Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #61
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Ogilala and the accompanying tour has had a warm enough "aura" around it to make me feel like this may actually be something incredible, especially with certain things Billy has done or acknowledged - of course this could be a classic case of falling for it once again but hey, what's the worst that could happen?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #62
Ram27
dumb

exactly.

i don't think the original 4 could let themselves put out shitty music after an 18 year hiatus

Old 11-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #63
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

YES, it's still DAMN funny, JIMMY, putting your logo on the heroin addict...

Still damn funny.

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Jimmy Chamberlin (@chamberdrums) am

Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #64
fuzzyroes
Banned

Fuck man, just a new album with JC would be awesome. But to have the whole band together again, how could you not be stoked? I can't believe the negative reactions I'm reading from people. Lighten up!

Sure Z had it's issues, but BC seemed to fix a lot of those problems with Oash and Monuments, the only problem with those is the performances weren't that good. A new album from the OG lineup has a high probability of kicking ass! I'm officially excited

Old 11-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #65
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

2019 interview:

"I was all set to do a reunion waiting for it to be inked, Jimmy told some Uber driver about and the next day I went online like an idiot and everyone was talking how it was going to suck so I canceled it."

Old 11-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #66
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Original line up seems cool- but i doubt that the album will be enjoyable- billys voice changed too much - i guess the mix will be the most important thing

Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #67
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Fuck man, just a new album with JC would be awesome. But to have the whole band together again, how could you not be stoked? I can't believe the negative reactions I'm reading from people. Lighten up!

Sure Z had it's issues, but BC seemed to fix a lot of those problems with Oash and Monuments, the only problem with those is the performances weren't that good. A new album from the OG lineup has a high probability of kicking ass! I'm officially excited
It's Netphoria, dude. We ain't here to celebrate and sing kumbaya together.

But yeah, a reunion record could be good with the right producer involved. Please, please, please don't let it be Rick Rubin. I hope they go with someone with a little more connection with the original band like Butch Vig, though I'd prefer Flood. It needs to feel like a family reunion in that studio. No outsiders, no strangers.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 11-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #68
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
It's Netphoria, dude. We ain't here to celebrate and sing kumbaya together.
it's not? shit, I must have missed the memo

Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #69
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I mentioned this in another thread over the summer, but I would pay good money for videos of rehearsal of any future reunion tour. Can you just imagine Billy?

"Hey Jimmy, Mike played a pretty tough part on "Quasar." Let me know if you need any help figuring it out."

"D'arcy. Good to see you. Did you get the bass line for "Widow Wake My Mind" down? It has a lot of notes.

"James, you should check out Jeff's e-bow work on "Tonight,Tonight." It was absolutely groundbreaking.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #70
T&T
Socialphobic

we'll see.... for now he's just parading the idea around to promote his new album.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #71
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
"James, you should check out Jeff's e-bow work on "Tonight,Tonight." It was absolutely groundbreaking.
E-bow? He was more with his elbow wimmering...

Old 11-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #72
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
we'll see.... for now he's just parading the idea around to promote his new album.
It's just a month old, but already dead in the charts.
Was no good idea to release it on a Friday the 13th, if you believe in transformations...

Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #73
ButtHash
Demi-God

I don't get why some people here care so much about "the charts". Seems silly. I've never looked up an album and gone "that only placed #153 in the Billboard 200? Ha!"

The guy put out a decent, (mostly) tasteful album, is playing great setlists, and seems to have a newfound appreciation for his audience. In 2017 that should be successful enough

Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #74
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
I don't get why some people here care so much about "the charts". Seems silly. I've never looked up an album and gone "that only placed #153 in the Billboard 200? Ha!"

The guy put out a decent, (mostly) tasteful album, is playing great setlists, and seems to have a newfound appreciation for his audience. In 2017 that should be successful enough
I suspect it's b/c of bill's fascination with recapturing the fame/glory/charts of his youth, as evidenced by quite literally everything he's said and done since msots

We, like you, don't give a shit about charts, but b/c it matters so fucking much to bill, it's comical that ogilala has done so poorly when it comes to sales

Old 11-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #75
ButtHash
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I suspect it's b/c of bill's fascination with recapturing the fame/glory/charts of his youth, as evidenced by quite literally everything he's said and done since msots

We, like you, don't give a shit about charts, but b/c it matters so fucking much to bill, it's comical that ogilala has done so poorly when it comes to sales
Good points. I thought I noticed he seemed to be banging that drum less on this album cycle, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems like the closest he's gotten to whining about relevance is his endless droning about the music industry. Either way this whole era seems less cynical than the past so ima believer.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #76
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
YES, it's still DAMN funny, JIMMY, putting your logo on the heroin addict...
haha noticed that too

Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #77
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Who the fuck is this Mykeyz motherfucker?

Maybe I want to hold hands and sing kumbaya, you infernal whoreson of a landlubber!

Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #78
redbreegull

Billy also recently said he is feeling very open to working with other people (in terms of production) which is a very very good thing.

lol they should just do it right and get butch vig

Old 11-14-2017, 02:26 AM   #79
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:

CORGAN himself set a benchmark on OGILALA:
"The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record."

Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #80
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #81
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Who the fuck is this Mykeyz motherfucker?

Maybe I want to hold hands and sing kumbaya, you infernal whoreson of a landlubber!
It's called a joke as my comment is based on what I hear many people say about Netphoria outside of here. Then again, you do realize your comment actually goes along with the comments that Netphoria has some miserable twats on here.

Sense of humor, you should learn it sometime.

Are you even an adult? Can't tell the type of mind I'm interacting with. It could explain things.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 11-14-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #82
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
CORGAN himself set a benchmark on OGILALA:
"The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record."
In all fairness, this quote and others seem to be more about the world's general reaction to the record. He's talked before about how he feels people were unfairly harsh on TheFutureEmbrace because he tried to do something different. I don't think anyone, even Billy himself, expected this album to light up the charts. Honestly, I am surprised it charted at all. All in all, the album has gotten more press, better reviews, and more appearances in traditional media (such as the late show appearances) than anything since Zeitgeist. I would say it has already received more overall attention than Monuments to an Elegy.

As others pointed out, Corgan finally seems to be happy with his place in the music world, seems to fully embrace his legacy and back catalog, and seems open to a reunion of the classic Smashing Pumpkins lineup. From all accounts, the Ogilala shows have been fun and friendly. I'll take any of this over playing Oceania to empty arenas with Mike Byrne on drums. that weird 2014 lineup with Mark Stoermer and Brad Wilk, or any tour where the audience has to endure "Run2Me."

Old 11-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #83
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I mentioned this in another thread over the summer, but I would pay good money for videos of rehearsal of any future reunion tour. Can you just imagine Billy?

"Hey Jimmy, Mike played a pretty tough part on "Quasar." Let me know if you need any help figuring it out."

"D'arcy. Good to see you. Did you get the bass line for "Widow Wake My Mind" down? It has a lot of notes.

I'm not sure if I'd love or hate seeing them do post-2000 stuff

Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #84
Ram27
dumb

Quote:

Exactly. Charts are absolute bullshit. If a song is good, it's good, it doesn't matter how many fucking radio stations it gets played on. If it's meaningful to you, that matters more than how many copies it sold.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #85
fuzzyroes
Banned

I definitely understand any skepticism that comes along with Billy Corgan at this point in the journey, but if we can't be optimistic about the prospects of him making a new record with Jimmy, James and Darcy then what's the point of even being a fan?

Sure, it's more than likely that it wont live up to SD and MCIS, but I think they can make some compelling music together that is worth hearing... And really, Billy's voice has been better on OASH and Monuments... It's only when he's on a long tour that the voice really seems to crap out ( I was listening to a few tracks from the Oash DVD the other night and god... he sounds like shit)

Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #86
Ram27
dumb

Even if his voice was fucked in the old days, it still sounded good in a way

Even on good days now it's still bad

Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #87
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #88
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I definitely understand any skepticism that comes along with Billy Corgan at this point in the journey, but if we can't be optimistic about the prospects of him making a new record with Jimmy, James and Darcy then what's the point of even being a fan?

Sure, it's more than likely that it wont live up to SD and MCIS, but I think they can make some compelling music together that is worth hearing... And really, Billy's voice has been better on OASH and Monuments... It's only when he's on a long tour that the voice really seems to crap out ( I was listening to a few tracks from the Oash DVD the other night and god... he sounds like shit)
Concur with this. Anyone expecting them to match MCIS or SD is delusional and should check themselves - would love to be proven wrong, no mistake - but that doesn't mean the entire notion needs shitting on. I get the expectation that Bill will be his usual egomaniac self and not let any of them have any input, but I don't think at this point any of them will let him get away with that kind of shit; that's why JC left the second time. I don't think they'd even be trying this unless they all came to some sort of understanding.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #89
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm not sure if I'd love or hate seeing them do post-2000 stuff
When Jimmy rejoined the band in 2015, I would have accepted him playing on Oceania stuff. But I agree, now that we potentially have the classic lineup back, the only post-2000 songs I'd be interested in seeing live would be any recordings they make next year.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #90
FoolofaTook

Match sd and mcis

lolololololol