Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-01-2003, 01:17 AM   #1
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up Ridley Scott Knighted

Great Scott! Ridley Knighted
Tue Dec 31, 1:45 PM ET

By Julie Keller

On the heels of his guts and glory spectacle Gladiator--not to mention his guts and gory spectacle Hannibal--director Ridley Scott has swashbuckled his way to knighthood

The man behind the Oscar-winning battle flick, the Silence of the Lambs sequel and the cult classic, genre-defining Blade Runner was named a knight of the British EmpireTuesday in England, leading the list of Queen Elizabeth II (news - web sites)'s annual New Year's Honors.

Scott, a three-time Oscar nominee for Best Director, got sir'd for services to the film and television industry. With dozens of films, TV movies and commercials under his belt, ranging from war epics to buddy flicks to horror, the 65-year-old director has been one of Hollywood's most bankable directors. His helming credits ******* Thelma and Louise, Black Hawk Down and the original Alien. He won an Emmy this year for producing the HBO teleflick The Gathering Storm.

Also getting the sword tap was acclaimed actor Alan Bates, a five-decade veteran of film and stage. Most recently, the 68-year-old thesp was a member of the cast of the Academy Award winning Gosford Park, and he won a Tony for Broadway's Fortune's Fool. He's most famous, however, for his naked tousle opposite the late Oliver Reed in the 1969 adaption of D.H. Lawrence's Women in Love.

Aside from the show-biz types getting their knights on, several other Brits received lesser awards from Her Majesty, including:

Actor Brian Cox, the first Hannibal Lecter from the 1986 film Manhunter, named Commander of the British Empire (CBE). Cox's recent credits ******* the upcoming X-Men 2, 25th Hour, Adaptation, The Rookie, The Ring, The Bourne Identity. TV viewers know him for his guest stint as Harry Moon on Frasier, and he won an for the 2000 TV miniseries Nuremberg.
Two-time Oscar nominee and Emmy winner Jean Simmons, best known for her role in ******ce Olivier (news)'s 1948 Hamlet, was awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE), as was another two-time Oscar nominee, Brenda Blethyn (news) (Secrets & Lies, Little Voice).

As for the newly minted Sir Ridley, don't expect him to sit on his new laurels for too long.

Next up, he's slated to reteam with his Gladiator leading man Russell Crowe (news) for Tripoli, a big-budget epic set in 19th century North Africa. He's also wrapping up Matchstick Men, a comedy-drama with Nicolas Cage (news).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:30 AM   #2
sarmatianus
Apocalyptic Poster

I think that's kinda ridiculous, giving it to Ridley Scott. The man's done nothing for his own country. Yeah, I'm certain that probably goes for a lot of other people knighted, but should that kinda be a key point? Not only British citizenship, but directly contributing to the country?

Old 01-01-2003, 01:45 AM   #3
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

Has Sean Connery been knighted yet? A year or two ago, when the opportunity for him to be knighted came up, he didn't get it and Roger Moore did. Bleah.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:50 AM   #4
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower

what the FUCK
My thoughts exactly, Sir Sean.

Roger Moore=James Bond
Sean Connery=James Bond, The Untouchables, Murder on the Orient Express, The Rock...

Maybe they're still smarting from the fact that he was in the movie Zardoz. :erm

Old 01-01-2003, 02:06 AM   #5
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower

Well, there was also Spice World.
Yeah, I thought about that, too. I probably should've added it to the list. Such a great actor who's done so much for his country.

He probably got knighted before Connery because he's older. That's the only reason I can think of.

Old 01-01-2003, 02:56 AM   #6
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Arrow

In related news, Tessellation is still a pretentious fuckwit.

Old 01-01-2003, 03:05 AM   #7
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew
True.

I knight thee Sir LeDrew, Knight of all things Nintendo.

Old 01-01-2003, 04:07 AM   #8
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew
and you're still a rude moron. what the FUCK is "pretentious" about this thread? I highly doubt that you've even graduated from high school. Read a dictionary some time.

btw: how are the blisters on your thumbs?

Last edited by Tessellation : 01-01-2003 at 04:11 AM.

Old 01-01-2003, 03:41 PM   #9
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessellation

and you're still a rude moron. what the FUCK is "pretentious" about this thread? I highly doubt that you've even graduated from high school. Read a dictionary some time.

btw: how are the blisters on your thumbs?
Son, you don't know jack squat about me. With every reply you make yourself look a little more foolish.