Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 05:50 AM   #1981
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeitgeist was where it all went wrong

the album equivalent of Billy trying to relive his youth by half heartedly masturbating to a blurry picture of an ex girlfriend

Old 05-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #1982
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

at least he has an ex girlfriend

Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #1983
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I didn't say it was his ex girlfriend. Prob James Ihas ex girlfriend. Oh...

Old 05-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #1984
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
The Zwan album was great and fun and funny. Prob one of the greatest albums I got, in a good way I suppose. It seemed healthy times and Billys head wasn't stuck up his own arse being slowly digested
Are you kidding?

I followed Zwan from day one, and the first club shows created a solid underground buzz. For a moment, Billy was cool again with actual indie-rock listening, bar-going adults. All he had to do was nurture this fan base for an album or so until the mainstream adult rock-listening demographic caught up.

Problem is; Corgan said "FUCK THE INDIE SCENE - I HAVE MILLIONS OF FANS" and dropped MSOTS like he was still a mainstream artist. The CD was fucking everywhere. He was doing the mainstream press circuit - expecting Pajo and Sweeney to act like mainstream megastars.

The mainstream didn't know who the fuck Zwan was. The mainstream didn't know who Pajo and Sweeney were. The band should have been doing smaller tours and making independent releases that critics would have fawned over.

Zwan could have been critics' darlings and been filling arenas by the end of the 2000s.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #1985
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm a Zwan superfan.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #1986
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Are you kidding?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #1987
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I'm a Zwan superfan.
If you were a super fan you woulda got the baby let’s rock reference there sparky. Yes baby let’s rock. Maybe the best song Billy ever wrote. Na actually the best song he ever wrote was that one where he goes “maybe we were born to cum together..or whatever!” Fucking hell, sexy Billy. He wouldn’t do that now he’d say “strange lover , strange lovers” so you know what you little shit..zwan fucking rules and you suck

Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #1988
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Are you kidding?

I followed Zwan from day one, and the first club shows created a solid underground buzz. For a moment, Billy was cool again with actual indie-rock listening, bar-going adults. All he had to do was nurture this fan base for an album or so until the mainstream adult rock-listening demographic caught up.

Problem is; Corgan said "FUCK THE INDIE SCENE - I HAVE MILLIONS OF FANS" and dropped MSOTS like he was still a mainstream artist. The CD was fucking everywhere. He was doing the mainstream press circuit - expecting Pajo and Sweeney to act like mainstream megastars.

The mainstream didn't know who the fuck Zwan was. The mainstream didn't know who Pajo and Sweeney were. The band should have been doing smaller tours and making independent releases that critics would have fawned over.

Zwan could have been critics' darlings and been filling arenas by the end of the 2000s.
Yep. Zwan up until the album release was Billy's normal period.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #1989
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Is this fucken tour over yet or what

Or is Jerf Shriddar still out there celebrating his groundbreaking achievements

Old 05-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #1990
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Is this fucken tour over yet or what

Or is Jerf Shriddar still out there celebrating his groundbreaking achievements
I believe the tour finished last week. The new album came out but it didn't make the Billboard top 500 releases of the week. Jeff quit the band and now finally it's just Billy, like Billy always wanted. There was an announcement about an announcement that the next album will come out in October and be called Oligalala's Zeigeist 2, it comes with free packaged tea for a $9.95 surcharge.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #1991
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
If you were a super fan you woulda got the baby let’s rock reference there sparky. Yes baby let’s rock. Maybe the best song Billy ever wrote. Na actually the best song he ever wrote was that one where he goes “maybe we were born to cum together..or whatever!” Fucking hell, sexy Billy. He wouldn’t do that now he’d say “strange lover , strange lovers” so you know what you little shit..zwan fucking rules and you suck
Dude, my Zwan bootleg playlist is longer than your post count.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #1992
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Most the Zwan bootlegs sound like there were recorded through an Arby’s drive thru speaker.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #1993
fuzzyroes
Banned

I know we're all super jaded and stuff, but I've been browsing around online today, and a lot of young people seem legitimately excited about the reunion.

There's a whole generation of kids for who the Pumpkins music is new and exciting.

You can look on Youtube and there's tons of young kids doing Pumpkins covers and shit. This tours directed at people like that.

Gotta hand it to the RBG looking kid. He does the screaming "WHAT HAVE YOU GOT" part better than Corgan does now

Old 05-22-2018, 01:04 AM   #1994
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Most the Zwan bootlegs sound like there were recorded through an Arby’s drive thru speaker.

I would kill for a soundboard mix of the first couple of shows.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #1995
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Hahaha- zwan was fail. Noone knows who zwan was. Only sp fans know about the band.
Where is solara? I bet we hear an overproduced song with billy up ib the front mix

Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #1996
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Solara is probably gonna be shit but

BUT

Remember when "Being Beige" dropped? "T LEE DOING THE COLDPLAY BEAT!!!" It was a disaster. We lost a lotta good men that day. But then the album came out and hey you know what... it had some songs on it that weren't quite as awful as "Being Beige" and everyone was happy.

Then he followed it up with Run2Me as a single. With a video and everything. Probably the worst SP song ever and he released it as a single.

Aeronaught is a shit song but the album is alright... I suppose. It's fine. I quite like the album.

So don't lose hope if you don't like Solara. There's gonna be some good stuff somewhere somehow. Praise him!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #1997
FoolofaTook

who, satan?

Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 AM   #1998
bigoltitties
Pledge

Nice that one of the new tunes comes from Jimmy. That bodes well.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #1999
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

No it doesn't the guys a nut. worse than billy.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #2000
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Solara is probably gonna be shit but

BUT

Remember when "Being Beige" dropped? "T LEE DOING THE COLDPLAY BEAT!!!" It was a disaster. We lost a lotta good men that day.
Good Times
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181637
Lets compare it to when Solara comes out.

Quote:
But then the album came out and hey you know what... it had some songs on it that weren't quite as awful as "Being Beige" and everyone was happy.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #2001
fuzzyroes
Banned

My prediction:

Song will be kinda cool, but ultimately fail to meet the high expectations.

No way it's gonna be an outright turd. It just can't happen with Jimmy and James playing on it.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #2002
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
My prediction:

Song will be kinda cool, but ultimately fail to meet the high expectations.

No way it's gonna be an outright turd. It just can't happen with Jimmy and James playing on it.
I'm gonna ref this post in about 2 weeks. "No way it's gonna be an outright turd". Yeah buddy, sure.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #2003
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy and James have played on plenty of turds + James isn't even playing on any of this shit

Old 05-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #2004
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I imagined the song yesterday as I was driving my car. I know the Pumpkins music tropes so well that my imagination just stuck a couple of them together and there was the song.

Definitely started with a "So-so-so-soLARA" vocal hook but not in an annoying way. The main riff is good, and the verses cut out the heavy guitars to more a Silverfuck verse vibe, with Jimmy on the toms, and with quieter guitars, though the beat / tempo was more like the track "Monuments".

Then there was an ascending riff which served as the bridge, with a bar cut off at each end, with James Iha e-bow squalls, then it went to the chorus which was based around a four - six chord pattern, but strangely didn't rely on the vocal hook - that is more the post-chorus refrain (and a great radio hook).

Thankfully Billy didn't stack his vocals this time, and sang a little softer. Jimmy was on top form, giving it all on the toms. James was more in the background but you could tell his taste influenced the approach - he was never going to agree with stacked Billy.

Guitar solo was old school, with a twin lead harmony right at the end. This came back over the outro, which combined the chorus and the so-so-so-soLARA hook. James was singing at this stage as well.

In my mind it sounded pretty good. I'd record it myself if I could remember it and translate it into the real world.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #2005
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I imagined the song yesterday as I was driving my car. I know the Pumpkins music tropes so well that my imagination just stuck a couple of them together and there was the song.

Definitely started with a "So-so-so-soLARA" vocal hook but not in an annoying way. The main riff is good, and the verses cut out the heavy guitars to more a Silverfuck verse vibe, with Jimmy on the toms, and with quieter guitars, though the beat / tempo was more like the track "Monuments".

Then there was an ascending riff which served as the bridge, with a bar cut off at each end, with James Iha e-bow squalls, then it went to the chorus which was based around a four - six chord pattern, but strangely didn't rely on the vocal hook - that is more the post-chorus refrain (and a great radio hook).

Thankfully Billy didn't stack his vocals this time, and sang a little softer. Jimmy was on top form, giving it all on the toms. James was more in the background but you could tell his taste influenced the approach - he was never going to agree with stacked Billy.

Guitar solo was old school, with a twin lead harmony right at the end. This came back over the outro, which combined the chorus and the so-so-so-soLARA hook. James was singing at this stage as well.

In my mind it sounded pretty good. I'd record it myself if I could remember it and translate it into the real world.
ok

Old 05-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #2006
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Where did The Shredder fit in? Did his part turn it into a wet dream?

Old 05-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #2007
FoolofaTook

Quote:

jesus fuck

Old 05-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #2008
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Too bad no one crashed into you

Old 05-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #2009
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
James was more in the background but you could tell his taste influenced the approach - he was never going to agree with stacked Billy.
That is some funny shit.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #2010
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:

QFP