Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
ciGarski
is thinking of you

Location: I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here?
Default NY Times article about McCain fuckin around

MSNBC was loving this last night. all the other networks thought it was a low blow and pretty lousy move.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,6235248.story

McCain denies romantic or improper relationship with lobbyist
template_bas
template_bas
By Johanna Neuman, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
7:40 AM PST, February 21, 2008
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) today denied allegations that he had a romantic or improper relationship with a female lobbyist, telling reporters at an early morning news conference that a New York Times story alleging both was "not true."

The story, first circulated by blogger Matt Drudge last December, shook the McCain campaign last night when the newspaper released a story on its website alleging that an unnamed former aide to McCain had warned the telecommunications lobbyist, Vicki Iseman, to stay away from him during his presidential campaign in 2000. His campaign dismissed the story as "gutter politics."

Related
- 2008 Primary Tracker: Follow the presidential nominating season
- POLITICS A-Z
- Complete election results from The Associated Press

Related Stories
- TRAVEL BLOG: Obama, Hillary, Romney & McCain paid what for hotels?

McCain, who is on the verge of clinching the GOP nomination for president, denied categorically that he had ever had a romantic relationship with Iseman or that he had ever done anything that would "betray the public trust" or give undue favor to lobbyists. He also said his staffers never told him they were concerned with the relationship.

"I'm very disappointed in the article; it's not true," he said in a calm, deliberate voice.

Calling Iseman a friend, McCain said he had dozens of friendships with lobbyists -- who seek influence on behalf of firefighters, police officers, senior citizens and other interests -- and had made hundreds of decisions after receiving what he called their "constitutional" input. He acknowledged flying on corporate jets -- a common practice in Congress that has since been banned -- and writing a letter to the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. He said the letter did not tell the FCC what decision to make, just urged the agency to make one.

Cindy McCain, standing at her husband's side throughout the news conference, defended him.

Calling her husband "a man of great character," she said she and their children "know he would never have done anything to disappoint not only our family but . . . our country." She too said she was "very disappointed in the New York Times."

McCain said he still hoped to secure the Republican nomination, acknowledging that he had work to do with conservatives. Former Arkansas Mike Huckabee, still challenging McCain for the nomination, said today that he knows McCain to be "an honorable man." And L. Brent Bozell, head of a conservative media watchgroup called Media Research Center, called the newspaper's story "a politically motivated hit job."

Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
ciGarski
is thinking of you

i loved msnbc's flashing "BREAKING NEWS" sign while sportscaster keith obermann is strokin his dick about all of this.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

worst copy-and-paste ever.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
ciGarski
is thinking of you

i'd like to thank my parents, God, and netphoria. i couldn't have done it without you guys. really this goes to show if you follow your dreams, they may come true!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
i loved msnbc's flashing "BREAKING NEWS" sign while sportscaster keith obermann is strokin his dick about all of this.
I have to agree, it was pretty low on their part.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
jared
Apocalyptic Poster

what the fuck do you expect from cable news?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Keith is a world class douche bag whose teeth I wouldn't hesitate to kick out at a moment's notice.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
ciGarski
is thinking of you

yeah he's a douche and tries way too hard but i don't mind him having a show. i don't like the show but whatever he can have it. however fuck msnbc for giving this guy election coverage. he's not a journalist or news ancher i don't care how much he wants to rip off walter cronkite get him the fuck out of there. at least fox can confine orielly to his one program.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Conservatives are going to look at him a bit more fondly if it looks like a "liberal media" hit piece, which is what it looks like..

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
ciGarski
is thinking of you

i love how the cable media is reporting it by having a pannel of media whores talking about how wrong it is for the times to be reporting it.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
yeah he's a douche and tries way too hard but i don't mind him having a show. i don't like the show but whatever he can have it. however fuck msnbc for giving this guy election coverage. he's not a journalist or news ancher i don't care how much he wants to rip off walter cronkite get him the fuck out of there. at least fox can confine orielly to his one program.
See, that's my main problem with Olbermann. They use him as a news anchor at times. It would be like FOX giving the anchor desk to Sean Hannity.

Although IMHO, no cable news host goes further in partisanship than Olbermann does.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
ciGarski
is thinking of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
Although IMHO, no cable news host goes further in partisanship than Olbermann does.
agreed and all the more reason to contain him to his show and not as a general news anchor. even dispite his partisianship, he has no credentials other than sports casting and having an opinion.

i really don't see why msnbc does this. and you can tell even seasoned news anchors like williams and brokaw get frustrated with him and his agenda.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

He's the voice of the man on the street.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

I love how newspapers like the NYT have turned into nothing more than tabloids.

They really didn't have enough facts to bring this story out and not look completely douchey.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccririck View Post
He's the voice of the man on the street.
maybe if that man's name is john murtha

Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki View Post

They really didn't have enough facts to bring this story out and not look completely douchey.
I doubt you read newspapers.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki View Post

well i guess youd know a tabloid when you saw one, eh moron? i dare you to say that youve ever even read an entire NYT.

really appalling seeing someone so ignorant be so assertive. get the fuck out of here.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
sleeper
Minion of Satan

not defending the article though, it was premature

Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
not defending the article though, it was premature
You know the vaunted, straight-shooting, crack journalists at the NYT screwed up when not even sleeper is willing to step up and defend them.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
well i guess youd know a tabloid when you saw one, eh moron? i dare you to say that youve ever even read an entire NYT.

really appalling seeing someone so ignorant be so assertive. get the fuck out of here.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #21
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
You know the vaunted, straight-shooting, crack journalists at the NYT screwed up when not even sleeper is willing to step up and defend them.
dude, big mistake on the new avatar. firstly, its annoying. secondly, when you have an avatar so long you almost cant get rid of it, it becomes apart of your identity. go back to it, please, youre confusing me.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #22
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
dude, big mistake on the new avatar. firstly, its annoying. secondly, when you have an avatar so long you almost cant get rid of it, it becomes apart of your identity. go back to it, please, youre confusing me.
You'll get over it. I think almost 7 years with the same avatar was getting to be a bit much. Luke Skywalker was originally just supposed to be a placeholder until I thought of something better anyways.

And to amend my earlier point: You know the vaunted, straight-shooting, crack journalists at the NYT screwed up when not even sleeper is willing to step up and defend them, to the point that he changes the subject to avatars when said lack of stepping up is pointed out to him.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
sleeper
Minion of Satan

i dont know what to talk about really. are you saying the times isnt a good paper or something? do you think that? you dont like it, but do you think its shitty?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #24
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i dont know what to talk about really. are you saying the times isnt a good paper or something? do you think that? you dont like it, but do you think its shitty?
I don't think they're a tabloid rag or anything like that...but on the other hand, "good papers" don't usually let themselves get as far out on a limb as the Times has done here. Overall, I was just making the point that the NYT must have really screwed up on this McCain story considering that it's gotten the people who distrust them and the people who trust them all on the same page. I mean, we're almost on common ground here on this issue. This is unprecedented.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #25
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
I don't think they're a tabloid rag or anything like that...but on the other hand, "good papers" don't usually let themselves get as far out on a limb as the Times has done here.
yes they do, they just dont really get called on it, and when they do the resulting scandal is small or irrelevant. i said this before, but if the new york sun or something was shown to jump the gun and give undue weight to hearsay (as the times did here), people wouldnt bat an eyelash, it would be a non-issue because the overall standard is so low that it would almost be more newsworthy if they DIDNT have such an article in an issue.
with the times, the fact that even the most minor error stews up huge shit really only goes to underscore how exceptional their standard normally is.

Quote:
Overall, I was just making the point that the NYT must have really screwed up on this McCain story considering that it's gotten the people who distrust them and the people who trust them all on the same page. I mean, we're almost on common ground here on this issue. This is unprecedented.
youre kind of overreacting. i dont agree with everything the times does, this isnt new. i defend the paper often because it really is pretty much the best paper in the world by any measure, and the attacks on it are usually kind of shortsighted and naive, if not outright idiotic.