Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

black beans
kidney beans
corn
ground turkey
onion/garlic/olive oil
tomato sauce
diced tomato
beef bullion (well, "better than bullion") went in the pot with the macaroni to cook it, it all got absorbed/cooked out
cheddar cheese

misc:
flour
chili powder

Old 08-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #34
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i made some breakfast bowls. i had some kidney beans and a little corn left over so i kinda worked around them. potatoes, beans, corn, salsa, eggs, cheddar cheese. a little weird. but pretty good. I give them a B. i have enough for about 6 meals. they cost maybe $5 total, including the one time paprika cost (99 cents, thanks aldi)

Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #35
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Not sure what's gotten into me, but I all of a sudden got an urge to start preparing food that takes more than 5 minutes. Nothing too challenging or that requires a million spices that cost $5 each (1 or 2 is ok). So last night I prepared oatmeal with plain yogurt and blueberries, left overnight in the fridge. How come I never knew you could make oatmeal this way? Super good.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up what I need for these:
Mushroom Spinach and Swiss French Bread Pizzas

One Pot Chili Pasta

Part of it is because I need to stop eating our as much because I'm way too fat and also poor. But another part of it just sort of clicked in my brain and I was like... fuck yeah, I want to cook! I dunno.

I like that site because it tells you exactly how much each thing costs to make and suggests variations. Like I might just use cheddar on those pizzas instead of buying swiss cheese, or whatever I decide to use in the chili. And for the chili, I have canned corn and ground turkey, so I will use those.

Anyone have suggestions or want to share what they've been cooking?
I have little time to cook... some days I'm really dragging at the end of the day. My recent blood work shows my A1c is edging up and I'm reaching pre-diabetes, which is my fault because I stopped eating healthy the way I used to... been doing a lot of this on my busiest days http://www.iseeidoimake.com/no-proce...k-pot-recipes/ I'm not a crock pot fan but it really helps me have something ready and it's healthier than what I was having. I've also focused on eating mainly meats and veggies... we have some complex carbs and emptied out the place of crap. A. gets some desserts now and then but I'm trying to make them desserts I make from scratch.

I prefer grilling or baking... so on weekends I do that... but yeah since starting this I've dropped 7 lbs and my jeans have become a little looser. The doctor told me to do a brisk walk every day for 30 min... so I may get the treadmill out of storage for winter.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #36
Starla

Sunday i threw a couple of chicken breasts into a baking dish with red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, braggs seasoning and drizzled olive oil all over it, covered it in foil and in 3 1/2 hours we had the best supper ever. I made some green beans with a bit of butter (we do real butter) and stir fried some mushrooms. I've cut back on a lot of bread for myself. I always had to have garlic bread or some kind of roll with my meals and I think doing that has made a huge difference, even with my energy level.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #37
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

cool starla. im hoping i lose some weight this way. i should, i was eating complete crap for the past year or so.

im sure i will get diabetes soon if i dont fix the way i'm eating. ive actually been avoiding getting bloodwork done, though thats a shitty way to deal with it. i have what i have regardless of if has been measured or not. in a few weeks i have another checkup and ill get a referral to get bloodwork.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #38
Starla

I self tested with a monitor (finger stick) in the office.. and it was 144... a couple hours after eating so i got worried and had an A1c done. :[ Like I said it's so hard to give up all the bread I was eating... but I had no idea it was making me feel so shitty and tired until I ate less. I haven't given it up totally but just not having it every single day. I have a friend that went on paleo and lost a lot very quickly but I can't totally go without carbs or I will lose my mind.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #39
bignothing
Demi-God

I go through phases when I just don't want to cook and basically live on soda and chocolate. Not enough to make me gain too much weight (though it's definitely happening right now), but pretty dangerous for my health. I religiously drink apple cider vinegar though, which supposedly helps/thins your blood, so no diabetes for me?

Normally I really enjoy cooking, but nothing tastes good lately. Maybe I need to try something different, idk.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

Tell me more about drinking apple cider vinegar

Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #41
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

my granny drank apple cider vinegar and put olive oil in her hair. or she used beer. or mayonnaise.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #42
yo soy el mejor

i like a warm cup of water with cayenne pepper, lemon, and honey in the morning.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #43
yo soy el mejor

i been eatin' like crazy, but not going to the gym much.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #44
yo soy el mejor

afk gone liftin'

Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #45
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I made shredded kale & carrot with almond butter dressing the other night. It was quite different taint. I'm trying to introduce more variety and healthier meals into my kids ' diet as we as my own, and a friend gave me a vegan cookbook a whole ago called Crazy Sexy Kitchen so it's a starting place for me.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #46
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

You fed your kids taint? Very progressive of you.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #47
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Oh sorry, I get sick of editing whole using swype so I just don't bother a lot of the time... I don't even know what I was trying to type then. Maybe quite different tasting...

Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #48
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Tell me more about drinking apple cider vinegar
Someone told me it was supposed to be good for you.. so i tried some and I think it did irreversible damage on my esophagus.. that shit burns.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #49
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i made curried chickpeas with spinach today. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/12/c...kpeas-spinach/

it's good but i just dont think chickpeas are my jam. i still have like 4 servings of it but i dont think i'll make it again.

imma make this pasta dish http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/07/c...spinach-pasta/ and/or make the one pot chili again this week. that shit was amazing.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #50
vixnix
Socialphobic

It was my 10 year old's birthday on Sunday but his school band was performing in the NSW school bands festival at UNSW. So I made 24 iced cupcakes and a double batch of brownies for him to hand out. Then another 24 iced cupcakes and 24 muffins for him to take to school. Two very late nights adorning the cupcakes with sour gummies.

Might make that chickpea curry tonight, my 6 year old has decided he wants to be vegetarian again so we are trying out a vegetarian diet for a week to see how we go. He asked last night what we would have for dinner tonight and I said chickpea curry, so it's like fate or something!!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:26 AM   #51
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

indeed!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #52
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Tomato soup with roasted garlic. Just tomatoes (canned), basil, roasted garlic, and broth cooked and blended up. I also added some coconut milk to mine

Old 08-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #53
hnibos
Braindead

That sounds delicious. Tomato basil is my favorite soup.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #54
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I can vouch for it being very delicious as well as cheap/healthy

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #55
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i made this pasta dish w/ mushrooms instead of spinach. Solid A. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/07/c...spinach-pasta/

Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #56
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i made curried chickpeas with spinach today. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/12/c...kpeas-spinach/

it's good but i just dont think chickpeas are my jam. i still have like 4 servings of it but i dont think i'll make it again.
this is essentially my everyday lunch. i make a big batch every sunday. fucking love garbanzo beans.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #57
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

this is lke a facebook feed without pics

Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #58
yo soy el mejor

i made falafel mix with dry chickpeas (soaked 24 hours), onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, salt & pepp all ground up in the food processor. would have been easier with a meat grinder. the mix smells great.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #59
buzzard
Minion of Satan

One thing that frustrates me when following recipes for things I've never made is that temperature guides rarely provide any information as to whether they're for conventional or convection ovens. What tends to be the standard, if there is one, for American households?

I'd rather not char this pie I've bought ingredients for.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #60
ilikeplanets
Braindead

most ovens i've seen around here are conventional. what kind of pie are you making??