Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 AM   #1111
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

www.PeopleAndTheirCars.com

>>>

Billy is still selling mugs though:

http://www.madamezuzus.com/shop/new-...ircarscom-mugs

Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #1112
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Three new "PeopleAndTheirCars" mugs exactly. Get yours before it's too late, a rare collector item...!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #1113
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
‘Well, maybe you know, and maybe you don’t, but with this wrestling thing I kind of got myself a bit into a bit of a hole.’

Old 03-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #1114
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
New post on Instagram:

Highly recommended, this talk by Monica Lewinsky around the subject of online shaming and cyber-bullying. I've never had the occasion of meeting Ms. Lewinsky but have long respected her courage and now here, in this talk, she has turned to advocacy to help others who have been shamed by a culture that often celebrates ruin through invasions to privacy and how it affects those most vulnerable (particularly our children). An absolute must watch if you want to help affect positive change or have been affected, as so many have, by the negative shifts in our cultural landscape. And lastly, I applaud Ms Lewinsky for encouraging myself to consider (with empathy) where I have been aggrieved personally and professionally but have also have stood with the cheering mob. Something I think all of us should, with deep compassion, consider in terms of human cost. Link is here for her speech, which lasts some 20 minutes: https://www.ted.com/talks/monica_lewinsky_the_price_of_shame/up-next

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

Sorry Billy. You’re not a victim of cyber shaming or celebrity hating. You’re just legitimately a badperson and people are reacting to it like rational human beings by hating you

Old 03-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #1115
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

3/14/2018

Quote:
At a conference in London, the outspoken manager touched on Madonna, his worst moments ("three deaths and a missing arm") and why Billy Corgan is credited for Q Prime's "no arseholes" policy.

He's one of the most successful, not to mention forthright music managers in the world today, so it was always likely that sparks were going to fly when Q Prime's Peter Mensch sat down for an in-depth discussion at the close of the 30th International Live Music Conference (ILMC), held in London last week.

Quote:
Working with The Smashing Pumpkins

We have a no arseholes rule at Q Prime. It's because of Billy Corgan. He was a very difficult person to work with. He's a really talented guy, just doesn't want to listen to anybody's advice -- at least as far as I could tell.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...ones-interview

Old 03-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #1116
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Q-Prime managed the Smashing Pumpkins from 1995 to 1998:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-team-19981113

Smashing Pumpkins Drop Management Team

By Eric Boehlert
November 13, 1998

The Smashing Pumpkins have left Q Prime management, and the band is now searching for a new handler to guide its career, which in 1998 ran a bit off track.

Q Prime spokeswoman Gayle Fine confirmed the band's departure, but offered no comment. According to Jill Berliner, attorney for the Smashing Pumpkins, the relationship between Q Prime and the band had been "strained for some time," and that "the band's vision differed with management's vision." The Pumpkins joined Q Prime's all-star roster almost exactly three years ago, on the eve of the release of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. That double-CD quickly went multiplatinum and dominated rock, and even pop, radio for much of 1996, with hits such as "Tonight Tonight" and "1979."

The Pumpkins' latest album, Adore, released six months ago, has to be considered a commercial disappointment. To date it has sold 840,000 copies, according to SoundScan, making it the sixty-eighth best-selling album of the year. In this week's Billboard, Adore drops from No. 148 to No.183.

Q Prime, run by Cliff Burnstein and Peter Mensch, is one of the music industry's best-known and successful management companies and counts on its current roster Hole, Madonna (which Q-Prime co-manages), Metallica, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Def Leppard and Bruce Hornsby. Recently, the company has expanded, purchasing half of Volcano Records (home of Matthew Sweet and Tool), and entered the amphitheater business.

Sources speculate that Pumpkin band members (and Billy Corgan in particular) may have felt the band was not getting enough attention from Q Prime.

As for where the band may land next, industry insiders are pointing to the emerging, as yet unnamed, management/record label company being formed by Gary Gersh and John Silva. Gersh resigned as president of Capitol Records last spring, and Silva has been co-president of Gold Mountain management, where he's worked with Beastie Boys, the Foo Fighters, Beck and Sonic Youth. Silva is leaving Gold Mountain and taking his all-star acts -- and possibly the Smashing Pumpkins, too -- with him and teaming up with Gersh to form a new entertainment company. (All of those acts, though, would maintain their existing record label contracts.) Berliner confirms the band is talking with Gersh and Silva, "among others."

As for the band's next move career-wise, one major label VP offers some unsolicited advice: "They need to go away for awhile -- just hide completely and not even let Billy have his picture taken."

The Pumpkins apparently disagree. According to Berliner, the band is expected to enter the studio soon, with a release due out in '99.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #1117
T&T
Socialphobic

they put billy in the back for pictures... boo hoo.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:26 AM   #1118
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
williampcorgan Found this digging in my pics. @lindastrawberry and I from a session of mini-golf, I believe, say from 12 + years ago? It's nice in digging around to see what friendships have endured. And in the case of Strawberry, flowered with time.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #1119
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

well that's easy, it's the ones that never stop to kiss his ass

Old 03-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #1120
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

You too can have Instagram comment posting rights if you have your face firmly entrenched up Billy’s arse.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #1121
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

If you're not numb, you can still vote for the hottest Smashing Pumpkins bass player!
Sadfully not for Jackass Bates, as it was posted in 2012...

http://www.feelnumb.com/2012/06/22/v...pkins-bassist/

Hot as rice krispies?

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 03-25-2018 at 03:37 AM.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #1122
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
You too can have Instagram comment posting rights if you have your fist firmly entrenched up Billy’s arse.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #1123
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...new comments:

Old 03-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #1124
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
That is actually really interesting. Her "check out point" sometime during the Adore era.

(along with a million other people)

Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #1125
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 03-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #1126
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
That is actually really interesting. Her "check out point" sometime during the Adore era.

Respect for D’arcy raised even higher by these comments. She knew the mistakes Billy was making around Adore/Machina. He needed her.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 03-26-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #1127
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Respect for D’arcy raised even higher by these comments. She knew what mistakes Billy was making around Adore/Machina. He needed her.
idk Was Adore a mistake? I thought the image change was dumb but the album itself was fine.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #1128
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

image change was cool.

album was flawed.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #1129
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post

i may be mistaken but i think she's been on the record saying this before, specifically regarding billy and manson

Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #1130
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, the whole riding of Mansons coattails thing was a huge turn off for me at the time too. It was a dumb image route to take considering that the only song that was remotely gothy was Ava Adore and to a lesser extent The Everlasting Gaze.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #1131
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, the whole riding of Mansons coattails thing was a huge turn off for me at the time too. It was a dumb image route to take considering that the only song that was remotely gothy was Ava Adore and to a lesser extent The Everlasting Gaze.
Eye, The End is the Beginning is the End, TBISEISB... pretty much everything bill did in 97. Which was also when Ava Adore debuted live.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #1132
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

A wonder-full older article, portraying douchebags in the music business:

The Top 5 Artists Who Self-Destructed Because of Their Douchbaggery
Posted on March 6, 2010 by Jeff GoodSmith

https://goodsmith.wordpress.com/2010...-douchbaggery/

We live in a 24/7 pop culture obsessed society, where magazines post paparazzi photos of celebrities buying groceries in an attempt to show that they are boring, just like us!. Only hotter and richer.

NO FUCKING WAY! Next you’ll be telling me they cry themselves to sleep at night! JUST LIKE US!

And with the increased exposure of those in the limelight, it’s easier than ever for the public to discover who, deep in their heart of hearts, is a self-serving douchebag. That goes doubly for musicians.

We’ve had all sorts of career jeopardizing douchebaggery come out recently. We have artists who are mma let us finish or who have apparently racist genitalia, and every once and a while, these acts leads to someone fucking up their career faster than a Nevada Senator at a brothel.

As we’ve all seen from every college party we went to that ended with some frat kid with a hemp necklace taking your girlfriend up to his dorm room to serenade her on his acoustic guitar with a song he wrote “just for her,” a lot of musicians are douchebags. So it’s no surprise when a popular artist ends up being an asshole.

But we are a forgiving society, and it’s tough to really fuck things up enough to mess up your image, or your career, irreparably.

Sure, Kanye interrupted a hot white chick (wait, how old is Taylor Swift? *checks Wikipedia* Okay, we can say that) after she got an award, but when he releases his next well reviewed album, it’ll still sell. Kanye’s been crashing award show stages for years, it’s at the point where people are starting to wonder if it’s all some sort of elaborate, calculated joke, like a hip hop version of Andy Kaufman. And sure, John Mayer said his penis is like a white supremacist, but he’s a douchebag with a guitar who became famous for being a douchebag with a guitar. And he’s still got over 3 million followers on Twitter. Their careers won’t be affected by it, not in the long run.

The following douches weren’t so lucky. What douches.

5. Billy Corgan (The Smashing Pumpkins)

Did you know: Smashing Pumpkins is a term for a douchebag act done by teenagers on Halloween. It describes the act of playing groundbreaking, influential music for 12 years before quitting. And after a few years, on Halloween, half of those teenagers come back and kick you in the testicles?

I’m gonna do a reverse Shyamalan on y’all- the twist that makes me come off as a total asshole will come at the beginning of this article. Billy Corgan apparently has a whole slew of mental disorders- depression, OCD, suicidal thoughts, you name it. And normally, that’s something that’ll stop me from from adding an artist to the list. Sure, Daniel Johnston once turned off the engine of a plane and threw out the keys mid-flight, but it’s okay because A- no one died and B- he has some severe mental disorders.

But Billy Corgan is a douche who rises above. This has (probably) not always been the case. The Smashing Pumpkins were pretty sweet for a while. Thousands of teenagers in the 90’s probably lost their virginity while playing The Pumpkins on a stereo as background music. And if not thousands, at least hundreds. Some day you will get to know someone, as a friend or a lover, and “Bullet With Butterfly Wings” was the song they were deflowered to. Just think on that shit. Plus, hell, he was on the Simpsons once. I can’t imagine a douche being on The Simpsons.

“Do you wanna hear about douchebags, or do you want to see me hit some dingers?”

And you can’t blame him for the in-fighting that led to the breakup of The Smashing Pumpkins. That happens. And you can’t blame him for Zwain, he even admits that was a bad idea after the fact. In fact, the crazy level of douche that hit Corgan didn’t really happen until he decided to “get the band back together.” You know, the reunited Smashing Pumpkins? With only two of the original members? Which is no longer popular (possibly probably because of the douchebaggery of Billy Corgan)?

Holy hell you could make a time line of the shit this man pulled. Almost immediately, he starts going to the media to blame former members of the band for the band’s break up, then he did the whole “corporate sell out” thing by selling four separate versions of his albums to the large retail chains (because fuck the Independent music stores that made the band popular in the first place).

Oh and here’s a video of Billy Corgan inviting a heckling fan on stage, and then telling him “Oh by the way, I like that song you wrote- ‘take your dick out of my ass and stick it in my mouth'”

All I’m saying is, I’ve seen nuts punched for less. And if you ever wonder why the band is apparently no longer releasing albums, and just posting songs online like a high school band with a cassette demo, part of it might be that Billy Corgan’s ego has gotten so huge he’s no longer writing good music, and instead is focusing on Jessica Simpson and professional wrestling. Oh and he’s writing a memoir now? Great, just fucking great…
His reputation has definitely grown the last eight years...

Old 03-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #1133
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Thumbs up

Quote:
...new comments:

Yesssssssssss D'arcy my queeeeeeeeeen

Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #1134
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

We know she's lying tho

Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 AM   #1135
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Now 100% official: the guy armed with the 100% nuts-risk and a lousy Yamaha guitar

Yamaha Guitars
Congrats to Yamaha Artist Jack Bates on being named bassist of The Smashing Pumpkins! Jack will be heading out on the 'Shiny and Oh So Bright' tour armed with his BB734A.
#YamahaBasses #SmashingPumpkins

Old 03-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #1136
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

It's so dumb going with a male bass player.

Smashing Pumpkins is not, and should never be, an all-male band.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #1137
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

after having fired Nicole and the D'arcy debacle, I am not sure it wouldn't look worse if he'd hire a female bass player for this tour.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 AM   #1138
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Doug: "Fuck off, losers!"

Jack Bates: "That's wasn't very nice."

Old 03-27-2018, 05:44 AM   #1139
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
after having fired Nicole and the D'arcy debacle, I am not sure it wouldn't look worse if he'd hire a female bass player for this tour.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #1140
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

D’Arcy is a train wreck in those comments. She’s just making herself look worse by the minute.