though. Even though it wasn't technically proper, it conveyed tons of emotion, which is really the goal for an alt rock shoegaze band

it's the James Iha of voices

Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #193
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
It didn't sound bad in the 90s though. Even though it wasn't technically proper, it conveyed tons of emotion, which is really the goal for an alt rock shoegaze band

it's the James Iha of voices
The lack of quality of Billy's voice was sticking point in the 90s too. I remember knowing people from that era who felt and/or agreed that the Pumpkins would've been a stronger act if the group had a front man who could sing and Billy focused on just playing guitar/writing music (a la Pete Townshend or Tom Scholz).

Unfortunately his voice has only gotten worse over the years. I'm sure it's from a factor of age, sheer laziness, overconfidence and ego/surrounding himself with yes-men.

Billy and Dave Mustaine are really examples of how a guy doesn't need to be even a decent singer to front an amazingly successful rock band. It's really amazing how much success they've had as singers despite each lacking the ability to sing well.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #194
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
The lack of quality of Billy's voice was sticking point in the 90s too. I remember knowing people from that era who felt and/or agreed that the Pumpkins would've been a stronger act if the group had a front man who could sing and Billy focused on just playing guitar/writing music (a la Pete Townshend or Tom Scholz).
this is fucking stupid, tbh. Billy was the best vocalist for those songs and frankly the only one who should be singing them.

He had a mastery of "swapping roles" on stuff like Bullet or even Soma that few other big names from that period could have done. and even if they could have, they wouldn't have the personally-driven angst that drove those songs when Bill sang them anyway

these days though, i'd be more than happy to hear him write for another (preferrably female) singer. A full album of like, Natalie Imbruglia singing Corgan songs as some 20-years-later follow-up to Identify or something would probably be pretty sweet

Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #195
The machine of god
Pledge

To sort out his vocal performances Billy needs a producer who cares enough to be in tune with everything that made the 90s performances great.

Adore is a pretty stunningly performed record, huge conviction, accurate but emotive diction and use of the palette. But you listen to those performances and often he's barely rising above a whisper, there are lots of breaks, particularly in the lower register and lots of rough pronunciations but net effect is compelling. Which really was always his trick, heaps of air or lots of snarl and very little in-between.

Unfortunately, Rubin doesn't appear interesting in pushing Billy on this and Billy is clearly not interesting on pushing himself on it.

Age has nothing to do with it. He hasn't lost his voice. He isn't singing challenging parts (at least not on this new track) he's just not going for that tone. It's in there if he wants to access it but that's 99% of the trick.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #196
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The machine of god View Post
Unfortunately, Rubin doesn't appear interesting in pushing Billy on this and Billy is clearly not interesting on pushing himself on it.

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/20...8-14-13-am.png

Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #197
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I've read somewhere the Rubin wanted Billy to kind of sit down, play and sing his new songs with a "live" approach. I can't see how that could be a bad thing having in mind that almost every album Billy's recorded since Machina were destroyed by overproduction.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #198
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
this is fucking stupid, tbh. Billy was the best vocalist for those songs and frankly the only one who should be singing them.
A powerful, inflammatory statement followed by an interesting theory that ultimately holds no water.

Was Pete Townshend 'fucking stupid', as you put it, to have Roger Daltry sing a vast majority of his songs? Or Tom Scholtz? Was he 'fucking stupid' for having Brad Delp sing his songs?

I'm sure there are people out there who might thing they were 'fucking stupid' for doing so, but I'm also sure that there are a vast majority of people who feel that Townshend and Scholtz made the right choices.

Just think how amazing "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", "Muzzle" or "The Everlasting Gaze" would have sounded with a good vocalist... instead, we got Billy, with his whiny, weak and nasally voice and for some strange reason people want to celebrate that.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #199
Ram27
dumb

Billy was a good vocalist for those songs though. Music is not about technical ability so much as conveying emotion, and Billy did that incredibly

Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #200
ButtHash
Demi-God

Quote:
Just think how amazing "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", "Muzzle" or "The Everlasting Gaze" would have sounded with a good vocalist... instead, we got Billy, with his whiny, weak and nasally voice and for some strange reason people want to celebrate that.
Bruh....

Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #201
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Billy was a good vocalist for those songs though.
Dude, in what fucking universe?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #202
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
A powerful, inflammatory statement followed by an interesting theory that ultimately holds no water.

Was Pete Townshend 'fucking stupid', as you put it, to have Roger Daltry sing a vast majority of his songs? Or Tom Scholtz? Was he 'fucking stupid' for having Brad Delp sing his songs?

I'm sure there are people out there who might thing they were 'fucking stupid' for doing so, but I'm also sure that there are a vast majority of people who feel that Townshend and Scholtz made the right choices.

Lol jellys on a rampage fuck this bill music get him so fired up!!!!!

Old 08-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #203
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

It is not inflammatory to acknowledge that those songs are highly personal and the person who wrote them would likely have the most emotion invested in the songs and that would be conveyed in their voice. That would be true even no matter how terrible they sounded. Billy didn't sound terrible, but obviously not great. But his emotional connection to the songs is palpable

Old 08-29-2017, 05:22 AM   #204
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Patrick Corgan
I think I'm trying to make peace with a lot of things, you know, one of which is my voice. I don't sing as well as I would like to...
let's put the vocals way up front nonetheless! classic corgan reasoning

Old 08-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #205
SPLATTER
Demi-God

i haven't found anyone on social media excited by this song

Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #206
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

https://twitter.com/montelds?lang=en

Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #207
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
i haven't found anyone on social media excited by this song
I have not heard anyone even mention this song on social media.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #208
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I have not heard anyone even mention this song on social media.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH1yx5OWsAAboY5.jpg

Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #209
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

According to Strawberry's instagram he's shaved the beard.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #210
Ram27
dumb

absolutely groundbreaking