Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #31
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I don't think submarine designers settle for taping a bunch of iPhone 4s to the hull, if that's where you're taking this.

Like, you seriously cannot be suggesting that cellphones are natively capable of sonar imaging.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #32
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Plot holes in the third one really bothered me, though. They were of the sort that force me to dock marks from a movie.

The first one also has a glaring issue, even though I love the rest of it. When Bruce Wayne refuses to kill the caged prisoner as part of the League's initiation rite, and elects to burn down the temple instead… what happens to the prisoner? Is he still stuck there in that cage? So, he burns alive anyway? Even though Wayne started that fire specifically in defiance of the League's execution of the prisoner?

It bothers me, because all that was needed to fix this is a quick shot of the prisoner being like "time to skedaddle!" as Wayne fought ninjas, so that we'd know he actually saved him. Otherwise, Wayne refuses to murder a prisoner, so he murdered him instead.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #33
buzzard
Minion of Satan

In other words, being a geek and making a film with love does not necessarily mean it'll make genuine sense to an audience that is able to watch and think simultaneously?

Not to confuse Marvel with DC, that is. It's hard, though.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #34
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I don't think submarine designers settle for taping a bunch of iPhone 4s to the hull, if that's where you're taking this.

Like, you seriously cannot be suggesting that cellphones are natively capable of sonar imaging.
I asked the NSA, and they told me "no."

Then they asked me if I installed the latest Android update yet.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #35
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's probably going to happen sooner or later, but I remain confident that InfoWars listeners will be able to find shelter in smartphones from 2008.

Not to turn this into an axe-grinding marathon or anything, but it was totally something you could shrug off if it had been what allowed Batman to correctly guide a panicked citizen to the nearest public bathroom in the 53rd minute. To have it swoop in just in time to determine the outcome of the film's climax, however?

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #36
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'd like to determine the outcome of your father's clmax!!

BINGO BAGGINS!!!

Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #37
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I guess it's a bit like those gigantic birds in Return of the King, eh.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:26 AM   #38
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
In other words, being a geek and making a film with love does not necessarily mean it'll make genuine sense to an audience that is able to watch and think simultaneously?

Not to confuse Marvel with DC, that is. It's hard, though.
I'm not saying that the filmmakers' care for their work precludes them from having any logical inconsistencies, or even plot holes. I'm just saying that the Marvel guys would probably care enough about the X-Men and how they fit into the world they've built that they wouldn't just toss them in as an afterthought.

Quote:
It's probably going to happen sooner or later, but I remain confident that InfoWars listeners will be able to find shelter in smartphones from 2008.

Not to turn this into an axe-grinding marathon or anything, but it was totally something you could shrug off if it had been what allowed Batman to correctly guide a panicked citizen to the nearest public bathroom in the 53rd minute. To have it swoop in just in time to determine the outcome of the film's climax, however?
If I remember correctly, there's a point in the film where Fox asks Wayne about a telecommunications project that he didn't know about, and Wayne replies that he's "playing this one pretty close to the chest." So, they do foreshadow that Wayne is working on appropriating Fox's sonar thing early in the film, it doesn't just come out of nowhere.

As for the plausibility of cellphones being used for sonar, my understanding is, you take control of the speaker and microphone to send out and record high-pitched sounds, and sure, why not. One could argue about the frequency ranges cellphones are capable of emitting sound in, or the the polar patterns of their microphones not allowing one enough information to create a 3D map, but fudging the exact specs of a cellphone seems to me to be acceptable artistic license. It's not much less realistic than, say, Batman's grappling gun (which, in real life, would be impractically large and heavy, would only latch onto desired targets by sheer luck if at all, and would pull out the arm of any user trying to ascend a building by retracting the line). I mean, it's fiction.

I may be remembering this wrong, but when Batman isolates The Joker's location, I don't even think it's through the sonar imaging. I think they just catch his voice over the commandeered microphone, and use the location of the cellphone that recorded him to find him. I'm willing to accept this could happen if Chloe Mendel wasn't around to instruct The Joker's men to leave their phones on airplane mode.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 AM   #39
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Speaking of Batman on film these days, Ben Affleck has the look in his eye of a man seriously considering faking his death in order to escape a six-picture deal.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...358732ebe2.jpg

Old 12-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #40
Disco King
Minion of Satan

JustENDMYLIFE League.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #41
buzzard
Minion of Satan

You could definitely argue (or immediately think to yourself while trying to enjoy a movie) that frequency ranges are going to be an issue when one could reasonably expect a healthy pair of human ears to do a better job than a decade-old smartphone, in addition to which is the fact that the hardware in question continues to be designed around noise-cancellation that would work quite directly against any sort of sonar mapping application. Batman would have had better luck just squinting into the dark.

The grappling hook, ridiculous as though it may be is effectively an extension of the character itself and could surely be filed under the list of devices you've accepted in advance with the act of booking seats at a Batman movie. I don't think it'd be fair to equate this to an entirely arbitrary plot turn that conveniently granted an instant resolution to what was first presented as an insurmountable disadvantage and cleared the way for the character's success. It's like you're now trying to compare the fact that Superman doesn't cave Lois Lane's face in when he kisses her to when Antonio Banderas became conversationally competent in Old Norse from sitting around a campfire with vikings for a couple of weeks. That said, you've raised a fair enough point insofar as you have highlighted a pick-and-choose element to the suspension of disbelief, but it's at least as reasonable to scoff mid-film at a blatantly impossible deus ex machina as it is to give it an unthinking pass because you're just not as naturally inclined towards cynicism (and therefore don't see it as lazy writing that doesn't respect the audience because it's one thing to touch on the topical issue of digital surveillance and another to think of a smart way of doing that).

Do you really believe the inexplicable absence of a certain group of mutants from a fictional civil rights movement in an action franchise to be any harder a pill to swallow for audiences than anything else we've touched upon? That was my original point, after all.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #42
buzzard
Minion of Satan

P.S. This is a ridiculous conversation to be having and I feel like I've trolled myself.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #43
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Plot holes in the third one really bothered me, though. They were of the sort that force me to dock marks from a movie.

The first one also has a glaring issue, even though I love the rest of it. When Bruce Wayne refuses to kill the caged prisoner as part of the League's initiation rite, and elects to burn down the temple instead… what happens to the prisoner? Is he still stuck there in that cage? So, he burns alive anyway? Even though Wayne started that fire specifically in defiance of the League's execution of the prisoner?

It bothers me, because all that was needed to fix this is a quick shot of the prisoner being like "time to skedaddle!" as Wayne fought ninjas, so that we'd know he actually saved him. Otherwise, Wayne refuses to murder a prisoner, so he murdered him instead.
It's been a couple of years since I watched it, but did he actually set fire to the temple on purpose?

Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #44
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Disney is the Illuminati.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lLYqsuvvioc/maxresdefault.jpg

Old 12-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #45
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Speaking of Batman on film these days, Ben Affleck has the look in his eye of a man seriously considering faking his death in order to escape a six-picture deal.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...358732ebe2.jpg