Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Default 93XRT: Billy Corgan Tells Us His David Bowie Stories

not sure if this had been posted already: http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2014/12/05/...bowie-stories/

Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

It's nice how excited he sounds to talk about him. Recently he's sounded bored in interviews.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
dodoz
Demi-God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSxuW6sNhCA

The first time that they've met, I believe. They totally own this guy
Bowie had introduced the band as, if I remember correctly, "one of the most creative and exciting bands at the moment...The fantastic Smashing Pumpkins !"which made Billy smile (who wouldn't...).

Old 12-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I love bowie and I like hearing billy talk about how amazing bowie is, however billy always has this way of praising artist in the context of praising himself.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
billy always has this way of praising artist in the context of praising himself.
Always. In a recent interview the writer even made note of how Billy compared himself to three great legends in just one sentence.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

yeah that bugged me too but i used to it now.

Although i don't think you know, saying that SP was trying to do like the beatles or Bowie and not be pigeonholed an tyr to move forward equals him saying i am as great as the beatles or bowie. I see it more as striving to be that kind of artist, to be as good. To Billy's credit, whatever he did, he did it mainly by himself. Beatles were a bunch of guys writing songs, and Bowie works with people.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSxuW6sNhCA

The first time that they've met, I believe. They totally own this guy
Bowie had introduced the band as, if I remember correctly, "one of the most creative and exciting bands at the moment...The fantastic Smashing Pumpkins !"which made Billy smile (who wouldn't...).

eurgh....translating in real time really? I'm guessing the show was live. Record it beforehand and then write subtitles. This interviewing style fucking blows. Musique Plus here did that all the time in the 90's but at least to their credit they would pause and then translate in a block the whole answer as opposed to this guy just basically switching back and forth in the middle of a sentence, surely confusing the guests. Horrible host.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
To Billy's credit, whatever he did, he did it mainly by himself. Beatles were a bunch of guys writing songs, and Bowie works with people.
What? Do you know anything about the Beatles? They were each strong song writers in their own right, with Lennon and McCartney (mainly individually) writing most of their best material.

And Bowie wrote all of his own songs as well, everything is credited to him. Albeit Mick Ronson was a great early collaborator, but I think Low is probably his best album and Ronson wasn't even a part of that.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Ya, that was just a wow statement to make.

Also, the praise he gives himself through others is not when he talks about sp trying to do what the beatles or bowie did. It is the stuff that commends artists on without directly talking about himself is what I am talking about. It is corganese.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Elphenor
Braindead

I feel like Corgan deserves that kind of credit sometimes though and he doesn't get it. Normally he gets put as just another 90's band when I think while he's certainly not as important to Rock, 90's Corgan was penning songs as good as Lennon and Bowie

Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
90's Corgan was penning songs as good as Lennon and Bowie
I love SP and Billy is extremely talented…but no.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Elphenor
Braindead

I mean, I'm a huge Lennon fan and I love Bowie but I do believe SD and MCIS are albums that are on par with anything The Beatles or Bowie recorded

Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I just have to disagree. They are no doubt fantastic albums (although I think MCIS is far from perfect) but Bowie and the Beatles were innovators and have a massive body of work that exemplifies how talented they truly are/were. Bowie and the Beatles are excellent songwriters and musicians, I just don't think Billy is quite in that stratosphere but he's certainly one of the better ones.

I used to think that Billy was being unfairly maligned, and in some cases he is, but I think it's really quite exaggerated as well (some of which is his own doing). One of the problems Billy has is that he expects to be lauded for everything he does (even for his interests outside of music) and then constantly whines about how unfairly he is being treated. It's one thing to want to try something new, and more power to him, but most people aren't going to treat him like an infallible genius. Hell, even David Bowie was treated like a pariah in the late 80s.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Elphenor
Braindead

No doubt they're far more important and you could for sure make the argument that the only reason Billy was able to write songs so well was because his foundation came from Lennon and Bowie but still at the end of the day I think MCIS is the greatest album ever

Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh god, i am gonna barf.

Araneae is right, fyi.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I just have to disagree. They are no doubt fantastic albums (although I think MCIS is far from perfect) but Bowie and the Beatles were innovators and have a massive body of work that exemplifies how talented they truly are/were. Bowie and the Beatles are excellent songwriters and musicians, I just don't think Billy is quite in that stratosphere but he's certainly one of the better ones.

I used to think that Billy was being unfairly maligned, and in some cases he is, but I think it's really quite exaggerated as well (some of which is his own doing). One of the problems Billy has is that he expects to be lauded for everything he does (even for his interests outside of music) and then constantly whines about how unfairly he is being treated. It's one thing to want to try something new, and more power to him, but most people aren't going to treat him like an infallible genius. Hell, even David Bowie was treated like a pariah in the late 80s.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
Elphenor
Braindead

Well yeah he's technically right

Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Elphenor
Braindead

But can I geek out on an SP board?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
T&T
Socialphobic

will someone remind billy that james cowrote the best SP songs.
soma & mayo

Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #20
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

I dug it.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
however billy always has this way of praising artist in the context of praising himself.
so tru

Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Soma and mayo are not the best sp songs. Really good ones though. Also, from that french interview I saw today I think he gets now that the people around him really make him better or worse.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
What? Do you know anything about the Beatles? They were each strong song writers in their own right, with Lennon and McCartney (mainly individually) writing most of their best material.

And Bowie wrote all of his own songs as well, everything is credited to him. Albeit Mick Ronson was a great early collaborator, but I think Low is probably his best album and Ronson wasn't even a part of that.

Of course the beatles were strong writers individually, but that's the whole point, put three strong writers in one band and you'll have an amazing output. Corgan never had anyone to turn to if the inspiration wasn't striking him.

As for Bowie being credited with writing all the songs, that is true but he didn't do the arrangements. Its not like he wrote all the basslines and guitar lines (whereas aside from the drums, i believe Corgan mainly did all this), and he DOES have cowriting credits on some songs (and despite the fact that man who sold the world is listed as all tracks written by him, factually it was a band effort). I'm in no way diminishing his talent (or the beatles), that wasn't what i was saying at all. Of course he's a great composer.

in fact, i would say that IF Corgan had been willing to let others have some control and had collaborated more, he might have had a better output. Because clearly i don't think that his output is worth that of the beatles or Bowie.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
slunken
Virgo

The biggest difference between Corgan and classic legendary songwriters is that they were not afraid unbox themselves and not create one specific style of music which for the most part Billy never did too much of. He tried but always retreated. He seems afraid to put himself out there fully.

If Billy wants to compare himself to Lennon he should be making Imagine or Lennon/Plastic Ono Band type records and but he's still peppering his discs with the traditional sound and name. Bowie? Give me a break dude. He's much more white trash than that.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
Elphenor
Braindead

There's a huge amount of diversity in Billy's material though

Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #26
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

definitely

i get more, personally, out of sd, micis, adore than any of bowie or beatles material by this point, but the thing he said about bowie's later at the end seems to be the very thing he's avoided since the reunion

that's not a slight to him though, it's been pretty entertaining and i wouldn't really protest for that from corgan or the "brand"

Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #27
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Beatles and Bowie are great, but I don't see why they're held up as some untouchable demi-gods that nobody can compare to just because their music is 40-50 years old. Their music was modern at one time and good in the modern context. So why can't SP be just as good in their own modern context? Siamese Dream and MCIS are works on the same level as anything Beatles and Bowie did. I'd also put Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin above Bowie. Bowie's discography is really patchy. Ziggy Stardust is great, but I view Bowie as more of a singles artist. Heroes and Scary Monsters were good albums too, but a lot of it was just avant garde dicking around with Brian Eno.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #28
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I just threw up in my mouth after reading that post. I can't even begin to explain the ignorance.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #29
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

at least you've kept consistent in not actually explaining why you're "throwing up" so much

aside from the jimi hendrix, etc. > bowie thing, which is simply a matter of opinion, practically everything else he just said is exactly right. holding up artists to the venerable, unfuckwithable standards the beatles have been on for the past nearly 60 years is fucking stupid, and if someone wants to challenge that, good for them.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:39 AM   #30
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The ignorance of what? That I think Bowie is overrated and there are better bands than him? If you're that ruffled by someones opinion you must not be very secure in your own convictions. I like the guy, I just think his work is uneven and inconsistent.