Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #1831
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Die for me.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #1832
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 01-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #1833
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

“Hey Bill it’s 2020 and you’ve been talking about reissuing Machina for 10 years, you gonna put it out for the 20th anniversary right?”

“Not sure, working on 24 pieces of complete shit and then restarting my xmas album, see you at the launch of Zuzu’s pt2, where you can buy my wrestling memoir, ps. vote Trump, don’t be a sheep, why does no-one buy my records, I’m a genius, pls book me again Howard Stern.”

Old 01-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #1834
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
“Not sure, working on 24 pieces of complete shit and then restarting my xmas album, see you at the launch of Zuzu’s pt2, where you can buy my wrestling memoir, ps. vote Trump, don’t be a sheep, why does no-one buy my records, I’m a genius, pls book me again Howard Stern.”

Old 01-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #1835
Bremang
Pledge

this is becoming chinese democracy levels of cock tease for fucks sake

Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 AM   #1836
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The Machina reissue has become a Sad Machine...

Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 AM   #1837
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremang View Post
this is becoming chinese democracy levels of cock tease for fucks sake
yeah except that actually got released eventually

no faith this will

Old 01-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #1838
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You need an Instagram account (maybe that's obvious), and then in his Stories he will post a little text box you can put your questions in, usually late at night his time, I think

I've only caught it once or twice; he can delete the text box when he's sick of us, and I don't think he keeps it open very long
he avoids a lot of questions. he ignored my more technical questions but had time to tell fans of 90s material to go fuck themselves. billy is a PR king.

but then again, maybe he thought i'm asking about eurorack to make fun of him for the siddharta release. which, to his credit, would eventually lead to that somehow.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #1839
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
“Hey Bill it’s 2020 and you’ve been talking about reissuing Machina for 10 years, you gonna put it out for the 20th anniversary right?”

Old 01-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #1840
ilikeplanets
Braindead

This total lack of completeness is really generating some OCD for me at this point

Old 01-10-2020, 02:51 AM   #1841
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Once this reissue is out, I can officially be done with this band. Maybe others are like me, and that's why it will never happen...

Old 01-10-2020, 04:55 AM   #1842
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Once this reissue is out, I can officially be done with this band. Maybe others are like me, and that's why it will never happen...
i suspect too that this is the real reason why Billy hasn't released it.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #1843
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
This has gotta be it.

He also plays it both ways. If we keep asking about it, he chastises us about caring more about the old stuff than him evolving as an artist with the new stuff. If we never ask about it, he goats us about how it was supposedly something everyone wanted, but no one even cares anymore. By not releasing it, he can continue berating us as an excuse for if things in the current Pumpkins state don’t go the way he’d like.

He often needs to control the narrative to suit his insecure need to always feel right and justified about pretty much everything in his life. But I guess that’s kind of the symptoms of someone who wasn’t allowed to have a voice during his entire childhood. And the Machina reissue, as well as the Metro DVD, are his 2 last remaining aces up his sleeve to have power in whatever convoluted, abusive relationship muscles he continues to flex from a lifetime of being the victim.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #1844
tweedyburd
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
And the Machina reissue, as well as the Metro DVD, are his 2 last remaining aces up his sleeve to have power in whatever convoluted, abusive relationship muscles he continues to flex from a lifetime of being the victim.
Wow, well said. This has basically been my thought for a while, too.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #1845
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Reyngel just summed up Billy

Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 AM   #1846
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I think Billy just lost his momentum on the reissues. It just took too long to get the legal stuff resolved. Like it or not he was on to other stuff by then. Not sure why everyone wants a more produced Machine II though. The lack of production is part of what makes it good, and a much needed stripped down sound compared to the last couple albums

Old 01-11-2020, 12:55 AM   #1847
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It would be nice to be able to hear the damn thing, though. A lot of it sounds, forgive me, fuzzy.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #1848
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Fair enough, it can be a little hard to hear in parts

Old 01-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #1849
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Do we know for a fact that the Metro DVD (shows its age right there) was ever fully completed?
The show and sound mix editing completed?

I ask this, because this guy is notorious for this type of thing. There was the Vieuphoria 2 live video that they shot at the show I was at in 1996....what happened to that? I am sure he wouldn't answer if asked.

There was also the Adore movie, An Evening with The Smashing Pumpkins, that was supposed to be a documentary about the tour with the performances from all over the world. If I recall correctly, he had creative differences with the director.

There's also the Church Sessions or Chicago Kid or whatever.

Back to the Metro.
To have it edited and completed would have cost a lot of money back in 2001. Do we know Virgin paid for this? They wouldn't even put out Machina 2 (allegedly) as the narrative goes, but they put their money behind the Metro DVD and then didn't push for a release in 2001? (Or any year since.)

I remember at the time in 2001 when the greatest hits DVD and Vieuphoria coming out, being super confused, because I was for sure the metro show was something they would want out at Christmas time.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:25 AM   #1850
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

It does seem hard to believe that the Metro DVD is coming out. What is the demand for it at this point? As we all know that's not even the original lineup. Plus, Billy still insisted on wearing that dress.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #1851
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm expecting the Metro DVD to drop on the 100th anniversary of the show (December 2100) and be mastered by Auggie Jup's grandkids.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 AM   #1852
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

The Metro DVD is never coming out.

Billy doesn’t like the show. Maybe it’s personal reasons, or he hates his dress, or he isn’t happy with the performances, or he just wants to spite old fans.

He suggested on IG Machina reissue would feature an Arising show.

The Metro show was only notable for the oddball versions and blistering pace they pumped out the rock songs on the S&P tour. It’s in demand for being the last show of the OG line-up but it’s mostly the United Center with added bonuses. Whilst I’d love some high quality audio of that tour, I will be controversial and say think the Zeitgeist tour was actually a better show, visually and in terms of the setlist and performance. It’s also the best way to consume ZG tracks as live Bill couldn’t butcher the production. His voice was still good too.

I think the Machina reissue will come, and then it’s supposed to be another Greatest Hits according to Bill’s original timeline, isn’t it? I doubt we’ll see TFE, maybe a digital or vinyl release, but I can see Billy tackling Zeitgeist box set if we’re all still here in 2027.

Although after the next Greatest Hits we’ll probably loop back round to 40th anniversary reissues.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 01-13-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #1853
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh, and just to add it’s hilarious that Billy is leaving so much money on the table by mishandling the band’s legacy and archive material. He could be putting out an archive release every year at $30-40 and it would sell.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #1854
Shallowed
Braindead

This is why we need communism.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #1855
fuzzyroes
Banned

Guys, it's really a simple situation and it boggles my mind as to why so many of you are confused by this.

The fact of the matter is that hardly anyone liked Machina when it first came out so why in the world would Virgin Records spend time and resources to reissue it 20 years later? Maybe if Smashing Pumpkins didn't release like 6 albums since, they perhaps could've marketed it as "THE FINAL ALBUM BY THE SMASHING PUMPKINS...REMASTERED". But at this point, it's just another random crappy album who nobody cares about down the ole memory hole.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #1856
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
This is my feeling as well. I thought I would be one of the last of us diehards to hold out. I just do not care about Billy's output anymore. I still hear a faint spark of what made me love him in his stuff, but its like 15 years down the line and its not returned. He's too old and spread thin to churn out anything good anymore. MACHINA is my favorite era which sucks because we're never getting this reissue.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #1857
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
why in the world would Virgin Records spend time and resources to reissue it 20 years later?
Didn't Billy mention that he owns all the copyrights now?

Old 01-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #1858
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s really simple guys, how are you not getting it?

*farts on own face*

Did you know record companies haven’t adjusted sales expectations in 25 years? If only there was a way for RRP to offset the cost of producing niche items. What is a business school?

Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #1859
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
Didn't Billy mention that he owns all the copyrights now?
I never heard that. I highly doubt it, though. Major labels don't just give up rights to intellectual property

Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #1860
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
It’s really simple guys, how are you not getting it?

*farts on own face*

Did you know record companies haven’t adjusted sales expectations in 25 years? If only there was a way for RRP to offset the cost of producing niche items. What is a business school?
Things like the MCIS deluxe reissue were niche items for the hardcore fans. No casual fans are gonna bother with releases like that. A lot of people who I've talked to even forget that Machina was a thing, a lot of people think the band broke up after Adore

So looking at it from a risk/reward standpoint, why would a major label bother? To maybe hope that enough diehads buy it in order to make a few bucks? There's no ceiling there, so why would they waste their time?

Think about it