Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #1441
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

there's really no reason for him to even answer that question other than to take a dig at her

Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #1442
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
The fact she didn't invite him to the Courtney Love tribute event she held, considering her link to both of them, suggests they're not on great terms.
his insecurities and pathological narcissism suggest they're not on great terms.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #1443
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
The encouraging:

"that's why i don't fight it but encourage the delusion"

ok. in other words, yes, i pretend to hate my fans because they are delusional.

what a horse cock. he's a FATHER. time to grow up, b'arcy.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #1444
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I say rude things to my fans because they think I'm rude? Some logic there

Old 11-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #1445
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

What the fuck did you just fucking say about WPC? WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT DOUBLE_U_PEE_SEE??

Old 11-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #1446
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #1447
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

... and NONE of them believed that Monuments was a 3-star album.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #1448
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Bridges burned with Melissa too:

I mean, why would you want this...

when you already have THIS?!!!

Old 11-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #1449
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I am a big fan of what Melissa brought to the SP sound. She pushed Billy like no other, playing so hard and with so much energy her tracks were like a locomotive under James & Bill. She played out in front of the pocket too, which worked so well with Jim's animal style drumming in 2000 always pushing the tempo and pushing the crowd.

RIP

Old 11-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #1450
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Melissa began to upstage Billy with her stage presence. That was her biggest mistake...

...Beside being befriended and working together with James, when Billy and James had their feud.

Her relationship with Dave Grohl during her time with the Pumpkins may have upset him too.

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 11-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #1451
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
I am a big fan of what Melissa brought to the SP sound. She pushed Billy like no other, playing so hard and with so much energy her tracks were like a locomotive under James & Bill. She played out in front of the pocket too, which worked so well with Jim's animal style drumming in 2000 always pushing the tempo and pushing the crowd.

RIP

...cued up:

Old 11-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #1452
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

Why did the fans embrace Melissa so much during the Machina era? Was it simply because people thought she was attractive? Wasn't there any sort of sentimental misgivings with her being D'arcy's replacement?

Nobody really cared too much about Matt Walker and nobody even knew the names of the touring musicians on the Adore tour.

I wasn't around during the Machina era and have never understood why Melissa garners so much from fans. I've thought her playing was more suited to Red Hot Chili Peppers or Primus more than SP.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #1453
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathy View Post
I've thought her playing was more suited to Red Hot Chili Peppers or Primus more than SP.
oh yeah because she slapped and popped so much

Old 11-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #1454
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
...cued up:

Blah... no.. sorry. Her energy is cool and it's nice that she seemed to get into her role as a new member of the band, but her playing is all off. Too fast and in your face. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #1455
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

her tone was shit but still she was the coolest member of tsp. cooler than jimbo "guns" chamberlin.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #1456
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Daaaaaaamn....ENERGY!!!!!!!! >>>

Old 11-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #1457
FoolofaTook

speaking of which i haven't seen rambro about lately.

hope u ok ram

Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #1458
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.stereogum.com/2014140/au...ses/interview/

Mildy interesting.

“STEREOGUM: Another anniversary this year was Smashing Pumpkins’ 30th. You were there at almost the beginning and, sort of, one of the endings.

AUF DER MAUR: I didn’t realize it was their 30th, I just all the sudden saw they were playing Madison Square Garden. I was like, “Oh, whoa, how did that happen? And James is part of it!?” Especially because I don’t read news online. I read local newspapers. I didn’t know it was happening until recently. I mean, yeah, full-circle in terms of that band. That’s a band that changed my life. It was in 1991. So their 30 years, what’re they saying is their 30 years?

STEREOGUM: They’re going back to a gig in 1988.

AUF DER MAUR: Right. So I met them in ’91, and then my band in Montreal opened up for them on the Siamese Dream tour in 1994. That band and Billy Corgan are single-handedly some of the most influential turning points in my life as a musician. Their legacy isn’t in the gutters of YouTube. He hasn’t stopped. He just keeps going in these strange, new versions. I am not in touch with them. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s just … maybe he doesn’t use the internet, either, I don’t know. I’m happy they’re playing the hits for the diehard fans. They were playing in Montreal, but I was on an island of 200 people in the Baltic Sea playing a silent film festival score. [Laughs] It was the same week, otherwise I would’ve gone to the show in Montreal. I would’ve liked to have seen it.

STEREOGUM: So you have similarly warm feelings towards the past there as you do Hole.

AUF DER MAUR: Truly that band, that album Gish, changed my life. Seeing them live, and then when I met Billy Corgan and he really believed in me and had my band open up for him and recommended me to Hole. He’s a major mentor in my life. And that will never go away, even if we never speak again. The things that I love, I don’t necessarily have to have in my day-to-day life. I can just love it and remember it. And sometimes it’s better that way, like ex-boyfriends. [Laughs] I love my ex-boyfriends but I don’t necessarily hang out with them and their wives. So yes, very very fond memories, and I do wish I could’ve gone to the Montreal show and heard “I Am One” all these years later. That would’ve been incredible.”

Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #1459
FoolofaTook

like i said before. she sounds like a reasonable, well-adjusted, self-respecting individual. no wonder the Bald Lord wants nothing to do with her.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #1460
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Hopefully the "Judas O Was Extortion" story is the reason Real Love didn't get remixed for the release. Hearing that song without fuzz is a holy grail.
Agreed!

Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1461
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Why did the fans embrace Melissa so much during the Machina era? Was it simply because people thought she was attractive? Wasn't there any sort of sentimental misgivings with her being D'arcy's replacement?

Nobody really cared too much about Matt Walker and nobody even knew the names of the touring musicians on the Adore tour.

I wasn't around during the Machina era and have never understood why Melissa garners so much from fans. I've thought her playing was more suited to Red Hot Chili Peppers or Primus more than SP.
K, that RHCP comment is nuts. She plays nothing like that.

I think at the time Melissa was embraced because she was and is fucking cool. She's a decent, interesting, intelligent person, she fitted the aesthetic of the band, she felt like a good fit. In retrospect her style doesn't quite gel, she has a tendency to push forward where really the bass in SP needs to sit back a little, the way D'arcy (and later Ginger and Jack) played but she had great stage presence. I don't think anyone really noticed the musical issue at the time because this was pre-youtube: bootlegs and show footage was jealously traded, we didn't hear every show as and when it happened. And when you're at the show the energy carries a lot of your enjoyment and you don't always notice the detail. And of course, Rock On aside, she never appeared on record. Although, just on balance, I think it was working a lot better by the end of 2000 when the band had had some time to bed it in. By which time it was too late.

I have a lot of respect for MAdM as a player, and her first solo album is genuinely one of my favorite albums, but in retrospect she struggled to gel in SP.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #1462
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
https://www.stereogum.com/2014140/au...ses/interview/

Mildy interesting.

“STEREOGUM: Another anniversary this year was Smashing Pumpkins’ 30th. You were there at almost the beginning and, sort of, one of the endings.

AUF DER MAUR: I didn’t realize it was their 30th, I just all the sudden saw they were playing Madison Square Garden. I was like, “Oh, whoa, how did that happen? And James is part of it!?” Especially because I don’t read news online. I read local newspapers. I didn’t know it was happening until recently. I mean, yeah, full-circle in terms of that band. That’s a band that changed my life. It was in 1991. So their 30 years, what’re they saying is their 30 years?

STEREOGUM: They’re going back to a gig in 1988.

AUF DER MAUR: Right. So I met them in ’91, and then my band in Montreal opened up for them on the Siamese Dream tour in 1994. That band and Billy Corgan are single-handedly some of the most influential turning points in my life as a musician. Their legacy isn’t in the gutters of YouTube. He hasn’t stopped. He just keeps going in these strange, new versions. I am not in touch with them. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s just … maybe he doesn’t use the internet, either, I don’t know. I’m happy they’re playing the hits for the diehard fans. They were playing in Montreal, but I was on an island of 200 people in the Baltic Sea playing a silent film festival score. [Laughs] It was the same week, otherwise I would’ve gone to the show in Montreal. I would’ve liked to have seen it.

STEREOGUM: So you have similarly warm feelings towards the past there as you do Hole.

AUF DER MAUR: Truly that band, that album Gish, changed my life. Seeing them live, and then when I met Billy Corgan and he really believed in me and had my band open up for him and recommended me to Hole. He’s a major mentor in my life. And that will never go away, even if we never speak again. The things that I love, I don’t necessarily have to have in my day-to-day life. I can just love it and remember it. And sometimes it’s better that way, like ex-boyfriends. [Laughs] I love my ex-boyfriends but I don’t necessarily hang out with them and their wives. So yes, very very fond memories, and I do wish I could’ve gone to the Montreal show and heard “I Am One” all these years later. That would’ve been incredible.”
They haven't played "I Am One" on this tour: BANNED!

Old 11-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #1463
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:

Who the fuck are you? Who the fuck are some of these low count posters with nothing of value to add?

HUR HUR WHY DID PEOPLE LIKE MELISSA AND NOT MATT WALKER HUR HUR

Old 11-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #1464
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Melissa had a terrible tone during the SP years. She sounded like a retarded Les Claypool

Old 11-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #1465
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Who the fuck are you? Who the fuck are some of these low count posters with nothing of value to add?

HUR HUR WHY DID PEOPLE LIKE MELISSA AND NOT MATT WALKER HUR HUR
He's right though. People did only like Melissa because she was hot. Her bass tone sounded like absolute ass.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #1466
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
K, that RHCP comment is nuts. She plays nothing like that.

I think at the time Melissa was embraced because she was and is fucking cool. She's a decent, interesting, intelligent person, she fitted the aesthetic of the band, she felt like a good fit. In retrospect her style doesn't quite gel, she has a tendency to push forward where really the bass in SP needs to sit back a little, the way D'arcy (and later Ginger and Jack) played but she had great stage presence. I don't think anyone really noticed the musical issue at the time because this was pre-youtube: bootlegs and show footage was jealously traded, we didn't hear every show as and when it happened. And when you're at the show the energy carries a lot of your enjoyment and you don't always notice the detail. And of course, Rock On aside, she never appeared on record. Although, just on balance, I think it was working a lot better by the end of 2000 when the band had had some time to bed it in. By which time it was too late.

I have a lot of respect for MAdM as a player, and her first solo album is genuinely one of my favorite albums, but in retrospect she struggled to gel in SP.
I think that's fair, and it's obvious from the interview snippet shared above that she's a down to earth and sincere person. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #1467
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I find this "fans only liked Melissa/any other female member because she was hot" always funny. sp fans = 100% male and straight, got it

Old 11-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #1468
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I find this "fans only liked Melissa/any other female member because she was hot" always funny. sp fans = 100% male and straight, got it
Billy has scared off all the LGBT and women that’s for sure

Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #1469
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Billy has scared off all the LGBT and women that’s for sure
And most of the straight white men too.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #1470
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I think Ginger and possibly Nicole were embraced by the fans just as much, comparitively, it's just that everyone also hated Billy to a substantially larger degree by that pen so you were only going to hear so much approval for the other players supporting his continuance of the SP name by that point, unless of course it was the original members since they were seemingly the only ones who could truly "save him"

Melissa did have a particular positivity about her though, that D'arcy had probably lost entirely by, I don't know, the Adore era and didn't want to be in the band years before she quit. Considering fans were on better terms with the band the idea of someone with a fresh enthusiasm playing with them probably felt pretty good