Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-26-2020, 02:09 AM   #1
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Default Explain the new music2me?

Please for the love of ffs explain to me what it is that u are feeling when u hear these bits of tracks.

Do u just crave the throaty gasp/honk of big willie right up ‘gainst your earflesh to some gray barren keyboard hell?

Is it truly what you’ve been waiting for all these years since when, in another world ago, James Iha was there all the sudden and he even, remember how he touched big willie on the shoulder, when they did mayo for us that time?

Please talk to me about these new songs for you. What does it tickle, where in your parts.

Thanking u kindly in advance,

Old 09-26-2020, 02:26 AM   #2
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i told you, fatherfucker, the instrumentals give me the same old dark sp vibes and billy's voice has emotional pizzaz.

im going to see the whirling dervishes now. you boys be good and braid each other's gooch pubes or something.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #3
FoolofaTook

man now i am second guessing myself AGAIN. can it really be?

Old 09-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Emotional pizzas — let’s explore that.

So like big willies hittin u with that croak. And you feel some emotions in there or from that. Let’s name those emotions. Go deeper. We’re on the right track here

Old 09-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
FoolofaTook

Oh come on man. His voice has always been sketchy. It worked in the past when he sang with hella emotion. That's what I'm, sorta, hearing now.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Kickass. So happy for you. Sorry you’re getting so defensive about it. This thread is really just to celebrate you and your enjoyment and anyone who enjoys enjoying these new bits of big willie.

So. To return to the question though. What emotions exactly? Really curious about that part of it, especially

Old 09-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Please for the love of ffs explain to me what it is that u are feeling when u hear these bits of tracks.
I feel a connection with what it's like to live in these hell times and be searching for something real.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

SP1 is depressing, whereas SP2 is depressing.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Oh come on man. His voice has always been sketchy. It worked in the past when he sang with hella emotion. That's what I'm, sorta, hearing now.
i'm starting to think you never actually liked The Smashing Pumpkins

Old 09-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

either that or you've picked up something truly sinister out East that is considerably fucking with your head!

Old 09-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #11
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

in any case these songs are fine for what they are but then Billbo comes in & does his most croakaliscious, consonant-killing set of vocal takes yet and laughs in our faces for thinking we'd get something different this time around

Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

It's like going to an art show and someone shit on a cross, called it art, and if you don't like it you don't get it.

Except with more shit, less consonants, and you can interact with the aging irrelevant artist where he tells you how stupid you are for not wanting to listen to diarrhea

Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/the...ict-and-wrath/

“I’m ecstatic that the reaction has been 99.9 per cent positive, which obviously never happens. So something must be wrong. I’m probably dead and we’re doing this interview from heaven…” - Billy, September 2020

Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Do u just crave the throaty gasp/honk of big willie right up ‘gainst your earflesh to some gray barren keyboard hell?

Is it truly what you’ve been waiting for all these years since when, in another world ago, James Iha was there all the sudden and he even, remember how he touched big willie on the shoulder, when they did mayo for us that time?

Please talk to me about these new songs for you. What does it tickle, where in your parts.

Thanking u kindly in advance,
The new music for me is A. A band that survived the 90's and are still alive. B. I don't want an album that sounds likes SD. C. I like the Pumpkins because every album from Gish to Machina is different. I also loved the future embrace more than most fans and really enjoy electronic SP/Billy, it goes very well with his unique voice. I'm curious for the other 16 songs. None of us can make a complete decision on this album by hearing less than a quarter of the songs.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #15
YA5H
Demi-God

That being said I like dopamine and wrath more than Cyr and Colour. For me it goes 1. Dopamine 2. Wrath (very close second) 3. Colour 4. Cyr ( the best part of Cyr is the breakdown IMO.)

Old 09-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #16
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA5H View Post
That being said I like dopamine and wrath more than Cyr and Colour. For me it goes 1. Dopamine 2. Wrath (very close second) 3. Colour 4. Cyr ( the best part of Cyr is the breakdown IMO.)
you mean Billy's mental breakdown?

Old 09-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The new songs sound like Run2me so you’d think you’d be happy about it given ur moniker

Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #18
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
The new songs sound like Run2me so you’d think you’d be happy about it given ur moniker
Not a fan of run2me at all ( my opinion). Musically maybe there's some potential but overall not at all.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #19
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

It's like what he was going for on Monuments but it feels a tad more focused. I can't say I've gotten entirely used to the Nu-Wave direction the album seems to lean in, but the initial surprise has worn off and now I'm kinda like "OK, let's see where this goes".

The lyrics are more straightforward in spots, especially on Wrath, which is welcome.

What's piqued my interest now is that he said on IG that they were fucking around to get guitars to sound like synths and vice versa, and that adds an interesting dimension to the tunes if you consider that maybe you could be hearing lead guitar parts that don't sound like what we're used to hearing at all.

#SynthingPumpkins2020

Old 09-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I agree that some of the new ones feel like an extension of stuff like Dorian. For as much as we like to rag on Billy I still think we are lucky to follow an artist who continually shifts directions and challenges himself. Whether or not it’s successful always is another thing entirely. But I respect the effort even if I don’t always like the result.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:09 AM   #21
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/the...ict-and-wrath/

“I’m ecstatic that the reaction has been 99.9 per cent positive, which obviously never happens. So something must be wrong. I’m probably dead and we’re doing this interview from heaven…” - Billy, September 2020
isn’t this what he always says with every new release?

the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive

Old 09-27-2020, 01:11 AM   #22
cork_soaker
full of longing

the fans are really responding to it; everyone i’ve talked to says they love it

Old 09-27-2020, 04:18 AM   #23
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i played it for my friend and she cried, ok?

Old 09-27-2020, 04:25 AM   #24
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i barely made it through some of these songs once. it is not good music. but it does have a little more of a lively zest than shit like oceania or whatever.

what these songs made me feel, though, in a more specific way, is that they made me realize just how shitty everyone AROUND corgan has become as well, and how it's not necessarily fair he always has to eat all the shots.

jimmy chamberlain's drums have SUCKED for i don't know how long. he totally lost his unique part crafting ability and the musicianship that makes him special a LONG time ago.
he plays four-on-the-floor coldplay drummer parts now, having very little influence on the song dynamics, power or groove.

james iha doesn't bring back any real flavor for the band. yes he's playing some parts and making things marginally better, but really after so many years of fans shit talking about how his magic was essential for the classic SP sound - this is not a great example for that claim.

and the god damn bass playing is so aggressive and loud and terrible. so stylistically opposite to what OG SP bass was about for 95% of the songs they ever did. is that jack bates? you know what i don't even wanna know it's repulsive

Old 09-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #25
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

D'arcy was the real magic and now Billy Corgan has dead eyes inside

Old 09-27-2020, 04:51 AM   #26
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
isn’t this what he always says with every new release?

the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive
At least the 4th or 5th album where everyone around him has said how amazed they are by it

Old 09-27-2020, 05:10 AM   #27
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i barely made it through some of these songs once. it is not good music. but it does have a little more of a lively zest than shit like oceania or whatever.

what these songs made me feel, though, in a more specific way, is that they made me realize just how shitty everyone AROUND corgan has become as well, and how it's not necessarily fair he always has to eat all the shots.

jimmy chamberlain's drums have SUCKED for i don't know how long. he totally lost his unique part crafting ability and the musicianship that makes him special a LONG time ago.
he plays four-on-the-floor coldplay drummer parts now, having very little influence on the song dynamics, power or groove.

james iha doesn't bring back any real flavor for the band. yes he's playing some parts and making things marginally better, but really after so many years of fans shit talking about how his magic was essential for the classic SP sound - this is not a great example for that claim.

and the god damn bass playing is so aggressive and loud and terrible. so stylistically opposite to what OG SP bass was about for 95% of the songs they ever did. is that jack bates? you know what i don't even wanna know it's repulsive
Yo...
You wanna get slapped or what? Kidding
But man the truth hurts.

Last edited by jakobtheliar : 09-27-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #28
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

i agree with parts of this.

jimmy i think is kinda overthinking his role in the band and his approach to playing at this point, or something. SP is a lot more click driven, i think due to his recent fascination with it and with playing perfectly, or playing super technical stuff - rather than just the rawness of speeding up and down, playing whatever feels right when doing a take, etc

such an amazing part of jimmy's playing and sp as a whole is how songs like porcelina or geek would go from blazing rock to halftime dreamwaves. i don't know if that's jimmy's fault, or just corgan not writing songs like that anymore - cause how much can he really control the narrative? i have no idea what he did in the past - closest i can think is that he instead corgan put Ruby on mcis

also i hate his cymbal choices ever since 2007. it's super bougie dry jazzy stuff, especially for rides. it dies in the mix and doesn't carry the part like it should

~

james, i think it's just that they clearly aren't spending hours rehearsing and working songs out together in a practice space anymore before recording. his live additions to malta, superchrist, etc ARE that magic

Old 09-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #29
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

It is billy solo. The others dont give a shit. I bet james wasnt in the studio more than a week.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #30
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
It is billy solo. The others dont give a shit. I bet james wasnt in the studio more than a week.
Nah man James Iha is all over these tracks? Did you even hear that “chucka chucka” on Spladl? Then there’s that part that goes “Whoooo-eee” on Confession of a Big Willie? That’s my fave part