Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default Memorable experiences you had while listening to SP

I went on a road trip during spring break in high school. We drove for 7 hours down to Key West and stayed in a youth hostel for 3 days. We were cheap and had little money and managed to have a 4 day trip that cost about 80 bucks. not bad. We put on pisces on the way back. We were sun burnt, which produces its unique kind of fatigue, riding in my friend's '84 trans am with the windows down no A/C. It was about 5 o'clock when we were on US-1. The sun was out and bright. there's a way that time of day looks in florida when you're on the ocean. it probably looks this way in other places too the sun both beats down from the sky and reflects off the water, so it's especially bright and yellow sunlight.

then whir came on and immediately attached itself to that experience, and it was perfect.

that was the same week of Shock and Awe

Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
slunken
Virgo

my first car ride to school after getting my license i played for martha as loud as it could go. my first car was a 1963 bel-air

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-16257.jpeg

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

Listening to the Arising soundboard on the bus on the way to band camp, soundtracking the lead up to one of the most significant things I've done.

Also dat Hummer outro driving by myself for the first time.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
D.
Consume my pants.

Listening to my just purchased SD cassette on my Walkman circa '97; cherub rock on a specific part of I-70. I think of it every time I pass that area.

Locking my bedroom door and listening to by starlight and beautiful on repeat on the floor of my room. Had to lock the door always because I wasnt allowed rock music.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
antiskum
Demi-God

i watching music videos on a saturday morning when "today" came on. i ask my dad why that guy was wearing a dress and he told me not to worry and turned the tv off.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I fucked someone while listening to Hummer on repeat.
It is memorable to me...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
adamdanger!
Pledge

Kinda the same for me...

One night in my mid-twenties, I ran into my former high school teacher and ended up taking her back to my place for some bed wrestling. Siamese Dream happened to be in my stereo at the time. Her formerly athletic build had been molded by time and cheeseburgers to a voluptuous 250ish lbs and her massive breasts became increasingly distracting as they bounded to and fro. I proposed we switch to doggy style.

As I regained my composure, the opening sitar lines of Hummer started and she began moving her hips to the beat. That was when I noticed it. She had a giant tramp stamp.... of a Bavarian pretzel with wings. I drunkenly muttered something like, "Ummagumma, whoa, that'sa tattoo..." She asked if I liked it and told me it meant something about spreading peace and love. I was thoroughly confused and so distracted by the dancing edible effigythat I had to stop. Who decorates their body with with dough-based vittles?? It wasn't until the next morning that I finally realized it was actually a peace sign that had become grotesquely stretched out.

TL;DR: Hummer reminds me of sex and dancing pretzels

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Listening to the Arising soundboard on the bus on the way to band camp, soundtracking the lead up to one of the most significant things I've done.
band camp is one of the most significant things you've done? or what was?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
patj825
Pledge

I remember seeing the Pumpkins preform on SNL, while doing my homework (in high school). I thought, "who the hell is this tall, clean-cut guy in a 70s shirt?" And then the played Cherub Rock. And it was all over for me. I was in for good.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
bye june
Ownz

I had a 3rd shift job a year ago and I was going through a major depression, I was working in the middle of the night listening to "Behold! The Nightmare" and "Age of Innocence" and other SP songs and I got all tore up and walked out.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
T&T
Socialphobic

11yearold sleepover, staying up SUPER late to watch SNL in 1993 with SP performing
13yrold sitting in the back seat for 12 hours straight listening to pisces over and over
15yrold me watching viewphoria at friends house and then playing a guitar for the first time.
17yrold driving on my first road trip listening to adore driving in the fog..
19yrold first real job, spending HOURS on HOURS online instead of working doing machina mystery shit.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Starla

First time I ever heard sp..... I was fighting with my brother over something when today came on mtv, and we both stopped and looked at the tv.... and he was like "who's that cute girl in the dress?"

Old 04-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
my first car ride to school after getting my license i played for martha as loud as it could go. my first car was a 1963 bel-air

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-16257.jpeg
That's sweet...

My first car was a 1978 buick landau

Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
DeusExMachina
Pledge

When I was 12 my dad took my to the record store and I really wanted to get this Slipknot CD but my dad wouldn't let me so I begrudgingly got PI instead. Thanks, dad.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Stellar always reminds me of a very transitional period in my life a few years ago. Every time I hear it, it's like a burst of nostalgia.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

Follow as I lead (into the children's dept)

Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Follow as I lead (into the children's dept)
Come on you can do better than that.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
slunken
Virgo

I've been pressed for time lately

Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
The strongest memory I have is listening to 1979 in my 1985 Buick Century station waggon on a cassette my older sister gave me... in the rain, waiting for the light to change and realizing that this was a band I needed to explore more than just knowing of their existence and hearing their music for years. The year was 1996.
honest question are you referencing the story billy corgan told about writing 1979 about a mental snapshot of sitting at a stop light in the rain right before he got the pumpkins together or is it a coincidence

Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
slunken
Virgo

its no coincidence i can assure you

Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #21
adamdanger!
Pledge

I remember working in a record store and playing a riff on my acoustic guitar. I knew that its power and immediacy would be better suited to a loud, heavily distorted guitar. I gave it a misspelled title. Siva played over the store's sound system.

Last edited by adamdanger! : 04-22-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Fucking grammar

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #22
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

94 winter semester, late afternoon hours at school.
Arts class in a studio type room right under the roof, looking out through the skylights nothing but treetops, the studio cramped with sculptures, canvas and wooden workbenches. Seating order was different than in regular classes, you got a partner assigned to work on something together.
The boy seated with me had Siamese Dream on cassette and a mixtape with Pumpkins live. For a few months, once a week we'd sit next to each other for two hours, sharing the headphones of his walkman, one hand on the ear to prevent the plug from falling out, other hand drawing, listening to either Siamese Dream or the live tape.

That was pretty much the definition of sheer bliss for me in '94. I had an unhealthy crush on this boy, so I have no memory whatsoever of what project we actually worked on, but I remember that he always tapped his feet to Rocket, and gazed at me during Spaceboy.

MySPdiary-Ifeelnoshame.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I don't remember the first time I heard BWBW, but I believe it was on MTV and for the several months it was in heavy rotation I'd watch MTV just for that song and they had like a top-5 every day. That feeling of how amazing that song was to me at the time is something I've rarely experienced again, as corny as that sounds. It was like a entire part of my personality was awakened by hearing that song at that point in my life. But reall, whatever I was developing then (10 years old) coincided with it perfectly and I ran with it.

I remember my dad making me leave my first SP concert (@ 11 years old) because it was already like midnight on a school night and I told him I hated him.

Listening to Rocket over and over for weeks at one point while I was a teenager (13-14ish) while contemplating suicide that I did eventually try to commit.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #24
Starla

The first time I drove to the beach and saw the ocean, thru the eyes of ruby was playing.

I never have these nice musical synchronicities in my life anymore.... and my emotions attached to songs were so much stronger then. Maybe I'm dead inside.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #25
Starla

Which concert was that, Erica?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #26
Starla

Another nice memory... I was flying to SE for the first time... to check it out and meet some friends. I was listening to SD on my cd walkman... and had my cd book out looking through it when a guy across from me asked me what I was listening to. I gave him the walkman and let him listen for awhile, then he said he really liked it and would be picking up the cd for himself. After we landed, I gave him the cd.... I have no idea what his name was, where he's from..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #27
Starla

I just realized after reading through some of these stories... I've never gone out with someone who was into sp. Every guy I ever knew or went out with hated Billy Corgan and made fun of sp.. so I never talked much about it. I wore my Just say Maybe shirt to school once and got laughed at by the guys, and my boyfriend at the time told me it was stupid and not to wear it around him :/ assholes!

Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #28
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

concert was 11/17/96 miami fl

Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #29
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
I just realized after reading through some of these stories... I've never gone out with someone who was into sp. Every guy I ever knew or went out with hated Billy Corgan and made fun of sp.. so I never talked much about it. I wore my Just say Maybe shirt to school once and got laughed at by the guys, and my boyfriend at the time told me it was stupid and not to wear it around him :/ assholes!

also i've never had any girlfriends into SP; never bothered me too much. although B did go with me, my brother, and friend to see new pumpkins play a little radio sponsored event at sandstone in '10.