Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default Art Shay SP Photography?

What ever happened to Art Shay "documenting" TBK? Back in 2010 billy made an announcement.

http://hipstersunited.wordpress.com/...rgan-pumpkins/

Quote:
Billy Corgan has tapped legendary Chicago photographer Art Shay to chronicle him for the next three years, as the Smashing Pumpkins rocker completes 40 new songs.
http://chicagoist.com/upload/2011/10...HAYvault-1.jpg

Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

the guy probably quit after a few days.
or was fired after he asked billy to wear clothes that fit.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Art Shay:

Quote:
Oct 19, 2011

The rock star Billy Corgan has become a friend of Florence's and mine. As a Highland Park resident he started dropping into Titles, Inc. (my wife's bookstore) three or four years ago and Florence treated the tall, thin Smashing Pumpkins originator as what he was: a sort of intellectual interested in books, especially books of poetry. He shyly allowed that he had written a few poems, books and songs.

Florence befriended him and gradually I came to know him and something about his life. He said he feels his songs coming from a place like no other in himself and took the trouble to invite Florence and me to see how he composed in his secret, sacrosanct studio that looks like an electronic spaceship.

Sitting at a green harpsichord, he played and sang parts of his older songs and bits from his new Oceania for us, allowing for our non-comprehension of rock and roll. His titles intrigued us: "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," for example, and "Geek USA." Of course, there was "Pale Horse," "Lightning Strikes" and "Soma," too. All blended loudly - and softly - with the lyrics he composed on pieces of random paper.

He introduced us to gorgeous, long-legged Nicole Fiorentino, who strummed her bass guitar so well she brought smiles to Billy's lips in the midst of his own musical problems and flights of creativity. We gathered gradually that his father and grandfather had left him in Division Street bars from the age of four. He had always been a tall kid and had always liked the music in these places, from the voices of bartending whores to the stride piano blues of straw-hatted fancy men.

Guitarist Jeff Schroeder and I hit it off because he was an amateur photographer and could miraculously read Billy's mind, music-wise. Time and again he would pick up a rhythm or a phrase from something Billy played, or the recordist would copy, and bring it back until Billy approved. 21-year-old Mike Byrne, the drummer Billy had imported from Oregon, was a bundle of new energy. Greg Kot, the Trib's music maven, noted in his review of Corgan's sold-out Friday night concert at the Riviera, "Byrne was on the hot seat, as he replaced Jimmy Chamberlin - Corgan's longtime foil - in 2009. The 21-year-old drummer has touch, power and Fiorentino locked in with him, pushing her bass to the forefront of the band's engine room and chipping in with lots of harmony vocals."

Much of this was enjoyed by my son Richard, an old saxophone player, as was my friend and Billy fan Jeff Dembo, and I, all having gotten up to the balcony overlooking the mosh pit and the stage. A stage that had an indescribable variety of lights, moving and static, reds, greens, blues and pure whites, changing as Billy's mood and music changed. The crowd, jammed wall to wall, was with him all the way. Billy seemed to thrive on the energy going both ways in the big room: stage to people and fans to stage.

At this stage I still have to pick my favorite Corgan pictures, but I'll do it. About a year ago Billy read my Algren book in one sitting and hired me to document his next three years of creativity."Drop in when you can," were his only instructions.

Sometimes he comes over on Sunday mornings for lox and bagels.Sometimes he talks to little knots of young neighbors who can't imagine what Billy Corgan is doing in our 89-year-old lives. He came close to expressing it in a two line tweet: "I can't tell you how much pleasure it gives me to have you and Florence in my life."

When he heard that Mike Caplan was making a movie using my Algren pictures, he said, "I can't believe you didn't ask me to do the music." We asked him and he agreed to
do it as a freebie. On camera he spoke for 15 minutes on the influence of Algren's work on his music.

On his current tour of 50 cities, Milwaukee, Chicago and Washington are sold out. Paris and Stockholm are coming along...
Source:
http://chicagoist.com/2011/10/19/fro..._f.php#photo-1

Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'm guess that "the project" of documenting TBK wound up the same way that TBK did

Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Art Shay:

Quote:
Jul 25, 2013

From the Vault Of Art Shay: Monkeyshines

(Legendary Chicago-based photographer Art Shay has taken photos of kings, queens, celebrities and the common man in a 60-year career. This week, Art shows photos taken by him and Billy Corgan 50 years apart are connected.)

Billy Corgan is on a multi-city European tour and the other day—using his phone or slightly more facile Leica digital—he sent me this seemingly simple snapshot of a suburban Paris hotel, the Belfort, bearing the proud sign: "Residence of Jean-Paul Sartre."

Billy's mind on the camera is almost as talented as it is on one of his keyboards or guitars. He also has a great memory. In a minute I figured out that he had remembered a sexy story I told him about my pal, Chicago novelist Nelson Algren or at least the story Algren's lover, Simone de Beauvoir told him about her lifetime companion, Sartre, acknowledged by the super smarts of the world as having the best male mind in the world in the 500 years since Shakespeare. The best female mind is still up for grabs, but could have been Simone's. When both of them were 21, the story goes, his Sorbonne IQ score was a few points higher than her's. (Or was that a smart lady's tactic to please a new lover-mentor?)

Which brings us to the tale of the monkey: You are looking at a weird animal picture. It shows a year-old bonnet monkey flying through the sunset air, half into a big monkey cage at Brookfield Zoo shot with a 135mm Hektor lens on a rangefinder Leica.

So? In those days I worked so many days at the Zoo that director Robert Bean named “a waist-deep mud slough” after me—The Art Shay Life Magazine Slough. It was behind the herpetology haunts of snake man Robert Snedigar, who guided me through photographing the short-lived egg teeth of king snakes story. I asked Snedigar how snake vision compared to human vision. His answer: "I've been a herpetologist 30 years and I've never seen a snake wearing eyeglasses." The kind of quote they wouldn't let me pass on to Life readers out of a slithery rectitude that Eve would have understood on an Edens bypath.)

So both Algren and de Beauvoir admired my strange picture of the monkey giving up the freedom to live outside the cage for a life safely behind bars . Inside were all the benefits of captivity—a kind of grudgingly erratic health care, warmth and high-caloric food. Living outside the cage involved fighting cats and dogs and evading kids with sticks and baseball bats, and of course furriers. Monkey fur coats were big . My mother wore one.

Snedigar explained all this to me pointing out that the bonnet monkey's skull or at least its fontanelle, grew quickly until it was a year old- and suddenly became too big for the bars. It would have to make a choice—live inside or outside the cage. My picture depicted a moment of truth in the life of one bonnet monkey. She chose to live inside the cage. He sneakily (if not snakily) delayed telling me the above, saying, "It happens all the time."

Algren and Simone discussed the philosophy behind this with much laughter. Then de Beauvoir sent the picture to Sartre who, for a while at least, hung it on the wall of his apartment (in the building in Billy Corgan's picture!) in which Simone would edit his plays and tracts while he would go out chasing young girls to "cuddle," her exact phrase for his Gallic Weinerizing. But Sartre, according to Nelson, added a caption: commentary in which he accused Simone of being like the monkey, battening on the goodies Sartre's royalties provided! It drew tears.

But it would be several years before Madame's earnings would exceed his with The Second Sex which Nelson encouraged and did some American research for. It became an international best-seller… still is. She never went hungry again and jealously bad-mouthed Sartre's minuscule love life as long as it lasted. While she proudly wrote that it was Algren, her New World savage, who provided her first, then serial orgasms.

It was at this time that Simone famously deprecated Jean-Paul's love life such as it wasn't, saying, "he would fall in love with any woman who put her tongue up his ass."

This was one of the quotes I passed on to author Thomas Dyja, who used it recently in his superb, controversial The Third Coast. (Which ,in November, will win Dyja the Tribune's non-fiction Book of the Year Award, the Heartland Prize.)

As Studs used to say and I delight in re-quoting him a lot, "It's all connected, Nels, ain't it?"
Source:
http://chicagoist.com/2013/07/25/fro...y_monkeysh.php

Old 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Art Shay:

Quote:
“Billy [Corgan, the musician] rarely has guests in his studio. I usually went to photograph him and one day he invited Florence. While he was composing on his ancient harpsichord, Florence picked up the beat and for 15 minutes had the unique experience of dancing to new music. Billy sang at her funeral in August 2012.”
http://chicago-images.dashdigital.co...ctratio=1.0848

Source:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...rough-A-Leica/

Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Interview with Billy >>>

Quote:
Sep 13, 2012

We'll start off with Art Shay. He's actually a contributor for us at Chicagoist—he does a weekly post with his old photos and tells stories and stuff. Ohhh so you're connected...

So last week his post was about [his late wife] Florence and in it he referred to her as a substitute mother for you. Is that how you saw her? Yeah, she definitely kind of took that role in my life. More like a Grande Dame. Someone I would listen to and be willing to contemplate the wisdom of what she was saying to me. She would be very vociferous about who I should be dating, not dating.

She seemed very young for 90. There's a photo of you playing piano that Art took and she's dancing next to you. It's really nice. You know the funny thing about Florence is that I met her almost ten years ago and up until she got ill, I thought she was in her mid-60s. I had her pegged for 20 years younger than she actually was. She looked so good and her spirit was like a 65-year-old person. I was so shocked when I found out that she was near-90 you could have picked my jaw up off the floor.

What first connected you to the Shays? Well Florence had this bookshop and when I moved up here to Highland Park, I just wandered in one day. She was the type of person, she'd sort of peg you a certain way and when you bought books that didn't match the way she pegged you she'd start asking you questions. So invariably that led to, "What do you do?" Of course, I figured most people 60 plus don't know of the band or they may have heard of it because their grandkid listens to the band. She had no idea. And so it wasn't probably until three or four visits in—I'd stop in every four months or sixth months—she must have talked to somebody in the family and said, "You never told me you were a big star!" [laughs] She just thought I was some local musician.
http://gothamist.com/attachments/art...rence0912.jpeg

Source:
http://gothamist.com/2012/09/13/bill..._interview.php

Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy with Art & Florence Shay >>>

http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad....06ecc3f970b-pi

Source:
http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad.com/artshay/

Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Bread Regal
Banned

thats kind of sweet.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
T&T
Socialphobic

is all of this stuff new and fabricated to build up billy's new persona?
no more heel, he's now a nice guy.
it's the 'nice guy era' already.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

he's a nice guy to Art!