Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #31
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
sweet sweet is definitely not better than quiet.
Luna isn't that great either, tbh. And Spaceboy never really fitted on the album properly for me, but its a decent song. Quiet is up there, higher than Rocket.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #32
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you smoking crack?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #33
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
you smoking crack?
Yes, actually

Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #34
spidrr
Ownz

the solo alone in Quiet is one of the best moments on SD. The build up. The drumming. I mean, cmon. Sweet Sweet can go, kind of a waster. Though it’s still a good song, I guess.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #35
myosis
Minion of Satan

sweet sweet is not pointless though, it's a bridge between silverfuck and luna.
i'm sure it was conscious that the song was a throwaway, but you couldn't really substitute any of the outtakes for it and keep a working album flow.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #36
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
sweet sweet is definitely not better than quiet.
sweet sweet still fuqs tho.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #37
TuralyonW3
Immortal

It does fuq hard. Sweet sweet is an important part of the SD experience for me

Old 07-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #38
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Sweet Sweet is completely irreplaceable as a bridge between Silverfuck and Luna and it gives the album even more dynamics and lets it begin to drift off into a dreamy ending.

Quiet is just another Pumpkins rocker

Old 07-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #39
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
Sweet Sweet is completely irreplaceable as a bridge between Silverfuck and Luna and it gives the album even more dynamics and lets it begin to drift off into a dreamy ending.

Quiet is just another Pumpkins rocker
"just another pumpkins rocker" in 1993 means it's probably amazing

Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #40
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

I like how the little acoustic strumming at the end of Silverfuck leads into Sweet Sweet.

And yeah, Quiet is top notch SD stuff. You guys crazy?

Old 07-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #41
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quiet makes the whole record work.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #42
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I think the flow could've easily gone Silverfuck - Luna and nothing would've been lost. In fact, I often wonder if *one more rocker* could've gone in there - perhaps Hello Kitty Kat, had it not been a Today b-side. For me, Sweet Sweet is nice but sort of goes nowhere; at least, it should go on for a bit longer.

Luna is beautiful. Saying it's a weak SD song is just weird.

I've always liked Spaceboy, as it's a chance to take a breath and hear something different from the fuzzy guitars. There's enough loud guitars going on around it, and it just adds something new and different (and unique to the album). I remember the Melody Maker review at the time pointing this song out as a highlight, as it didn't sound like anything else at the time. Cool use of the mellotron orchestral setting as well (see: early King Crimson).

If I had to own up I'd admit the least engaging "rocker" on SD for me is Geek USA - don't get me wrong, it's a great track, I like it, it has it's place and the middle section is SUBLIME, but in terms of similar tracks from that era I would prefer Frail & Bedazzled or HKK.

The cool thing about SD is "side one", Cherub Rock -> Soma, is faultless. Everything is in it's right place, in the right order. "Side two" is a little more varied, Silverfuck obviously being a bit more out there (admission; I think Starla is a far better "long jam"). Side one works better than side two, but side two offers an almost "b-side" approach to the tracks. Get your kicks with side one, but here's side two to make you pay attention.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #43
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

weakest song on the album is today imo. bottom 3 are today, spaceboy, and sweet sweet (in that order)

Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #44
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

aw fuck it

from best to worst:

hummer
mayonaise
rocket
soma
geek usa
disarm
cherub rock
silverfuck
quiet
luna
today
sweet, sweet
spaceboy

Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #45
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

I understand Billy thinking that Quiet was a weak song, but it made more sense on the album vs. Hello Kitty Kat, which iirc was sequenced second on that mysterious promo tape when HKK was still on the album. Quiet has a more simple, pop structure - HKK goes off on a lot of Gish tangents. imo it was a good call, because having HKK and Geek on the same record would be redundant.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #46
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

D'arcy also pushed very hard for Pissant to be on the album, to no avail.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #47
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
D'arcy also pushed very hard for Pissant to be on the album, to no avail.

Couldn't imagine Pissant or Kitty on the album. B-side material.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #48
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Mayonaise
Soma
Geek USA
Rocket
Hummer
Cherub Rock
Silverfuck (live versions are much better)
Today
Luna
Sweet Sweet
Disarm
Quiet
Spaceboy

I take back what I said about Quiet being the weakest song on the album

Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #49
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Contempt for Spaceboy is one of the most baffling things the general SP fandom has ever presented to me
How can you like this band or "the soft side of Billy Corgan" circa 1993 at all and not like this song. Such a pure, honest sentiment

Old 07-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #50
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i like it but it is the weakest link for sure. i love the soft side of corgan... luna, sweet sweet, purr snickety, all the stuff on pisces etc. but spaceboy is there cuz it's a song for his brother and not because it was as strong as the other songs. which is totally fine, i'm just saying

Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #51
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quiet really was the best possible choice for a second track, I think. The ascending guitars into the first verse really give it a "now let's get this shit into gear" feelafter Cherub Rock opens. It's not as strong as anything around but it's an excellent stepping stone up and I can't see HKK or Pissant working as well in its place.

Sweet sweet's a nice little bridge of a track and I wouldn't move it for the world.

I mean, there's not a weak moment on the album. I love Spaceboy too - having had a disabled sibling it gets me where I live a little - but I'm actually way more partial to the Mashed Potatoes/alternate version.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #52
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i like it but it is the weakest link for sure. i love the soft side of corgan... luna, sweet sweet, purr snickety, all the stuff on pisces etc. but spaceboy is there cuz it's a song for his brother and not because it was as strong as the other songs. which is totally fine, i'm just saying
To me it's kind of like Disarm though - even though it's a very pointed song aimed at his parents, it's so, so universally relatable and doesn't cheapen its aim in doing so

I don't know I mean, it's not my favorite song but it just kind of puzzles me when I see so many people "bagging" on it

Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #53
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Quiet really was the best possible choice for a second track, I think. The ascending guitars into the first verse really give it a "now let's get this shit into gear" feelafter Cherub Rock opens. It's not as strong as anything around but it's an excellent stepping stone up and I can't see HKK or Pissant working as well in its place.

Sweet sweet's a nice little bridge of a track and I wouldn't move it for the world.

I mean, there's not a weak moment on the album. I love Spaceboy too - having had a disabled sibling it gets me where I live a little - but I'm actually way more partial to the Mashed Potatoes/alternate version.
ya that first drum fill followed by the ascending, huge sounding guitars was really a true reinforcement of "we're not fucking around here, fellas!"

Old 07-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #54
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I don't always air drum, but when I do it's to that god damn intro fill

Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #55
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Yes but how could one rate Sweet Sweet higher than Quiet?

Not to take away from either song, but one clearly had a bit more work put into it.

But of course, having more work put into a song does not mean it is inherently better or something. I just...Quiet's chorus is one of the best on the album. The drums and guitar mesh together so well and the vocal melody is dreamy.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #56
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

I love a lot of the B-sides of the Gish and SD era but I honestly wouldn't replace any of the songs on SD. Quiet is such a kickass rock song and lyrically, I've always found it very strong. I especially love this line: We are the fossils/ The relics of our time/ We mutilate the meanings/ So they're easy to deny/

And Spaceboy and Sweet Sweet, while weaker songs, just fit the vibe that Corgan was going for with that album. Sweet Sweet feels more like an interlude than a full song, but it just feels so perfectly placed.

I do think Billy was foolish not to put Starla on Gish though. I like Daydream and I'm Going Crazy well enough, but I would gladly swap those two out for Starla. Those songs feel more like B-sides, IMO.

EDIT: Okay, can someone tell me why the fuck this message board bleeps out the word I N C L U D E?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #57
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Disarm is probably my least favorite on the album tbh.

But that's probably just because I have heard it so much. Yet that hasn't killed 1979 for me...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #58
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Angry

Quote:
weakest song on the album is today imo. bottom 3 are today, spaceboy, and sweet sweet (in that order)
Quote:
aw fuck it

from best to worst:

today
sweet, sweet
spaceboy
what kind of sick fuckin game are you fuckin playin here

Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #59
TuralyonW3
Immortal

lol